toast-bootanimation.gif

Smooth like Butta

Follow on G+: Team Vanir

Vanir Team:
NuclearMistake
Sonicxml
DHO
PrimeDirective
Shouldn't I be here :rolleyes: Nah I just write device code nothing more.

Not all features are available yet.

Features:

Welcome to VanirAOSP. Our mission is to deliver a clean optimized version of Android with subtly improved versions of the features you love to as many devices as possible. we've tried to incorporate and improve our features in a way that makes them more cohesive to improve the overall user experience while correcting any performance regressions and improving functionality..

What to expect:
- This is not a McCopy ROM. What goes into our build is well thought-out and not a bunch of stuff duck taped together because we could.
- maximum optimization. We do our research. We test hard. We build -fstrict -O3 globally and include a massive array of code optimizations and memory leak fixes that we write ourselves and eventually submit to AOSP or Linaro.
- originality in our source. We generate a lot of new commits being features or general code improvements. We are open source to share and improve the community but we also try to make sure we offer a unique experience.
- aesthetics.. hopefully in your opinion :p

General features:
stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
custom written CRON and init.d.
UI and graphics improvements
custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
improved notification handling (active display & halo are in review also)
usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
animation control
Improved Vanir keyboard
CM's profiles & quicksettings
additional quicksetting tiles
immersive mode
statusbar mods
clock & battery mods
lockscreen blur and other mods
soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
yatta yatta yatta
more to come when i feel like updating the op

Changelog from Gerrit:
**Vanir Open Status

** Vanir Alternative Open Status

**Vanir Merged Status

** Vanir Alternative Merged Status

Vanir Downloads:

** Latest build Available until nightlies are available

**Nightlies when available

Vanir Github:
**VanirAOSP Git

Gapps:
**4.4.x PA Gapps

Installation Instructions
Make sure your running cwm before attempting installation HERE
Backup current rom
Full wipe
Install ROM
Install Gapps

Thanks
TeamVanir
Keithn for being outstanding :cool:
Everyone here for keeping me inspired

Source
Kernel
Common device tree
Shieldtablet Wifi only tree
Vendor
Patches required to build another rom

XDA:DevDB Information
Vanir AOSP for Nvidia Shield Tablet WIFI only, ROM for the Nvidia Shield Tablet

Contributors
Unjustified Dev, Keithn
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-08-28
Last Updated 2014-09-01

Last edited:

MRobbo80

Apr 9, 2013
Yeovil
Okay will download now and give you some feed back.

Will give you a update this evening gives the ROM a chance. Had one fc on allow rotation in lock screen but so far very impressed further in depth later today

Last edited:
Reactions: Unjustified Dev

phobic99

Jan 29, 2008
It's been tested and so far no issues I would like feedback but seems no one can give up nvidia features. I guess I will have to start porting their apps soon.

I'm interested in putting this on but I'd be missing some of the stock features suck as the direct stylus app, the power optimization features, and the controller app for starters.

ssj3hulk

Dec 14, 2011
Not bad ROM, however after installing this ROM the tablet is only a 'Shield" device by name. Play Store recognize it as "NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet", however all Shield exclusive apps (Shield Hub, Half Life 2, Portal, etc) are marked as not compatyble.

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
This score is from antutu 5.0 not 4.0

Yes it was the newest one. I just grabbed it because some people are interested. It looks close to stock anyway.

Not bad ROM, however after installing this ROM the tablet is only a 'Shield" device by name. Play Store recognize it as "NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet", however all Shield exclusive apps (Shield Hub, Half Life 2, Portal, etc) are marked as not compatyble.

Yeah that is one thing that may require the build.prop to be modified. I'll play with it today and see what needs to be done, I was playing with getting stock apps working. I have shield hub working and I can stream.
I did a quick search and found this app , market-helper/. It let me download HL2.

Last edited:

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Yes it was the newest one. I just grabbed it because some people are interested. It looks close to stock anyway.

Yeah that is one thing that may require the build.prop to be modified. I'll play with it today and see what needs to be done, I was playing with getting stock apps working. I have shield hub working and I can stream.
I did a quick search and found this app , market-helper/. It let me download HL2.
Confusing I thought that's what it needed it to say? I matched build.prop to stock ROM I'll check again. I checked model etc is exactly the same

Last edited:

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Confusing I thought that's what it needed it to say? I matched build.prop to stock ROM I'll check again. I checked model etc is exactly the same

I looked and it does look like you matched the stock build prop so I have no idea. That app does make it work though so I'm not sure

Sent from my One M8

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
Currently no , we do plan on porting those in the future as we know that's something most people want. I plan to include them in a separate installation I don't think it should be a default installation for everyone.

i'd say, for me, 100% yes

i'd love for the shield tablet to operate as intended, and also be customizable through roms.

would it be enough to do a titanium backup of these apks (directstylus launcher, shield console mode, shield wireless controller, shield hub) and just restore them through?

