• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][8.0.0][SM-N950F/FD/N]Team Pixel ROM V1.3 [26/01/2019]

Search This thread

dph314

Feb 18, 2016
Hello. Just had a quick question about the kernel, if anyone can offer any insight.

I noticed that my CPU will downclock under load (all cores) to around 2.1Ghz. I went back through the OP, noticed it used the Phantom Kernel, looked that up, and it says up to 2.7Ghz is possible. So first off all, I'm just wondering- is it normal to have it downclock to ~2Ghz despite raising the max-clock in Mtweaks to 2700mhz? Also, I was looking at the Exceed kernel. Would Pixel ROM play nice with it if I flashed that one?

Any insight would be appreciated.

v0ne

Jun 19, 2015
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hello. Just had a quick question about the kernel, if anyone can offer any insight.

I noticed that my CPU will downclock under load (all cores) to around 2.1Ghz. I went back through the OP, noticed it used the Phantom Kernel, looked that up, and it says up to 2.7Ghz is possible. So first off all, I'm just wondering- is it normal to have it downclock to ~2Ghz despite raising the max-clock in Mtweaks to 2700mhz? Also, I was looking at the Exceed kernel. Would Pixel ROM play nice with it if I flashed that one?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thats normal. Better to stay with phantom besides if you read/look closer, there are 2 version of phantom kernel (oreo), the standard one and the NFS version. Also, phantom is build both for better batterylife & performance. Exceed however is outdated but you try if you want to.

dph314

Feb 18, 2016
Thats normal. Better to stay with phantom besides if you read/look closer, there are 2 version of phantom kernel (oreo), the standard one and the NFS version. Also, phantom is build both for better batterylife & performance. Exceed however is outdated but you try if you want to.

Thank you for the reply. So you're suggesting the NFS Phantom one to specifically avoid the downclocking? I did see the NFS one when I read through the thread but it just mentioned a higher overclock, to 2.8Ghz. The normal one listed 2.7 but still downclocks when all cores are under load, so I didn't know if the NFS one would really make a difference. I'm not really looking for 2.8Ghz, more so just getting above the 2Ghz under full-load.

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
Ok so to make some sense of this, let me explain this. In Team Pixel, there are two thermal throttlers. One is a CPU Hotplug, which you can disable in MTweaks or any other kernel manager. There's another one, which isn't as easy to disable called DVFS (Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaler). This isn't as easy to disable as its not part of the ROM, but part of the actual Samsung Firmware. It is possible to manually disable it, but its complicated so look it up. But the jist of is, the CPU Hotplug, looks at the temperature and throttles CPU frequency accordingly, which is why it doesn't stay at 2.7 GHz, if the temperature rises. DVFS on the other hand looks at battery levels, and adjusts the aggressiveness of clockspeeds based on the battery level, which is why you may gain better performance for a short time in games when your plugged in and playing (It will decrease due to CPU Hotplug ofc). It is because of these two throttlers, you aren't able to hold 2.7 GHz. One of the main reasons Pixel ROM is so fluid is because it is a lot less resource intensive, so lower clock speeds don't affect performance as much.

dph314

Feb 18, 2016
Ok so to make some sense of this, let me explain this. In Team Pixel, there are two thermal throttlers. One is a CPU Hotplug, which you can disable in MTweaks or any other kernel manager. There's another one, which isn't as easy to disable called DVFS (Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaler). This isn't as easy to disable as its not part of the ROM, but part of the actual Samsung Firmware. It is possible to manually disable it, but its complicated so look it up. But the jist of is, the CPU Hotplug, looks at the temperature and throttles CPU frequency accordingly, which is why it doesn't stay at 2.7 GHz, if the temperature rises. DVFS on the other hand looks at battery levels, and adjusts the aggressiveness of clockspeeds based on the battery level, which is why you may gain better performance for a short time in games when your plugged in and playing (It will decrease due to CPU Hotplug ofc). It is because of these two throttlers, you aren't able to hold 2.7 GHz. One of the main reasons Pixel ROM is so fluid is because it is a lot less resource intensive, so lower clock speeds don't affect performance as much.

Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. Yeah I never even considered switching ROMs, definitely love Team Pixel. I just figured if I might easily have both the ROM and the extra Mhz then it was worth taking a shot at asking.

I actually came across the DVFS when I was searching, a script was posted to disable it through the init.d, but when I ran it in Mtweaks it just sat there saying "Executing..." forever so I don't think it worked. Is there a different way you're referring to or should that script be working? Tried it in Mtweaks and Kernel Auditor, got the indefinite "Executing" in both.

So, thank you again for the info. I'll test with the CPU Hotplug setting off. And if you have any advice on getting the DVFS script to run it would be appreciated.

bo_cah

Dec 11, 2012
salatiga

sorry for bothering you. i came from xiaomi mi 8, then moved to note 8. now i am using stock pie beta rom, can i flash this rom safety, which means downgrade to android oreo from pie? because i do love stock pixel rom than touchwiz. thanks before

lesangmd

Jul 27, 2008
After finished updating ROM, I restart my Note 8 but nothing seem have installed, everything is the same as previous ROM? What exactly this ROM is ?

