Search This thread

Android-Andi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io

Slim7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unified)

[#WHATSSLIM]

Slim7 is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 7.x Nougat and offers the following original features:
  • Slim Navbar & Hardware key rebinding
    • ​Single tap action,​​ ​long press action, double tap action!-We’ve got you covered.
  • Slim Actions & Chamber of secrets
    • ​Customise your device to the fullest​​ ​-You’re a wizard!
  • SlimRecents
    • A Faster alternative to stock recents ​-Your device, your choice.
  • SlimLauncher
    • ​An​ ​Open​ ​source,​ ​feature​ ​filled​ ​launcher!​​ ​-Make yourself at home
  • Status bar customisations
    • ​Clock and Date? Battery? ​-More​ ​fun​ ​than​ ​you​ ​can​ ​shake​ ​a​ ​stick​ ​at.
[#WARRANTY]

Download:
Unified tuna Slim7
[#DLGITHUBIO]

TWRP with hardware decryption support can be found here

[#INFOSLIM]

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

[#DONATETOME]

XDA:DevDB Information
[unified] Slim7, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
Android-Andi, Ziyan, SlimRoms
Source Code: https://github.com/slimroms

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2017-04-29
Last Updated 2017-08-18

Android-Andi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
Just uploading initial build, will be up in some minutes. Initial build uploaded.
First boot takes a while because i had to disable dex-preoptimization as it caused bootloop while connecting to WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: kamilmirza

_yen_

Feb 20, 2010
Hello @Android-Andi,
first of all thank you for all you're doing to support tunas.
Here are two bugs I'm actually aware:
- green lines and artifacts previewing mpeg4 videos in gallery (just the static image, play them is OK)
- if you try to add a photo to owner profile in settings, phone reboots when saving image
Attached full boot logcat with both these bugs triggered.
Thanks again
yen

Attachments

• Slim7_official_crash.log.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 148

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
Tested on toro, working as expected. Meaning, everything works except mobile data for me. Behavior is exactly the same as Unlegacy 7, so no surprises there. I'm on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) and that complicates things sometimes. Still, I was hoping that maybe it would just magically work on Slim7. Oh well... Thanks anyway, it is a very sweet ROM!

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
It shouldn't complicate things at all

Tested on toro, working as expected. Meaning, everything works except mobile data for me. Behavior is exactly the same as Unlegacy 7, so no surprises there. I'm on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) and that complicates things sometimes. Still, I was hoping that maybe it would just magically work on Slim7. Oh well... Thanks anyway, it is a very sweet ROM!

With PP now being a VZW MVNO, it shouldn't complicate anything (as long as your are running toro hardware). I took my toro to Tracfone (a split MVNO - between T-Mobile and VZW), and went specifically to the VZW side of things (two reasons - T-Mobile has always had signal issues here - or anywhere else, and VZW has Just Plain Worked - I'm a former VZW prepaid customer). Page Plus used to be a pager AND cellular service provider - with their own towers. I'm running Slim 7 beta because I wanted an SELinux enforcing ROM that ran N on my hardware; so far, Slim 7 is the only such. Even Lineage OS 14.1 (also unofficial) dropped back and punted to permissive - not enforcing. I won't touch MM with a ten-foot pair of chopsticks because performance bites compared to N on toro.

Followup - Slim 7 is now updating apps - all 77 of them from a previous ROM. Even better, for the first time on N, SafetyNet works (nothing broke it). I ran into a solvable problem with Android Pay, though - my VISA debit card doesn't support it (Android Pay, that is); rather amusingly, it DOES support VISA Checkout. Fortunately, that means that all I need to find is a debit card that DOES support Android Pay - time to warm up my Google-fu. (As expected, the Google-fu paid off; two banks near me have multiple branches where I can apply (and even pick up) a prepaid card on the spot - PNC and Wells Fargo (AKA Stagecoach Bank), and their prepaid cards are SPECIFICALLY supported by Android Pay. Rather oddly, a whole lot of prepaid cards are specifically denied - and from BIG banks, at that - CITI and AMEX tell their prepaid clients to hold the phone/phablet/tablet and don't even bother to try their prepaid cards. In addition to PNC and Wells, Bank of America says "si" to prepaid and Android Pay - the minus (for BOfA) is that they aren't the closest bank branch - rather amusingly, the closest bank branch where I can get a prepaid card used to be, in fact, a BOfA branch - it was acquired by PNC when BOfA did "the great branch thindown" in several states - and I don't live in either North Carolina (the current HQ of BOfA) or San Francisco (the historical beginning of BOfA and, interestingly, what is now VISA USA (originally BankAmeriCard).

Last edited:
Reactions: _yen_

musical_chairs

Mar 6, 2012
With PP now being a VZW MVNO, it shouldn't complicate anything (as long as your are running toro hardware). I took my toro to Tracfone (a split MVNO - between T-Mobile and VZW), and went specifically to the VZW side of things (two reasons - T-Mobile has always had signal issues here - or anywhere else, and VZW has Just Plain Worked - I'm a former VZW prepaid customer). Page Plus used to be a pager AND cellular service provider - with their own towers.
There used to be no difference between the settings for PP and VZW, but on October 31, 2016, Page Plus switched from Verizon's APN to Tracfone's APNs. This 'should' get updated automatically in our phones., but it doesn't because something is broken between our old RIL and any version of Android newer than KitKat. So it may be possible that data could 'just work' for a standard VZW activation yet be broken for me.

I never knew PP did anything other than re-sell VZW, that is interesting.

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
There used to be no difference between the settings for PP and VZW, but on October 31, 2016, Page Plus switched from Verizon's APN to Tracfone's APNs. This 'should' get updated automatically in our phones., but it doesn't because something is broken between our old RIL and any version of Android newer than KitKat. So it may be possible that data could 'just work' for a standard VZW activation yet be broken for me.

I never knew PP did anything other than re-sell VZW, that is interesting.

I'm on the VZW half of Tracfone; hence it mattering exactly diddly. In fact, the reason it doesn't matter for me as that I use mostly wi-fi for data (as I don't exactly have a high-cap data plan with Tracfone) - instead, I use wi-fi for data. Do you have cable-TV? Check to see if your cable-TV provider has a connection to a network of hotspots. (Comcast XFINITY, Cox Communications, and Spectrum have the Hotspot Network - literally, a network of hotspots which customers of all three cable TV companies can access via login from their respective apps (available on Google Play). The Android APKs (also available for iOS devices) work on any Android device - I have Comcast's version of the app on both my phone AND my tablet - it was on my tablet first (since I've had it longer than my phone) - and my tablet is NOT a phablet. SMS and MMS can be used over wi-fi as well; you just can't use Google Hangouts (as it doesn't support wi-fi). However, Google Messenger does - which is why it's on my tablet. (Rather amusingly, VZW Message+ can be used over wi-fi as well - it's also available on Google Play - at a cost of nil.)

As far as things being broke in the transition, that's on PagePlus - not you, and not even Tracfone, either.

I came back to post yet another followup - Magisk 12 DOES work on Slim 7, as does both Masisk SU for root (and Magisk Hide, to handle SafetyNet breakage due to being rooted).:victory::victory::victory:

_yen_

Feb 20, 2010
Even better, for the first time on N, SafetyNet works (nothing broke it).
Very interesting, not only because safetynet works on @Android-Andi build but because it works also in my Slim7 home builds when it instead fails in UA7 builds. Both my builds are userdebug and uses the same UA staging kernel, so safetynet failure in UA7 seems not related to kernel or build type... any idea someone?
Sorry for OT, bye.
yen

Reactions: bamtan2

bwalter

Mar 2, 2009
LeEco Le Max 2
Thanks, the only thing I've noticed is some artifacts on the edges of the boot animation. Didn't notice them on first boot but maybe I wasn't paying close attention.

Oh, and night light doesn't work but I think that's an issue with unlegacy. Cf.lumen only works in nonroot mode as well.

Feels snappier than the Dirty Unicorn builds too.

Reactions: guest4711

geodescent

Feb 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for this Andi.
I too saw the artifacts on the boot animation, but this will serve nicely as a backup car music player.
I wouldn't be able to test mobile data until my Verizon G4 bootloops.

Nonno Cicala

Mar 7, 2016
Rome
Google Pixel 3
I'm trying Substratum. I can apply themes per-app with the FloatUI, but when I try from the main interface it fails and fc, so some important system elements cannot be themed.

EDIT: tried versions 703 and 706

Last edited:

____Mdd

Jul 26, 2016
I'm trying Substratum. I can apply themes per-app with the FloatUI, but when I try from the main interface it fails and fc, so some important system elements cannot be themed.

EDIT: tried versions 703 and 706

That's because slim roms haven't merged OMS commits AFAIK.. you will see "substratum legacy" on app, that means you can't theme system elements, or it will end in bootloop or force close failures.. theming any user apps will be fine..?

Nonno Cicala

Mar 7, 2016
Rome
Google Pixel 3
That's because slim roms haven't merged OMS commits AFAIK.. you will see "substratum legacy" on app, that means you can't theme system elements, or it will end in bootloop or force close failures.. theming any user apps will be fine..
Substratum says this ROM uses OMS7. :)
And I think it does because with the FloatUI I can change the theme per-app on the fly, without rebooting as I had to do with stock MM in the past.

Slim is missing the ThemeInterfacer. I tried to add a pre-built ThemeInterfacer.apk (v.50), it was recognised but didn't work.

