[ROM][4.4][NIGHTLY][DISCUSSION] OmniROM 4.4.2 for GT-N7000

Search This thread

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
The development thread can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2516933

KNOWN ISSUES FOR N7000
- Wifi tethering doesn't work Fixed!
- Screen recording doesn't work (but camera recording works just fine!)
- Opendelta sometimes freezes when checking/downloading update (see FAQ)
- Charging while power off doesn't work. Fixed!
- Music playback sometimes stops randomly when using a wired headset. (we need more info on this issue, please report here in this thread if you experience it!)
- MHL Doesn't work (and probably never will).

FAQ
For those questions that pops up all the time, this will be updated often.
Also, remember to thank those who provides the answers!

Q: How does OpenDelta auto updater work?
At first, OpenDelta will check if a Rom Zip is available on your device. If OpenDelta doesn't find it, it will download a Rom. (~170mb) From then, it will only download the difference (delta) and patches the initial Rom zip within internal SD /OpenDelta. Then, after the patch, the Rom zip will be around 280mb, as it is uncompressed.

Q: Why does OpenDelta freeze from time to time when trying to update the ROM?
@Chainfire is still working on it:
FYI, people still suffering from the OTA updater freezing mid-verify, mid-download or mid-patch, we've found a lot of way how it didn't get fixed :) Putting the sdcard handling code in debug mode gets rid of the problem, but obviously we don't want to do that in production, eh!

Q: I pressed "flash now" but TWRP recovery says "status failed". What do I do now?
How about switching your pointer from external storage to *internal storage* within TWRP > INSTALL option?

Q: What's the "Flash after update" folder in the OpenDelta folder?
It's for .zip files you want the openrecoveryscript to flash automatically after flashing a nightly. Take a look at this thread for examples.

Q: How do I keep root after flashing nightlies?
After rooting, open SuperSU app - settings - Install SuperSU backup script.

Q: Does this ROM come with call recording?
No, and it won't. However, this app has been confirmed working for some users: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=polis.app.callrecorder

Q: How can I get FM radio on this ROM?

Q: How can I get Samsung stock apps like S-note?
Go back to Stock ROM or search play store for whatever your needs are. You'll probably find something that's better than Samsung apps anyway. If you're still wondering - OmniRom will not and can never support Samsung stock apps.

Q: How can I get soft keys / navigation bar?
Soft keys aka navigation bar
Edit build.prop (use preferred ROM Toolbox lite/pro or a suitable root file explorer)
Add the following line at the end:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
You'll get navigation bar / soft keys and the desired layout of lockscreen.

HOW TO INSTALL
First time installing OmniROM to your Galaxy Note, or coming from another ROM:
- Read known issues and FAQs
- Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery - WITH SELINUX SUPPORT!
- Copy GApps and OmniROM ZIPs to your SDCard
- Boot into Recovery
- Flash OmniROM zip from SDCard
- Flash GApps zip from SDCard
- DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
- Reboot
- Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
- Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!

Upgrading from earlier version of OmniROM:
- Copy the OmniROM ZIP to your SDCard
- Boot into Recovery
- Flash the OmniROM zip from SDCard
- Reboot
Also, remember to flash this after flashing ROM for root access: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu/

Last edited:

ingott77

Jan 15, 2010
General probs I have with Rom

_

I would love to use this rom as my daily driver but due to some issues I have reverted to my previous setup slimsabre.

Phone gets very hot whilst charging - but charges at acceptable rate. I have replaced battery but still same.

Sometimes phone gets very hot even when not in use - I could not find any reason even looking at better batt stats and cpu spy - tried reinstalling rom and gapps only and this still happened - Phone would just become very hot to hold at some random time.

Any help on this appreciated as I do not know what is causing this.

Ingott
_

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
_

I would love to use this rom as my daily driver but due to some issues I have reverted to my previous setup slimsabre.

Phone gets very hot whilst charging - but charges at acceptable rate. I have replaced battery but still same.

Sometimes phone gets very hot even when not in use - I could not find any reason even looking at better batt stats and cpu spy - tried reinstalling rom and gapps only and this still happened - Phone would just become very hot to hold at some random time.

Any help on this appreciated as I do not know what is causing this.

Ingott
_

If you got the new battery cheap off eBay or similar it's a good chance that it's fake. I've had a couple of those, heating up to the point where you're afraid of damages.

Sent from my phone using some app

When I first installed Omni my phone stayed hot for ages. It turned out that Google+, which normally I do not use and have frozen on previous ROMs, was going absolutely nuts doing some sort of background sync and downloading truckloads of data. The app was running in the background for over an hour with the CPU cores pretty much maxed out. Maybe your problem is the same. Maybe not. Eventually G+ finished its evil work and the phone performance and temperature returned to normal.

I ran with the ROM for a few days and it seemed stable, but I've actually reverted to Samsung's latest stock ROM as KitKat really wasn't doing it for me. Basically I saw no tangible benefits but did lose some convenient features and interface changes were definitely a backward step with Omni. Maybe when it's matured and ART is working fully I'll take another run at it.

tysonraylee

Mar 15, 2012
Gotham
gesture typing is not working for me on aosp keyboard, currently on 15/12/2013 nightly with 14/12/2013 mini modular pa gapps. is it the same for others?? or is it a known bug?
thank you :)

"Nothing is true" "Everything is permitted"

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

so.. been using that and didn't know that.. any other good kernel which is battery friendly and with good performance as well?

