[ROM][7.1.2][KLTE] Optimized LineageOMS 14.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S5

What LOS ROM would you want to have optimized next?

• LOS 15.1(Oreo)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • LOS 16.0(Pie)

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Neither; keep working on this ROM

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

haoyangw

LineageOS 14.1 with full Substratum support and -O3 optimizations
Code:​
Code:
*** Disclamer
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */
Why another Nougat ROM? And in 2019?
Because this project has different goals, and hence naturally it is different from other Nougat ROMs! Here are its goals:
-Optimizations! I will try to include optimizations on both ROM and kernel side that most current ROMs don't use. That does mean possibly more bugs!
-Full Substratum support on LOS! Because I like LOS for its stability and simplicity, but I also miss Substratum
-Frequent security updates! I will aim to release at least one update every month containing the latest security patch and kernel fixes from LOS upstream, and whenever major security vulnerabilities occur

Features​
-Built with latest Linaro toolchain GCC 7.4.1 snapshot and SDClang 6.0.9
-O3 GCC optimizations applied on ROM, O2 on Kernel
-Graphite optimizations applied on ROM
-Substratum/OMS commits fully merged from LineageOMS, including rootless mode
-Latest monthly security patches(Aug 2019)
-SELinux in Enforcing Mode​

Upcoming features​

-September security patch
-Random drivers backported from Linux mainline(credits to @arter97 for the idea)
-vnswap(on a separate kernel)
-F2FS backport from Linux mainline
-Microimprovements in kernel logic​

Bugs​
-You tell me​

Downloads​
Optimized LOS 14.1 builds​

OpenGapps​

How to install​
1. In TWRP, select Wipe, and choose Data, Cache and System
2. Install ROM zip
3. Install Gapps zip(optional)
4. Install any mods(optional)​

Credits
@haggertk
@lineageos
@google
@caf
UberROMs
@arter97

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOMS 14.1 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5

Contributors
@haggertk
haoyangw
@pascua28
Source Code: [url]https://github.com/haoyangw/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974[/URL]

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: LineageOS, AOSP

Version Information
Stable Release Date: 2019-06-24

Created 2019-06-24
Last Updated 2019-08-29

Last edited:

haoyangw

Changelog
-First build
-Compiled using Uber GCC 4.9
-Compiled ROM with -O3 optimizations
-Merged proper OMS/Substratum support, including rootless mode

-Compiled using latest Linaro GCC 7.4 snapshot
-SDClang 6.0.2 enabled
-Kernel compiled using -O2 instead of -O3 for stability. Based on my testing and benchmark results online, the difference is negligible

-Update to latest security patch(Aug 5 2019)
-Fix several warnings thrown by GCC 7.4
-Sync LOS and AOSP upstream changes since June(through repo sync)

Last edited:

cbr69er

Sep 24, 2011
Couldnt get this baby going. Froze during install on twrp 3.3.0. Tried twice with gapps, didnt try without. Came from pie on first install so cleaned house, next one followed instructions to the letter and same result. Anyone else? Can someone try without gapps?

haoyangw

Thanks for the build. Just asking, but if you don't mind, can you also build an optimized pie rom? Cause there are no other roms with compiler optimizations. Here's another tool chain to play with https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/snapdragon-llvm-compiler-android
Oh sure, I'll work on it when I find time! But I'll prioritise this nougat ROM cos this is my daily driver haha xD And interesting suggestion about the compiler, I was trying to figure out how to use it(enable it) in the android build system lol but I got carried away. On my to-do list! Both of them! Thanks :) Especially for your wonderful kernel, was looking through your commit history for some cherry-picking but there were so so many good ones! XD

haoyangw

Hmm I can't seem to find arm binaries for it lol, but I'll try to compile using snapdragon llvm 6 next build! Thanks :)
EDIT: Also on my todo list is building using gcc 7/8! I'm still deciding between using (slightly) outdated uber toolchain builds or the latest linaro android toolchain xP and whether to use gcc 8, I'll compile and try if I face too many (unfixable) compilation errors I'll use gcc 7 instead! Heard there are many optimizations compared to (really old) 4.9, especially with -o3 and graphite :)

Last edited:

haoyangw

Heads up! Successfully incorporated random driver from linux 4.12 mainline(yay) and vnswap! Compiled successfully and after some preliminary testing all is well :D will commit the changes neatly and push to my github then upload a kernel zip :) not sure if it's the new driver + vnswap or the -O3 flags, but ROM feels noticeably smoother hmm(or maybe because I tested on a clean flash 2ith no apps installed lol, vs my personal 80+ apps D: )

haoyangw

Couldnt get this baby going. Froze during install on twrp 3.3.0. Tried twice with gapps, didnt try without. Came from pie on first install so cleaned house, next one followed instructions to the letter and same result. Anyone else? Can someone try without gapps?
What device do you have? I only built for the klte for now sorry, so if you have kltekor or klteduos etc, you might face issues :( hmm also I think I'm still on twrp 3.2.0(oops), I'll update my twrp and test out myself too

cbr69er

Sep 24, 2011
What device do you have? I only built for the klte for now sorry, so if you have kltekor or klteduos etc, you might face issues :( hmm also I think I'm still on twrp 3.2.0(oops), I'll update my twrp and test out myself too

Hi, my device is a klte g900w8. It must be the twrp version not playing nice. Thanks for doing all this for us and breathing new life into 7.1 and our gs5's! Btw, Im using twrp 3.3.1 not 3.3.0

Last edited:
Reactions: vlad3647

haoyangw

Hi, my device is a klte g900w8. It must be the twrp version not playing nice. Thanks for doing all this for us and breathing new life into 7.1 and our gs5's! Btw, Im using twrp 3.3.1 not 3.3.0
Ok I'll test out twrp 3.3.1! Haha honestly I just started this cos oreo and pie ROMs' battery life wasn't good enough for my daily usage and I missed the crazy optimized ROMs from previous popular devices like my late Galaxy S4 xD so nougat ftw it is :D fast stable and long-lasting battery

Reactions: vlad3647

fbs

Jun 22, 2007
not in brazil
Hmm I can't seem to find arm binaries for it lol, but I'll try to compile using snapdragon llvm 6 next build! Thanks :)
EDIT: Also on my todo list is building using gcc 7/8! I'm still deciding between using (slightly) outdated uber toolchain builds or the latest linaro android toolchain xP and whether to use gcc 8, I'll compile and try if I face too many (unfixable) compilation errors I'll use gcc 7 instead! Heard there are many optimizations compared to (really old) 4.9, especially with -o3 and graphite :)

for the kernel I'm using gcc 9.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 14.1 with full Substratum support and -O3 optimizations
    Code:​
    Code:
    *** Disclamer
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */
    Why another Nougat ROM? And in 2019?
    Because this project has different goals, and hence naturally it is different from other Nougat ROMs! Here are its goals:
    -Optimizations! I will try to include optimizations on both ROM and kernel side that most current ROMs don't use. That does mean possibly more bugs!
    -Full Substratum support on LOS! Because I like LOS for its stability and simplicity, but I also miss Substratum
    -Frequent security updates! I will aim to release at least one update every month containing the latest security patch and kernel fixes from LOS upstream, and whenever major security vulnerabilities occur

Features​
    -Built with latest Linaro toolchain GCC 7.4.1 snapshot and SDClang 6.0.9
    -O3 GCC optimizations applied on ROM, O2 on Kernel
    -Graphite optimizations applied on ROM
    -Substratum/OMS commits fully merged from LineageOMS, including rootless mode
    -Latest monthly security patches(Aug 2019)
    -SELinux in Enforcing Mode​

Upcoming features​

-September security patch
    -Random drivers backported from Linux mainline(credits to @arter97 for the idea)
    -vnswap(on a separate kernel)
    -F2FS backport from Linux mainline
    -Microimprovements in kernel logic​

Bugs​
    -You tell me​

Downloads​
    Optimized LOS 14.1 builds​

OpenGapps​

How to install​
    1. In TWRP, select Wipe, and choose Data, Cache and System
    2. Install ROM zip
    3. Install Gapps zip(optional)
    4. Install any mods(optional)​

Credits
    @haggertk
    @lineageos
    @google
    @caf
    UberROMs
    @arter97

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOMS 14.1 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5

Contributors
    @haggertk
    haoyangw
    @pascua28
    Source Code: [url]https://github.com/haoyangw/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974[/URL]

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS, AOSP

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2019-06-24

Created 2019-06-24
    Last Updated 2019-08-29
    Alright another release is finally here! I am very sorry for the very long delay, I really couldn't find time earlier :( Download it here.
    Changelog:
    -Updated to the latest security patch(Aug 5 2019 at the moment)
    -Fix several warnings on the kernel side(thanks to @pascua28 for most of the fixes)
    -Upstream changes for the past 2 months(did a repo sync yesterday)
    Have already tested it like usual, everything works! Also tried flashing Intelli Kernel on top, works too :) But if there are any issues, do let me know. Happy flashing!
    PS: Sorry about the other klte variant users, I'm still planning to release the ROM for the other variants. I wish to incorporate some changes into the kernel first though. Then I'll definitely work on the other variants :) Of course, I'll incorporate any changes into other variants as well
    Good news btw! I have successfully figured out the cause of the sim card and random reboot issues in the latest release, expect a new build today or tomorrow with everything working! Will not be incorporating July security update though, haven't found time to clean up my source tree, if I do a repo sync now I'm gonna lose all my changes which took hours D: I'm working on it though, I promise!
    Finally got a successful build! I've tested it, sim card works and so does everything else! Download it here. Changes since 240619 build(0807 build is ignored because it is problematic):
    -Compiled using latest Linaro GCC 7.4 snapshot(compared to Uber GCC 4.9 in 240619)
    -SDClang 6.0.2 enabled
    -Kernel compiled using -O2 instead of -O3 for stability(fixes sim card issue, not sure why). Based on my testing and benchmark results online, the difference is negligible
    Note that the security patch is still 5 June 2019 as I have not found time to do a repo sync sorry. Will intend to update to August security patch the next build!
    Changelog
    -First build
    -Compiled using Uber GCC 4.9
    -Compiled ROM with -O3 optimizations
    -Merged proper OMS/Substratum support, including rootless mode

-Compiled using latest Linaro GCC 7.4 snapshot
    -SDClang 6.0.2 enabled
    -Kernel compiled using -O2 instead of -O3 for stability. Based on my testing and benchmark results online, the difference is negligible

-Update to latest security patch(Aug 5 2019)
    -Fix several warnings thrown by GCC 7.4
    -Sync LOS and AOSP upstream changes since June(through repo sync)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone