[ROM][6 May] McByte jkSGS3-B8 [4.1.2 XXEMD2 | ODEX | Aroma | Stock Experience]

Search This thread

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
McByte jkSGS3 ROM

With JKay's decision to stop developing his JKay framework, I will stop also developing my ROM, knowing that my main reason to do it was to have JKay included automatically, those of you who still want a stock ROM, can still use Android Revolution HD, more or less same features but deodexed. I will move very soon to CyanogenMod 10.1. Thanks...

After being an Android user and XDA consumer for many years, I am releasing my first custom ROM: jkSGS3. This ROM is based on the latest stock Samsung ROMs, with many of the tweaks and mods available on Android Revolution HD ROM (I did this ROM during the time waiting for mike1986. to release an update for 17.1, so I used his base as a start and added some tweaks and mods from me, all the credit for the original tweaks goes to him).

As many other ROMs, I cooked this ROM for personal use, then decided to release it (That's why the version number started with B2, B1 was never released). So the apps that are removed (bloatware), those added, the extra mods, are all things that I like to use on my device.

ROM Information:

(BOLD are things updated since the last release)
  • Based on the latest Samsung XXEMD2 4.1.2
  • Aroma installer
  • Aroma settings are automatically checked according to latest install
  • Added support for addon.d installer feature (check note 5 below)
  • 100% Stock experience (note1)
  • Latest Samsung Modem (EMC2)
  • ODEXed ROM, same as stock, (note2)
  • JKay Framework 14.94, optionally installable via Aroma (note3), and optionally with the AOSP theme
  • Rooted with SuperSU v1.25
  • Put back MultiWindow Complete Control (Credit to criscan)
  • Updated system apps
  • Ad blocking (hosts file from ROM Toolbox)
  • Cleanup script during installation to remove duplicate apk in /data/app (Credit for mike1986 & ARHD ROM)

NOTE:
This build is not compatible with the previous jkSGS3 B6 (EMR2 based ROM), if you were already using B6 then you must wipe user data before installing this ROM.

Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-25-02.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-27-44.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-26-55.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-29-09-57-26.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-27-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-28-25.jpg

Removed Bloatware:
These System apps (bloatware) were removed from the main ROM, but they are all available as an Extra package, which uses Aroma to select groups of these apps to install.

Code:
AllShareCastWidget 
AllSharePlay
AnalogClockSimple (Clock widget)
AnalogClockUnique (Clock widget)
ChatON
ChocoEUKor (UI Font)
DeepSea (Live wallpaper)
DialerWidget
DigitalClock (Clock widget)
DigitalClock21 (Clock widget)
DropboxOOBE (Dropbox dialog on first boot)
DualClockAnalog (Clock widget)
DualClockDigital (Clock widget)
DualClockDigital42 (Clock widget)
FotaClient
FWUpgrade
GameHub_2.0_ICS (Samsung GameHub)
HelvNeueLT (UI Font)
Kies + Kies via Wifi
LuminousDots (Live wallpaper)
MobilePrint
MoreServices
MusicHub
NoiseField (Live wallpaper)
PaperArtist
PhaseBeam (Live wallpaper)
PhotoWall (Live wallpaper)
PolarisViewer
RCSe (Joyn app)
RoseEUKor (UI Font)
SamsungApps
SamsungAppsUNA3
SamsungWidget_FavoriteApp
sCloudBackupApp (All the sCloud thing is the Sync with Samsung feature, which I don't use)
sCloudBackupProvider
sCloudDataRelay
sCloudDataSync
sCloudSyncBrowser
sCloudSyncCalendar
sCloudSyncContacts
sCloudSyncSMemo
MyFiles (Samsung file manager)
SimpleAlarmClock
SimpleFavoritesWidget
SMemo
SMemoProvider
SPlannerAppWidget
SSuggest
TopicWall (Live wallpaper)
YahoonewsDaemon
YahoonewsWidget
YahoostockDaemon
YahoostockWidget

Other installed apps:
  • Amazon Appstore (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app (note4))
  • AndroidPut Appstore (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app (note4))
  • Cerberus app (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app)
  • ES File Manager 3(Installed by default as user app, uninstallable)
  • DropBox (Installed by default as system app)
  • Google+ (Optional via Aroma, system app)
  • Google Calendar (Optional via Aroma, system app)
  • Google Music (Optional via Aroma, system app)
  • Google Keep (Optional via Aroma, system app)

Other Mods & Aroma options:

Kernels:

Download:
Check Post #2

Changelog:
Check Post #3

Stability & Known issues:

• I don't define my ROM as Rock Stable and Super fast, simply because I always use brand new ROM bases from Samsung, which can't be categorized as Rock Stable after 1 day of use, and about speed, I apply some tweaks users of XDA report that make a ROM run faster, and I am happy with my ROM, it might be Super Fast and Rock Stable, and it might not.... your decision....

