• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][4.4][Unofficial] OmniROM for N8000/N8010/N8013

Search This thread

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

Announcements

Discuss the official nightlies here! Also, TheMorpheus has taken over building and distributing N8000 unofficial builds, so go to his thread for more up to date builds!

Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer applies, your warranty is void, this may eat your dog or burn your house down, delete all your pictures, etc.

Instructions

0. You need a recovery that supports SELinux. I'm told that recent versions of CWM support it, but I haven't tried them myself. So if you aren't on the latest CWM (in particular, if you're on the last version of TWRP officially released for this device) you will need to flash a newer recovery. For best results, use my TWRP 2.6.3.x builds (other recoveries may not be compatible with delta updates for official nightlies).

If you want to flash my recovery, download the recovery.img and flash it using ODIN or Mobile ODIN. You can also use Recovery Tools to flash it from your device

1. Flash the ROM.

2. Flash SuperSU if you want root (it's not yet included in the ROM). I have not tried any other Superuser apps but SuperSU is supposed to be incorporated into Omni eventually. Important: you may need to install a backup script using SuperSU to persist it across flashes - see the settings in SuperSU for that.

3. Flash Kitkat/4.4 compatible Gapps (PA has some that work with this ROM).

1-3 can be queued in TWRP.

4. If coming from a different ROM wipe data/factory reset, otherwise you probably won't boot

Downloads
TWRP 2.6.3.1 (unofficial version; the 4th digit is basically just for device specific changes). Use Flashify, Mobile Odin, or Recovery Tools to flash .img files.
twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.img
twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.img
ODIN flashable tars:
twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.tar.md5
twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.tar.md5
You must flash this (or other 4.4 compatible recovery) if you're on the official TWRP 2.6.3.0 or other outdated recoveries, if you get an error about set_metadata_recursive when flashing

omni-4.4.2-20140210-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip - N8000 Builds discontinued by me, see posts from TheMorpheus for updates.
omni-4.4.2-20140302-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip

Older releases in the Downloads tab

Sources
Device trees:

android_device_samsung_n80xx-common
android_device_samsung_n801x
android_device_samsung_n8000

Frameworks (I may make some device specific changes or just cherry pick things like MultiWindow)

android_frameworks_base

Thanks, and have a nice day!

XDA:DevDB Information
OmniROM, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Contributors
iofthestorm, Entropy512, espenfjo, humberos
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2013-12-01
Last Updated 2014-03-03

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-30-23-29-06.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-30-23-29-06.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 42,966
Last edited:

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
Known Issues

See bug reports at http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=1828#bugReporter

Experimental stuff
  • Multiwindow, to me, is the one of the most exciting features of OmniROM, but it is a work in progress and not completed yet. I will be doing builds with MultiWindow, but currently it does not function well yet - no bug reports on this please, but feel free to discuss it here.

Building instructions

For n801x, the repos are now on omnirom so you can just repo sync the omnirom tree and then brunch n801x. You'll need to cherry pick kernel fixes though.

For n8000, here's my local_manifests.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project path="device/samsung/n8013" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8013" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
  <project path="device/samsung/n8000" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8000" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
  <project path="device/samsung/n80xx-common" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n80xx-common" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
  <project path="vendor/samsung" name="DonkeyCoyote/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
  <project name="codeworkx/omniscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="android-4.4">
    <copyfile dest="build.sh" src="build.sh" />
  </project>
</manifest>

Last edited:

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
Changelog

1/6/14 (test, n8013 only): s3cfb drivers updated using i9300 update 12 code, also seems to fix screen issues but build seems laggy - not sure if related.

1/4/14: s3cfb commit reverted, fixes screen issues.

1/3/14: Quicksettings configuration and more tiles merged!

1/2/14: Threw in the towel and rolled back to Mali r3p1 drivers, screen glitches seem to be gone.

1/1/14: Updated libUMP.so, not sure if this has any effect.

12/27/13: Just a build for N8000 to fix audio.

12/25/13: Sorry for the lack of changelog updates, but not that much has changed recently. There are a host of new options in the interface settings, and that's the main difference. Camcorder audio sort of works. First N8000 build.

12/03/13: The big change is that xplodwild is a genius and he got Multiwindow sort of working again on Kitkat. It still crashes a lot of apps but you can try it out at least. Just please don't report any bugs about it to him (can talk about them here if you want).

