• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][7.1.2][N8000/N801x/N8020][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nougat [EOL]

Search This thread

AleLosco

Mar 13, 2019
Hi,
Can I ask, when you installed Magisk, what did you do with the inbuilt root, did you simply disable it in developer options or uninstall it another way.

I ask because I am unsure myself.

After you install the ROM, the system asks if you want to install the root. Don't accept installation and check the reboot option.

Reactions: easyroot

easyroot

Jul 20, 2015
After flash you need suaddon from lineageos then it's in developer mode. It has no built in by default.

I saw a link to that but I have root straight off, SU CM16 so it looks like it is included.

PS I have installed the fs trimmer you recommended.

Thank you for your help.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

After you install the ROM, the system asks if you want to install the root. Don't accept installation and check the reboot option.

I see, thank you. I can easily re install and could do the new version. I am not too concerned about the hide function on this machine.

Last edited:

easyroot

Jul 20, 2015
N6 Installed

Installed N6 last night, again used mini Gapps.
The volume is better. The camera is the same as N5 as far as I can see. Don has mentioned above that it needs a lot of coding. I am happy to use Open Camera, I used it on the last Lineage ROM so will just install that and be happy.

The only thing that stands out so far is the MTP issue in use, on my previous Nugget ROM it was always just at the initial unlock.

Thank you again for the ROM.

Last edited:

burakcank

Feb 13, 2018
İstanbul
Can I install addonsu-16.0-arm for root ?

Edit: I have tried to install both 16.0 and 15.1 and they didn't work. 14.1 version is the way to go, confirmed.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2016
The only thing that stands out so far is the MTP issue in use, on my previous Nugget ROM it was always just at the initial unlock.

I don't know about the MTP app function,
but i try to disable it, any works fine so far. (eg. download, upload, install)
never show FC dialog.
Testing USB to PC, it seems still worked.
not sure what will be negative after disabling it.

burakcank

Feb 13, 2018
İstanbul
Hey guys, what do I need to do in order to be able to install opengapps full package. Apparently when I try to install it, I am getting a system storage error. I have been able to install mini package, but I want the functionality of the full one, just because.

easyroot

Jul 20, 2015
Root

Can I install addonsu-16.0-arm for root ?

Edit: I have tried to install both 16.0 and 15.1 and they didn't work. 14.1 version is the way to go, confirmed.

That is interesting. So what is the version that is inbuilt, ie. 16 cm su. I have seen no option to not install at the flash stage and it works fine. Is it something only made available in the recent updated versions, N5 and N6?

Just trying to understand why a separate installation is required when root appears to be included with the ROM.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Hey guys, what do I need to do in order to be able to install opengapps full package. Apparently when I try to install it, I am getting a system storage error.

The device doesn't have room for full gapps. The system partition is too small.

Just install a smaller package and add the missing apps from the Play Store. That puts them on the data partition.

Since any Play Stoee updates go to /data anyway, the copy in /system is redundant.
(Unless you constantly install newer gapps package)

There is nothing in a package above nano that can't be added via Play Store.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

I have seen no option to not install at the flash stage and it works fine.

You just missed it. It doesn't have to be installed.

CM/LOS separated su long ago. (CM12?)
Normally you have to download and install the addon yourself.

Or use a 3rd party option like Magick.

the addon interferes with 3rd party options.

easyroot

Jul 20, 2015
[/COLOR]
You just missed it. It doesn't have to be installed

I must have done, I did look because it was already mentioned about the tick box. If I am undrstanding you correctly, it sounds like it is better to have the 14.1 arm or Magisk.

EDIT
I believe root has carried over but now seems to report as cm su16 where as in the past it did not.
It also may be why I did not see an option to decline installation.

Last edited:

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
[/COLOR]

I must have done, I did look because it was already mentioned about the tick box. If I am undrstanding you correctly, it sounds like it is better to have the 14.1 arm or Magisk.
I don't know about the different versions of the addon. They should all be equivalent just updated to properly support a given release of the ROM.

I use Magisk for MagiskHide and to pass SafetyNet. I use several apps that I need one or both for.

burakcank

Feb 13, 2018
İstanbul
That is interesting. So what is the version that is inbuilt, ie. 16 cm su. I have seen no option to not install at the flash stage and it works fine. Is it something only made available in the recent updated versions, N5 and N6?

Just trying to understand why a separate installation is required when root appears to be included with the ROM.

Root is not included with the lineage. Binaries are missing.

The device doesn't have room for full gapps. The system partition is too small.

Just install a smaller package and add the missing apps from the Play Store. That puts them on the data partition.

Since any Play Stoee updates go to /data anyway, the copy in /system is redundant.
(Unless you constantly install newer gapps package)

There is nothing in a package above nano that can't be added via Play Store.

I used opengapps config, which was very handy. I wonder is it really better (in terms of speed or future proof) to leave the system partition free of gapps with minim installation or it does not actually make much of a difference.

Last edited:

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
I used opengapps config, which was very handy.
Great for installing only the apps you want vs everything in the package downloaded.
Fine granularity vs the predefined packages.
But that's not the same as having everything from the full package unless there's an option to install to /data instead of /system.

I wonder is it really better (in terms of speed or future proof) to leave the system partition free of gapps with minim installation or it does not actually make much of a difference.

if there's room then it's just wasted space.
But then there's not much you can do with /system anyway so no benefit to not using it for gapps.

And stuff in /system survives "factory reset."

But when an app in /system updates, the update is stored on /data, taking away space for "use apps."

So I think best is to put what you can in /system and install updated gapps regularly. That minimizes how mich of /data is wasted on updated-

Don Carnage

I'm currently planning out my next steps after fixing the damn MTP bug. Is there anything bothering you currently which needs to be fixed ASAP with the current version of the ROM and that cannot wait any longer? If not, I would propose (if there is any demand) to build maybe one or two other Custom ROMs which shouldn't be too much work and then start on the 8.1 update. What do you think? Are you even interested in having some choice or are you ok with having LineageOS and want the 8.1 update immediately? I'm curious about the answers.

AleLosco

Mar 13, 2019
I'm currently planning out my next steps after fixing the damn MTP bug. Is there anything bothering you currently which needs to be fixed ASAP with the current version of the ROM and that cannot wait any longer? If not, I would propose (if there is any demand) to build maybe one or two other Custom ROMs which shouldn't be too much work and then start on the 8.1 update. What do you think? Are you even interested in having some choice or are you ok with having LineageOS and want the 8.1 update immediately? I'm curious about the answers.

In my opinion it's necessary to fix the problem with Maigisk Hide ;)

(I think it's a Kernell problem)

easyroot

Jul 20, 2015
Are you even interested in having some choice or are you ok with having LineageOS and want the 8.1 update immediately? I'm curious about the answers.

If the MTP issue is relatively straight forward to fix it would be complete for me. As far as another ROM goes, it would be great to move up to 8 (or even 9 if that is possible). I am happy with Lineage would go straight to that. Having said that, I am not sure what other ROMs could bring to the table. I suppose speed is all I could ask and perhaps that only comes with trial.

Most importantly, I am thankful you are taking time out to offer anything so whatever you decide yourself after the replies is fine by me.

Reactions: FanboyStudios

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THERE WILL BE NO MORE UPDATES HERE!

This thread hasn't been updated in a while as I'm working on mainline support and a kernel 5.10 release for the Note 10.1. There are excellent releases of Android 9+ from @html6405 now and I don't intend on updating this thread. I'll leave everything as is, but don't expect me to view this thread on a regular basis. Most questions are already answered, use the search.

For the new mainline kernel version, please don't ask for any ETAs, there's still some things to be fixed before there will be an official release and I have a normal life to take care off.

If you have experience with kernel / ROM development and want to help me out? Leave me a message, I'd appreciate any helping hand no matter how much you can contribute, every little bit helps. Even looking at the device tree and giving me hints would be great as I would still consider myself being intermediate at best at putting everything together, it's just a lot to dig into with the little time I have.

=====================

Code:
    /*
    * Your (expired) warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Hi, I'm currently trying to get this device officially supported again as I really love it and it never let me down in the last 5 or so years. It still works amazingly fast and I have no need to replace it with anything else.

As I'm a Java engineer for my day job there is a lot of new stuff here, I had some contact with C/C++ when I studied CS a couple of years ago but never actually wrote anything bigger than two or three files in these languages. This is quite an adventure and I learned a lot already but I'm open for any help you can offer. After all, I'm doing this for fun and getting better at whatever hits me in the face while doing it.

Current Status
    Frozen - No further development!

Working
    • Audio
    • Video
    • Bluetooth
    • GPS
    • Hardware Acceleration
    • SELinux
    • Sensors
    • IR
    • RIL (N8000)
    • Wifi (98% of the time?)

Partly working
    • Camera (use OpenCamera, zoom and focus not working currently)
    • Setup Wizard: Voice Match installation screen has wrong rotation
    • MTP (occasionally crashing)

Not working at all
    • RIL (N8020)

Reporting Bugs

Please provide logcat, dmesg, kmsg, steps to reproduce or whatever is appropriate to help me understand the issue.
    Here is a link to help you help me: How To Logcat

Source Code

Device #1: n8000
    Device #2: n8013
    Device #2: n8020
    Common: n80xx-common
    Common: p4notelte-common
    SoC: smdk4412-common
    SoC QC: smdk4412-qcom-common
    Kernel: smdk4412
    Hardware: samsung

FAQ

• Q: Why another thread?!?
    • A: The ROM provided by @lirokoa is great but it is based on sources that deviated quite a lot from the official LOS repo, I try to close this gap and get the ROM aligned to the remaining devices based on the SMDK4412 core so that everbody profits from the development going on there. This ultimately means that we can get a 8.x alpha version "soon" after fixing the remaining issues.

• Q: How can I help to improve the ROM?
    • A: If you are a developer, I'd be happy to discuss the remaining issues with you and how to approach/solve them. I'm open for pull requests on Github. If you are testing the ROM and can provide log files for issues this is also a great thing, even more so if it is one of the devices I do not own.

• Q: What's up with the performance?
    • A: Disable Live Display, it's actually not supported by the GPU (or at least by the current driver)

• Q: The camera is crashing!
    • A: Use Open Camera

• Q: Wifi attempts to connect but never succeeds!
    • A: Try reflashing again, including wiping. This usually fixes it.

Credits and Thanks
    • all the people that worked/are still working on the smdk4412 device and kernel source code, this wouldn't be possible without their hard work!
    • the guys from #lineageos-dev channel for helping me out with my questions
    • all the people posting helpful guides in various sections all over the forums
    • @lirokoa for the updates and support that helped this device to live on until today

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 N8000/N801X/N8020, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Contributors
    Don Carnage
    Source Code: https://github.com/Viciouss?tab=repositories&q=android

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2018-12-28
    Last Updated 2019-11-28
    Updates

Build N6 (12.03.2019)
    • Bluetooth for the N8020
    • Reactivated pegasusq boost
    • Set maximum volume from 5 to 7
    • Platform Security Updates (03/19)

Build N5 (15.02.2019)
    • Enabled IR sender
    • SELinux rule cleanup
    • Added N8020 support!

Build N4 (21.01.2019)
    • Fixed Power HAL permission issues
    • Eliminated some warnings from logcat (camera and boost related)
    • Camera shouldn't crash anymore

Build N3 (07.01.2019)
    • Fixed the video playing issues

Build N2 (31.12.2018)
    • N801x now available!
    • Basic camera support, some problems with video
    • Activated CPU Power Management
    • Streamlined some kernel parameters with other configs for the same board

Build N1 (29.12.2018)
    • Make the Note 10.1 great again!
    • Lots of device file adjustments
    • Fixed keyboard not showing up initially
    • Fixed Settings app crash
    Installation
    • use TWRP files from the link below!
    • coming from stock: flash TWRP TAR.MD5 file via Odin (I used 3.12 for this) or Heimdall (latest)
    • TWRP already installed: flash TWRP IMG file via TWRP
    • boot into recovery
    • wipe cache + dalvik/art
    • coming from stock/another rom: wipe system + data
    • flash ROM first, then GApps without rebooting the device
    • wipe the cache again just for fun

Need Root for Apps?

TWRP

TWRP got it's own thread, click this link to get there.

ROMs

Open GApps

• Click me (ARM - 7.1 - don't use FULL as there is not enough space to install it - try micro or lower instead)

Archived Downloads
    Small update from my side:

I added the IR module which doesn't seem to make any problems.
    The N8020 build was successful and I already booted into the system, still need to do some testing though.
    Updates will be uploaded next week as I still don't have my personal internet access back.