Notes:
  • Note 1: If you don't install extra apps, and choose NOT to install JKay, then you end up with Stock Samsung experience, will less bloatware than stock.
  • Note 2: ODEX, Optimized Dex, as the name says is better for speed and RAM than deodexed, that's why I made it so.
  • Note 3: JKay Framework needs JKay Deluxe Settings app from the Play Store to set all the settings (paid app, $2.49)
  • Note 4: when Amazon App Store is installed as system app, it will not show install confirmation dialog.
  • Note 5: addon.d: On some ROMs, like Cyanogenmod, there are scripts in /system/addon.d that run during a ROM update or flash. They can backup and restore system apps (like Gapps), or perform many other functions.

Credits:
Credits go to everybody who made a contribution, all what I did was to use what others wrote/made/discovered to make this ROM possible, the list will be long, but EVERYBODY should takes the credit for their own work.
Main contributers are: Samsung, XDA, ChainFire, amarullz, _JKay_, mike1986., AndreiLux, gokhanmoral, criscan, ... [If i forgot somebody, it's because I can't remember their name, but many devs are behind this great forum)

Last edited:

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
Download B8:
McByte jkSGS3 B8.0 (715MB) [md5: 1f96ac551e6da3daba614146a1450d14]

McByte jkSGS3 B8.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: 0ee2478ac4c7f4ece26151f03bf4b34a]

Older Downloads:

Download B7:
McByte jkSGS3 B7.0 (680MB) [md5: e0559ce68a8fa221e1cdc7be2d4d4ebe]
  • AndroidFileHost
  • NOTE: highly recommended to wipe data when using this build, especially if coming from B6 (which is a MUST) !!

McByte jkSGS3 B7.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: e3995fb32b71cf807bfc323fba039798]

Download B6:
McByte jkSGS3 B6.0 (676MB) [md5: d439446464cb45eefb61b313875f9507]

McByte jkSGS3 B6.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: 4702afea4c22d5bd46cc5189d808c231]

Download B5:
McByte jkSGS3 B5.0 (695MB) [md5: f873a2c9a7b5d6b1846efe4f29df1631]

McByte jkSGS3 B5.0 Extra Apps (125 MB) [md5: 43b3e1be3d49d3ef563bb8b5a7f9a1b5]

Download B4:

McByte jkSGS3 B4 (695MB) [md5: 61af80504564b8c4af8eeee69b13be70]

McByte jkSGS3 B4 Extra Apps (123 MB) [md5: 0f6c062b4659e806e5e46e2b833424e5]

Download B3:

McByte jkSGS3 B3 (740MB) [md5: ba830b0561442ff37c36a80129252630]

McByte jkSGS3 B3 Extra Apps (115 MB) [md5: 2035c5d6f86e2388e79ffecbc32eb2ae]

(Users are welcome to mirror.)

Updates for B3.0:

Download B2:

McByte jkSGS3 B2 (740MB) [md5: fef3e8c13d26b0ae91b889b36c37ff4b]

McByte jkSGS3 Extra Apps (115 MB) [md5: 1260ab4024e9b4f3d09bf02b83292e16]

Updates:

Last edited:

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
Changelog:
Code:
B8.0 (06/05/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXEMD2)
- New option to install JKay with AOSP and S4 themes
- Updated Perseus kernel to version 36.1
- Updated Siyah kernel to version 1.9.1
- Added Shark A-15.3 kernel
- Updated all system apps to latest versions
- Added Google Keep to Aroma
- updated sysro/sysrw commands to show result after executing
- nano editor is working out-of-the-box for those who like to connect with ssh terminal to their devices

B7.0 (18/03/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXEMB5)
- [B]Aroma settings are automatically checked according to latest install[/B]
- [B]Added support for addon.d installer feature (check notes below)[/B]
- New option to install JKay with AOSP theme
- Put back [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2060050"]MultiWindow Complete Control[/URL] (Credit to criscan)
- Updated SuperSU (root) to official v1.25
- Updated Perseus kernel to version 33.3 [26/02]
- Updated all system apps to latest versions
- Google Apps installed with aroma are now in system partition
- Cleanup script during installation to remove duplicate apk in /data/app (Credit for mike1986 & ARHD ROM)

B6.0 (13/02/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXEMR2)
- Updated SuperSU (root) to official v1.04
- Updated Perseus kernel to version 32.1 [30/01]
- Updated Google+ to v3.5.1.42060433
- Updated Dropbox to v2.3.1
- Moved PaperArtist to Extra package
- Added Nano editor

B5.0 (29/01/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXEMA2)
- Updated SuperSU (root) to official v1.00

B4.0 (28/01/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXEMA1)
- Latest Stock Samsung Kernel with init.d support (Fixes Exynos bug & sudden death)
- Updated Siyah Kernel to 1.8.9 (with latest Samsung Kernel Update 7 patches)

B3.0 (12/01/2013)
- Updated to new base (XXELLC)
- Latest Stock Samsung Kernel with init.d support (Fixes Exynos bug & sudden death)
- Updated Perseus Kernel to 31.2 (Perseus kernels with latest samsung patches)
- [URL="http://cleanimport.xda/index.php?posts/36333033/"]Updates to init.d scripts[/URL] (ZipAlign and the optional SQLite Vaccum now runs once a week)
- [URL="http://cleanimport.xda/index.php?posts/36396705/"]Optional Statistics reporting on ROM usage[/URL]

B2.1 (06/01/2013):
- Fixed stock Samsung kernel, update only if you want to use stock Samsung Kernel, not needed for Perseus or Siyah.

B2 (03/01/2013):
- Based on latest XXELLA
- JKay 14.7
- MultiWindow Complete Control
- Extra apps in a separate ZIP (with Aroma installer)

B1:
- first self release, based on XXELL5
- JKay 14.6

Last edited:

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
FAQ

Why Odex?
XDA-University said:
Odex stands for “Optimized Dalvik Executable” file. The Android system utilizes compressed data stored in the .apk file at runtime. To speed up this process, the most critical elements of application will be placed uncompressed in an .odex file, thus enabling the Android OS to quickly interpret that important information before it continues to parse the rest of the application. Stock ROMs will come from the manufacturer as “odexed”, meaning that the application(s) will have a .apk file and an .odex file, i.e. Calendar.apk and Calendar.odex.

What do you mean by "Aroma settings are automatically checked"?
Since version B7, the Aroma installer will detect settings used during the last setup and automatically re-select the settings, to make the installation processes easier. For example, if the last installation the user selected to install JKay and OpenVPN, starting the installation another time, or when updating to a new build, the user will find the settings already selected

Why is Amazon Appstore installed as system apps?
When the Amazon Appstore is installed as a system application, the installation and updates of apps through it are all done seamlessly to the user, without alerting to install or update as if the app was from external sources. this is because android limits the INSTALL_PACKAGES permission only to system apps

Last edited:

Pard0ned

Oct 14, 2010
Belfast
I'm glad to see an odexed rom being released.

Does this have the stock grey status bar?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
I'm glad to see an odexed rom being released.

Does this have the stock grey status bar?

If you select the correct options in Aroma (which are not to install JKay, or any other MOD), you end up with stock experience, 100% Samsung ELLA rom but without some of the bloatware.

Pard0ned

Oct 14, 2010
Belfast
I see you mentioned the sqlite tweak. Did you get the corrected version posted by the guy in arhd thread? I hope Mike has seen he fix too. :rolleyes::eek:

amosljl1995

Jul 13, 2012
Cool man. Will try it soon. Must we buy deluxe settings to use jkay mod?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
Update ELLA-B2.1:

NOTE: Install only if you want to use stock Samsung Kernel, otherwise just remain with old B2.0

pulsation

Sep 20, 2008
Greetings,

Just flashed moments ago, your rom runs really nicely using latest Perseus kernel :) thanks for your work.

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
Just Released version B3
B3.0 (12/01/2013)
- Updates to init.d scripts (ZipAlign and the optional SQLite Vaccum now runs once a week)
- Optional Statistics reporting on ROM usage

Download links in Post #2, currently only torrents hosted by XDA torrents

Last edited:

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
in your rom...is not necessary use repacked kernel?? true?

If the kernel you want to use supports by default the init.d feature, then no need for repacked kernels.

This is the case for siyah and perseus.