Some other neat stuff:
Performance Control (in settings) also got a major UI revamp, see https://gerrit.omnirom.org/3067 - Great work Alexander Martinz!
There also appear to be some camera improvements for smdk4412 devices ( https://gerrit.omnirom.org/3052 ) - dunno how much this changes really, since tablet cameras universally suck :p
The "transformer yelling" during unlock while playing music seems to have been fixed! https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/3014/
Option to hide ADB debugging notification: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/2933

11/29/13: First build

Last edited:

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
So this is really weird to have the first bug report be yourself, but has anyone experienced something like this? All of a sudden I'm getting image persistence in the corners of my screen (eg. clock shows up in recovery) as well as fading around the edges (I was like woah, Google Launcher fades the edges now too? Wait a minute...). I've had an issue where my LCD cable was loose before and it resulted in weird artifacts until I opened up my tablet and reinserted the cable, but I'm wondering if this is caused by the same thing or if it's something I've done wrong with the ROM. It even shows up in recovery and at boot time. And now my screen is flickering like crazy (in everything, ROM or recovery). I've been running this build for about a day though so if it's more than just a hardware issue on my tablet it probably won't show up instantly. I'm 90% sure it's because of my loose cable thing but just as a fair warning to anyone else...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vw8o98coistu63w/jlQOpGrlcY

chappatti

Sep 3, 2007
So this is really weird to have the first bug report be yourself, but has anyone experienced something like this? All of a sudden I'm getting image persistence in the corners of my screen (eg. clock shows up in recovery) as well as fading around the edges (I was like woah, Google Launcher fades the edges now too? Wait a minute...). I've had an issue where my LCD cable was loose before and it resulted in weird artifacts until I opened up my tablet and reinserted the cable, but I'm wondering if this is caused by the same thing or if it's something I've done wrong with the ROM. It even shows up in recovery and at boot time. And now my screen is flickering like crazy (in everything, ROM or recovery). I've been running this build for about a day though so if it's more than just a hardware issue on my tablet it probably won't show up instantly. I'm 90% sure it's because of my loose cable thing but just as a fair warning to anyone else...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vw8o98coistu63w/jlQOpGrlcY

Any progress? Is this safe enough to try??:)

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
Any progress? Is this safe enough to try??:)

Hah dude, I just posted that 5 minutes ago... anyway, I have a project to work on for school and finals to study for so I unfortunately cannot spend much more time than I already have on this for a few weeks (I really already spent too much time today setting up this thread and stuff). I really don't think this is an issue of the ROM but rather just my tablet because I've had a history of weird screen issues (I really should have RMAed it when it started happening but i started to depend on it heavily for school/research work). I personally think it should be safe to flash, no different from any other ROM since it uses more or less the same device code/blobs, but I don't really know since it's kind of coincidental that this happened to me today. I'd appreciate it if people would try it out and report back if they see this happen. FWIW the persistence/burn in went away but my screen was still flickering after I powered it down for a while, so I'm just going to shut it down for tonight and see what it's like tomorrow.

theatomizer90

Dec 21, 2012
Can we get some pics or a video? My eyes must behold this rom!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
Can we get some pics or a video? My eyes must behold this rom!

I've been trying to upload screenshots to the screenshots page but for some reason XDA keeps eating them. I'm trying to use all the features of DevDB rather than put everything in the OP so that it's more organized[1]

I'll try again later, but for now there's just a screenshot of the settings app which shows the glorious Android 4.4 label. I don't know why it's not showing the other files I uploaded.

Just FYI, my screen persistence/burn in and flickering issue went away. One thing that I forgot is that OmniROM is using newer Mali (GPU) drivers than CM10 was (and I think CM11 as well, since most of the experienced Exynos guys jumped ship to Omni) for Exynos 4412 devices. So there's a small chance that that's related, but most likely it's just the screen issues that my specific unit has had since a few months after I got it.

[1] On that note, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could use the bug reports feature when reporting bugs, it seems much more organized than having bug reports scattered through a thread. We can keep the thread for general discussion and perhaps developer talk, and the bug tracker will make it easier for people to find bugs at a glance.

Oh, derp! XDA limits PNG files to a maximum of 256KB, which is too small for any screenshots except for the settings screen which is mostly black and white. Here's a temporary solution I suppose, I'll just stick them on my Dropbox for now: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2qkn7aj9g8l1y3l/zf8uH4lb8O

There's not a whole lot new here yet to be honest, Omni is mostly just getting started and some of the innovations have been more phone oriented. But you can see the cool Kitkat features such as transparent status and navbars, as well as the immersive mode/swipe down to show notification bar feature (which is supported in MX Player, pretty neat). And the launcher pictured is the Google Experience Launcher so you get your Google Now on the leftmost homescreen which is neat. Though I prefer Action Launcher Pro anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: theatomizer90

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
that screen "issues" you are talking about... yeah, i have that too. locked tablet, and on unlock, whole screen goes white. restarted it and everything is fine. for now.
only bug i found is only half visible clock in expanded notification bar. a little annoying.

