[ROM][4.4.4][KTU84Q][AOSP] Octo-Kat

Search This thread

Jimlarck

Mar 2, 2012
No matter what you do to the ROM source you don't have to post / release the source for it.

AOSP is NOT a GPL.

People open source their roms because they want to. They don't have to.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to post kernel source? I know ROM source isn't necessary though.

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to post kernel source? I know ROM source isn't necessary though.
You have to post kernel source IF it's a custom kernel. If you use the stock kernel with no modifications at all you don't need to post the source. The source is already available since it's unmodified in any way.

Basically saying it's stock kernel is enough. But if it isn't enough for somebody a link to the stock kernel source would cover it.

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
You have to post kernel source IF it's a custom kernel. If you use the stock kernel with no modifications at all you don't need to post the source. The source is already available since it's unmodified in any way.

Basically saying it's stock kernel is enough. But if it isn't enough for somebody a link to the stock kernel source would cover it.

It's a fine line about whether or not you have to link the stock source. I've seen mods on a couple of occasions ask for it to be posted though.

Jimlarck

Mar 2, 2012

Where does it say it uses a stock kernel? I can't find it on the OP

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
It doesn't. You can ask if it is. I believe somebody already did ask if it has stock kernel. I might be mistaking though.

And now that people have asked for it and a mod it needs to be posted / linked to.

There are occasions where stock source would need to be posted. Like this one when people start to dispute it and ask for it. Others where it's stated that it's stock. The about phone shows stock. The tool chain used is stock. When it's not even a compiled from source rom then it probably won't be

In the past xda has said if it's a ROM with stock device kernel it didn't need to be linked. Other post from xda I see says it needs to be linked if you do.

Examples. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1650721

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2645321

So who knows.

Either way the mod team has notified the OP and it will be taken care of.

Juansegovia20

Oct 21, 2013
Ummm. It's not about being against anybody. Smh.

It's about spreading correct information. If somebody is wrong, correct it. It is a not attack on somebody to correct something. Or standing up to somebody.

I actually like when I do say something wrong and or stupid and somebody corrects it. It's called learning. I'd rather be corrected than to keep repeating something that isn't true.
Sorry man, it's just that i have seen sims22 doing the same almost on every single thread, i don't post too often but I'm always reading

Jimlarck

Mar 2, 2012
It doesn't. You can ask if it is. I believe somebody already did ask if it has stock kernel. I might be mistaking though.

And now that people have asked for it and a mod it needs to be posted / linked to.

There are occasions where stock source would need to be posted. Like this one when people start to dispute it and ask for it. Others where it's stated that it's stock. The about phone shows stock. The tool chain used is stock. When it's not even a compiled from source rom then it probably won't be

In the past xda has said if it's a ROM with stock device kernel it didn't need to be linked. Other post from xda I see says it needs to be linked if you do.

So who knows.

Okay, just hope the OP got that taken care of. Would suck to lose Octa-Kat from XDA. Remember it on some past Samsung devices and it was always a pleasant experience.

Reactions: Juansegovia20

Grommish

Aug 21, 2009
www.teamoctos.com
We have always operated under GPLv2, which states Source code only needs to be posted if sending out a finalized executable.

That being said, we ALSO have always posted our license, Github link, etc under our "License" section of our website (http://www.teamoctos.com/license/) I apologize to those who want to scream, but not actually look. You can lead a horse to water, but only beat them so much.

GPLv2 request, under section 3a,
a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

Which we have, as indicated by the license on our website. As we aren't hosting on XDA (and we are on the website), the link to the code goes there, and not here. I've updated the OP to point to our license for those who can't be bothered to actually look.

Its also on our ProjectDB Profile folks. The fact we have pages of this means the trolls are taking over.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

It's a fine line about whether or not you have to link the stock source. I've seen mods on a couple of occasions ask for it to be posted though.

So who knows.

if the kernel hasnt been changed at all, source doesnt have to be listed at all, its only when changes are made to it. i said rom as well, where i was wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Sorry man, it's just that i have seen sims22 doing the same almost on every single thread, i don't post too often but I'm always reading

not, not every single thread. only where source is missing. and ive only asked 5 ops this past 18 months. 4 ops of which i became friends with.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

We have always operated under GPLv2, which states Source code only needs to be posted if sending out a finalized executable.

That being said, we ALSO have always posted our license, Github link, etc under our "License" section of our website (http://www.teamoctos.com/license/) I apologize to those who want to scream, but not actually look. You can lead a horse to water, but only beat them so much.

Which we have, as indicated by the license on our website. As we aren't hosting on XDA (and we are on the website), the link to the code goes there, and not here. I've updated the OP to point to our license for those who can't be bothered to actually look.

Its also on our ProjectDB Profile folks. The fact we have pages of this means the trolls are taking over.

works for me, thank you.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

again, i am not attacking the rom or its development.. im sure the rom is good and i personally do not know the developer. im protecting open source and what it stands for.