While if you want to use the stock Samsung kernel, you MUST use the one I provide with the ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    McByte jkSGS3 ROM

With JKay's decision to stop developing his JKay framework, I will stop also developing my ROM, knowing that my main reason to do it was to have JKay included automatically, those of you who still want a stock ROM, can still use Android Revolution HD, more or less same features but deodexed. I will move very soon to CyanogenMod 10.1. Thanks...

After being an Android user and XDA consumer for many years, I am releasing my first custom ROM: jkSGS3. This ROM is based on the latest stock Samsung ROMs, with many of the tweaks and mods available on Android Revolution HD ROM (I did this ROM during the time waiting for mike1986. to release an update for 17.1, so I used his base as a start and added some tweaks and mods from me, all the credit for the original tweaks goes to him).

As many other ROMs, I cooked this ROM for personal use, then decided to release it (That's why the version number started with B2, B1 was never released). So the apps that are removed (bloatware), those added, the extra mods, are all things that I like to use on my device.

ROM Information:

(BOLD are things updated since the last release)
    • Based on the latest Samsung XXEMD2 4.1.2
    • Aroma installer
    • Aroma settings are automatically checked according to latest install
    • Added support for addon.d installer feature (check note 5 below)
    • 100% Stock experience (note1)
    • Latest Samsung Modem (EMC2)
    • ODEXed ROM, same as stock, (note2)
    • JKay Framework 14.94, optionally installable via Aroma (note3), and optionally with the AOSP theme
    • Rooted with SuperSU v1.25
    • Put back MultiWindow Complete Control (Credit to criscan)
    • Updated system apps
    • Ad blocking (hosts file from ROM Toolbox)
    • Cleanup script during installation to remove duplicate apk in /data/app (Credit for mike1986 & ARHD ROM)

NOTE:
    This build is not compatible with the previous jkSGS3 B6 (EMR2 based ROM), if you were already using B6 then you must wipe user data before installing this ROM.

Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-25-02.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-27-44.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-26-55.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-29-09-57-26.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-27-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-28-25.jpg

Removed Bloatware:
    These System apps (bloatware) were removed from the main ROM, but they are all available as an Extra package, which uses Aroma to select groups of these apps to install.

Code:
    AllShareCastWidget 
    AllSharePlay
    AnalogClockSimple (Clock widget)
    AnalogClockUnique (Clock widget)
    ChatON
    ChocoEUKor (UI Font)
    DeepSea (Live wallpaper)
    DialerWidget
    DigitalClock (Clock widget)
    DigitalClock21 (Clock widget)
    DropboxOOBE (Dropbox dialog on first boot)
    DualClockAnalog (Clock widget)
    DualClockDigital (Clock widget)
    DualClockDigital42 (Clock widget)
    FotaClient
    FWUpgrade
    GameHub_2.0_ICS (Samsung GameHub)
    HelvNeueLT (UI Font)
    Kies + Kies via Wifi
    LuminousDots (Live wallpaper)
    MobilePrint
    MoreServices
    MusicHub
    NoiseField (Live wallpaper)
    PaperArtist
    PhaseBeam (Live wallpaper)
    PhotoWall (Live wallpaper)
    PolarisViewer
    RCSe (Joyn app)
    RoseEUKor (UI Font)
    SamsungApps
    SamsungAppsUNA3
    SamsungWidget_FavoriteApp
    sCloudBackupApp (All the sCloud thing is the Sync with Samsung feature, which I don't use)
    sCloudBackupProvider
    sCloudDataRelay
    sCloudDataSync
    sCloudSyncBrowser
    sCloudSyncCalendar
    sCloudSyncContacts
    sCloudSyncSMemo
    MyFiles (Samsung file manager)
    SimpleAlarmClock
    SimpleFavoritesWidget
    SMemo
    SMemoProvider
    SPlannerAppWidget
    SSuggest
    TopicWall (Live wallpaper)
    YahoonewsDaemon
    YahoonewsWidget
    YahoostockDaemon
    YahoostockWidget

Other installed apps:
    • Amazon Appstore (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app (note4))
    • AndroidPut Appstore (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app (note4))
    • Cerberus app (Optional via Aroma, installed as system app)
    • ES File Manager 3(Installed by default as user app, uninstallable)
    • DropBox (Installed by default as system app)
    • Google+ (Optional via Aroma, system app)
    • Google Calendar (Optional via Aroma, system app)
    • Google Music (Optional via Aroma, system app)
    • Google Keep (Optional via Aroma, system app)

Other Mods & Aroma options:

Kernels:

Download:
    Check Post #2

Changelog:
    Check Post #3

Stability & Known issues:

• I don't define my ROM as Rock Stable and Super fast, simply because I always use brand new ROM bases from Samsung, which can't be categorized as Rock Stable after 1 day of use, and about speed, I apply some tweaks users of XDA report that make a ROM run faster, and I am happy with my ROM, it might be Super Fast and Rock Stable, and it might not.... your decision....

