• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][4.4][Unofficial] OmniROM for N8000/N8010/N8013

Search This thread

jusliloleme

May 13, 2011
Apple Valley
Ho-kay! After going through a few hoops, I managed to screw up my tablet and had to go back to square 1 (stock). That may be due to running outside into the -20 degree air to try and get my car started, to no avial, and then running very, VERY quickly back inside to warm up. Anyway, I managed to get Philz latest installed, load 0104 (after doing a clean everything) and then did the System Update to 0106. However, during the flash to 0106, Little Android Dude went belly up (red ! coming out of his reclined body just like Alien!). Some text flashed by way too quickly for my tired, old eyes to see what it said then my tablet rebooted and lo-and-behold, there was 0106. I'm sure there's some log someplace that will contain the information that I couldn't read, but I'm not sure where to go snooping to find it.

At any rate, based on usage of 0106 for less than an hour, I'm not seeing any problems. So far. Of course if I do see any problems, based on the day I've been having, it will most probably be operator error :p

I think I'm just going to sit with 0106 for a bit unless a release comes along with some major updates.

Reactions: Jiggs82

Kidromulous

Feb 1, 2011
Durham N.C.
Hmm not sure I like this build in terms of performance lots of lag for me especially when I switch apps or hit the home key. Anyone else having that issue.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

iofthestorm

Nov 1, 2010
San Diego
My 8010 told me there was an update available, downloaded it, rebooted to recovery aaaand... did absolutely nothing after that :D
Using TWRP 2.6.3.0

Ill give it another shot just now..

Update:
The second time the device booted into recovery and ran the script, but it failed and went into a reboot cycle.
I installed Philz from TWRP, rebooted into Philz and the script ran immediately without error.
This time, however, after it booted to system, I found that Gapps and su were missing. Very weird. Heres the recovery.log

Were you using my TWRP from the OP? That's weird...

The reason gapps and su weren't restored seems to be because the flash failed right before, and the error message looks like the one you used to get on recoveries that don't support SELinux properly. Hmm... maybe I should just disable the update feature since it's not so reliable, and work on fixing up TWRP so that when we actually have nightlies they can be auto updated correctly.

Kidromulous

Feb 1, 2011
Durham N.C.
Hmm, now that you mention it I'm seeing the same thing, both the home and multitasking buttons seem unresponsive for a second or two after you press them. :(

For me it's any transition and also when you press on the screen to bring up the keyboard. If it helps the build before this was smoother but before that it was a bit sluggish much like this one.

kylew1212

Dec 1, 2011
Alabama
www.memoryx2.com
Hmm, now that you mention it I'm seeing the same thing, both the home and multitasking buttons seem unresponsive for a second or two after you press them. :(

I am experiencing a slight lag as well. Its not bad, and barely even noticeable (until mentioned I didn't notice).

Also, I've found a few other random issues as well.

1. When opening stock camera app, it defaults to front camera (no big deal) however when in try to rotate to the back camera, my tablet auto reboots.
2. Screenshots work if holding down the power button then selecting screenshot, but if you hold power + volume down for the quick screen shot the device freezes.

Oh and I'm using phillz recovery, and your update server worked going from 1/4 to 1/6. I checked for updates, they downloaded then I selected flash. My tablet rebooted into recovery, installed the update, and then rebooted again to normal as expected. There were absolutely no issues, it worked perfectly!

usopjidin

Sep 10, 2012
Subang Jaya
Install fresh from Stock rom. I notice my baseband has been changed and I am unable to connect to broadband. However, 3G works fine.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app

planetf1

Jan 25, 2010
Yes I think a little lag here too. The previous builds were positively snappy, this one is merely just fine

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

I just went back to the 20130104 n8013 build and was immediately reminded how much snappier it was. Its a significant difference

Reactions: Kidromulous

planetf1

Jan 25, 2010
I've also noticed my Google contacts are not up to date. Sync is running ok, and my other device is fine (s4 stock)... I think someone else mentioned this. Perhaps more a general omnirom issue that something port specific. Its not such a big deal on my tablet anyway

Kidromulous

Feb 1, 2011
Durham N.C.
Ill just say stock touch wiz is way more responsive at this point. Flashed back up till I figure out whats the reason. Im still new to this device so I forgot how powerful the hardware actually is.

Kresh0

Jan 16, 2012
Maribor
Hello!

Firstly I would like to thank developer for doing a great thing! Thumbs up for that one.

But I have found some bugs that annoys time to time:
-Loading wallpaper after using application, or sometimes whole homescreens take 5-6 sec to respond after quiting application,
-sometimes screen image shakes for a second (drastic change since last update in a good way only occurs about once in hour),
-refreshing in storage, it takes full 5min to calculate storage data or app itself (even if its only 2mb file),
-sometimes opening app makes screen make double loop before opening,
-battery drains a lot by just typing, surfing (usually with other rooms I got atleast 7 hours just typing, now bout 4 hours), i didnt calibrate my battery maybe differend kernel?

I am using N8000. Tested s-pen and it works flawless, but I am not keen on it anyways. Otherwise apps works perfect and all, great ROM!
Sorry if some bugs are already mentioned and sry for bad english.

Cheers

wadken1

Oct 31, 2010
Hello!

Firstly I would like to thank developer for doing a great thing! Thumbs up for that one.

But I have found some bugs that annoys time to time:
-Loading wallpaper after using application, or sometimes whole homescreens take 5-6 sec to respond after quiting application,
-sometimes screen image shakes for a second (drastic change since last update in a good way only occurs about once in hour),
-refreshing in storage, it takes full 5min to calculate storage data or app itself (even if its only 2mb file),
-sometimes opening app makes screen make double loop before opening,
-battery drains a lot by just typing, surfing (usually with other rooms I got atleast 7 hours just typing, now bout 4 hours), i didnt calibrate my battery maybe differend kernel?

I am using N8000. Tested s-pen and it works flawless, but I am not keen on it anyways. Otherwise apps works perfect and all, great ROM!
Sorry if some bugs are already mentioned and sry for bad english.

Cheers

Couple of things you can check quickly for battery life. Default OMNI settings for screen brightness and CPU Governer. I usually find that the auto brightness levels are set around twice a high as they need to be, particularly at the normal room lux levels, burning a lot of extra juice. CPU Governer can often bet set to Performance - you'll generally find it's just as responsive on Pegasusq and will improve battery life. Also, I'm using the "Deadline" scheduler rather than "cfg" - can't really say if this saves any juice but it does work well - i'm not experiencing the lags that many are mentioning here.

Kresh0

Jan 16, 2012
Maribor
Hi.

Tnx for the respond. Under perfomance tab i switched to perfomance and deadline. Hope will solve some problems.
But now i found another thing, processor 2 is offline. All others are to 1400mhz. Is this normal?

Cheers

wadken1

Oct 31, 2010
Hi.

Tnx for the respond. Under perfomance tab i switched to perfomance and deadline. Hope will solve some problems.
But now i found another thing, processor 2 is offline. All others are to 1400mhz. Is this normal?

Cheers

I hope it's "Pegasusq" you've selected rather than "Performance" but Yes that's normal behaviour. Apart from scaling the operating frequency up and down to suit the current cpu load the CPU governers also use Hot Plugging to switch individual cpu cores on or off to save even more juice. Most of the time you are typing and browsing the CPU isn't actually needing to do a lot and it can cope quite easily on just 1 or 2 cores.

MoonPie2000

Jan 23, 2010
Question about OTA zip manual update...

Just loaded ROM and love it so far - Great Work! :good:

I have Philz recovery and as noted above it does not perform OTA udpate successfully. My question is... Are there any risks by doing the below process:

- After checking for and downloading OTA update but prior to pressing FLASH NOW I located the location of the downloaded zip file - /storage/emulated/legacy/OpenDelta - and moved to SD Card storage. I then booted into Philz recovery and flashed the OTA update zip file successfully.

Since I am not aware of exactly what happens when doing the OTA OpenRecovery script update I wanted to make sure I have not done anything to compromise my system integrity. Thanks for your reply. :fingers-crossed:

Kresh0

Jan 16, 2012
Maribor
One more thing, how can I setup norma HD wallpapers? Reason Im asking that is bcuzz whenever I set my background from 3rd party apps all my wallpapers are zoomed in making picture pretty much worthless unless its plain blackground you can't tell difference. If I use system background I get nice sharp picture, but 3rd party apps (zedge, HD wallpapers - ofcourse for tablets) makes pixels or if its text I get only one word of it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

Announcements

Discuss the official nightlies here! Also, TheMorpheus has taken over building and distributing N8000 unofficial builds, so go to his thread for more up to date builds!

Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer applies, your warranty is void, this may eat your dog or burn your house down, delete all your pictures, etc.

Instructions

0. You need a recovery that supports SELinux. I'm told that recent versions of CWM support it, but I haven't tried them myself. So if you aren't on the latest CWM (in particular, if you're on the last version of TWRP officially released for this device) you will need to flash a newer recovery. For best results, use my TWRP 2.6.3.x builds (other recoveries may not be compatible with delta updates for official nightlies).

If you want to flash my recovery, download the recovery.img and flash it using ODIN or Mobile ODIN. You can also use Recovery Tools to flash it from your device

1. Flash the ROM.

2. Flash SuperSU if you want root (it's not yet included in the ROM). I have not tried any other Superuser apps but SuperSU is supposed to be incorporated into Omni eventually. Important: you may need to install a backup script using SuperSU to persist it across flashes - see the settings in SuperSU for that.

3. Flash Kitkat/4.4 compatible Gapps (PA has some that work with this ROM).

1-3 can be queued in TWRP.

4. If coming from a different ROM wipe data/factory reset, otherwise you probably won't boot

Downloads
    TWRP 2.6.3.1 (unofficial version; the 4th digit is basically just for device specific changes). Use Flashify, Mobile Odin, or Recovery Tools to flash .img files.
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.img
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.img
    ODIN flashable tars:
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8000.tar.md5
    twrp-2.6.3.1-n8013.tar.md5
    You must flash this (or other 4.4 compatible recovery) if you're on the official TWRP 2.6.3.0 or other outdated recoveries, if you get an error about set_metadata_recursive when flashing

omni-4.4.2-20140210-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip - N8000 Builds discontinued by me, see posts from TheMorpheus for updates.
    omni-4.4.2-20140302-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip

Older releases in the Downloads tab

Sources
    Device trees:

android_device_samsung_n80xx-common
    android_device_samsung_n801x
    android_device_samsung_n8000

Frameworks (I may make some device specific changes or just cherry pick things like MultiWindow)

android_frameworks_base

Thanks, and have a nice day!

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Contributors
    iofthestorm, Entropy512, espenfjo, humberos
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2013-12-01
    Last Updated 2014-03-03
    Alright, did some new builds and uploaded to XDA again. Not a whole lot has been changing on the features front, but it's been a long time since I've uploaded a build so there might be some interesting stuff. Don't remember if Quiet Hours was in before, some other stuff relating to QS tile fixes maybe. Most feature changes are at least partly in frameworks_base or Settings or OmniGears, so you can browse Gerrit if you're curious. A lot of stuff is still WIP. The screen glitch patch was merged yesterday so right now we just need to finalize the n8013->n801x rename patch and then we can get the ball rolling with nightlies. Nightlies won't have Multiwindow until it's finished though, just FYI.

omni-4.4.2-20140117-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140117-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip

Edit: Oh yeah, a bunch of exFAT stuff was merged last week, so it might be worth testing that again. I'm actually supposed to get a 64GB microSD today so I'll check that out too.
    New builds for the week. Also, some kernel stuff got merged again so hopefully nightlies are just a tiny step closer. We may try to do a thing where the n801x build sets the device name to the actual device during boot, which realistically doesn't actually matter but it's just a nice thing to do I suppose. The more useful part would be for recovery so that one recovery can support both devices and accurately identify as the correct device, but again since they're compatible it's not really effectively any different. But yeah, good to have things correct :)

omni-4.4.2-20140210-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140210-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip

Also, keyboard dock hack should be re-enabled in these builds, so keyboard dock users, get to typing, or something. I'll appreciate it if someone with the dock can give me a dmesg log. Easiest way is to download this Syslog app and save the Kernel log (might as well go for both Kernel and Main while you're at it).

I think there have been some tweaks to OmniSwitch, beyond that I'm not sure what else has happened in the past week.
    Known Issues

See bug reports at http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=1828#bugReporter

Experimental stuff
    • Multiwindow, to me, is the one of the most exciting features of OmniROM, but it is a work in progress and not completed yet. I will be doing builds with MultiWindow, but currently it does not function well yet - no bug reports on this please, but feel free to discuss it here.

Building instructions

For n801x, the repos are now on omnirom so you can just repo sync the omnirom tree and then brunch n801x. You'll need to cherry pick kernel fixes though.

For n8000, here's my local_manifests.xml

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project path="device/samsung/n8013" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8013" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="device/samsung/n8000" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n8000" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="device/samsung/n80xx-common" name="ibrahima/android_device_samsung_n80xx-common" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project path="vendor/samsung" name="DonkeyCoyote/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
      <project name="codeworkx/omniscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="android-4.4">
        <copyfile dest="build.sh" src="build.sh" />
      </project>
    </manifest>
    OK, here's some new builds, now with Omniswitch. Also, for keyboard dock folks, I forgot to re-enable the keyboard dock driver, so sorry about that. I'm really busy today but maybe tomorrow I'll try and put up a build with it enabled.

omni-4.4.2-20140202-n801x-HOMEMADE.zip
    omni-4.4.2-20140203-n8000-HOMEMADE.zip

(version numbers are different but the code is the same, just happened to build at different times).