• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][4.3.1] Magic Beanz v1.0.1

Search This thread

Mr.Nik

Mar 10, 2007
Novosibirsk
At the top of the status bar appear red pix.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Apparently when connecting charging

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Out of curiosity, do you know if the magnets activated by the kindle smartcase (the ones for closing and the ones for activating the camera when you push up) have any API hooks or a way to link them to launch an app/s? At the moment opening the smart case wakes the device (of course), but pushing it up just tries to wake it as well... would be quite cool to enable additional functions based on the magnets!

I'll take a look into it.

ka_putt

Dec 31, 2010
alright, well "LTE" is working (although I'm only getting 3G... but that might be to do with the LTE channel being unsupported - have to look into this for Telstra http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies)

Lovely work ggow - do you want a logcat if it's working?

You lucky one...also I get network connection but no internet connection, and I getting an error if I try to change APN settings (mobile settings), always get google.phone.com not responding and after few seconds I must take my pin..
Sadly I had not enough time to play with it, I restored my fireOS because I need internet on the way...^^
Ps...sorry for my bad English...

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
alright, well "LTE" is working (although I'm only getting 3G... but that might be to do with the LTE channel being unsupported - have to look into this for Telstra http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies)

Lovely work ggow - do you want a logcat if it's working?

Good to hear it's working for you too. That would be great if you could provide logcat.

I have also made progress in making the ROM more battery efficient. Will take me little while to gather data but it's looking good after few hours testing.

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Realme GT
more testing done

So, I must review my previous post ...
Most problems I have encountered were caused by restoring DATA part of nexus 2.0.5 part over m.beanz, so in general I do not recommend it.
@holeshot77 I tested restoring my nexus 2.0.5 apps with Titanium Backup 7.0.0.3 and I did it two times two differnet ways (successfuly) in fresh installation of m.beanz rom:
1. Restoring my apps directly from TWRP nandroid backup - no problems at all
2. Restoring my apps one by one from Titanium backup storage - again no problems at all
@ggow You can ignore bug report regarding copy paste app crash - problem is gone, also youtube app seems rock stable now :)

kudoz83

Dec 7, 2010
Good to hear it's working for you too. That would be great if you could provide logcat.

I have also made progress in making the ROM more battery efficient. Will take me little while to gather data but it's looking good after few hours testing.

3 logcats attached;

1) Booting with bluetooth enabled seemed to prevent 3G/LTE from engaging (and even APNs were blank)
2) Booted after disabling bluetooth, still no 3G/LTE, manually created one APN, connects to 3G
3) Booted again (without BT), starts 3G and shows all APNs (even those not showing before)

Odd behaviour, lol...

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

• logcats.zip
    178.4 KB · Views: 7

ka_putt

Dec 31, 2010
@kudoz83
@Mr.Nik
@ka_putt
Which devices are you using, thor or apollo?

ka_putt, could you try doing a factory reset from TWRP and reboot.
I'm using Apollo and I forgot to write I'm using 3.1.0 bootloader(at moment I don't like to swich to newer one, because I just want to be on the safe side, if the date connection still don't works)

jep.. I can do this... it takes few minutes...^^

edit:still the same...I get error if I tap on mobile settings

Attachments

• lte_test0.2.txt.7z
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

kudoz83

Dec 7, 2010
I'm using Apollo and I forgot to write I'm using 3.1.0 bootloader(at moment I don't like to swich to newer one, because I just want to be on the safe side, if the date connection still don't works)

You'll need to be on the 3.2.3 bootloader mate - at least from what I've tried / seen so far. Don't worry it's easy it pretty damn safe as per @ggow's work here http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...p-flashable-3-2-3-bootloader-upgrade-t3025504

good luck. Will flash the second test tonight :p

Reactions: ggow

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact

If you haven't unlocked your bootloader, do so first if you can before upgrading your bootloader.
This will make the update much safer.