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
I'm pretty sure we can all get along a lot better then the last few pages..I'm also sure as we are a bunch of cool awesome guys and we all make mistakes or lack better words which can create disagreement, what matters is that in the end we are all here for the same. A good, healthy community with respect for each others work and person. Now group hug and lets all be mates. I don't like seeing a bunch of cool dudes disagreeing in harsh ways and not cool words being shared. We can do better and we will do better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Simms is a great guy, he also shares a lot, I'm sure his purpose was with the pure intention to make things right in order for this thread to prevail and keep existing allowing the Op to continue to share is fantastic work.

cjkacz

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 11, 2013
Sardinia
www.teamoctos.com
OK all. I know its been a while since we chatted so let me fill you in a bit. We have been extremely busy working behind the scenes. On what you ask? Well an announcement on that will be coming . ...I know , I know I hate these kind of posts too. But in fairness its not meant to be a tease but rather just letting you know we are still alive and kicking. 
Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

cjkacz

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 11, 2013
Sardinia
www.teamoctos.com
We've come to End-of-Life on Android KitKat 4.4.4. *The last official release from us, barring any emergency patch type situation, is now available up on the TeamOctOs.com website. *

Currently available builds for Samsung Galaxy S4 (JFLTE), Samsung Galaxy S3 (D2LTE), Nexus 7 Grouper, Nexus 7 Flo, and the HTC M8, Galaxy Nexus toro, Lge mako and Lge hammerhead.

We are currently evaluating our entrance into Android 5, and will have more information in the future. *We release this to give you something to turn to when the A5 frustrations take you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Screenshot4_zpse298fc5b.png

Disclaimer: OctOS is a WIP. It has been evaluated as being stable, and is suitable for daily use in most cases. While it may be considered stable, there may be unknown bugs. The development team is not responsible for any damage to your device or your information.

Team OctOs presents Octo-Kat.​

features_zps4ffd054f.png

downloads_zps53bf4168.png

We maintain a current release record and change-log on our website: http://www.teamoctos.com

-Do Not Mirror our files without talking to us. We can do that ourselves should we desire to.-

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: Why isn't there XXXXXXX feature.
    A: Shoot us a Suggestion if you want to see something added. While we are not going to promise to implement, we will always look into it

Q: But CM and all the others have..
    A: ROM developers, including CM, build something they want to use. The ROM dev that includes something they won't run implies less than 100% effort to ensure it does work. As a team, we have similar goals and objectives. If XYZ ROM has a feature you want, and we don't (or don't want), feel free to use XYZ ROM, or build your own custom version of Octo-Kat

ADB Logcat tutorial here: How to create a logcat log

Bugs:
    Let us know if you run into bugs. Get Syslog from the Android Market, if you don't already have it. No logs and we can only try to recreate the event off of vague descriptions. Please also include what you were doing when it FCed or failed. Logs can be emailed to: [email protected]

Basic Instructions:
    1. Download ROM .zip file
    2. Reboot to Recovery (Note: Use Three-Finger or adb reboot recovery - ROM Manager or similar software is NOT supported)
      --- TWRP is the ONLY recovery Team OctOs uses - We do not support flashing on CWM ---
    3. Flash ROM and GApps .zip files
    4. Reboot

A Note about the Team OctOs GApps
    We in Team OctOs believe in choices. We believe in leaving the fundamental decisions about your phone to you.

In that spirit, Team OctOs gives you options for your GApps experiences. While any GApps package should work, we offer you the choice of using some of the same GApps packages that we use ourselves, and leave the choice up to you.

Special thanks to
    • @broodplank1337 for the great aosp source to start
    • @buckmarble for helping on a lot of random issues. :good:

We would also like to thank
    • CyanogenMod for their device specific files and drivers
    • ChameleonOS
    • SlimROM
    • OmniROM
    • Anyone else who has ever submitted Open-Source code

Find our license here
    Find our repos here

Follow Us at the various website below!

XDA:DevDB Information
    OctOS-Galaxy Nexus 5 variants, ROM for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
    Grommish, Dubbsy, cjkacz, treken, hlxanthus, buckmarble, winner00, wizard0f0s
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Nexus 5 rooted with recovery
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2013-12-27

Created 2014-07-24
    Last Updated 2014-08-28

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

Just wanted to welcome our new users and am glad we can offer you our ROM. Enjoy!
    OK all. I know its been a while since we chatted so let me fill you in a bit. We have been extremely busy working behind the scenes. On what you ask? Well an announcement on that will be coming . ...I know , I know I hate these kind of posts too. But in fairness its not meant to be a tease but rather just letting you know we are still alive and kicking. 
    I'm pretty sure we can all get along a lot better then the last few pages..I'm also sure as we are a bunch of cool awesome guys and we all make mistakes or lack better words which can create disagreement, what matters is that in the end we are all here for the same. A good, healthy community with respect for each others work and person. Now group hug and lets all be mates. I don't like seeing a bunch of cool dudes disagreeing in harsh ways and not cool words being shared. We can do better and we will do better.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Simms is a great guy, he also shares a lot, I'm sure his purpose was with the pure intention to make things right in order for this thread to prevail and keep existing allowing the Op to continue to share is fantastic work.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone