[ROM]【4.4.4】Google Play Edition【JFLTE-GPE】 - Oct 5th, 2018

Search This thread

Firefly__

Jan 24, 2016
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but does this work on sgh-i337m and is this like stock android like on the nexus series? Thanks.

duendemago

Jul 31, 2013
Mexico City
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but does this work on sgh-i337m and is this like stock android like on the nexus series? Thanks.

Works like a charm with that model (known as Canadian model) and this is a Google Play Edition ROM, like the one which Gs4 got originally. It has some tweaks and mostly looks like a pure vanilla android experience, so if you like a smooth ROM, this is the one.

duendemago

Jul 31, 2013
Mexico City
Hi. My wife received an almost new GS4-GTi9500. I rooted it and installed TWRP recovery with no problem. But when trying to install the ROM from the recovery menu, it gives following errors:
-Checking for md5 FILE...no MD5 file Found.
-E: Error executing updater binary in ZIP ' /external_sd/JFLTE-GPE-20151021.zip' Error flashing ZIP
What am I doing wrong? I have insalled this on a SGH-I337M with no problems....what could it be?

Thanks for your help

BullzzEye

Dec 22, 2017
Hi I was wondering if you could load another OTA update zip file.

JFLTE-GPE 5.1
20izx95.png

Features

Stock kernel
Rooted
Busybox
External SD permissions for app's added
Worldwide APNs
Long press recents
Lockscreen carrier label alignment fixed
USB debugging notification disabled
Tethering unlocked for most carriers
Nexus UI sounds
SuperSU integrated into Settings

Installation instructions

Make sure you are using the latest modem and recovery for your variant, TWRP preferred
1) Full wipe
2) Flash ROM
3) Reboot

Important Warning
Xposed is not supported by the developers. Please uninstall it FULLY before making any bug reports. Any logcat that includes an xposed module will be ignored. Please do not make support posts regarding any module in this thread. The correct place to do that is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/help

Download

Android Lollipop 5.1

Download the build here
md5: 8f73515199f06f86915bfe53c72b4c25

Android Kitkat 4.4.4

INTL I9505 DEVICES SHOULD USE A CUSTOM GE KERNEL TO PREVENT RANDOM REBOOTS
Googy kernel (closer to stock can be found here)
Ktoonsez kernel (tons of original development) can be downloaded here

Download the Customized Edition here
md5:9823c523ac7b6e13a3ad6a31ec0f4b41

Download Pure Nexus Edition here
md5:9a0e0d273f48b67a77b8858963007d5c

Optional Downloads (4.4.4 only)
Stock themed MMS with quick reply

Stock 4.4 email from source (no theme)

DarkUI - This will turn the settings black/gray gradient solid black and any app that calls for this background from the framework-res

Battery % enabled - Enabled the stock icon, I've made it easy to read

Screenshot

59stg3.jpg

GravityBox Settings shortcut (Interface) - This will create a sharp looking Interface option that will embed GravityBox right into Settings for quicker access (Xposed + Gravitybox must be installed and activated)

Screenshot

210ak4y.png

Dialers

Stock Inverted
Carbon
Carbon Holo (Ships with ROM)
Holo Blue
Stock

Screenshots
Stock Inverted
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_29_56.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_30_00.png

Carbon
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_29_06.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_29_16.png

Holo Blue
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_28_23.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_06_28_29.png

Contacts

Holo Blue
Carbon
Carbon Holo (Ships with ROM)
Stock

Screenshots
Holo Blue
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_14_50.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_14_56.png

Carbon
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_15_32.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_15_38.png

Carbon Holo
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_15_57.png
Screenshot_2014_06_07_18_16_02.png

Changelog

10/21/2015
-Rebased on LMY470 5.1
-Huge Updater-script and Update-binary changes
-Nexus UI sounds
-Long press home for recents to fix home button lag
-Complete debloat of the optional apps in system including Camera and MMS
-Updated system apps
-SELinux permissive
-CDMA phones no longer supported, Other developers with these devices can feel free to port my ROM in another thread

There are changes in this ROM to SystemUI especially, I expect this to be a little more than just a "Stagefright" OTA, either way I cleaned things up alot and hope you enjoy, full wipe is recommended

Developers: Do not use this ROM or it's files without asking us first please

XDA:DevDB Information
【5.0】Google Play Edition, ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
Danvdh
ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: Google Edition

Version Information

Created 2013-11-22
Last Updated 2015-10-21

Hi I was wondering if you could upload a flashable zip file for update. For example this one: https://mega.nz/#!nxhm3CRb!ilbijVOf-...T2nuHV9sZTkMKY. It is .151101 update from 151001. It can't flash. I removed xposed but it still won't flash even with stock recovery. Status 7, signature failed, or unable to find. Thanks.

Danvdh

Sep 5, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Update in the OP

01/13/2018
-Started with clean build of the official 4.4.4 GPE factory image
-Implemented many fixes including ext storage permissions, world wide APNs, etc.
-Added native advanced reboot menu
-Enabled app ops
-Updated all Google Apps to 2018 versions
-OTA updates from Google are disabled for good

I have come back to this phone after many years and determined that the 5.x versions of GPE are a mess, they arent optimized and are just rushed crap from Samsung. I have redone a clean 4.4.4 build using all my knowledge gained over the years and would like to push this because my phone is absolutely flying on this build. I have also disabled OTA notifications out of the box.

