• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][7.1.2_r24][UNOFFICIAL][grouper] LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7 2012

Search This thread

phoenix_wnd

Nov 27, 2011
performance issues

hey!
i use this rom as a daily driver and had performance issues after some time with every rom >android 4.4.
so i tried some things and what helped best was:
-installing busybox
-enabling cron
-adding these lines to crontab:
Code:
0/15 * * * * echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
0/15 * * * * echo "2" > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
0/15 * * * * echo "3" > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
0/15 * * * * fstrim -v /cache
0/15 * * * * fstrim -v /data
#eof
without going into deep details: every 15mins i'll drop several caches and will execute a fstrim command for both cache and data.
keeps my nexus 7 fresh with lineageos.
just for discussion and try-out.
*edit: better save a copy of crontab before every time you update rom so you can copy it again after...

Last edited:

tech927

Dec 5, 2012
Lineage 14.1 on Nexus 7 Tilapia

Is this rom workable on the nexus 7 tilapia model? For me I will just use it as a tablet, not a cell device, so the 3G connectivity is not important to me. I'm wanting to update it to android 7.x and have the latest security patches.
A guide appreciated.
Currently I can't get twrp 3.0.2-0 to stay on the tablet, it keeps getting overridden.

Thanks.
Dave.

danja95

Dec 21, 2017
Is this rom workable on the nexus 7 tilapia model? For me I will just use it as a tablet, not a cell device, so the 3G connectivity is not important to me. I'm wanting to update it to android 7.x and have the latest security patches.
A guide appreciated.
Currently I can't get twrp 3.0.2-0 to stay on the tablet, it keeps getting overridden.

Thanks.
Dave.

i want a image for tilapia too! i found a image on androidhost, but i cant boot from it.

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
To flash this on tipalia, you have to modify zip/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script, changing all references of grouper to tilapia.

Note it may not work!
download this rom on pc open the zip with 7zip and go to the mentioned directory, drag and drop the updater script on the desktop and open it in a text editor. change all the grouper into tilapia (should be three or four search only in the first line) and save the file without an extension (no txt or doc).
then delete the updater script in the 7zip directory and drag and drop the modified updater script from the desktop in that directory in 7zip.

now you can put the zip file on your Nexus and it should flash without errors.

Reactions: hackintosh5

meldor54

Jan 23, 2018

can't speak for tilapia, but TWRP 3.2.1-0 working seeming fine, on grouper.
are you updating from within TWRP or from fresh (e.g. flash recovery twrp_image.img)

remember, you need to boot into recovery on first boot after flashing recovery otherwise stock rom will just overwrite it with stock recovery again, and you'll have to flash twrp again.

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
Bug report on 20180121 build:
Settings - Security = Settings FC

i am able to access the
Settings -> Security -> and all sub settings under Security without any problem !

you might want to to do a clean install ...
Format /System
wipe Cache and Dalvik
flash rom and gapps ... and you should be good with the all settings from previous build as you have not formated/wiped ... /data.

Reactions: jpmaster

jpmaster

Aug 17, 2015
Porto
Thanks for all the sugestions to my problem.
It seems like I'm the only one to have it.
Let me describe my actions:
- Dirty flash 20180121 on top of 20171122 - Settings FC
- Dirty flash 20180121 and open gapps after wiping system, cache and Dalvik cache - Settings FC
- Clean flash 20180121 and open gapps after wiping system, data, cache and Dalvik cache - Settings FC
- Restore backup of 20171122 - Everything OK.

Any sugestions ?

Charles IV

Jan 15, 2016
Thanks for all the sugestions to my problem.
It seems like I'm the only one to have it.
Let me describe my actions:
- Dirty flash 20180121 on top of 20171122 - Settings FC
- Dirty flash 20180121 and open gapps after wiping system, cache and Dalvik cache - Settings FC
- Clean flash 20180121 and open gapps after wiping system, data, cache and Dalvik cache - Settings FC
- Restore backup of 20171122 - Everything OK.

Any sugestions ?

From the backup try clean flashing 20180121, and a logcat.
Maybe try backing up everything, then wiping data and clean flash. See if it persists.

tech927

Dec 5, 2012
Bluebourne and crack patches

Does this rom have the Bluebourne and crack patches integrated?

Flounderist

Jan 7, 2016
Cork
Hi all.
I would suggest you to use a nice Magisk module to install Gapps systemlessly. It is called MagicGapps and you will find it in the download section in Magisk Manager.
In order to get it working I made the following:
- Wiped cache, data, system, dalvik
- Flashed ROM and Magisk 15.3 ONLY
- Rebooted and set up device (no account set up at this stage)
- Granted root to Magisk and downloaded MagicGapps
- Rebooted in recovery and flashed MagicGapps.zip
- IMPORTANT - you must place an OpenGapps package in your \download folder before flashing the module. I used Pico.
- *tip* don't leave any file named as "opengapps" in download folder except the gapps package you want to flash.
- Once flashed, reboot device and access to PlayStore. It will take a little while to set up process to be loaded.

Performance: before trying this mod I dirty flashed the latest build and it was faster than the previous one.
I am using my kernel I posted some post before, so performance may vary.
Now that system partition has more free space, device improved a little more., I don't know if it is a placebo effect or a fresh-start side effect.
Maybe @aaopt or @AndDiSa could confirm if a lighter, less cluttered system partition can make device snappier.
The most noticeable change is in animation speed, or when switching from an app to another one.

aaopt

Feb 27, 2011
Pawtucket, RI
Hi all.
I would suggest you to use a nice Magisk module to install Gapps systemlessly. It is called MagicGapps and you will find it in the download section in Magisk Manager.
- IMPORTANT - you must place an OpenGapps package in your \download folder before flashing the module. I used Pico.
- *tip* don't leave any file named as "opengapps" in download folder except the gapps package you want to flash.
- Once flashed, reboot device and access to PlayStore. It will take a little while to set up process to be loaded.

Performance: before trying this mod I dirty flashed the latest build and it was faster than the previous one.
Now that system partition has more free space, device improved a little more., I don't know if it is a placebo effect or a fresh-start side effect.
Maybe @aaopt or @AndDiSa could confirm if a lighter, less cluttered system partition can make device snappier.
The most noticeable change is in animation speed, or when switching from an app to another one.
I'd guess that the main benefit came from wiping data, if you previously had less than 2gb free. In general use I'd expect free space on /data to matter more than free space on /system. If that's true then systemless gapps could turn out to be counter productive, if they install on /data instead.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Flounderist

Jan 7, 2016
Cork
I'd guess that the main benefit came from wiping data, if you previously had less than 2gb free. In general use I'd expect free space on /data to matter more than free space on /system. If that's true then systemless gapps could turn out to be counter productive, if they install on /data instead.
This is my current device status, sorry for posting screenshot in my mother tongue but I assume information are intelligible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180128-213745.png
    Screenshot_20180128-213745.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 658

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
i think the only noticeable speed gains could come from an updated kernel or a somehow ported android go OS. Everything else will maybe make the device faster in special scenarios, but also be a culprit in others.

sdarshan64

Jun 11, 2013
Tamil Nadu, Madurai
Hi all.

Can you share your kernel or stock kernel is good enough for performance and battery?

astrod

Jul 24, 2014
Google Pixel
I wanted to share my experience. I dirty flashed the latest ROM and I do feel that it improved slightly in performance. But what also seemed to help a lot was disabling the Google play store, uninstalling Google search, and installing yalp store.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM][7.1.2_r8][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7 2012 (grouper)

*** Disclamer

By downloading and installing this ROM you agree that you do so at
    your own risk, and that you understand that it probably voids your
    warranty. (But does anyone still have an active warranty on this 2012
    device?)

Introduction

@AndDiSa's AOSP 7 builds look pretty nice, but I needed something that seamlessly upgrades from CM13. @GtrCraft who provided our CM13 builds has moved on to other devices, so we need a new CM maintainer. I may not be the right person for that job... but I can at least share the build I made for myself. Perhaps someone will be motivated to join the fun or even take over.

[Images on screenshots tab.]

Installation instructions

• Back up your data and previous ROM with TWRP 3.0.2 or 3.1.0.
    • Download from link below.
    • Wipe system, cache, dalvik.
    • Also wipe data unless you are coming from CM13.
    • Install the ROM.
    • Optionally add opengapps-pico.
      With default settings it will give an error about insufficient space. To avoid that, first copy this gapps-config-grouper.txt file, perhaps edit it to your taste (instructions here), then copy to the device in the same directory as the opengapps zip. The opengapps updater-script will look for it there when you install opengapps.​
    • Reboot.
      WAIT for system to settle before you decide it is slow. Some of the app optimization which used to happen during initial boot now seems to happen in the background. When it's finished, responsiveness will improve.​
    • If you use ext4, run fstrim.
      There are ways to automate this, but I just run this app after each ROM upgrade, plus roughly once a week, after large batches of app updates from Play Store, or whenever my tablet starts to feel sluggish.​

Download
    lineage-14.1-20171122-UNOFFICIAL-aaopt-grouper.zip (AndroidFileHost)

Credits / Thanks
    • Google / AOSP
    • CyanogenMod LineageOS
    • @AndDiSa for AOSP 7.1 -- I use his kernel tree directly, and many of his device tree mods
    • @GtrCraft for the CM13 tree upon which mine is based

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial LineageOS 14.1 for Nexus 7, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    aaopt, AndDiSa,GtrCraft
    Source Code: https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_android_device_asus_grouper/

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-01-02
    Last Updated 2017-12-19
    Changelog

Nearly all builds include LineageOS sync -- only mentioned specifically when it was the main point of the build.

• (TESTING)20181209 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync.
    • (TESTING)20181104 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync.
    • (TESTING)20180708 (AndroidFileHost)
      Added @AndDiSa's kernel and device tweaks since my last build and LineageOS sync with June patches.
    • (TESTING)20180121 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's January performance tweaks. LineageOS sync with January patches.
    older entries:

• 20171122 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync with November patches.
    • (TESTING) 20171112 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's latest kernel and device tweaks.
    • (TESTING) 20171020 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including October patches and KRAKN fix.
      Kernel updates and latest device performance tweaks from @AndDiSa .
    • (TESTING) 20170811 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including August patches.
    • 20170717 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2r24 ; perf tweak from @AndDiSa
    • 20170702 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync
    • 20170609 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including June patches; Following @AndDiSa's lead to intelliactive governor, for hopefully improved battery life with minimal performance impact.
    • 20170507 (AndroidFileHost)
      Following @AndDiSa's lead to pick up a better fix for RenderThread issues from UnlegacyAndroid.
    • 20170503 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r8
    • 20170423 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync brings us to 7.1.2_r2
      Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates, including the RenderThread app crash fix he got from @Ziyann.
    • 20170315 (XDA)
      Updated with @AndDiSa's kernel and device tree updates.
    • 20170308 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync includes March security patches. For unknown reasons this build seems to be somewhat crashy.
    • 20170226 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync includes Feb security patches
    • 20170212 (AndroidFileHost)
      AndDiSa's kernel updates
    • 20170129 (AndroidFileHost)
      AndDiSa's kernel updates
    • 20170122 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync, including boot animation and settings updates and various other fixes here and there.
    • 20170108 (AndroidFileHost)
      Switch to Snap camera, at least for now.
    • 20170101 (AndroidFileHost)
      First LineageOS 14.1 build for grouper.
    • Unofficial CM 14.1 (XDA)
      Previous history in my CM 14.1 thread.

More detailed history: my device tree, AndDiSa's kernel, LineageOS .
    What about WiFi patch for KRACK WPA2 security vulnerabilities?
    Wanted new release with all security patches.
    Building. Just added to changelog:
    • (TESTING) 20171020 (AndroidFileHost)
      LineageOS sync including October patches and KRAKN fix.
      Kernel updates and latest device performance tweaks from @AndDiSa .
    Not much testing yet, but so far this build feels faster to me. Also seems like Wifi is behaving better. What do you think?
    • (TESTING)20180121 (AndroidFileHost)
      @AndDiSa's January performance tweaks. LineageOS sync with January patches.
    Try this at home

(a.k.a. Build instructions)

There are plenty of guides to building CM. Those guides are still relevant with the possible exceptions of their URLs. Assuming you have read enough such guides to have the general idea of how to build a ROM from source, here is one way you can set up your source tree to mimic mine.

In a clean directory, perhaps ~/android/lineageos-14.1/ :

Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b cm-14.1
    git clone https://github.com/aperomsik/lineageos_local_manifests.git .repo/local_manifests -b cm-14.1
    repo sync -c 
    . build/envsetup.sh
    brunch grouper