Try raw kernel ?
don't know how its performance is but its the only 4.4 kernel for aosp now.
go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2397000

Last edited:

William Haven

Dec 28, 2011
Beja / Vila Real Santo António
so.. been using that and didn't know that.. any other good kernel which is battery friendly and with good performance as well?

Omni kernel(with SD access) was only available after flashing ROM since 12th Dec nightly, so it depends what rom you're on right now. Or perhaps you flashed Raw Kernel over it?

I would advise you to do a clean install. There's no other kernel available right now for 4.4 But it should work.

Last edited:

tysonraylee

Mar 15, 2012
Gotham

i solved it by flashing the Google keyboard from the pa gapps thread.
rebooting the device after clearing the aosp keyboard data didn't work.
the Google keyboard has no difference over the aosp one but has a working gesture typing.
you could do that too :)
-download Google keyboard zip
-reboot to recovery
-flash the zip
-clear cache and dalvik cache
-reboot
-select Google keyboard from settings->language and input
done
hope it helps :)

direct keyboard link from pa gapps thread www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23252070760975522

Last edited:

techMagnificent

May 24, 2012
Mumbai
Guys, a little confused here,

is openDelta already integrated into the 12/15 Nightly?
if so, then why is it trying to download the whole ROM?
I think the first time we use it, it Downloads the entire ROM and then the next time it checks hashes and then only downloads updated files...
please clarify, as I thought It only downlods changed files and checks hash for that.

thought downloading fails midway, tried almost 7-8 times now,
I already increased the screen time on to 30 minues, what else can I do to get it downloaded completely

Last edited:

shreshth89

Sep 17, 2012
Unhappy slow charging and poor battery life.. over heating while using mobile interne

First of all many thanks for developing such a good rom. everything is upto the mark the only critical issue i am facing is very very slow charging, and along with very poor battery life i am using build of 12-12-2013. i charge my phone to 100% (it takes almost 6hrs) and it drains within 1hr (normal usage). Also i tried with two other new batteries as well same issue.
And there is one more issue whenever we change the music (forward/play-pause) using headset screen automatically turns on. Screen also turns on automatically sometimes without going on anything.
Phone over heats while running multiple application or using internet
Screen brightness is way to high on automatic setting mode even though i adjusted it with the flux response settings, in the settings of phone.
Guys please help me out i don't know much abt anroid programming and bug fixing please.

chacal1906

Jul 25, 2012
gps fix

I had a problem when I wanted to use google map for navigation, I never managed to get a gps fix. (The real problem isn't the first fix but after, it never moove on map)
Does that work for you?
I'm on the nightlie of 15/12.

Last edited:

AA1973

@techMagnificent
At first, OpenDelta will check if a Rom Zip is available on your device. If OpenDelta doesn't find it, it will download a Rom. (~170mb)
From then, it will only download the difference (delta) and patches the initial Rom zip within internal SD /OpenDelta.
Then, after the patch, the Rom zip will be around 280mb, as it is uncompressed.

For battery drain. Install better battery stats as system app (settings > advanced) which you can find on xda. Check which app and service is driving your phone nuts.

GALAXY NOTE N7000 // KITKAT 4.4.2 // OMNI

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
@techMagnificent
At first, OpenDelta will check if a Rom Zip is available on your device. If OpenDelta doesn't find it, it will download a Rom. (~170mb)
From then, it will only download the difference (delta) and patches the initial Rom zip within internal SD /OpenDelta.
Then, after the patch, the Rom zip will be around 280mb, as it is uncompressed.

For battery drain. Install better battery stats as system app (settings > advanced) which you can find on xda. Check which app and service is driving your phone nuts.

GALAXY NOTE N7000 // KITKAT 4.4.2 // OMNI

Added to FAQ in OP. Thanks :)

se1988

Nov 24, 2008
All Your Base
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I had a problem when I wanted to use google map for navigation, I never managed to get a gps fix. (The real problem isn't the first fix but after, it never moove on map)
Does that work for you?
I'm on the nightlie of 15/12.

I never use maps for navigation, but i just got to my destination using Sygic. No problems with gps lock or navigation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The development thread can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2516933

KNOWN ISSUES FOR N7000
    - Wifi tethering doesn't work Fixed!
    - Screen recording doesn't work (but camera recording works just fine!)
    - Opendelta sometimes freezes when checking/downloading update (see FAQ)
    - Charging while power off doesn't work. Fixed!
    - Music playback sometimes stops randomly when using a wired headset. (we need more info on this issue, please report here in this thread if you experience it!)
    - MHL Doesn't work (and probably never will).

FAQ
    For those questions that pops up all the time, this will be updated often.
    Also, remember to thank those who provides the answers!