You can then flash the bootloader upgrade zip file here via TWRP.

kudoz83 got there before me :)

ka_putt

Dec 31, 2010
You'll need to be on the 3.2.3 bootloader mate - at least from what I've tried / seen so far. Don't worry it's easy it pretty damn safe as per @ggow's work here http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...p-flashable-3-2-3-bootloader-upgrade-t3025504

good luck. Will flash the second test tonight :p

I think so too:p...but if I want to swich back to my old awfull FireOS(back up of them), in the case if still nothing works...;)

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

If you haven't unlocked your bootloader, do so first if you can before upgrading your bootloader.
This will make the update much safer.

You can then flash the bootloader upgrade zip file here via TWRP.

kudoz83 got there before me :)
my bootloader is unlocked also no probs
But like I mention, if I switch back to my old ROM(FireOS), gonna work this(my back up)

kudoz83

Dec 7, 2010
ahh, I still haven't unlocked my bootloader actually... from what I've read it doesn't matter whether you're running FireOS or ROM as long as the bootloader is 3.2.4 or below (Apollo) yeah? So as I'm on 3.2.3 I should just be able to follow the procedure from within Magic Beanz...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cover.png

Introduction:
    This is pure android AOSP 4.3.1 for all variants of Kindle HDX 3rd generation devices. There is a new branch of the kernel on my github if you're interested. Please read through carefully as things have changed for the installation.

Todo / Issues worth noting:
    - For Apollo, although screen rotation ultimately works, there is a glitch in the animation. This is because the apollo device's screen is rotated 90 degrees for which I have made a patch to surfaceflinger. I plan to fix this by doing the necessary pre-rotation in the hwcomposer.
    - For Apollo, the smoothness graphically is not quite on par with Thor. Although games and video seem ok.
    - Boot animation needs updating.
    - Aroma Installer
    - Integrate Root
    - Battery / Power Management needs a full investigation - from the kernel to the HAL.
    - Miracast
    - Headphones are not working

Bug Reports:
    - Please report bugs -here-

Fresh Installation:
    - Download the magic-beanz-rom-v1.0.1.zip - this file is for Apollo and Thor.
    - If coming from any other ROM including HDX Nexus then I would recommend doing a factory reset.
    - Be sure to backup your old ROM in case you want to revert back.
    - Flash the file, it will flash the ROM and a Lean version of Gapps.
    - If you want root then also flash the latest SuperSu package from -here-

Downloads:

Finally:
    - Big shout out to you all for your support, and thank you for the donations I have received.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Magic Beanz, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_hdx_nexus/tree/android_4.3.1

ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Using Exploit
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0.1
    Stable Release Date: 2015-02-20

Created 2015-02-20
    Last Updated 2015-07-21
    please make headphones work , it very important

Posts like this annoy me. ggow and other devs devote countless hours investigating and delivering new capability including the wonderful Magic Beanz ROM that you opted to flash. Keep in mind v1.0.1 is the initial release. It is fine to ask a question or point out something that is not working. This sounds more like a demand - as if you purchased the product.

If headphones (and other audio features) aren't working for you flash something else or roll back to stock.
    Posts like this annoy me. ggow and other devs devote countless hours investigating and delivering new capability including the wonderful Magic Beanz ROM that you opted to flash. Keep in mind v1.0.1 is the initial release. It is fine to ask a question or point out something that is not working. This sounds more like a demand - as if you purchased the product.

If headphones (and other audio features) aren't working for you flash something else or roll back to stock.

Definitely agreed in principle, though I think their may be a language barrier involved with that post, probably didn't mean to come across as entitled as they did. But as a rule, agreed, ggow owes us nothing lol.
    Headphones do not work

Correct, noted in the OP. Having replaced the entire audio stack, it's the last piece of the audio puzzle.
    Use the version you quoted above for apollo. I will update the apollo to 2.8.5.0 soon.

Alright:

For Future reference if anyone else is scared of this(new device, this is the first ROM with a custom BL and Kernal):
    1)Down Grade
    2)Unlock Boot Loader
    3)Use flashify to flash TWRP modded by @ggow
    4)Install this ROM using TWRP
    5)Enjoy