Root is optional aswell, flash SuperSU after flashing the ROM if you would like root ( I didnt include it so this rom would pass safetynet out of the box)

Enjoy

Reactions: BullzzEye

renz427

Oct 5, 2014
can't even install twrp on my i337 NJ4 what do i need to to make GPE 4.4.4 rom work? it's my 1st time attempting to flash a custom rom on my s4, because the stock rom drains fast and lags on different games. thanks!

jagster936

Apr 2, 2018
I have a question. I'm super new to all this. Can this be used on a Verizon S4? I read "touchwiz based kernel" can be used. I'm not on the infamous MDK bootloader, so not sure what all is possible. I have OF1 and updating to the newest as I saw it was rootable. I'd like to have 4.4.4 ideally on the phone, not Lolipop. Is this possible? I read some places you can downgrade and some places you cannot.

Thx!

Danvdh

Sep 5, 2012
Toronto, Canada
yearly update, I still use this phone for spotify and discord so why not? :D

10/05/2018
-Updated Google Play Services
-Updated all Play Store apps

As many of you know modern versions of Google keyboard (gboard) doesn't perform very well out of the box on this phones hardware.... however if you goto the google keyboard settings in language and input and enter the "text correction" menu, uncheck both personalized suggestions and suggest contacts and the keyboard will become snappy again just like the good old days

This fix works on any ROM

Also im at 200 downloads across both International and North American releases, and all my threads are quiet so im guessing everyone is just enjoying the ROM with no issues I know I am!

it's been a total joy bringing Android 4.4.4 back to your phones with all modern and updated Google services. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    JFLTE-GPE 4.4.4

3g9XUOu.jpg

Q: What is Google Play Edition?

A: GPE is stock Android compiled by Samsung, it offers the stability of touchwiz with the aesthetics of pure stock AOSP. All drivers for Camera (Including HDR), Bluetooth, GPS, are official proprietary so there will be no issues.

Q: Why 4.4.4 kitkat?
    A: This basically sums it up, 4.4.4 is regarded as one of the best releases ever, meanwhile 5.x is regarded as the worst.

Features

Stock kernel
    OTA updates from Google disabled
    External SD permissions for app's added
    Worldwide APNs
    Nova launcher
    Long press recents
    USB debugging notification disabled
    Nexus UI sounds
    Advanced reboot menu
    App ops
    Updated Google Apps

Installation instructions

Make sure you are using the latest modem and recovery for your variant, TWRP preferred
    1) Full wipe
    2) Flash ROM
    3) Flash SuperSU (Optional)
    4) Reboot

Download

10/05/2018 build - Download here
    md5: a801013bc5c8b22153934bf6edc24ea2

Code:
    Changelog

[B]10/05/2018[/B]
    -Updated all Play Store apps

[B]01/28/2018[/B]
    -Fixed all camera related issues (Panorama mode etc)
    -Updated Google Play Store
    -Removed Google Search from /system/priv-app

[B]01/17/2018[/B]
    -Updated Google dialer

[B]01/16/2018[/B]
    -Added tethering line to build.prop

[B]01/13/2018[/B]
    -Started with clean build of the official 4.4.4 GPE factory image
    -Implemented many fixes including ext storage permissions, world wide APNs, etc.
    -Added native advanced reboot menu
    -Enabled app ops
    -Updated all Google Apps to 2018 versions
    -OTA updates from Google are disabled for good
    Credits

amarullz - AROMA installer
    JustArchi - Kitchen for System.img dump
    dvtonder - cLock
    CyanogenMod - Opensource cherry picks
    googy_anas - Kernel
    XDA moderators
    MJHawaii - Always providing solid i9505-g odins
    Jimbju - Menu/back wake annoyance fix on 4.4.4
    Romhut - Providing excellent hosting
    Github
    @ everyone

As many of you know Android 4.4.3 is just around the corner, test builds have been spotted on just about every device and many sources
    say this month will be the release, I just wanted to give my userbase the piece of mind that I will system dump 4.4.3 and have a ROM out
    within 24 hours of it's release containing every feature/improvement that I currently have in my current 4.4.2 ROM, I have spreadsheets
    prepared with all my needed changes with notes to make the implementation that much easier, my goal is to ship only 2 releases of 4.4.3
    when it launches, the first one will contain proper autobrightness, reboot menu, home button lag fix, SD write permissions and absolute minimal
    bloat to allow user customization, my 2nd release will go live once I'm done themeing that horrible new dialer I saw pictures of.
    many of you may have noticed I redid 4.3 not to long ago for a couple reasons, 1) 4.3 is preferred to some ppl and 2) practice, I want all the development
    fresh in my mind for the real ROM, which will be 4.4.3

I would also like to take this time to thank all my donators, you guys are extremely awesome and are helping me through some pretty tough times
    you guys are awesome!!! I can't wait to hear feedback once 4.4.3 ships and I get it out to you guys, there is no doubt in mind that my ROM gets better on screen time then any GPE ROM using
    stock Samsung dyanmic autobrightness, the AOSP values just destroy them in every way shape and form.

cheers and have a great night everyone, and remember my personal goal is to keep as many of you S4 users from upgrading as I can, I want everyone to not feel the need to update this device for another year, this will ultimately save you some cash too ;) I WILL not ditch this userbase for another device, I have every intention in keeping my S4.

Dan
    Reserved

reserved
    HOW DARE YOU DO AN UPDATE DAN! HOW DARE YOU MAKE MY PHONE BETTER!!!

12/10/2013
    -FULL WIPE! This is a big one
    -4.4.2 Camera (Focus is much better)
    -4.4.2 Gallery (this had a few updates with the effects in image editor)
    -Nova Launcher kit kat stable (released today, only 3mb)
    -Removed Google Experience Launcher (15 mb)
    -Improvements to the MMS theme (List font is now white, date/time now white, new images)
    -Added full init.d support (busybox runparts)
    -Removed HP Print plug in (useless bloat)
    -Added xuiMod module (Animation editor, list view, battery bar + more)

*tip toes away*