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
i'd say, for me, 100% yes

i'd love for the shield tablet to operate as intended, and also be customizable through roms.

would it be enough to do a titanium backup of these apks (directstylus launcher, shield console mode, shield wireless controller, shield hub) and just restore them through?

Nope. Some apps might work but there are required lib files and things that will not be backed up in the process. I've been trying but haven't had a ton of time yet. I'll work with it some more this weekend.

Sent from my One M8

ssj3hulk

Dec 14, 2011
So far this os is better for gaming, than the original, since games are more smooth running under this os. Too bad Shield apps are missing...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    toast-bootanimation.gif

Smooth like Butta

Follow on G+: Team Vanir

Vanir Team:
    NuclearMistake
    Sonicxml
    DHO
    PrimeDirective
    Shouldn't I be here :rolleyes: Nah I just write device code nothing more.

Not all features are available yet.

Features:

Welcome to VanirAOSP. Our mission is to deliver a clean optimized version of Android with subtly improved versions of the features you love to as many devices as possible. we've tried to incorporate and improve our features in a way that makes them more cohesive to improve the overall user experience while correcting any performance regressions and improving functionality..

What to expect:
    - This is not a McCopy ROM. What goes into our build is well thought-out and not a bunch of stuff duck taped together because we could.
    - maximum optimization. We do our research. We test hard. We build -fstrict -O3 globally and include a massive array of code optimizations and memory leak fixes that we write ourselves and eventually submit to AOSP or Linaro.
    - originality in our source. We generate a lot of new commits being features or general code improvements. We are open source to share and improve the community but we also try to make sure we offer a unique experience.
    - aesthetics.. hopefully in your opinion :p

General features:
    stock mode - ability revert to stock AOSP code with the exception of a few custom features we chose to keep active
    enhanced performance.. longer uptime with less slowdown
    custom written CRON and init.d.
    UI and graphics improvements
    custom navbar, navring, and hardware key features
    improved notification handling (active display & halo are in review also)
    usability improvements like power reboot menu and sound
    animation control
    Improved Vanir keyboard
    CM's profiles & quicksettings
    additional quicksetting tiles
    immersive mode
    statusbar mods
    clock & battery mods
    lockscreen blur and other mods
    soon to come -> quick cam and flash notifications
    busybox, embedded root, init.d, cron etc
    yatta yatta yatta
    more to come when i feel like updating the op

Changelog from Gerrit:
    **Vanir Open Status

** Vanir Alternative Open Status

**Vanir Merged Status

** Vanir Alternative Merged Status

Vanir Downloads:

** Latest build Available until nightlies are available

**Nightlies when available

Vanir Github:
    **VanirAOSP Git

Gapps:
    **4.4.x PA Gapps

Installation Instructions
    Make sure your running cwm before attempting installation HERE
    Backup current rom
    Full wipe
    Install ROM
    Install Gapps

Thanks
    TeamVanir
    Keithn for being outstanding :cool:
    Everyone here for keeping me inspired

Source
    Kernel
    Common device tree
    Shieldtablet Wifi only tree
    Vendor
    Patches required to build another rom

XDA:DevDB Information
    Vanir AOSP for Nvidia Shield Tablet WIFI only, ROM for the Nvidia Shield Tablet

Contributors
    Unjustified Dev, Keithn
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-08-28
    Last Updated 2014-09-01
    I'm working on porting vanir L5 with all NVIDIA binaries included. Any interest in a 5.0.2 ROM?
    Will we be looking forward to a 5.0 ROM in the near future?

Most of us are from different teams in a joint effort to get a stable device tree, so hopefully it'll be a bunch of new lollipop roms.

I think all of us have booting roms, just not very stable. Just a matter of time to iron out the kinks.
    I can't do this alone.

Fear not, as I have seen many developers on XDA start out just the same....TommyTarts' Quantum Kernel for the AT&T GS3, KT747 Kernel by Ktoonsez, all began with experimentation and the learning followed...

So I need some other people who know their way around git, know their way around linux and have the time to spend with me looking for solutions. I'm right now fully synced with CM and the Shield source, now I'm working on merging the 2.
    Here is video of it running on my shield tablet, very smooth indeed = ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIZgwieDGM
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone