[ROM][7/7/11] Virtuous Doubleshot v1.0.1 :: Sense 3.0 Espresso (Base 1.01.531.1)

Search This thread

mdeejay

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2010
Abakan
Virtuous-2.1.png

Doubleshot

Virtuous Doubleshot is a port of the ROM from the MyTouch 4G Slide, which features a custom version of Sense 3.0. It is based on the final/official base (Doubleshot_TMOUS_1.01.531.1). The custom Sense variant featured in this ROM is called Espresso, which is quite different visually from standard Sense UI. Additionally, the MT4G Slide is a WVGA device, meaning no re-sizing was needed.
ds1.jpg
ds2.jpg
ds3.jpg

• Based on the official MyTouch 4G Slide shipping ROM (Doubleshot_TMOUS_1.01.531.1).

• Native rotating Rosie (launcher) support. (DesireZ/G2 and MT4G only).

• Ported for full functionality on each supported device.

• Heavily optimized for fluid performance and usability.

• Overclocked kernels with numerous additional kernel modules.

• Built-in screen state frequency scaling (1.2Ghz-245MHz/ondemand screen-on, 806Mhz-245Mz/conservative screen-off), via custom built Virtuous_OC C daemon.

• Trackpad wake support (DesireZ/G2 and MT4G only).

• WiFi calling (T-Mobile USA only).

• Fully functional device hardware, including wifi, bluetooth, camera, camcorder, etc.

• Market-sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc) automatically installed on first boot into /data/app for easy removal.

• Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.

• Desire HD
  • Desire Z / T-Mobile G2

Porting Information and Credits

Virtuous Doubleshot, or any components therein, may not be ported to other devices without explicit email approval from the development team. We will be approving ports, presuming the develop of a given port is ready and willing to follow the same revision control and release processes currently employed existing devices.

• For Vision users, the DesireZ hboot is REQUIRED. I have written a guide for G2 users who need to make this transition.

• If you are experiencing random freezes and/or reboots, this is likely due to your device being incapable of handling our overclocking defaults. Download and apply this flashable patch, which will reduce the maximum CPU frequency to 1Ghz and likely eliminate this issue.

• You must complete a full wipe prior to installing this ROM the first time. We also recommend wiping between upgrades, but you are welcome to try upgrading without a wipe. However, no support will be provided if you file a bug without having wiped prior to submission.

• Disconnect your USB cable prior to the first boot, otherwise the Market apps do not install. This is because the default USB connection mode is "Disk Drive". We will resolve this issue in a future release.

(Please remember to hit the "Thanks" button if you download the ROM)​

Last edited:

mdeejay

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2010
Abakan
Code:
v.1.0.1:
- Initial release

Introduction to the new Overclocking Daemon

This ROM features a completely new way of Overclocking and managing screen states.

The History
But before explaining it further, let's talk about previous solutions.
There are several different approaches to archieve "screen-state-scaling".
That means basically that the govenor changes if you turn the screen off and changes back to normal when turning the screen on.

This is mainly used to restrict the amount of CPU usage (the frequency in fact) during screen off. This can lead to a major battery life increase.

The solutions so far were:
  • App like SetCPU, which change automatically the govenor based on profiles
  • integrated solutions in the govenor itself

Both these solutions have major problems.

The one with a tuner app is always a little laggy right after turning on the screen because SetCPU (or any other CPU tuner) needs some time to change the govenors (up to 7 seconds). This leads mostly to major lag in the lockscreen.

The second solution is the smartass govenor. It has already a screen-state-scaling included, so it reduces the frequency when the screen turn off.
This could be a really nice solution but it has some problems too.
Smartass most of the time is not really stable and has problems with its frequency scaling.

State-of-the-art-solution
So we (more precisely rmk40) thought of a better solution.
He wrote a native C Daemon which changes the govenors instantly without any lag.

This leads to major performance improvements right after turning on the screen and in the lockscreen.

But at the moment this solution is a little bit harder to configure. We are plaing to make a GUI for this, so you get the same comfort as using SetCPU.
Nevertheless you can even now adjust the daemon to your needs.

Be aware that the daemon only works if all CPU tuner apps are deinstalled. Otherwise it deactivates itself.
How to adjust the daemon

The daemon is configured with 6 files in the folder /system/etc/virtuous_oc/.
There are 3 files for the wake state and 3 for the sleep state. For each state one file for the govenor, one for the minimal frequency and one for the maximal frequency.

You can easily edit these files eg. with RootExplorer or any other app which can edit system files. So you can adjust the frequencies and the govenor for each state just like with SetCPU.

In order to get the available frequencies for the current kernel, just open your favorite terminal app and type
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
You could also use adb shell to show the frequencies on your computer.

To get the available govenors use a similar approach:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Please make sure, you are entering the right values in the daemon's config files.

Last edited:

shree.cse

Apr 30, 2010
Bangalore
This is what I am looking for, Native landscape mode. Thank you Mdeejay
Small doubt, Which format should I use for the partitions? Ext3 or Ext4?

Sent from my Desire HD

Last edited:

Sick S

Mar 7, 2011
Almaty
Downloading)))( I hope on this rom srs&dm will work ):D
egorgoblin, i think it like's on unity (automatically change your patritions to ext4)

Last edited:

egorgoblin

Apr 6, 2011
Moscow
Sick S,

I guess yeah. I really hope thow its recomended with a latest 26.10.04.03_M radio, 26.09.04.11_M2 sucked for me((

baltazar.nilsson

Apr 11, 2011
Sala
Holy crap, this is nice :D
I´ve been waiting for something like this.. Now I can use sense launcher again.
have had to use ADW to get rotating homescreen, and the 5 shortcut dock..

Flashing this right away.. Great work mate.. Cudos to you ;)

Do you wan´t any feedback or reprots on bug´s and such??

Cheers..

EDIT: Isn´t there any MD5 ??

Last edited:

PowerPC

Tried. Indeed it's a decent ROM and seems lighter than Virtuous Unity. The only thing is that I like to change pcs density to 200. The only ROM works best is Virtuous unity. Only have very mionor gap in phone pad. No problem on unlock screen dialpad. Hope this ROM can eventually support 200 density.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

Sick S

Mar 7, 2011
Almaty
MD5 106B94C9FA045A4BE7D20B765D2D12AB

baltazar.nilsson, i have installed unity v3 on this rom, works fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Virtuous-2.1.png

Doubleshot

Virtuous Doubleshot is a port of the ROM from the MyTouch 4G Slide, which features a custom version of Sense 3.0. It is based on the final/official base (Doubleshot_TMOUS_1.01.531.1). The custom Sense variant featured in this ROM is called Espresso, which is quite different visually from standard Sense UI. Additionally, the MT4G Slide is a WVGA device, meaning no re-sizing was needed.
    ds1.jpg
    ds2.jpg
    ds3.jpg

• Based on the official MyTouch 4G Slide shipping ROM (Doubleshot_TMOUS_1.01.531.1).

• Native rotating Rosie (launcher) support. (DesireZ/G2 and MT4G only).

• Ported for full functionality on each supported device.

• Heavily optimized for fluid performance and usability.

• Overclocked kernels with numerous additional kernel modules.

• Built-in screen state frequency scaling (1.2Ghz-245MHz/ondemand screen-on, 806Mhz-245Mz/conservative screen-off), via custom built Virtuous_OC C daemon.

• Trackpad wake support (DesireZ/G2 and MT4G only).

• WiFi calling (T-Mobile USA only).

• Fully functional device hardware, including wifi, bluetooth, camera, camcorder, etc.

• Market-sourced applications (Gmail, Maps, Voice, etc) automatically installed on first boot into /data/app for easy removal.

• Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.

• Desire HD
    • Desire Z / T-Mobile G2

Porting Information and Credits

Virtuous Doubleshot, or any components therein, may not be ported to other devices without explicit email approval from the development team. We will be approving ports, presuming the develop of a given port is ready and willing to follow the same revision control and release processes currently employed existing devices.

• For Vision users, the DesireZ hboot is REQUIRED. I have written a guide for G2 users who need to make this transition.

• If you are experiencing random freezes and/or reboots, this is likely due to your device being incapable of handling our overclocking defaults. Download and apply this flashable patch, which will reduce the maximum CPU frequency to 1Ghz and likely eliminate this issue.

• You must complete a full wipe prior to installing this ROM the first time. We also recommend wiping between upgrades, but you are welcome to try upgrading without a wipe. However, no support will be provided if you file a bug without having wiped prior to submission.

• Disconnect your USB cable prior to the first boot, otherwise the Market apps do not install. This is because the default USB connection mode is "Disk Drive". We will resolve this issue in a future release.

(Please remember to hit the "Thanks" button if you download the ROM)​
    Code:
    v.1.0.1:
    - Initial release

Introduction to the new Overclocking Daemon

This ROM features a completely new way of Overclocking and managing screen states.

The History
    But before explaining it further, let's talk about previous solutions.
    There are several different approaches to archieve "screen-state-scaling".
    That means basically that the govenor changes if you turn the screen off and changes back to normal when turning the screen on.

This is mainly used to restrict the amount of CPU usage (the frequency in fact) during screen off. This can lead to a major battery life increase.

The solutions so far were:
    • App like SetCPU, which change automatically the govenor based on profiles
    • integrated solutions in the govenor itself

Both these solutions have major problems.

The one with a tuner app is always a little laggy right after turning on the screen because SetCPU (or any other CPU tuner) needs some time to change the govenors (up to 7 seconds). This leads mostly to major lag in the lockscreen.

The second solution is the smartass govenor. It has already a screen-state-scaling included, so it reduces the frequency when the screen turn off.
    This could be a really nice solution but it has some problems too.
    Smartass most of the time is not really stable and has problems with its frequency scaling.

State-of-the-art-solution
    So we (more precisely rmk40) thought of a better solution.
    He wrote a native C Daemon which changes the govenors instantly without any lag.

This leads to major performance improvements right after turning on the screen and in the lockscreen.

But at the moment this solution is a little bit harder to configure. We are plaing to make a GUI for this, so you get the same comfort as using SetCPU.
    Nevertheless you can even now adjust the daemon to your needs.

Be aware that the daemon only works if all CPU tuner apps are deinstalled. Otherwise it deactivates itself.
    How to adjust the daemon

The daemon is configured with 6 files in the folder /system/etc/virtuous_oc/.
    There are 3 files for the wake state and 3 for the sleep state. For each state one file for the govenor, one for the minimal frequency and one for the maximal frequency.

You can easily edit these files eg. with RootExplorer or any other app which can edit system files. So you can adjust the frequencies and the govenor for each state just like with SetCPU.

In order to get the available frequencies for the current kernel, just open your favorite terminal app and type
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    You could also use adb shell to show the frequencies on your computer.

To get the available govenors use a similar approach:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Please make sure, you are entering the right values in the daemon's config files.
    This is my small contribution for this Rom, People who like the blue color in most parts of the rom, will surely appreciate this. This zip includes %battery mod, bluecoloured icons on the notification bar, Blue overscroll glow effect, font and a Blue radar loading circle.

Download Link

If you like this Mod, just hit the Thanks button

20110708200043.jpg

By shreecse
    Great rom !
    But newest RUU for Doubleshot: Doubleshot TMOUS 1.28.531.8 (I can't deodex :eek:)

next release based on this RUU (i can :D)