[ROM][7.1.2][KLTE] Optimized LineageOMS 14.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S5

What LOS ROM would you want to have optimized next?

• LOS 15.1(Oreo)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • LOS 16.0(Pie)

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Neither; keep working on this ROM

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

LightC

Jun 6, 2009
Ah I get what you mean now, I just force closed LastPass myself and yes, when I reopened LastPass app it needed me to re-enable AutoFill, as if it was the first time I was using LastPass. But you do have a misunderstanding, the app was just asking you to re-enable AutoFill only, not re-configure everything(I believe fingerprint authentication should still work, for example). The reason is the AutoFill feature relies on LastPass running an Accessibility Service in the background, and so when you force-stop the app, the Accessibity Service is also stopped, which prevents LastPass from doing AutoFill again. Hence it shows dialogs to teach you to re-enable AutoFill as it doesn't know you have already been taught. To solve this do not force close LastPass at all!! It is not a malware or battery-draining application, you need to just let it be and let it run whenever it likes. I know that sounds bad and scary, as you might think apps are not supposed to run in the background all the time, that' drain your battery, but here's another misconception you have. On Android many apps run in the background like 99/100% of the time, such as your SMS app. But you don't see your SMS app ever appearing on your top battery-draining apps list under Battery, because good apps can keep running in the background, but not do anything until they are supposed to. Battery drain happen when bad apps run in the background and keep doing useless work, causing your CPU to keep running and drain battery. As for why it doesn't stick after a reboot, have you given LastPass the permission to run on boot under Privacy Guard? This is because the Accessbility Service, like many other Android Services, are killed after a reboot, so the app needs to run automatically when your device boots so that the service can be restarted, and let AutoFill work again. I have been using LastPass on my device for very long now, and it has worked properly for me, AutoFill and all. Perhaps you wanna check your Privacy Guard settings? And also any apps like Greenify that might force stop your LastPass app(it doesn't need to be Greenified! Don't worry). Hope this helps :)
Edit: Oh yes, about the forgetting your user credentials part also. When I force stopped LastPass it also logged me out(I was only saved by the 5min grace period that I set in the settings). So just don't force stop LastPass, and it'll be back to normal :)

Thanks for looking into this. I guess I might need to do a clean install because the fingerprint authentication and autofill settings don't stick when I reboot without forcing closing the app. This appears to be different behavior than what you have experienced in your post.

I'm not running greenify and I made sure to set LastPass not to be battery optimized in the battery settings.

Thanks again for your help

haoyangw

Thanks for looking into this. I guess I might need to do a clean install because the fingerprint authentication and autofill settings don't stick when I reboot without forcing closing the app. This appears to be different behavior than what you have experienced in your post.

I'm not running greenify and I made sure to set LastPass not to be battery optimized in the battery settings.

Thanks again for your help
Oh, my apologies I couldn't help :(

Any one have problem with Bluetooth?
What kind of problem? Frequent disconnects?

@Haoyang You will Keep us in the loop as to you Switching to a Newer Build, Correct?

Q- This New Kernel that you have "Better Multi-Tasking" IS this Only for your Build ? (Only ask, since I believe some changes you have in the Rom, and new Kernel probably work only together)

Q2- When you Make the "Switch" or Jump to a newer Build, Do you plan to make your own Kernel?

OH... Since I Cant seem to change my Vote- here on the Web or through the XDA Lab App, (IT wont let me do that. Just reads, that I have already Voted)
-- I do so Now... I Vote for Pie / Los16 !
Seeing how at this time, there is Only 1 for 15, and 2 for 16
(sorry really did not think it though! Would rather have LOS16 /Pie in lue of LOS15 /Oreo , It does make more cents to Move there, Seeing how they really have stopped work on 15, (which i thought, was not done yet -IMHO))

Ready to Jump too!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vlad3647

CStadler

Apr 4, 2017
Hi everyone! Not here for a new update this time, but I promise one soon! Anyway, I've set up a poll(view it in browser, XDA app does not show it) to get some opinion on whether there's demand for newer Android Versions(in optimized mode)....
Thanks for your efforts glad someone is interested in optimising roms for S5. Between you and pascua it's made my s5 experience better.
I curious to know, the optimisation you do etc, can that be used with the source code to build other aosp/los roms with the optimisations you implement?

