• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][4.3.1] Magic Beanz v1.0.1

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
cover.png

Introduction:
This is pure android AOSP 4.3.1 for all variants of Kindle HDX 3rd generation devices. There is a new branch of the kernel on my github if you're interested. Please read through carefully as things have changed for the installation.

Todo / Issues worth noting:
- For Apollo, although screen rotation ultimately works, there is a glitch in the animation. This is because the apollo device's screen is rotated 90 degrees for which I have made a patch to surfaceflinger. I plan to fix this by doing the necessary pre-rotation in the hwcomposer.
- For Apollo, the smoothness graphically is not quite on par with Thor. Although games and video seem ok.
- Boot animation needs updating.
- Aroma Installer
- Integrate Root
- Battery / Power Management needs a full investigation - from the kernel to the HAL.
- Miracast
- Headphones are not working

Bug Reports:
- Please report bugs -here-

Fresh Installation:
- Download the magic-beanz-rom-v1.0.1.zip - this file is for Apollo and Thor.
- If coming from any other ROM including HDX Nexus then I would recommend doing a factory reset.
- Be sure to backup your old ROM in case you want to revert back.
- Flash the file, it will flash the ROM and a Lean version of Gapps.
- If you want root then also flash the latest SuperSu package from -here-

Downloads:

Finally:
- Big shout out to you all for your support, and thank you for the donations I have received.

XDA:DevDB Information
Magic Beanz, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
ggow
Source Code: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_hdx_nexus/tree/android_4.3.1

ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Using Exploit
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0.1
Stable Release Date: 2015-02-20

Created 2015-02-20
Last Updated 2015-07-21

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-28-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-28-16.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,345
  • Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-19-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-19-21.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 3,289
  • Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-10-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-10-50.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 3,227
  • Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-14-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-14-53.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 3,045
Last edited:

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
cover.png

Introduction:

Bug Reports:

Fresh Installation:

Downloads:

Finally:

Contributors
ggow

Version Information

Created 2015-02-20
Last Updated 2015-02-20

Couple of questions I had

1) does it matter what gapps are used as long as it supports 4.3.x?

2) how is battery?

Thanks for your continued dev effort.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

mxzwhx

May 19, 2011
thank you @ggow,does the unlocked bootloader will do any good to this new rom?If not,what is good to unlock the bootloader?

Sent from my MI 2SC using XDA Free mobile app

Reckerr

Feb 26, 2012
Great to see another ROM. Can anyone let me know if screen share/wireless display works?
It doesn't on either of my two TV's in the Nexus ROM and no
audio in cm11 ROM.

Well it doesnt work.. I have no idea how to go to stock, yet stay on specific 13.3.2.3 which is best....

Are there flash able stock ROMs to go back to fire os via twrp?
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

NeverSmile

Mar 15, 2011
for thor 7" just flash Magic Beanz Installer via TRWP right? Because i read in link download write magic-beanz-rom-v1.0.1.zip for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, by ggow

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Realme GT
for thor 7" just flash Magic Beanz Installer via TRWP right? Because i read in link download write magic-beanz-rom-v1.0.1.zip for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, by ggow

Well, read again, please: :)

Contributors
ggow

Edit: hm... you mean download file description? Well I hope its not only for apollo, better wait until ggow confirm its for thor too

Last edited:

XxD34THxX

Nov 3, 2014
Oh hell yes, finally.

So, this uses TWRP if I read this correctly(I am doing some AP work so it's either TWRP or something else). Basically, one needs to go back to 14.3.1.0, unlock bootloader, install TWRP, and flash this ROM? I'm gonna flash back to 14.3.1.0(I am on .3.2.6 so thankfully I can go back) tomorrow and get this done. Thank you Ggow and other devs who have worked to make this happen. I also assume that you use ROM slot 1 and not the stock slot.

OH, and in the OP, the picture will not show up. I am going to try in firefox and the horrible Internet Explorer and see if it works. Does Ggow or someone else have screenshots of said ROM?

Some Clarification please:
1)I can install TWRP with ROM manager correct? Not sure how things will work for the HDX as real development just started(meaning unlocked BL).
2)IN TWRP, is a Factory Reset needed or a Format data or advance wipe. If possible, can one keep data such as documents and photos and erase everything else? Or do you have to factory reset in FireOS first...
3)Will any backup made first be saved when installing your ROM?

EDIT: No Pictures on any browser

Last edited:

kudoz83

Dec 7, 2010
Enjoying it so far @ggow! Couple of clarifications perhaps? For Apollo;

1) LTE / 4G appears enabled on this (and oddly enough appears to be all bands and channels), however I tried two different sims and neither detected any network (tried a few different bands etc). System settings indicate that the tablet is missing a baseband and can't read any IMEI off any sim either.

2) When you say "TWRP using exploit" - do you simply mean TWRP? People can't have installed TWRP without having used one of the previous exploits to do so... or is there something I'm missing?

Will raise the first one in the bug tracking.

Scott

Mr.Nik

Mar 10, 2007
Novosibirsk
If you select the language of Russian, at the entrance to the settings lte get this:
attachment.php

Does not save the APN settings
attachment.php

It is not possible to select the operator.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-30-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-30-05.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-28-57.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-28-57.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,981
  • Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-28-49.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-21-11-28-49.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,984

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
- Integrate Root

How to enable Root access???