Notes:
    • Note 1: If you don't install extra apps, and choose NOT to install JKay, then you end up with Stock Samsung experience, will less bloatware than stock.
    • Note 2: ODEX, Optimized Dex, as the name says is better for speed and RAM than deodexed, that's why I made it so.
    • Note 3: JKay Framework needs JKay Deluxe Settings app from the Play Store to set all the settings (paid app, $2.49)
    • Note 4: when Amazon App Store is installed as system app, it will not show install confirmation dialog.
    • Note 5: addon.d: On some ROMs, like Cyanogenmod, there are scripts in /system/addon.d that run during a ROM update or flash. They can backup and restore system apps (like Gapps), or perform many other functions.

Credits:
    Credits go to everybody who made a contribution, all what I did was to use what others wrote/made/discovered to make this ROM possible, the list will be long, but EVERYBODY should takes the credit for their own work.
    Main contributers are: Samsung, XDA, ChainFire, amarullz, _JKay_, mike1986., AndreiLux, gokhanmoral, criscan, ... [If i forgot somebody, it's because I can't remember their name, but many devs are behind this great forum)
    New version B6

Just released B6
    Code:
    Change log: 
    - Updated to new base (XXEMR2)
    - Updated SuperSU (root) to official v1.04
    - Updated Perseus kernel to version 32.1 [30/01]
    - Updated Google+ to v3.5.1.42060433
    - Updated Dropbox to v2.3.1
    - Moved PaperArtist to Extra package (Will upload later)

Download link for main ROM is on Post #2
    Just Released version B3
    B3.0 (12/01/2013)
    - Updates to init.d scripts (ZipAlign and the optional SQLite Vaccum now runs once a week)
    - Optional Statistics reporting on ROM usage

Download links in Post #2, currently only torrents hosted by XDA torrents
    Download B8:
    McByte jkSGS3 B8.0 (715MB) [md5: 1f96ac551e6da3daba614146a1450d14]

McByte jkSGS3 B8.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: 0ee2478ac4c7f4ece26151f03bf4b34a]

Older Downloads:

Download B7:
    McByte jkSGS3 B7.0 (680MB) [md5: e0559ce68a8fa221e1cdc7be2d4d4ebe]
    • AndroidFileHost
    • NOTE: highly recommended to wipe data when using this build, especially if coming from B6 (which is a MUST) !!

McByte jkSGS3 B7.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: e3995fb32b71cf807bfc323fba039798]

Download B6:
    McByte jkSGS3 B6.0 (676MB) [md5: d439446464cb45eefb61b313875f9507]

McByte jkSGS3 B6.0 Extra Apps (129 MB) [md5: 4702afea4c22d5bd46cc5189d808c231]

Download B5:
    McByte jkSGS3 B5.0 (695MB) [md5: f873a2c9a7b5d6b1846efe4f29df1631]

McByte jkSGS3 B5.0 Extra Apps (125 MB) [md5: 43b3e1be3d49d3ef563bb8b5a7f9a1b5]

Download B4:

McByte jkSGS3 B4 (695MB) [md5: 61af80504564b8c4af8eeee69b13be70]

McByte jkSGS3 B4 Extra Apps (123 MB) [md5: 0f6c062b4659e806e5e46e2b833424e5]

Download B3:

McByte jkSGS3 B3 (740MB) [md5: ba830b0561442ff37c36a80129252630]

McByte jkSGS3 B3 Extra Apps (115 MB) [md5: 2035c5d6f86e2388e79ffecbc32eb2ae]

Updates for B3.0:

Download B2:

McByte jkSGS3 B2 (740MB) [md5: fef3e8c13d26b0ae91b889b36c37ff4b]

McByte jkSGS3 Extra Apps (115 MB) [md5: 1260ab4024e9b4f3d09bf02b83292e16]

Updates:

Added mirrors on DropBox and GoogleDrive