[ROM][4.2.2] Slim Bean-Epic 4G [Unofficial][Build v8.0]

Search This thread

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
haha I'll think about it but I doubt that'll end up happening. since what I fix is made for only myself officially and not hosted here I doubt it'll be any real issue. Althought I do like the concept of making the changes in to a flashable zip that may be able to be applied to multiple roms instead of just one for general tweaks. Could be some thing I play with when time allows. I am about to run a test on slim atm and likely upload in my usual place if all looks well. Still thinking I'll stick with bulimicPacman though :)

yea there's a touch based cwm floating around.

Alrighty then I got the PacMan ROM installed. Only now it seems a little sluggish/buggy. When installing SlimBean, should I install directly over PacMan without wiping anything or do I have to wipe cache, dalvik, factory/data restor & format /system first?

Exactly which files needs to be deleted in the Slim-4.2.2.build.1.2-epicmtd-20130309-1019-UNOFFICIAL1.zip to get rid of the bootanimation?

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

could you clarify on that for me? maybe it's just late but what is the larger support you'd like to see?

if by support you mean grabbing you the link : http://bit.ly/12OCpGI

also with the texas given instructions about getting the modem going on this rom with my script, is there any reason not to just link to the detailed post I made about applying the swap? rather than having like 10 different sets of instructions at some point it could be nice to point everyone to one post, and give feedback on how to clarify the post to help others later on. the whole 10 sets of different instructions and different files didn't help the modem swapping in the past. but that's just my opinion. it would also be nice to get some thanks for the work. there's a healthy amount of downloads and a total of 4 thanks.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38936164&postcount=1510

some more fun information : Original Pacman 153mb, 1st Pac(man)k 148mb, Original Slimbean 124mb, Bulimic Pac(man)k 104mb, 1st SlimK 93mb
friendly reminder : all my stuff is hosted on goo.im and can be found through goomanager also (including changelogs as of recent times). all my roms come with goomanager (or should). there are no official threads for my stuff as it's for personal use only, the official roms are the ones with the dedicated threads. If you install my rom, leave goomanager on it and you will be notified of updates. no thread to follow or anything like that so it's fairly simple to stay up to date.

ps thank you unjustified this is better than I remember it being. nicely done and await future updates. xboxfanj is right about codefirex running pretty beastly also :)

Yes I meant a touchscreen based CWM lol. Thanks. I'll try it out now.

epic559

Oct 17, 2012
Fresno,Cali 559
Re: [ROM][4.2.2] Slim Bean-Epic 4G [Build v1.0]

Alrighty then I got the PacMan ROM installed. Only now it seems a little sluggish/buggy. When installing SlimBean, should I install directly over PacMan without wiping anything or do I have to wipe cache, dalvik, factory/data restor & format /system first?

Exactly which files needs to be deleted in the Slim-4.2.2.build.1.2-epicmtd-20130309-1019-UNOFFICIAL1.zip to get rid of the bootanimation?

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Yes I meant a touchscreen based CWM lol. Thanks. I'll try it out now.

U need a fresh wipe for every new rom its very recommended and if it boots no need 2 delete anything ....so witch pacman did u install?and did the stuff that didn't work b4 work on pacman?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
U need a fresh wipe for every new rom its very recommended and if it boots no need 2 delete anything ....so witch pacman did u install?and did the stuff that didn't work b4 work on pacman?

Alright thanks. Fresh wipe every new ROM. Got it. I installed this PacMan:

epicmtd_PAC_JB_4.2.2-v20.1.0_05MAR2013-165557.zip

The issue I was having is that the screen wouldn't turn on right away. It took a couple of seconds to turn on. The capacitive keys lit up but, the screen stayed off for about 10-15 seconds. Even after toggling the power button to wake/sleep the screen, it still took some time for the screen to turn on. General navigation of the menus seemed sluggish & stuttery. It wasn't to my satisfaction so I just re-installed a CM10 experimental:

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

Which is the ROM I was previously using & it's to my liking. CM10 is running just fine with no hiccups.