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
that screen "issues" you are talking about... yeah, i have that too. locked tablet, and on unlock, whole screen goes white. restarted it and everything is fine. for now.
only bug i found is only half visible clock in expanded notification bar. a little annoying.

Oh, did the screen issue happen after flashing the ROM or is that something that happened on your tablet before too?

Yeah, the clock thing is really weird and annoying, not sure why it happens. I think there aren't that many tablet users of Omni so some stuff may just be broken on some tablet layouts. I'll look into it in a few days.

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
yup, after flashing rom (which is awesome by the way, i'm looking forward for your new updates)... but, for now after that one reboot i haven't experienced any screen issues
oh, and for clock... it dissapeared completely and now i have an empty space which is better because that half clock was useless. so yeah, if you implement tablet mode it will be perfect for me

Reactions: Catzmuze

ackmke

Apr 24, 2012
Looks like I'm able to flash using cwm 6.0.4.4. :) I used flashify to update my cwm.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Edit:

Here is a link to the version of cwm that I used: http://d-h.st/ljE

Flash this recovery with Flashify (for root version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify&hl=en

Great work @iofthestorm !

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Interesting. I was having issues playing Netflix--I had sound but no video. This xposed module for cm10.1 fixed it for me.

I have no idea why it works. I just remembered having to do that for cm10.1, so I tried it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2101525

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
yup, after flashing rom (which is awesome by the way, i'm looking forward for your new updates)... but, for now after that one reboot i haven't experienced any screen issues
oh, and for clock... it dissapeared completely and now i have an empty space which is better because that half clock was useless. so yeah, if you implement tablet mode it will be perfect for me

Hmm, that's kind of worrying. Well, your issue is different from mine so maybe it's not a big deal but if these issues persist I may have to pull my builds for a while until someone with more knowledge like Entropy512 can look at my work. I don't want to cause problems if there is even a small chance of it.

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
Is the recovery that you have on this thread just the latest TWRP? also an app that works well flashing the recovery (after an hour of trying to flash the recovery img is recovery tools. here is the link, it will save alot of time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mkrtchyan.recoverytools&hl=en

Yes, it's just the latest TWRP built from source. When I started working on this at least the one for our device was not up to date, I haven't checked to see if they've posted a newer one. I imagine since Dees_Troy is an Omni developer eventually we might get an official update. I'm guessing it's just hard for him since he's managing so many devices to keep track of them all.

As I mentioned in the OP, this recovery might not work completely, so if you have issues going back to a different ROM you might need to flash a different one using Odin.

theatomizer90

Dec 21, 2012
For Netflix I just flashed the zip that was done rather than the xposed. It works just fine now.

ackmke

Apr 24, 2012
I have had zero issues so far. I flashed the standard version if the rom and pa mini gapps using cwm 6.0.4.4. Ive got no screen issues... All apps are running fine. All of my video apps are working after doing that xposed module.

No issues to report atm

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

For Netflix I just flashed the zip that was done rather than the xposed. It works just fine now.

Could you link to the zip?? Thanks in advance

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
I have had zero issues so far. I flashed the standard version if the rom and pa mini gapps using cwm 6.0.4.4. Ive got no screen issues... All apps are running fine. All of my video apps are working after doing that xposed module.

No issues to report atm

damn, and i just moved to another rom because online videos didn't worked. well, back to flashing then

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

Announcements

Discuss the official nightlies here! Also, TheMorpheus has taken over building and distributing N8000 unofficial builds, so go to his thread for more up to date builds!

Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer applies, your warranty is void, this may eat your dog or burn your house down, delete all your pictures, etc.

Instructions

0. You need a recovery that supports SELinux. I'm told that recent versions of CWM support it, but I haven't tried them myself. So if you aren't on the latest CWM (in particular, if you're on the last version of TWRP officially released for this device) you will need to flash a newer recovery. For best results, use my TWRP 2.6.3.x builds (other recoveries may not be compatible with delta updates for official nightlies).