Flash SuperSU zip from twrp

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

If you select the language of Russian, at the entrance to the settings lte get this:
attachment.php

Does not save the APN settings
attachment.php

It is not possible to select the operator.
attachment.php

Did you try to enter an APN? You should be able to add your own APN.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh hell yes, finally.

So, this uses TWRP if I read this correctly(I am doing some AP work so it's either TWRP or something else). Basically, one needs to go back to 14.3.1.0, unlock bootloader, install TWRP, and flash this ROM? I'm gonna flash back to 14.3.1.0(I am on .3.2.6 so thankfully I can go back) tomorrow and get this done. Thank you Ggow and other devs who have worked to make this happen. I also assume that you use ROM slot 1 and not the stock slot.

OH, and in the OP, the picture will not show up. I am going to try in firefox and the horrible Internet Explorer and see if it works. Does Ggow or someone else have screenshots of said ROM?

Some Clarification please:
1)I can install TWRP with ROM manager correct? Not sure how things will work for the HDX as real development just started(meaning unlocked BL).
2)IN TWRP, is a Factory Reset needed or a Format data or advance wipe. If possible, can one keep data such as documents and photos and erase everything else? Or do you have to factory reset in FireOS first...
3)Will any backup made first be saved when installing your ROM?

EDIT: No Pictures on any browser

This is NOT for safe strap. Its for users that flashed full on twrp recovery. Don't go bricking your kindle.

kudoz83

Dec 7, 2010
In my experience APN settings won't save unless you have an active sim and baseband on a device... and as I mentioned before, there's currently no baseband on the devices after flashing to Magic Beanz

andPS2

Jan 15, 2011
good to to see a new rom out (i was hoping for an 4.4 since i am on thor but @ggow said that might happen
in the future)
installed fine with full wipe
one thing i noticed is invalid sim card on lockscreen on my thor with no lte
gonna have to long time test it...
thanks @ggow for your continous fine work!
P.S. one more thing IT'S CHARGING FASTER!! (at least for me)

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
General Notes / Comments / Questions

- I am not sure if LTE is will work or not. I took a shot in the dark and gave it go.
- Would be interested in getting feedback on Battery life. In the Wifi advanced settings had the tablet set to turn off Wifi whilst asleep
- I checked with wakelock detector that the tablet was in fact entering deep sleep mode, all seemed good.
- Can someone please report back whether they can pair a PS3 controller with the new bluetooth stack.
- Installing Xposed with gravitybox adds some very nice functionality like the advanced reboot menu, expanded desktop. Lollipop status bar icons etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cover.png

Introduction:
    This is pure android AOSP 4.3.1 for all variants of Kindle HDX 3rd generation devices. There is a new branch of the kernel on my github if you're interested. Please read through carefully as things have changed for the installation.

- For Apollo, although screen rotation ultimately works, there is a glitch in the animation. This is because the apollo device's screen is rotated 90 degrees for which I have made a patch to surfaceflinger. I plan to fix this by doing the necessary pre-rotation in the hwcomposer.
    - For Apollo, the smoothness graphically is not quite on par with Thor. Although games and video seem ok.
    - Boot animation needs updating.
    - Aroma Installer
    - Integrate Root
    - Battery / Power Management needs a full investigation - from the kernel to the HAL.
    - Miracast
    - Headphones are not working

Bug Reports:
    - Please report bugs -here-

Fresh Installation:
    - Download the magic-beanz-rom-v1.0.1.zip - this file is for Apollo and Thor.
    - If coming from any other ROM including HDX Nexus then I would recommend doing a factory reset.
    - Be sure to backup your old ROM in case you want to revert back.
    - Flash the file, it will flash the ROM and a Lean version of Gapps.
    - If you want root then also flash the latest SuperSu package from -here-

Downloads:

Finally:
    - Big shout out to you all for your support, and thank you for the donations I have received.

Contributors
    ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_hdx_nexus/tree/android_4.3.1

Version Information

Created 2015-02-20
    Last Updated 2015-07-21
    please make headphones work , it very important

Posts like this annoy me. ggow and other devs devote countless hours investigating and delivering new capability including the wonderful Magic Beanz ROM that you opted to flash. Keep in mind v1.0.1 is the initial release. It is fine to ask a question or point out something that is not working. This sounds more like a demand - as if you purchased the product.

If headphones (and other audio features) aren't working for you flash something else or roll back to stock.
    Posts like this annoy me. ggow and other devs devote countless hours investigating and delivering new capability including the wonderful Magic Beanz ROM that you opted to flash. Keep in mind v1.0.1 is the initial release. It is fine to ask a question or point out something that is not working. This sounds more like a demand - as if you purchased the product.

If headphones (and other audio features) aren't working for you flash something else or roll back to stock.

Definitely agreed in principle, though I think their may be a language barrier involved with that post, probably didn't mean to come across as entitled as they did. But as a rule, agreed, ggow owes us nothing lol.
    Headphones do not work

Correct, noted in the OP. Having replaced the entire audio stack, it's the last piece of the audio puzzle.
    Use the version you quoted above for apollo. I will update the apollo to 2.8.5.0 soon.

Alright:

For Future reference if anyone else is scared of this(new device, this is the first ROM with a custom BL and Kernal):
    1)Down Grade
    2)Unlock Boot Loader
    3)Use flashify to flash TWRP modded by @ggow
    4)Install this ROM using TWRP
    5)Enjoy