Q: How does OpenDelta auto updater work?
    At first, OpenDelta will check if a Rom Zip is available on your device. If OpenDelta doesn't find it, it will download a Rom. (~170mb) From then, it will only download the difference (delta) and patches the initial Rom zip within internal SD /OpenDelta. Then, after the patch, the Rom zip will be around 280mb, as it is uncompressed.

Q: Why does OpenDelta freeze from time to time when trying to update the ROM?
    @Chainfire is still working on it:
    FYI, people still suffering from the OTA updater freezing mid-verify, mid-download or mid-patch, we've found a lot of way how it didn't get fixed :) Putting the sdcard handling code in debug mode gets rid of the problem, but obviously we don't want to do that in production, eh!

Q: I pressed "flash now" but TWRP recovery says "status failed". What do I do now?
    How about switching your pointer from external storage to *internal storage* within TWRP > INSTALL option?

Q: What's the "Flash after update" folder in the OpenDelta folder?
    It's for .zip files you want the openrecoveryscript to flash automatically after flashing a nightly. Take a look at this thread for examples.

Q: How do I keep root after flashing nightlies?
    After rooting, open SuperSU app - settings - Install SuperSU backup script.

Q: Does this ROM come with call recording?
    No, and it won't. However, this app has been confirmed working for some users: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=polis.app.callrecorder

Q: How can I get FM radio on this ROM?

Q: How can I get Samsung stock apps like S-note?
    Go back to Stock ROM or search play store for whatever your needs are. You'll probably find something that's better than Samsung apps anyway. If you're still wondering - OmniRom will not and can never support Samsung stock apps.

Q: How can I get soft keys / navigation bar?
    Soft keys aka navigation bar
    Edit build.prop (use preferred ROM Toolbox lite/pro or a suitable root file explorer)
    Add the following line at the end:
    Code:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
    You'll get navigation bar / soft keys and the desired layout of lockscreen.

HOW TO INSTALL
    First time installing OmniROM to your Galaxy Note, or coming from another ROM:
    - Read known issues and FAQs
    - Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery - WITH SELINUX SUPPORT!
    - Copy GApps and OmniROM ZIPs to your SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash OmniROM zip from SDCard
    - Flash GApps zip from SDCard
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
    - Reboot
    - Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
    - Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!

Upgrading from earlier version of OmniROM:
    - Copy the OmniROM ZIP to your SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery
    - Flash the OmniROM zip from SDCard
    - Reboot
    Also, remember to flash this after flashing ROM for root access: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu/
    Please find attached 2 backup scripts for
    + BetterBatteryStats
    + Xposed Framework (Installer)
    Why is it necessary? Both "apps" need to be installed (again and again) after a nightly update and require a reboot.
    With these backup scripts, both actions (installation and reboot) are obsolete, not necessary anymore.
    Just update the nightly and both Xposed&BBS are fully functional, no reboot, ready to use.
    Profit!
    BTW I m using both scripts since 10days or so, they are both fully working...

1. Backup Script for Better Battery Stats - Installation
    Settings of BBS/Prerequisite
    + Most recent Version 1.15
    + Root Features in Settings > Advanced ticked √
    + Install BBS as System App (Experimental) is done as well as a Reboot!!! √
    Also in Settings > Advanced > at the bottom
    Should look like this after a reboot and a successful update!
    daqe8ygy.jpg

+ Rename script by deleting .txt
    + Copy paste into /system/addon.d (make it RW!)
    + Change permission in 755 ( rwx r-x r-x ) User and Group must be 0: Root !!!!
    davaru3e.jpg

+ Make it RO again.

After a nightly update, BBS is already installed in priv-app and working.
    Tool used > Solid Explorer

2. Backup Script for Xposed Framework
    + Rename script by deleting .txt
    + Copy paste into /system/addon.d (make it RW!)
    + Change permission in 755 ( rwx r-x r-x ) User and Group must be 0: Root !!!!
    reze9uge.jpg

+ Make it RO again.

After a nightly update, Xposed framework is already installed and working. All modules I personally use where up and running.
    - Enable Battery Stats on KitKat. Needed for Wake lock Detector, which is quite handy with...
    - Greenify donate.
    - Intelli3G. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voidvapps.intelli3g

Tool used > Solid Explorer

+++ CAUTION +++
    There are issues with some file explorers, so make sure that your root file explorer is capable of pasting those files in /addon.d and changing ownership and permissions!

Total Commander for instance pasted the file, but with size 0 byte.
    Solid Explorer did work for me. Root Browser (included in ROM Toolbox) seems to work, too.

Have fun.

Thanks to:
    * Omni for a wonderful ROM
    * CM Team for the initial backup script which I used for the BBS script
    * Rovo89 for the framework&1st backup script
    * Fiouz for the Xposed backup script as it is now http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43473060
    No. It is against xda rules (best Rom, best kernel etc) . Install both and compare them and choose the one which suits you better.
    The main difference is described in Asylum Omni thread in the first post.
    wherz d Link

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    what-if-i-dbjznv.jpg
    a5atuby5.jpg

For future questions: I made this because the post above me told me to read the OP or get out. LOL.

Sent from my phone using some app