____Mdd

Jul 26, 2016
Substratum says this ROM uses OMS7. :)
And I think it does because with the FloatUI I can change the theme per-app on the fly, without rebooting as I had to do with stock MM in the past.

Slim is missing the ThemeInterfacer. I tried to add a pre-built ThemeInterfacer.apk (v.50), it was recognised but didn't work.

In my case,
All overlayers got installed without any errors and without themeinterfacer, but no changes took place, nowhere, not even in user apps, in substratum app it shows "up to date" but nothing change.. then tried floating button and most of apps got themed and some system elements too (without FC or any errors)...

PS. When nothing got themed then i added interfacer and then tried floater...

Nonno Cicala

Mar 7, 2016
Rome
Google Pixel 3
In my case,
All overlayers got installed without any errors and without themeinterfacer, but no changes took place, nowhere, not even in user apps, in substratum app it shows "up to date" but nothing change..
Same here, but if you try to enable an overlay from the "Overlay list", under Utilities, Substratum will fc.
then tried floating button and most of apps got themed and some system elements too (without FC or any errors)...

PS. When nothing got themed then i added interfacer and then tried floater...
After I tried to add ThemeInterfacer Substratum detected it but couldn't install any overlay any more, so I removed it.

It seems that we see the same things. My problem was that I like black themes, so with just some system elements themed I found myself with white text on white background somewhere, and black on black somewhere else. Since FloatUI just let you set overlays for current elements I didn't know how to let it select some important missing elements. But I found a workaround for the SystemUI and QuickSettings: disable SlimRecents and use the FloatUI in the stock Recents menu! ;)
I've also been able to select Google Play Services from the Google Settings.

Now I'm satisfied with my theme. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ____Mdd

The Doctor04

Aug 18, 2012
Ann Arbor
www.discgolfscene.com
Just got this downloaded now and going to give it a spin. I am not using data, as I primarily let the kids use this device to play games, take pictures, etc. The fact that we can get the latest and great android working on a 5 year old device is just awesome. If I see any issues other that what is reported I'll post back. Big thanks!!

Reactions: Android-Andi

The Doctor04

Aug 18, 2012
Ann Arbor
www.discgolfscene.com
Had some trouble getting Google Play Services to work. Reflashed ROM and GApps, and it fired right up after that. So far everything is running as it should. I put an old Verizon sim in the phone to see if it would at least recognize Verizon, and it did. Device is very smooth and the animations are crisp/work as they should. I do notice a little bit of lag swiping up for unlocking the device, and then it takes a second to get into the device after I enter the pin. Other than that, this is pretty dope. Battery charged fairly quickly too. I'll have the rug rats put it through the paces when I get home tonight, but excellent, excellent work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Slim7
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unified)

[#WHATSSLIM]

Slim7 is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 7.x Nougat and offers the following original features:
    • Slim Navbar & Hardware key rebinding
      • ​Single tap action,​​ ​long press action, double tap action!-We’ve got you covered.
    • Slim Actions & Chamber of secrets
      • ​Customise your device to the fullest​​ ​-You’re a wizard!
    • SlimRecents
      • A Faster alternative to stock recents ​-Your device, your choice.
    • SlimLauncher
      • ​An​ ​Open​ ​source,​ ​feature​ ​filled​ ​launcher!​​ ​-Make yourself at home
    • Status bar customisations
      • ​Clock and Date? Battery? ​-More​ ​fun​ ​than​ ​you​ ​can​ ​shake​ ​a​ ​stick​ ​at.
    [#WARRANTY]

Download:
    Unified tuna Slim7
    [#DLGITHUBIO]

TWRP with hardware decryption support can be found here

[#INFOSLIM]

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

[#DONATETOME]

XDA:DevDB Information
    [unified] Slim7, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    Android-Andi, Ziyan, SlimRoms
    Source Code: https://github.com/slimroms

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2017-04-29
    Last Updated 2017-08-18
    My PC is running hot without a break today.
    Before official merge we need to test commits for 2017-11-06 security patch level and latest crowdin translations.

New build including those changes will be available later today :)

Enjoy!

Edit: build up :)
    Will be uploaded soon.

If you like to say "Thanks" you can simply hit the Thanks-Button or you can help to make my stepdaughter happy by a donation:
    I am currently saving money to buy a new sandpit for her as all playgrounds are currently closed and our current sandpit is broken everywhere...

Screenshot_20200422-080307.jpg
    New builds up with 2018-12 security patch level.

Hope everyone enjoyed the Christmas days :)

A year with, at least for me, big changes almost comes to an end. I wish everyone a good start into a healthy year 2019.
    I have uploaded a 2nd build silently which contains ffmpeg support (previous build was missing a small part). @musical_chairs yeah, i already thought Verizon still has broken mobile data here too, maybe we'll find a solution later.