[ROM] [4.4.2] AOKP :: kitkat :: hammerhead

Search This thread
Is AOKP dead? Any plans to move into Lollipop land?

I've been a long time fan of AOKP but since I've had my Nexus 5 and especially now with Lollipop, I don't see much of a reason to move from stock. Google integrated a lot of what the community came up with and Stock is actually pretty damn good, stable, smooth.

At the same time, I would love to see AOKP innovation and next level enhancements, along with the level of customization and control the AOKP has always offered.

The reason I ask is it dead is because there have been no new updates on the AOKP site, this thread, or anywhere, really. And certainly no mention of 5.0. At this point, there's no valid reason to stay on KitKat.

So what's the status?

Last edited:

daihard

Apr 3, 2012
Seattle
about.me
Is AOKP dead? Any plans to move into Lollipop land?

I've been a long time fan of AOKP but since I've had my Nexus 5 and especially now with Lollipop, I don't see much of a reason. Google integrated a lot of what the community came up with and Stock is actually pretty damn good, stable, smooth.

At the same time, I would love to see AOKP innovation and next level enhancements, along with the level of customization and control the AOKP has always offered.

I'm curious, too.

I agree that the stock Pollipop has some of the features that were only available to custom ROMs before, and that it is pretty fast and smooth. That said, it is still missing what I consider key features, such as customizable navbar, face-down alarm snooze and volume rocker wake. Those are the little things that together make Android much easier to use, IMO.

I hope to be able to run a Lollipop-based AOKP rather soon. Your work is always greatly appreciated. :)

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
Maybe the devs are working hard merging the AOSP codes with AOKP fearures on a private git repo, it's classified :) In the past, AOKP released quickly on a new major Android version lacking many feaures. The devs may take a different approach with Lollipop and release a feature-rich Lollipop AOKP. Just my guess. I'm perfectly happy with the latest nightly now, it is rock solid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

daihard

Apr 3, 2012
Seattle
about.me
Maybe the devs are working hard merging the AOSP codes with AOKP fearures on a private git repo, it's classified :) In the past, AOKP released quickly on a new major Android version lacking many feaures. The devs may take a different approach with Lollipop and release a feature-rich Lollipop AOKP. Just my guess. I'm perfectly happy with the latest nightly now, it is rock solid.

I would be more than happy to wait, too, if the dev are in fact working hard to get their Lollipop-based AOKP build going. The thing is, we don't know for sure because nobody tells us. I would feel much better if they would just write a short blog to give us a quick update on the progress. I personally don't think this is asking too much.

-----

nycwtod

Oct 17, 2010
I would be more than happy to wait, too, if the dev are in fact working hard to get their Lollipop-based AOKP build going. The thing is, we don't know for sure because nobody tells us. I would feel much better if they would just write a short blog to give us a quick update on the progress. I personally don't think this is asking too much.

-----

Based on their Gerrit, there's at least a Lollipop branch, so it looks like they're working on it but a post would be nice.

Reactions: c0oL and daihard

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
Lots of merges past few days. Someone even posted a screenshot of mako running AOKP Lollipop. Can't wait... In the mean time, it is holiday season. Happy holidays everyone, especially AOKP dev team. Hope you all have an awesome new year ahead.

Trel

Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone else have a problem (with all AOKP (not sure about stock)), that the flash gets stuck on when using flashlight apps, including the built in one and requires a reboot to turn off?

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
Does anyone else have a problem (with all AOKP (not sure about stock)), that the flash gets stuck on when using flashlight apps, including the built in one and requires a reboot to turn off?

I ran into this issue from time to time on my phone as well. Though I don't use it often. I toggle to turn it off, toggle indicates it's off but flash is still on. I pull down the notification and pull it up several times, then the flash turns off. Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
CM 12 nightly is cooking. Looking forward to AOKP/CM Lolla goodness.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Migamix

so they are going to continue with CM again? most unstable platform in the past year on every nexus device I own IMO. could be why I flash AOKP or CM on a device, and I'm pulling up a AOSP based nandroid in less than 24 hours.. its sad to hear they will remain with CM. I miss the old AOKP of several years ago
not a slam of efforts, just my input on how bad the CM company has run their version of android, and my wishes of being able to use AOKP again with assurance of no cold reboots into bootloops. (on at least 4 different devices with next to no problematic software installed) ?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Circaflex

Dec 12, 2008
Tustin
so they are going to continue with CM again? most unstable platform in the past year on every nexus device I own IMO. could be why I flash AOKP or CM on a device, and I'm pulling up a AOSP based nandroid in less than 24 hours.. its sad to hear they will remain with CM. I miss the old AOKP of several years ago
not a slam of efforts, just my input on how bad the CM company has run their version of android, and my wishes of being able to use AOKP again with assurance of no cold reboots into bootloops. (on at least 4 different devices with next to no problematic software installed)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

it shouldn't be the mess that CM was on Kit Kat. From what I have been told CM plans to stick closer to stock AOSP rather than the CAF project, which is where 99% of the issues on hammerhead came about. We can all hopefully jump off the CM bash train, I know I have.

I doubt you'll ever see the "old" aokp either, when Roman left to CM is when AOKP obviously started to change.

Migamix

it shouldn't be the mess that CM was on Kit Kat. From what I have been told CM plans to stick closer to stock AOSP rather than the CAF project, which is where 99% of the issues on hammerhead came about. We can all hopefully jump off the CM bash train, I know I have.

I doubt you'll ever see the "old" aokp either, when Roman left to CM is when AOKP obviously started to change.

sorry, you seem to mistake my frank opinion of CM, and AOKPs choice to use them as base as bashing. I stated that CM is utter crap on all 5 of my nexus devices.
bashing is when I state that a group of arrogant devs think they are mature enough to form a company without a proper PR rep at the helm, not thinking about stable business points and pissing off hardware manufacturers with "accidental" exclusivity deals. there is a difference of developing as passion, developing for rent money, or developing for the latest Gulfstream jet. CM was good back in the days. like MTV, its nothing like it used to be. if CM were the only android choice, I'd be on a BlackBerry as my curve only crashed three times in my 2 year contract.
so as I stated. in a prev post, when I install a milestone or something being passed off as stable. I don't expect to have repetitive kernel panics, SODs, and a general bad time making me very happy I make a nandroid before every CM attempt. and really, pulling the old theme engine back in?. step back and so much more room for errors. its no wonder others created a new way of doing the UI changes with 1/10th the code.

of course I'm going to give CM that chance.. its like an abusive relationship.. I'll go back to AOSP base once I've had enough of the problems.
CAF, great in theory, crap in practice.

hope that clears it up and why I'm sad that I just can't use AOKP like I used to, they made me a crack flasher. but I'm in recovery. (pulling a nandroid most likely)

Circaflex

Dec 12, 2008
Tustin
sorry, you seem to mistake my frank opinion of CM, and AOKPs choice to use them as base as bashing. I stated that CM is utter crap on all 5 of my nexus devices.
bashing is when I state that a group of arrogant devs think they are mature enough to form a company without a proper PR rep at the helm, not thinking about stable business points and pissing off hardware manufacturers with "accidental" exclusivity deals. there is a difference of developing as passion, developing for rent money, or developing for the latest Gulfstream jet. CM was good back in the days. like MTV, its nothing like it used to be. if CM were the only android choice, I'd be on a BlackBerry as my curve only crashed three times in my 2 year contract.
so as I stated. in a prev post, when I install a milestone or something being passed off as stable. I don't expect to have repetitive kernel panics, SODs, and a general bad time making me very happy I make a nandroid before every CM attempt. and really, pulling the old theme engine back in?. step back and so much more room for errors. its no wonder others created a new way of doing the UI changes with 1/10th the code.

of course I'm going to give CM that chance.. its like an abusive relationship.. I'll go back to AOSP base once I've had enough of the problems.
CAF, great in theory, crap in practice.

hope that clears it up and why I'm sad that I just can't use AOKP like I used to, they made me a crack flasher. but I'm in recovery. (pulling a nandroid most likely)

Im not sure why you went on your little rant, but if you would've read what I wrote CM plans to stick closer to AOSP base and not integrate CAF for the nexus line, so it will be an AOSP base not a CAF hybrid base (which is where the issues came from)

Trel

Apr 20, 2010
What worries me though it that even though there's been activity in gerrit, there hasn't been a nightly or even a blog post since October.
I like sticking with the same ROM, but unless there's something soon, I don't know how long I want to sit on a nightly that's months old as my primary phone OS.

Reactions: Migamix

jwaggz82

Jul 28, 2010
I think the AOKP guys did an awesome job, for a really long time. The amount of time they spent was just great. Now that they lost one of their key developers, it was time that I moved away from them. As phones change and people them self evolve, it is what it is. I moved over to blisspop (which they develop off a basline of CM12, droid os v5.02) and they are actively giving out nightly updates (at least a few a week, if not nightly). For what its worth, I really don't know how the initial AOKP team (for a few years) put in as much time as they did. To code that much, for the love of the product, that surely deserves a big thumbs up. With that said, it was time for me to move on, as the nexus 5 is surely not a dead product and I see it going strong for at least another year.

Reactions: Migamix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    83.png

Device: hammerhead (Nexus 5)

81.png

» Installation is simple:
    • If coming from another ROM or another major AOKP version, wipe data in recovery
    • Make sure you're using the latest CWM or TWRP
    • Flash ROM
    • Flash Google Apps (GAPPS)
    • Reboot
    78.png

» Check merged commits on AOKP's Gerrit

80.png

» Official downloads, mirrors, MD5s are found at AOKP.co

82.png

» AOKP Gerrit
    » AOKP on Github
    » SOURCE on AOKP.co

79.png

We greatly appreciate your contribution in the form of code, or PayPal donations.
    » Donation options on AOKP.co

Enjoy!
    Why? This was a bad boys rom... Full of features and outside of the "law".... I flash it cause I though until now all aokp features will be in... And find out what that it's caf just like Corp CM... And features?? Stock has more.... Thats bad.... :(

Σεντ φρομ μυ Νεχυς 5

Didn't Roman go to cm? Coincidence? I think not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I don't think aokp is one person only... Any way... I can't stand to see aokp like this... I didn't finish restoring my apps and im flashing another rom...

Σεντ φρομ μυ Νεχυς 5

Roman moving on to CM has nothing to do with anything AOKP related.
    He is still allowed to work on AOKP...and still does.
    In fact...here is everything he committed for JellyBean MR2...
    http://gerrit.aokp.co/#/q/status:merged+branch:jb-mr2+owner:"Roman+Birg",n,z

And here's everything he's committed for KitKat so far...
    http://gerrit.aokp.co/#/q/status:merged+branch:kitkat+owner:"Roman+Birg",n,z

Three times as much in much LESS time.

Roman started AOKP...
    And he is a big part of the decision process.
    But he isn't the only developer working on AOKP...
    Nor has he been even close to the most active one since it literally first began.
    (Not a bash on Roman, we all have other isht to do and personally I love the guy =P)

And AOKP was never a "bad-boys'" rom. AOKP was original code...with original features...
    Imagined and written by AOKP contributors and team members.

AOKP started a revolution in ROMs, really.
    Before AOKP it was CM. And CM-based roms.
    AOKP came along...and everyone (developers and users alike) realized...hey...people like features...
    And 10,000 AOKP-based roms were born. Copy-paste roms based on AOKP primarily...
    Then a few other original roms popped up with their own take on what "original" features, code, methods, etc.
    Then other roms popped up that merged the main roms into one.
    And the users never know where anything is coming from...or what's going on internally for ANY team or "team."

ROMControl, for example, used to be...mostly...a Settings.apk based app.
    Initiating a preference was done in the same way as it is in Settings.apk...
    The vast majority of the code style...all the same.

Now...with KitKat...RomControl in itself must have been a huge undertaking. They had to literally rewrite checkbox, list-preference, color-preferences, etc...from scratch...to make the new UI work.

In framework (the part that makes the features work)...
    Steve re-wrote ribbons from scratch...
    The navbar customization was rewritten mostly from scratch...
    There's a Settings.AOKP. table where all features reside...rather than using the google-written Settings.System or Settings.Secure tables...
    Which I have ideas for their reasoning but I'll let them release that info whenever something comes of it.

TLDR;
    If you're not a developer...or at the least know how to read how many commits are being pushed through...
    Don't bother speculating. 10,000 copy/paste roms later...AOKP is still running strong. That alone is impressive.
    The bug in the last nightly has been fixed and a new build will rollout soon. 
    Haz Pie???

No, but spelling correction. :)
    Please stop it now. I was making a joke, because if you look again it is a valid answer to the question.

I don't know about other working kernels, but searching and trying should be the minimum someone does.