Before flashing the CM10, I tried to install SlimBean after PacMan. Ran a full cache wipe, dalvik wipe, wipe data/factory reset and mounts and storage > format /system wipe. Tried to install SlimBean untouched. With that, it hang at the SlimBean bootsplash. I then deleted the directory:

Slim-4.2.2.build.1.2-epicmtd-20130309-1019-UNOFFICIAL1.zip\system\media\bootanimaion.zip

With that, it hang at the "SAMSUNG WWW.SAMSUNGMOBILE.COM" bootsplash.

epic559

Oct 17, 2012
Fresno,Cali 559

Alright thanks. Fresh wipe every new ROM. Got it. I installed this PacMan:

epicmtd_PAC_JB_4.2.2-v20.1.0_05MAR2013-165557.zip

The issue I was having is that the screen wouldn't turn on right away. It took a couple of seconds to turn on. The capacitive keys lit up but, the screen stayed off for about 10-15 seconds. Even after toggling the power button to wake/sleep the screen, it still took some time for the screen to turn on. General navigation of the menus seemed sluggish & stuttery. It wasn't to my satisfaction so I just re-installed a CM10 experimental:

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

Which is the ROM I was previously using & it's to my liking. CM10 is running just fine with no hiccups.

Before flashing the CM10, I tried to install SlimBean after PacMan. Ran a full cache wipe, dalvik wipe, wipe data/factory reset and mounts and storage > format /system wipe. Tried to install SlimBean untouched. With that, it hang at the SlimBean bootsplash. I then deleted the directory:

Slim-4.2.2.build.1.2-epicmtd-20130309-1019-UNOFFICIAL1.zip\system\media\bootanimaion.zip

With that, it hang at the "SAMSUNG WWW.SAMSUNGMOBILE.COM" bootsplash.

Damn what the hell lol u got me man idk that's crazy I really wanted this to work for u...when u said u tried to install slimbean untouched did u not wipe anything?

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Damn what the hell lol u got me man idk that's crazy I really wanted this to work for u...when u said u tried to install slimbean untouched did u not wipe anything?

I wiped both times, untouched & touched. Both methods left me with a bootsplash hang.

cerchiara

Oct 17, 2007
Hi Guys,

So I upgraded to this rom and for some reason I'm having issues installing apps in the market place when I'm on 4G. I keep getting this message that "package file is invalid". I cleared the cache, uninstalled updates in the market but problem still persist. Once I switch to 3G or wifi all is fine. It happens with all apps but for peoples testing purposes it just happened to me again when trying to download AdAway.

My Upgrade steps
ROM --> Gapps --> swapnexusmodem --> LF2 Modem -->Kernel

Any ideas guys? Should I go back to a epic modem?

Last edited:

insanity213

Oct 2, 2010
Hi Guys,

So I upgraded to this rom and for some reason I'm having issues installing apps in the market place when I'm on 4G. I keep getting this message that "package file is invalid". I cleared the cache, uninstalled updates in the market but problem still persist. Once I switch to 3G or wifi all is fine. It happens with all apps but for peoples testing purposes it just happened to me again when trying to download AdAway.

My Upgrade steps
ROM --> Gapps --> swapnexusmodem --> LF2 Modem -->Kernel

Any ideas guys? Should I go back to a epic modem?

I had all kinds of weird market issues. I deleted Vending.apk and replaced it with this....

http://files.devphone.org/epic4g/Phonesky.apk

I ripped the new market apk off my Gnex running Slim. It's not themed inverted anymore, but it works.

boruko

Feb 26, 2010
This ROM is epic!!!!! Had no problems installing. Came from CM 10.1 with NS4G modem. Followed Texas' instructions minus the kernel (seems I already had a compatible one installed) and voilà! I can't say enough how awesome this is. I've only messed around with it for maybe 30 min but so far everything's operating slim smooth. The touch kb is peculiar to me with all of the keys not having a long press function, but that's a personal problem along with no cLock widget (the dashboard clock works fine, though).

AHHHHHHHHH :victory: I can't control myself haha Thank you soooo much for this effsi, unjustified and everyone who helped ya'll on this! I don't think I could press the "Thanks" button enough here! (being a college student about to graduate, I don't have any real thanks like a beer to share with you but in due time I shall.)

- b

Reactions: TexasLTE

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland

Once again, thank you Unjust for getting this rom to us, and thank you Effsi for working your usual magic on Slim! I'm running your Slim build and will run it for a few days or so and see how the real world performance is. And to the poster above me, hardware key options are there! Just go to Settings > Interface > General > Hardware Keys. Everything is there :D

Reactions: TexasLTE

insanity213

Oct 2, 2010
Once again, thank you Unjust for getting this rom to us, and thank you Effsi for working your usual magic on Slim! I'm running your Slim build and will run it for a few days or so and see how the real world performance is. And to the poster above me, hardware key options are there! Just go to Settings > Interface > General > Hardware Keys. Everything is there :D

Options for the search key are missing... And the key itself does nothing. This ROM is great, but fixing the search and haptic/vibration functions that are missing would make it perfect.

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland

Options for the search key are missing... And the key itself does nothing. This ROM is great, but fixing the search and haptic/vibration functions that are missing would make it perfect.

Oh snap, I didn't realize, hahaha. Maybe those functions will be added back in the new build possibly? I don't use the search key at all and I turn vibration off on every rom, so the lack of those features aren't too rough on me at all.

Reactions: boruko

boruko

Feb 26, 2010

I was referring to the keyboard not having an "!" under the "z" key and such, it's all under the "." button with a long press, hold n drag. I do know of the capacitive/hardware keys, though. I've "disabled" them to take full advantage of the navbar.

Thanks for your help, though.

- b

insanity213

Oct 2, 2010
Oh snap, I didn't realize, hahaha. Maybe those functions will be added back in the new build possibly? I don't use the search key at all and I turn vibration off on every rom, so the lack of those features aren't too rough on me at all.

I like the search key bringing me directly into google now, so I can tap a button and yell at the "computer". Makes me feel like I'm in Star Trek....

The vibrations turn me on. Also, I'm half deaf and usually don't hear the phone ringing in my pocket. Without the sexy vibrations I miss calls.

xfilemanx

Jun 2, 2011
Kansas City
I don't see the back-kill option in the Developer Options.
I looked all over also. Am I blind or is not in there?

Never mind....I"m an idiot.....found it

Last edited:

lcovel

Jul 10, 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
could you clarify on that for me? maybe it's just late but what is the larger support you'd like to see?

also with the texas given instructions about getting the modem going on this rom with my script, is there any reason not to just link to the detailed post I made about applying the swap? rather than having like 10 different sets of instructions at some point it could be nice to point everyone to one post, and give feedback on how to clarify the post to help others later on. the whole 10 sets of different instructions and different files didn't help the modem swapping in the past. but that's just my opinion. it would also be nice to get some thanks for the work. there's a healthy amount of downloads and a total of 4 thanks.

some more fun information : Original Pacman 153mb, 1st Pac(man)k 148mb, Original Slimbean 124mb, Bulimic Pac(man)k 104mb, 1st SlimK 93mb
friendly reminder : all my stuff is hosted on goo.im and can be found through goomanager also (including changelogs as of recent times). all my roms come with goomanager (or should). there are no official threads for my stuff as it's for personal use only, the official roms are the ones with the dedicated threads. If you install my rom, leave goomanager on it and you will be notified of updates. no thread to follow or anything like that so it's fairly simple to stay up to date.

ps thank you unjustified this is better than I remember it being. nicely done and await future updates. xboxfanj is right about codefirex running pretty beastly also :)

I might have been one of the guilty ones who forgot to "Thank" for the fine work on the flashables. Thanks for making it possible. :)

cerchiara

Oct 17, 2007

lcovel

Jul 10, 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Thanks! but this somewhat worked for me. I am now able to download without the error but I'm missing apps. As in adaway is now missing from the market.

If its any help, I had that same problem with finding apps that I should have been able to download (drop-box, ad-away, etc). For me it turned out that the problem was with the DPI setting for the play-store itself. Once I set the DPI to the default of 240 for my epic, then rebooted, cleared play store data, then rebooted again, my market registered okay and all the apps I needed were visible for download again
Hope it helps.

Reactions: Unjustified Dev

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN

I'll clean up the thread and upload the new build as soon as I get back from spring break thanks everyone for your help and effsi I will add your link to the thread.
Sent from my C5155 using xda app-developers app

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Can't wait to see more stable builds of this. Looks promising. Normally I wouldn't mind multi-step processes but, my spirit is currently broken. Best of luck dev. Enjoy your springs folks :D

cerchiara

Oct 17, 2007

If its any help, I had that same problem with finding apps that I should have been able to download (drop-box, ad-away, etc). For me it turned out that the problem was with the DPI setting for the play-store itself. Once I set the DPI to the default of 240 for my epic, then rebooted, cleared play store data, then rebooted again, my market registered okay and all the apps I needed were visible for download again
Hope it helps.

Looks like the issue atleast for adaway is that it was just removed from the market. So Far things look good by using the market from the nexus. Also if anyone is looking for adaway you can still get it through the app called Fdroid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XZrUeTA.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
    2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
    3. Full hardware key rebinding!
    4. Keyboard rotation
    5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Changelog
    Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
    • IRC: #slimusers @freenode
    • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
    • Google+ [link]
    • Twitter [link]
    • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
    For Most Users
    Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
    • Download the latest build from DynamicN [here]
    • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
    • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
    • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

Ns4g modem users only If you don't know please ignore this and flash as usual
    Here
    Thanks Effsi for creating the files

Effsi instructions for ns4g users
    Here

FAQ
    Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Thanks!
    DynamicN
    You can find the full list of credits here

Source
    visit Slim Source for the rom source code.
    well i would love to see larger support

I would like to thank Unjustified Dev, Effsi, Didhiy, Xboxfanj and everyone else who has answered questions and helped! Thank you for letting Slim Bean use your kernel and BigMem patch Didhiy!

I present you with Slim Bean Build 4.0

Rom http://d-h.st/9II
    Slim Gapps http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/downloads/all/viewdownload/24-addons/1642-slim-gapps-4-2-2-build-4
    SlimKat 4.4.2 build 3.8

Slim-epicmtd-4.4.2.build.3.8-UNOFFICIAL-20140319-0255

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6C4m7E5KsaaWkhEbDl1Tjl5T2M/edit?usp=sharing

Uses the kernel from bbelos 0318 build since when I compiled I some how included a kernel with twrp which didn't work right and made me have to odin. probably some small errors here and there since I rushed this out. Data seems fine, haven't tested mms or anything much yet

I tried to upload to goo.im but can't seem to login my ftp?

Edit : data died at some point, replaced with my edited apn file from my cm builds and it kicked back in. Hardware keyboard arrows are mixed up, some stock files were also removed. When I get home in 8 hours ill reupload one with the apn file baked in assuming I don't run in to any other glaring bugs while running this today at work.
    I would suggest U include a kernel ..... then folks can switch if they want to .. ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

I'm thinkin I'm going to include Didhiy's newest kernel.

Sorry must have described the issue wrong.
    If I power down then reboot, it freezes on start up animation. I have to pull battery, go into TWRP and wipe cache and dalvik. Then reboot again. Boots up fine after that.

What screen does it freeze on, the bootanimation?

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Building Slim 5.8 now and should be done by tomorrow.