If you want to flash my recovery, download the recovery.img and flash it using ODIN or Mobile ODIN. You can also use Recovery Tools to flash it from your device

1. Flash the ROM.

2. Flash SuperSU if you want root (it's not yet included in the ROM). I have not tried any other Superuser apps but SuperSU is supposed to be incorporated into Omni eventually. Important: you may need to install a backup script using SuperSU to persist it across flashes - see the settings in SuperSU for that.

3. Flash Kitkat/4.4 compatible Gapps (PA has some that work with this ROM).

1-3 can be queued in TWRP.

4. If coming from a different ROM wipe data/factory reset, otherwise you probably won't boot

Downloads
    TWRP 2.6.3.1 (unofficial version; the 4th digit is basically just for device specific changes). Use Flashify, Mobile Odin, or Recovery Tools to flash .img files.
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.img
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.img
    ODIN flashable tars:
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.tar.md5
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.tar.md5
    You must flash this (or other 4.4 compatible recovery) if you're on the official TWRP 2.6.3.0 or other outdated recoveries, if you get an error about set_metadata_recursive when flashing

omni-4.4.2-20140210-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip - N8000 Builds discontinued by me, see posts from TheMorpheus for updates.
    omni-4.4.2-20140302-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip

Older releases in the Downloads tab

Sources
    Device trees:

android_device_samsung_n80xx-common
    android_device_samsung_n801x
    android_device_samsung_n8000

Frameworks (I may make some device specific changes or just cherry pick things like MultiWindow)

android_frameworks_base

Thanks, and have a nice day!

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Contributors
    iofthestorm, Entropy512, espenfjo, humberos
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2013-12-01
    Last Updated 2014-03-03
    Alright, did some new builds and uploaded to XDA again. Not a whole lot has been changing on the features front, but it's been a long time since I've uploaded a build so there might be some interesting stuff. Don't remember if Quiet Hours was in before, some other stuff relating to QS tile fixes maybe. Most feature changes are at least partly in frameworks_base or Settings or OmniGears, so you can browse Gerrit if you're curious. A lot of stuff is still WIP. The screen glitch patch was merged yesterday so right now we just need to finalize the n8013->n801x rename patch and then we can get the ball rolling with nightlies. Nightlies won't have Multiwindow until it's finished though, just FYI.

omni-4.4.2-20140117-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140117-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip

Edit: Oh yeah, a bunch of exFAT stuff was merged last week, so it might be worth testing that again. I'm actually supposed to get a 64GB microSD today so I'll check that out too.
    New builds for the week. Also, some kernel stuff got merged again so hopefully nightlies are just a tiny step closer. We may try to do a thing where the n801x build sets the device name to the actual device during boot, which realistically doesn't actually matter but it's just a nice thing to do I suppose. The more useful part would be for recovery so that one recovery can support both devices and accurately identify as the correct device, but again since they're compatible it's not really effectively any different. But yeah, good to have things correct :)

omni-4.4.2-20140210-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140210-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip

Also, keyboard dock hack should be re-enabled in these builds, so keyboard dock users, get to typing, or something. I'll appreciate it if someone with the dock can give me a dmesg log. Easiest way is to download this Syslog app and save the Kernel log (might as well go for both Kernel and Main while you're at it).

I think there have been some tweaks to OmniSwitch, beyond that I'm not sure what else has happened in the past week.
    Known Issues

See bug reports at http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=1828#bugReporter

Experimental stuff
    • Multiwindow, to me, is the one of the most exciting features of OmniROM, but it is a work in progress and not completed yet. I will be doing builds with MultiWindow, but currently it does not function well yet - no bug reports on this please, but feel free to discuss it here.

Building instructions

For n801x, the repos are now on omnirom so you can just repo sync the omnirom tree and then brunch n801x. You'll need to cherry pick kernel fixes though.

For n8000, here's my local_manifests.xml

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project path="device/samsung/n8013" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8013" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="device/samsung/n8000" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8000" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="device/samsung/n80xx-common" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n80xx-common" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="vendor/samsung" name="DonkeyCoyote/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project name="codeworkx/omniscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="android-4.4">
        <copyfile dest="build.sh" src="build.sh" />
      </project>
    </manifest>
    OK, here's some new builds, now with Omniswitch. Also, for keyboard dock folks, I forgot to re-enable the keyboard dock driver, so sorry about that. I'm really busy today but maybe tomorrow I'll try and put up a build with it enabled.

omni-4.4.2-20140202-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140203-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip

(version numbers are different but the code is the same, just happened to build at different times).