haoyangw

Nope,I can't connect at all to my car ,but no problem to connect to my headphones
thanks
I must apologise again, I cannot test connecting to car myself so I am unable to help with that :( Though I suspect it might have something to do with audio profiles being missing. My guess is, it might have something to do with this Android version being seriously outdated. So sorry again!

haoyangw

@Haoyang You will Keep us in the loop as to you Switching to a Newer Build, Correct?
Yes! Definitely, I will wait for more feedback before I jump. More votes would be more representative in my opinion. Actually, you all can just reply on this thread what ROM version you want, I don't really mind that kind of discussion :)

Q- This New Kernel that you have "Better Multi-Tasking" IS this Only for your Build ? (Only ask, since I believe some changes you have in the Rom, and new Kernel probably work only together)
Yes, unfortunately because of the nature of my changes for SSWAP, I am only able to implement it on a case-by-case basis. But don't worry! @pascua28 has created a magisk module for use with his kernel that works on most ROMs, try that :)

Q2- When you Make the "Switch" or Jump to a newer Build, Do you plan to make your own Kernel?
Of course! A kernel with the same features and more is definitely on my to-do list :) Big reason is cos I use my own kernel as daily driver haha

OH... Since I Cant seem to change my Vote- here on the Web or through the XDA Lab App, (IT wont let me do that. Just reads, that I have already Voted)
-- I do so Now... I Vote for Pie / Los16 !
Seeing how at this time, there is Only 1 for 15, and 2 for 16
(sorry really did not think it though! Would rather have LOS16 /Pie in lue of LOS15 /Oreo , It does make more cents to Move there, Seeing how they really have stopped work on 15, (which i thought, was not done yet -IMHO))

Ready to Jump too!!!
No worries, I understand. Good reasoning :)

haoyangw

Thanks for your efforts glad someone is interested in optimising roms for S5. Between you and pascua it's made my s5 experience better.
I curious to know, the optimisation you do etc, can that be used with the source code to build other aosp/los roms with the optimisations you implement?
Yes definitely! In fact, none of the optimizations are my idea - I cherry-picked the changes from Github. There are many ROMs, from jelly bean to pie, with these optimizations so yeah, you can apply it to almost every ROM source code, but definitely with some changes(some things just don't like optimizations, gotta workaround them)
PS: Just to make it clear, I'm not biased towards pascua28 or anything, but I just cherry-pick from him because his commit history is neat and he has a mixture of amazing changes that are very convenient and useful. Helps me maximise my limited time :)

@haoyangw - (Thought I would reply this way... Really don't want to waste space on your Thread!)

Edit..

OK, Glad that you have replied to all those Q's !!! Thank you.

Now, at time of writing...Running the latest Rom w/Your Kernel (at this time, I did the Zip through Recovery) !!! Now One thing i am uncertain about, IS which is "Better" ! Doing a Magisk Module, seems great. But, is the result the same as doing a Zip through Recovery ??

Really do enjoy the work that you have done!!! Am Dam happy someone is honestly doing a great Job! We all know many have jumped to newer Phones, Different Manufactures and such. Have rebuilt a few of the S5's. Seeing I am not spending a House payment on a new phone, which makes me even very happier!!

I will get back to you about, Issues /Problems /Ideas on your Kernel.

(Been only using 2 Different Kernels of Lately. Both of which, have ran really well on LineageOS 15 and 16. As you may tell, Came down here for a smoother running Rom. Both of which, seem to share Issues/problems!)

Awesome work here!
My "Vote" ---Would Love to Move to Pie....Only, IF, YOU were to Build it!

Last edited:

haoyangw

@haoyangw - (Thought I would reply this way... Really don't want to waste space on your Thread!)
It's alright - I appreciate your suggestions and queries :)

Now, at time of writing...Running the latest Rom w/Your Kernel (at this time, I did the Zip through Recovery) !!! Now One thing i am uncertain about, IS which is "Better" ! Doing a Magisk Module, seems great. But, is the result the same as doing a Zip through Recovery ??
I would say that overall a Magisk module is better, because it is way more universal and 'safe'(all you need to undo a change is disable the module). Customizing a kernel would help with the implementation, but it is too much work to customize all the kernels out there, so I can't do that, I'll leave that to our talented kernel devs. In the end, the result should still be the same, you get better multitasking, so it isn't that much of a concern which method you/devs choose. Pick whatever you like :)

Awesome work here!
My "Vote" ---Would Love to Move to Pie....Only, IF, YOU were to Build it!
Normally I would simply hit the thanks button, but I just had to tell you that I am very heartened and touched by your words, thank you very much. Never thought my work meant so much, but it's good to know now, it'll give me more motivation :) Rest assured, I will build an updated version of Android with the same optimizations, to all of you guys nice users!

CStadler

Apr 4, 2017
Yes definitely! In fact, none of the optimizations are my idea - I cherry-picked the changes from Github. There are many ROMs, from jelly bean to pie, with these optimizations so yeah, you can apply it to almost every ROM source code, but definitely with some changes(some things just don't like optimizations, gotta workaround them)
PS: Just to make it clear, I'm not biased towards pascua28 or anything, but I just cherry-pick from him because his commit history is neat and he has a mixture of amazing changes that are very convenient and useful. Helps me maximise my limited time :)
That's really cool, was wondering, since if you started making an optimised pie rom, I'd like love an optimised Havoc os version, and since you just said it's only commits then I'd like to try and use your picked commits and try and use that to build havoc os. I'm already excited, thanks again for all your efforts. Have you ever considered making a telegram group for your rom(s)?

haoyangw

That's really cool, was wondering, since if you started making an optimised pie rom, I'd like love an optimised Havoc os version, and since you just said it's only commits then I'd like to try and use your picked commits and try and use that to build havoc os. I'm already excited, thanks again for all your efforts. Have you ever considered making a telegram group for your rom(s)?
Sure, when I test out a successful optimized pie build I'll be sure to sync the commits to github neatly so it'll be easy to pick. I haven't thought about a Telegram group, but if it helps I'm all for it! I already have telegram anyway
Edit: Aside, it seems Oreo isn't very popular at all, I'll take Pie on then? Any objections? It does make sense anyway, Oreo is being deprecated and moved to security updates only now that Android 10 is out D:

Edit: Aside, it seems Oreo isn't very popular at all, I'll take Pie on then? Any objections? It does make sense anyway, Oreo is being deprecated and moved to security updates only now that Android 10 is out D:

Yeah , Like I had mentioned before... LineageOS-15.1 is rather dead, (at least for Galaxy S5 is concerned) So why waste your time?
So take the time that you need, and then hit us with a Huge Surprise...... New Build , An Optimize Pie !!!

A willing to test. Just send me PM .....

...... And there was Silence ....

Hopefully I am not "Jumping" the gun here....But seeing how @haoyangw is not been writing anything at all, for 2 days and counting! Speaks volumes to me!

Again, Haoyangw , take all the time you need!

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Hopefully I am not "Jumping" the gun here....But seeing how @haoyangw is not been writing anything at all, for 2 days and counting! Speaks volumes to me!

Again, Haoyangw , take all the time you need! Thank you for keeping our S5 alive!!!!

haoyangw

Again, Haoyangw , take all the time you need!

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Again, Haoyangw , take all the time you need! Thank you for keeping our S5 alive!!!!
Haha sorry about that, I was very busy the past few days with work and stuff, I will try to find time this coming week. Thanks for your patience :)

Haha sorry about that, I was very busy the past few days with work and stuff, I will try to find time this coming week. Thanks for your patience :)

Relax bud! Only was pointing out the fact you weren't on here... Just trying to calm the restless! Plus a laugh or 2!

Certainly can fully understand! Sometimes Work and Family need to take it easy, relax, and be quiet, At the same time to boot!! Yeah, I can relate!

No worries.

Will/Can the new build include KTEDV (Sprint Network) ?? With some time, I can fix that, so no worries!! (just save me some time...that's all...........................

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 14.1 with full Substratum support and -O3 optimizations
    Code:​
    Code:
    *** Disclamer
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */
    Why another Nougat ROM? And in 2019?
    Because this project has different goals, and hence naturally it is different from other Nougat ROMs! Here are its goals:
    -Optimizations! I will try to include optimizations on both ROM and kernel side that most current ROMs don't use. That does mean possibly more bugs!
    -Full Substratum support on LOS! Because I like LOS for its stability and simplicity, but I also miss Substratum
    -Frequent security updates! I will aim to release at least one update every month containing the latest security patch and kernel fixes from LOS upstream, and whenever major security vulnerabilities occur

Features​
    -Built with latest Linaro toolchain GCC 7.4.1 snapshot and SDClang 6.0.9
    -O3 GCC optimizations applied on ROM, O2 on Kernel
    -Graphite optimizations applied on ROM
    -Substratum/OMS commits fully merged from LineageOMS, including rootless mode
    -Latest monthly security patches(Aug 2019)
    -SELinux in Enforcing Mode​

Upcoming features​

-September security patch
    -Random drivers backported from Linux mainline(credits to @arter97 for the idea)
    -vnswap(on a separate kernel)
    -F2FS backport from Linux mainline
    -Microimprovements in kernel logic​

Bugs​
    -You tell me​

Downloads​
    Optimized LOS 14.1 builds​

OpenGapps​

How to install​
    1. In TWRP, select Wipe, and choose Data, Cache and System
    2. Install ROM zip
    3. Install Gapps zip(optional)
    4. Install any mods(optional)​

Credits
    @haggertk
    @lineageos
    @google
    @caf
    UberROMs
    @arter97

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOMS 14.1 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5

Contributors
    @haggertk
    haoyangw
    @pascua28
    Source Code: [url]https://github.com/haoyangw/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974[/URL]

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: LineageOS, AOSP

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2019-06-24

Created 2019-06-24
    Last Updated 2019-08-29
    Alright another release is finally here! I am very sorry for the very long delay, I really couldn't find time earlier :( Download it here.
    Changelog:
    -Updated to the latest security patch(Aug 5 2019 at the moment)
    -Fix several warnings on the kernel side(thanks to @pascua28 for most of the fixes)
    -Upstream changes for the past 2 months(did a repo sync yesterday)
    Have already tested it like usual, everything works! Also tried flashing Intelli Kernel on top, works too :) But if there are any issues, do let me know. Happy flashing!
    PS: Sorry about the other klte variant users, I'm still planning to release the ROM for the other variants. I wish to incorporate some changes into the kernel first though. Then I'll definitely work on the other variants :) Of course, I'll incorporate any changes into other variants as well
    Good news btw! I have successfully figured out the cause of the sim card and random reboot issues in the latest release, expect a new build today or tomorrow with everything working! Will not be incorporating July security update though, haven't found time to clean up my source tree, if I do a repo sync now I'm gonna lose all my changes which took hours D: I'm working on it though, I promise!
    Finally got a successful build! I've tested it, sim card works and so does everything else! Download it here. Changes since 240619 build(0807 build is ignored because it is problematic):
    -Compiled using latest Linaro GCC 7.4 snapshot(compared to Uber GCC 4.9 in 240619)
    -SDClang 6.0.2 enabled
    -Kernel compiled using -O2 instead of -O3 for stability(fixes sim card issue, not sure why). Based on my testing and benchmark results online, the difference is negligible
    Note that the security patch is still 5 June 2019 as I have not found time to do a repo sync sorry. Will intend to update to August security patch the next build!
    Changelog
    -First build
    -Compiled using Uber GCC 4.9
    -Compiled ROM with -O3 optimizations
    -Merged proper OMS/Substratum support, including rootless mode

-Compiled using latest Linaro GCC 7.4 snapshot
    -SDClang 6.0.2 enabled
    -Kernel compiled using -O2 instead of -O3 for stability. Based on my testing and benchmark results online, the difference is negligible

-Update to latest security patch(Aug 5 2019)
    -Fix several warnings thrown by GCC 7.4
    -Sync LOS and AOSP upstream changes since June(through repo sync)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone