Votes: 57 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

johnSpar

Feb 5, 2016
So far so good running the latest cm-12.1-20160719-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO8DL-maguro.zip ! Some settings were lost in the dirty flash from the older version I was using, including the launcher icon settings. But the ROM is fast and good. Thanks @Ziyan!
With this version the Themes app is not working, at least for me. Do you have the same problem?

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Thread title

At the moment the thread title seems obsolete, because we are partly discussing CyanogenMod 13. Proposals:
  • Remove the version number from the thread title.
  • Change the version number in the thread title to 13.
  • Create a new thread for CyanogenMod 13 and put a link to it into the original (first) posting.

At the moment the thread title seems obsolete, because we are partly discussing CyanogenMod 13. Proposals:
  • Remove the version number from the thread title.
  • Change the version number in the thread title to 13.
  • Create a new thread for CyanogenMod 13 and put a link to it into the original (first) posting.

and what would you propose doing with this? :)

Put a link to it into the original (first) posting.

But I had proposed that already in the message you replied to.

My point was, we already have separate and independent threads for CM12.1 (most likely defunct now) and CM13 and both maintained by Ziyan, with no further changes/alterations needed

Last edited:

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Battery replacement

The 4200 mAh battery I was using lasted about six months but I quickly found a replacement on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291102032115

The market is flooded with Chinese fakes that look like original ones. They usually last half a year. When you order from places like Amazon and eBay, you are virtually guaranteed to get a fake.

My recommendation is to buy batteries from alternative labels like Anker. They are as good as original ones.

You can also order a replacement battery directly from the manufacturer of your phone, but these usually cost twice as much.

Not sure though whether you really wanted to post in this thread.

Last edited:

janstetka

Feb 18, 2015
The market is flooded with Chinese fakes that look like original ones. They usually last half a year. When you order from places like Amazon and eBay, you are virtually guaranteed to get a fake.

My recommendation is to buy batteries from alternative labels like Anker. They are as good as original ones.

You can also order a replacement battery directly from the manufacturer of your phone, but these usually cost twice as much.

Not sure though whether you really wanted to post in this thread.

Yes I did want to post in this thread. People read this thread when making modifications to their galaxy nexus and like to know where they can get batteries from. I can live with a dud battery every now and then when they cost less than 10GBP. All the more modern Nexus phones have a none replaceable battery) I can't see a galaxy nexus battery on the Anker website and no evidence they do a 4200mAh (lasts longer) so maybe research your answers before you start criticizing others which are formed from experience. People who root and modify phones aren't going to be put off this. When I took apart the faulty one it said S. Korea NOT China.

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Battery replacement

Yes I did want to post in this thread. People read this thread when making modifications to their galaxy nexus and like to know where they can get batteries from. I can live with a dud battery every now and then when they cost less than 10GBP. All the more modern Nexus phones have a none replaceable battery) I can't see a galaxy nexus battery on the Anker website and no evidence they do a 4200mAh (lasts longer) so maybe research your answers before you start criticizing others which are formed from experience. People who root and modify phones aren't going to be put off this. When I took apart the faulty one it said S. Korea NOT China.

Oops, did I criticize anyone? Not aware.

I also was not sure whether you were talking about a battery for the Galaxy Nexus, as these have less than 2 Ah capacity, never mind 4.2. I now understand that you were talking about a larger battery, supposedly along with a modified back cover.

Often you could guess from the S. Korea label that the battery is genuine, but this has been known for so long that I would be surprised if the Chinese fakers are not already aware of it and now print S. Korea on their fakes. But I don't know.

I had an Anker battery in a Galaxy Nexus with very good success, but perhaps they have stopped making them, as demand is dying off.

johnSpar

Feb 5, 2016
Wow! I have just seen that CM 13 is available for our phone! :) Can I update directly from cm-12.1-20160719-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO8DL-maguro.zip to the latest CM 13 nightly? Or some apps will stop working? What steps should I follow?

When I install the latest CM 12.1 builds I boot into recovery mode, wipe dalvik cache and cache and then install the CM 12.1 build that I have placed in the folder "cmupdater". Is this the procedure to update to CM 13?

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Wow! I have just seen that CM 13 is available for our phone! :) Can I update directly from cm-12.1-20160719-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO8DL-maguro.zip to the latest CM 13 nightly? Or some apps will stop working? What steps should I follow?

When I install the latest CM 12.1 builds I boot into recovery mode, wipe dalvik cache and cache and then install the CM 12.1 build that I have placed in the folder "cmupdater". Is this the procedure to update to CM 13?

No, don't! The working procedure is the same, but with an additional, crucial one-time step. After flashing cm-13 for the first time, do not reboot, but immediately flash OpenGapps ARM, Android 6, pico. Only then reboot. Nano does not fit.

If you do not wipe data, your apps and settings should survive.

You can wipe system before flashing, but it does not seem to make any difference.

johnSpar

Feb 5, 2016
No, don't! The working procedure is the same, but with an additional, crucial one-time step. After flashing cm-13 for the first time, do not reboot, but immediately flash OpenGapps ARM, Android 6, pico. Only then reboot. Nano does not fit.

If you do not wipe data, your apps and settings should survive.

You can wipe system before flashing, but it does not seem to make any difference.

Oh... I almost forgot the Open GAPPS! And there is no problem if I install the pico variant with CM 13 having currently installed in CM 12.1 the nano set?

And one more question, if I want to perform a clean install, does the Wipe Data setting of TRWP delete the contents of the "cmupdater" folder where I put the CM 13 build and GAPPS zips?

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Updating from CyanogenMod 12.1 to 13 while keeping data (dirty flash)

Oh... I almost forgot the Open GAPPS! And there is no problem if I install the pico variant with CM 13 having currently installed in CM 12.1 the nano set?

You have no other choice, as nano no longer fits (until partition sizes are changed, which has been discussed here already).

I believe the old Gapps are removed when the new ones are installed, but to play it safe you could wipe system before flashing. TWRP does this cleanly.

I believe I once wiped system using the latest Cyanogen recovery and that did a complete factory reset. Happened to me twice on different Galaxy Nexus phones. I am still not entirely sure what caused it. To play it safe again you could copy all your files and folders, including TitaniumBackup, to a computer, so you cannot lose anything.

And one more question, if I want to perform a clean install, does the Wipe Data setting of TRWP delete the contents of the "cmupdater" folder where I put the CM 13 build and GAPPS zips?

No, wipe data wipes all apps and their data and settings, but not the internal memory. Still it cannot hurt to back up everything to a computer. Do not back up the "Android" and "storage" folders. They are special, they can cause problems, and they do not need to be restored.

spoutinwyze

Sep 28, 2012
shame i typed a reply then logged in and lost my reply text..
heres a short version..

I installed 12.1 update via nightly and device sucks battery life in 15 mins. Also, and more importantly my browser and google play store stopped working and went missing from the device.
Now, i do have an extra battery that i charge externally since the USB port doesnt properly connect to charge or connect to pc. Luckily I had already downloaded an APK installer and Airmore.
I copied over a gapps nano for android 5.1 but get error "insufficient space" when trying to install via the bootloader/recovery mode, which is odd since there is 6GB available space (no SD card slot available). So i'm going to try the pico version once my battery recharges in 8 hours. I suspect I will get the same error however.
Due to this new reliability issue I had to go out and buy a new phone. 8-( after using my galaxy nexus for 6 years I was sad to have to replace it,and it still did everything i needed it to do and more prior to my upgrade of CM12.1 ( i was on CM11).
It doesn't appear that theres a viable rollback option (especially without the ability to side/load from my pc). If I could go back in time it would be "dont upgrade! its working fne now, keep it that way", and ignore the voice in my head saying "what if this build resolves some of the other bugs that have been annoying me?"
It's not worth it in my opinion unless you are willing to buy a new phone if things go wrong, but this was a risk I knew form day one when i rooted and modded the device.
Thank you for the past several years of extended usability on my device and any help to restore functionality would still be greatly appreciated, even if it is only going to be for a lavatory reading /surfing device.

bamtan2

Mar 15, 2012
heres a short version..

I'm sorry you had to write all that again ;(

Google play store is flashed to the /system partition after flashing a ROM. Normally after an upgrade the google apps are supposed to be kept, but I guess something went wrong. I don't know.

/system is only large enough to hold the VERY SMALLEST google apps package.

I think you will get everything in order :) I myself sometimes "fix what's not broken" and make more work for myself than I'd like ;)

spoutinwyze

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for replying. You were right. Pico gapps installed without issue. Battery still drains in 15 minstrel. Will see if maybe background processes are causing this. The boot feels like eternity now and heats the cpu.

mortillo

Jun 1, 2012
heres a short version..

I installed 12.1 update via nightly and device sucks battery life in 15 mins. Also, and more importantly my browser and google play store stopped working and went missing from the device.
Now, i do have an extra battery that i charge externally since the USB port doesnt properly connect to charge or connect to pc. Luckily I had already downloaded an APK installer and Airmore.
I copied over a gapps nano for android 5.1 but get error "insufficient space" when trying to install via the bootloader/recovery mode, which is odd since there is 6GB available space (no SD card slot available). So i'm going to try the pico version once my battery recharges in 8 hours. I suspect I will get the same error however.
Due to this new reliability issue I had to go out and buy a new phone. 8-( after using my galaxy nexus for 6 years I was sad to have to replace it,and it still did everything i needed it to do and more prior to my upgrade of CM12.1 ( i was on CM11).
It doesn't appear that theres a viable rollback option (especially without the ability to side/load from my pc). If I could go back in time it would be "dont upgrade! its working fne now, keep it that way", and ignore the voice in my head saying "what if this build resolves some of the other bugs that have been annoying me?"
It's not worth it in my opinion unless you are willing to buy a new phone if things go wrong, but this was a risk I knew form day one when i rooted and modded the device.
Thank you for the past several years of extended usability on my device and any help to restore functionality would still be greatly appreciated, even if it is only going to be for a lavatory reading /surfing device.

Hello, i did the same thing, OTA update and now i have a BIG battery drain. Wiped cache and data and I still have battery drain. What else can i do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cyanogenmod-10-banner-600.jpg

For instructions about installing or building for maguro, see the CyanogenMod wiki page.

The latest builds are available at http://get.cm/?device=maguro.

Known Issues page for the Galaxy Nexus (GSM) (not updated yet)

Google Apps can be found at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps - beware that if you choose OpenGApps, only the pico version will fit, unless you change your partition sizes!

Want to support development? You can consider donating, I spent countless of hours with this :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 12.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    Ziyan, MWisBest, Everyone else who helped me: AOSP, Hashcode, ...
    Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2014-12-01
    Last Updated 2016-07-20
    After countless unofficial builds and hours spent with this, I am happy to announce that maguro is now considered stable enough to get official CM12.1 nightlies :) moving on to CM13 after I find some time, which will hopefully become a nightly soon as well, since the hard part of the work is now done ;) updated the OP accordingly (the builds in the downloads section will stay up for a couple days, just in case there's a problem we need to compare with an older build).
    Sorry for not being active lately guys, I was busy, as my new semester just started :( but don't worry, I didn't forget my plans for this, I'll release a new build soon :)
    New build up. Changes:
    - reclaimed ~6 megabytes of userspace RAM
    - enabled video stabilization, exposure and whitebalance lock in the camera HAL (our ducati supports these, but it's not advertising it! what a *****...)
    - disabled dex2oat watchdog (this should make the optimizing apps dialog on every boot disappear, and hopefully fixes installing large apps)
    - synced with CM repos (01/01)

I also switched back the default I/O scheduler to BFQ - I hope that the lockups some of you experienced were caused by an older CM bug (they made some BFQ-related platform changes).
    If anyone encounters another one, and wants to switch back, simply change sys.io.scheduler to cfq in /system/build.prop. Alternatively, use your favorite kernel settings app to change to CFQ on boot (but I'd recommend changing build.prop instead - I think Kernel Adiutor has a nice interface for editing it). And remember: if it locks up again, no need to remove the battery: just hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds, and the device will turn itself off.

will 13 come :fingers-crossed:
    As soon as I'm satisfied with the results (currently, I'm not - looking at you, memory management).

The folks over at the S3 camp are enjoying a nearly bugfree CM13 with 3.0 kernel. Funny if you look back at codewokx swearing while getting CM9 to work (camera was a pain).
    Facts:
    - they received official KitKat update with proper drivers and stuff, tuna only got 4.3 (Samsung updated their EGL blobs for KitKat, meaning they didn't have to port over to a new kernel like we did, and didn't have to switch to a newer camera and domx hal)
    - there's at least 10 people actively maintaining it over CM
    - their user and developer community is at least 10x bigger

I can't express how hard and time-consuming it is to maintain tuna with only two active developers :(
    Just a heads up, the flashlight toggle has been fixed, but CM's ffmpeg **** broke the domx, so video playback is now gone, I already have the fix composed in my mind (lol), just need to test it... my finals are here, so I'm pretty busy now, but I'll try to fix and upload a new build in the next few days :)