Ravensysteam

Mar 7, 2010
Amazing ROM, has some bugs here and there (like the dialer bug, didn't know you had to set it as default manually) but the awesome battery life makes up for it. Easily 6 Hours SoT With this, a lot better than on PIE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel 1.3: Oreo Speciale!
    After months of hardwork, debloating and experimenting, I can finally present to all you lovely people on XDA, Pixel ROM. This is by far the most debloated, lightest and Pixelified ROM for the Note 8 right now. This ROM has (according to me) the best battery life for a ROM til' this day. I've spent hours upon hours on optimizing this ROM and debloated, to the point where removing anything else will break things. Here's a feature list!
    Features of Pixel ROM
    1. Google Calculator
    2. Google Phone
    3. Google Calendar
    4. GCam 8.3: Everything Working
    5. Google Chrome (Samsung Add-ons Removed)
    6. Google Clock
    7. Google Contacts
    8. Google Files GO
    9. Gallery (Modded)
    10. G-mail
    11. Google Keep
    12. Google Lens (Works in Google Photos too!)
    13. Google Maps
    14. Google Messages
    15. Eleven Music (Lineage)
    16. Soundalive and AudioFX (Lineage)
    17. Google Photos: Pixel configurations applied, unlimited storage pop up occurs but do not set to original because Google found out about this.
    18. Google Play Games
    19. LineageOS Recorder
    20. Modified Settings and removed all useless and resource consuming features.
    21. Updated AOD
    22. System UI Tuner: Change animation speeds and customize as much as you need with this
    23. Youtube
    24. Google PAY (I forgot to write this XD)
    25. Google Pixel Bootanimations
    26. Google sounds, tweaks etc. I DON'T REMEMBER THEM ALL XD
    27. Stereo Sound Mod and Values adjusted for Balance
    28. Latest GBoard
    29. Android Oreo Stock Emojis (Google Ones not Samsung Ones)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    V1.3 Changelog:
    1. Fixed Safetynet and updated Phantom Kernel to latest.
    2. Minor errors fixed.
    Friends this is the last time I'll be working on Oreo. It has been
    a pleasure, but we must move on to Pie. Thank you for all the support and a special thank you to @rohitdanda for all the help.
    I shall see you on Pixel Pie!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notes:
    1. RAM management usually idles (on first flash) at around 3.8 GB free.
    2. Total ROM size after unzipped is 2.6GB from 4.8GB STOCK!
    3. Device Maintenance was removed in exchange for Files Go and System UI tuner. To access battery stats, pull down the Quick Settings Panel and on the top right click the three bubbles button and then Button Order. Then move the new Battery and Storage icon to the Quick Settings.
    4. The only theme engine that will work with this ROM is Substratum as Samsung Themes was removed.
    5. Thanks to @ProtoDeVNan0 for the custom system UI animations! He is really epic.
    6. The latest Phantom Kernel was used and also the latest Stock base so Performance is epic.
    7. Please flash the ROM :)
    8. After first boot, make sure you restart your device once.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download the zip and download magisk.
    2. Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache
    3. Flash the zip with Magisk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bugs: 26/01/2019
    Gallery must NEVER be updated (disable autoupdate for Gallery in Play Store). If it did update and the icon become the Samsung Gallery one, goto Settings/apps/Gallery and on the top right corner there will be 3 buttons, which when clicked gives the option to uninstall updates for the app.

Youtube Review: https://youtu.be/0AFjT6wytWs
    Special thanks to Geovanny Fernandez on that

Feel free to message me on telegram via the group: https://t.me/joinchat/G-BflEMjGlgp1NeWxDA2bA
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download Link:
    https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603908357

Screenshots will be uploaded next!
    Kernel Source Code: http://ghost.com.ro/phantom-kernel/Source8.zip
    Special thanks to @Androbots and to everyone I wish
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR! Consider this my present XD!
    Also the following screenshots have an Amoled Substratum theme applied to show that theming does work!
    Finally! a google apps based rom :) Will use this until ONE UI comes out, or are you guys going to use that as well in the future? :D
    Well obviously duh XD. I will probably make version 2 with One UI and ever since Samsung changed their Ui it looks very close to stock, especially the notification panel, so I will probably do this again. Just remember though that this takes a very long time, mainly due to the amount of crapware and heavy deep debloat I have to do everytime. I've had to individually inspect and remove permissions because some apps framework still started up in the background and THAT ANNOYED ME. So everyone please hit that thanks button it really helps and also once again, Merry Xmas everyone ?
    V1.2 has just been rolled out. Make sure to check the homepage for changelog!
    Ok so since this is the last time I will post here on this forum in 2018, and before I pull a "It's been a year since we last talked" joke, I'm going to list the series of events that will take place, and the future of Pixel ROM
    1. January 1st - February 28th - You guys can message me on the telegram group of any bugs that currently exist on Pixel Oreo, and also of any new features you would like to see added (Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 Only). However, after the February 28th, my support for Pixel Oreo will drop significantly, since I will shift my focus to OneUI.
    2. March 1st - April 10th - This will be a mainly learning period for me. It will certainly take a significant amount of time for me to learn the massive amount of modification that OneUi has made, all the framework edits and the new or old bloat that was added. I will take a month of getting familiar with OneUI while also waiting the additional month for Samsung to release at least one bugfix/performance update.
    3. April 15th - April 20th - This is probably the date all of you have been looking forward for, this is the time where I will begin working on Pixel Pie V1. I will probably have a seperate thread, all new Google framework mods etc, and of course the same amount of optimization as you see now.
    Target Date of Initial Release: April 20th Midnight or April 21st Morning.
    Now things may be subject to change, and I say this because I know my patience is limited XD, so I might start working on Pixel Pie early, which if it does happen, well better for us all. But for now Pixel Oreo is where I shall stay. Thankyou all for your lovely support and I wish you a Happy New Year and a Good 2019 ahead!
    finally!!!!, i was waiting for something like to be released my note 8 because i wanted to get something close to pixel rom, and now you have released this, I'm just waiting for the screenshots because i don't wanna lose my current setup, also quick question does google pay still work?
    Yes it does. I keep forgetting stuff XD, added to thread along with some other mods I forgot. Screenshots are uploading.