• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][8.1.0][Unofficial]LineageOS 15.1[21/05/19]

Search This thread

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
How is this different to the 'Official' Build?
From October 17th onwards, the Official builds had merged N9 sources which has ridden users the chance of flashing custom kernels due to the new N9 dependency. These builds aim to backtrack that, reverting to S9(+)'s Oreo Vendor, to gain custom kernel support again. Also, the firmware source used in the 'Official' builds have become fairly antique, so it was time for a refresh and use the latest and final Oreo source (BSB1) Samsung had to give, and an upstreamed kernel of latest (almost always) ELS thanks to @Eamo5's Endurance Kernel being baked into the builds.
Aside from these factors and a few more listed below, this is the LineageOS you know and love. Although LineageOS' nightly-build system is great, there is only so much change that can happen over a night. You can expect these builds updating to cover latest Security Patch a.k.a Monthly Builds, but maybe more if a great change is required.
Simple motive: Have a solid daily driver before the Pie Tree sources are dropped.

Screenshots
If you are on the App they may instead be at the bottom of the post
Screenshot_20190504-160739_Settings.png Screenshot_20190430-125204_Settings.png Screenshot_20190504-160829_Nova_Launcher.jpg Screenshot_20190504-162524_Magisk_Manager.png
What's working:
As this build is based on the 'Official' LineageOS build, it complies with the device support requirements, which means including but not limited to these hardwares will work:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • Mobile Network (Calling, Data, etc.)
  • Audio
  • USB
  • GPS
  • NFC
  • Camera
  • Fingerprint Sensor - Noticeable speed improvement reverting to an S9(+) Vendor.
Software:
  • The build has overridden auto-generated fingerprint keys, with an official, whitelisted fingerprint from Samsung, which can also be found in MagiskHideProps. This ensures SafetyNet passes without the need for extra flashing - refer to above screenshot also.
  • F2FS Support - Instructions to switch from default ext4 to f2fs
  • Miscellaneous - Overlays:
    - Dialer - Call recording enabled. If your country is not blacklisted (for legality reasons) you should see a 'Record' button during your call.
    - Trebuchet - Notification Badges
    - Files - File Operation Dialog Box, Default Show Internal Storage
    - Settings - Default Enable Autobrightness for Night Time flashers; Default Disable Bluetooth and LED
    - SystemUI - Button to Expand Notifications; Notifications fade on dismiss
    - Snap: api v2 enabled for better quality pictures and remove green artefacts & flashing.
What's not working:
  • Samsung's own features such as Samsung Pay, KNOX, Theme Center, Game Launcher, etc. won't be ported to LineageOS. They may have their own implementation to similar functions, though.
  • Iris sensor does not work because AOSP upstream does not support that yet.
  • IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port.
  • Encryption Support as of now, exploring for a workaround (if there is one).

Bugs:
  • Lock screen shortcut - Camera: Screen flashes white, and then Camera force closes using shortcut.
    Work around: Install another app using Camera action (e.g. SnapChat) and set stock Camera to default for shortcut.
Instructions:
  1. Make sure TWRP has been installed and is functional.
  2. Download the latest build, Vendor and optionally GApps - Links found under the header below.
  3. Reboot to Recovery
  4. Wipe data and cache (required if you are not currently using LOS and are coming from OneUI or SamExp.)
  5. Install Vendor image to Vendor partition.
  6. Flash the latest build (and GApps if you downloaded it)
  7. If you are on and beyond April Patch (OneUI), do not flash a found Oreo Firmware as you will lose Baseband (Sim, Network, RIL). There is also no need to change firmware.
  8. Reboot to System.
If a new build is released, to update:
  • Downloading and flashing a later build, will automatically replace (wipe & install) the /system partiton and retain your compatible User /data partition and firewall due to LineageOS' addon.d supprort.
  • You also do not need to flash GApps again, as they too have addon.d support, backing up which GApps you have installed and holding them until after the /system partition wipe has been done.
  • Same applies to Magisk Root due to (you guessed it) addon.d support too. It holds your currently installed Modules until after the /system partition wipe has been done.
  • Therefore, due to these addon.d files surviving because of the way LineageOS.zip manipulates the wipe to the /system partition there is no need to wipe partitions manually. Just leave it to the lone flash.
  • However, do remove any system modified theme overlays (substratum) to ensure no loop on boot, which may then result needing to wipe.
Downloads:
Vendor: Included to the respective Device drives below
Samsung Galaxy S9 (G960F): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/131WWohHbpeZroYaHISBPpPnhDKYA6kj2
Samsung Galaxy S9+ (G965F): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cr-ivOdTj8lo3p9kYjGcxT1AvgFYy3M9
OpenGApps (Optional): https://opengapps.org/

Telegram Group - Handle @invisibazinga2 a.k.a Lil' G-Raf

Contributors:
Big thanks to: @jesec ; @Synt4x.93 ; @Ivan_Meler ; @Eamo5 ; please check GitHub commit history for anybody that I may have missed out, you have all been great!

ROM Information
LineageOS Source: https://github.com/LineageOS
Android Security Patch: May
Android Version: 8.1.0
Kernel Version: ELS - 4.9.xx - Endurance Kernel - Version subjected to change with ELS updates.
Device Source: https://github.com/AzzyC

Last edited:

enetzlsg

May 23, 2009
Thanks for the rom! What would be the best way of installing gcam here? I've tried installing the apk on the official build but the quality wasn't too nice. Tried to flash the libs as well and got a bootloop. Thanks for your work!!

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
Thanks for the rom! What would be the best way of installing gcam here? I've tried installing the apk on the official build but the quality wasn't too nice. Tried to flash the libs as well and got a bootloop. Thanks for your work!!
Hey man! Yeh on the official build as the vendor was N9 based, our modded S9(+) libs wouldn't be compatible. Fortunately, just before writing this reply, I flashed the lib for my device (S9) and then installed GCam and it got going nicely! There is a 4.1_fix.apk (fixed for OneUI lib) and just a regular 4.1.apk (built on Oreo lib).
Let me know how it goes man! And appreciate your compliments ?

Last edited:
Reactions: enetzlsg

Muntasir Mahmud Saif

Dec 17, 2013
the screenshots look like pie roms... clock is on left side ..i thought finally a good lineage 16 build.. yet thanks for the 15.1 build though.. ??

kmo1997

Apr 17, 2015
i came from soldier rom pie and after installing the rom according to the instruction.
full wipe, vendor image than rom and gapps and lastly the firmware.
everything boots and works but the phone doesnt detect my sim card nor the latest wifi network i was connected too. it does sees my neighbors wifi, for some reason it doesnt detect mine. i tried to change the baseband for fixing the sim card problem but no luck.
please help me/ im on s9 g960f

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
i came from soldier rom pie and after installing the rom according to the instruction.
full wipe, vendor image than rom and gapps and lastly the firmware.
everything boots and works but the phone doesnt detect my sim card nor the latest wifi network i was connected too. it does sees my neighbors wifi, for some reason it doesnt detect mine. i tried to change the baseband for fixing the sim card problem but no luck.
please help me/ im on s9 g960f
It seems as though you were on and beyond the OneUI April Patch, which in the description of the Firmware zip it clearly indicates a warning to not flash the zip. I can't say anymore than these warnings unfortunately, after that it is up to the User.

A common fix that people do, to get back to normal state, is flash the latest DevBase with all of its complementary files. The April Patch had introduced a version change from U2 to U3 which makes downgrading impossible, without side effects. Please heed to warnings more in the future. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: kmo1997

kmo1997

Apr 17, 2015
It seems as though you were on and beyond the OneUI April Patch, which in the description of the Firmware zip it clearly indicates a warning to not flash the zip. I can't say anymore than these warnings unfortunately, after that it is up to the User.

A common fix that people do, to get back to normal state, is flash the latest DevBase with all of its complementary files. The April Patch had introduced a version change from U2 to U3 which makes downgrading impossible, without side effects. Please heed to warnings more in the future. Thanks

thank you and sorry. i installed back to soldier rom with his firmware and everything works fine. but i really want to try your rom, so what firmware should i install with it?

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
thank you and sorry. i installed back to soldier rom with his firmware and everything works fine. but i really want to try your rom, so what firmware should i install with it?
Glad you're back to normal state!
Users has been able to boot and use the ROM just by installing the provided Vendor image and remaining on the same firmware. Let me know how it goes and if I can recommend other users to do the same, if they are in a similar situation. Thanks

Last edited:

kmo1997

Apr 17, 2015
Glad you're back to normal state!
If I remember correctly a User has been able to boot and use the ROM just by installing the provided Vendor image and remaining on the same firmware. Let me know how it goes and if I can recommend other users to do the same, if they are in a similar situation. Thanks and hope it works out!

yep, works like magic. thank you very much!

Muntasir Mahmud Saif

Dec 17, 2013
Hey man! Yeh on the official build as the vendor was N9 based our modded S9(+) libs wouldn't be compatible. Fortunately, just before writing this reply, I flashed the lib for my device (S9) and then installed GCam and it got going nicely! There is a 4.1_fix.apk (fixed for OneUI lib) and just a regular 4.1.apk (built on Oreo lib).
Let me know how it goes man! And appreciate your compliments ?
one ui lib didn't work out for me

LavaSnake54

Aug 20, 2018
I always noticed that oreo roms were laggy. I heard somewhere that it was a HWC bug, NOT that HWC was disabled. So... my question... does this unofficial version of lineageos lags like the other oreo roms?

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
one ui lib didn't work out for me
You tried a OneUI vendor lib, on an Oreo Vendor? Read the post again.
I always noticed that oreo roms were laggy. I heard somewhere that it was a HWC bug, NOT that HWC was disabled. So... my question... does this unofficial version of lineageos lags like the other oreo roms?
Can assure there is no lag here, but you can find out by trying of course aha! The kernel definitely smoothens out the whole experience and with decent battery (see sceenshot for example result) and HWC is active.

Last edited:
Reactions: LavaSnake54

Muntasir Mahmud Saif

Dec 17, 2013
You tried a OneUI vendor lib, on an Oreo Vendor? Read the post again.

Can assure there is no lag here, but you can find out by trying of course aha! The kernel definitely smoothens out the whole experience and with decent battery (see sceenshot for example result) and HWC is active.
one ui lib bro..i am using that lib on my one ui currently for quite a few months..

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
one ui lib bro..i am using that lib on my one ui currently for quite a few months..
I don't see what is not to grasp here, you are flashing a Pie vendor lib on an Oreo Vendor. How would that work out? Didn't think I'd have to spell it out, but you've spammed this issue across 3 posts now:

Use the Oreo modded lib (not the Pie/OneUI lib), as this ROM is based on an Oreo Vendor, and the 4.1.apk (not the 4.1_fix.apk).

Last edited:

AzzyC

Jan 6, 2017
Manchester
Hey guys!
I was doing a test run for a particular change and I thought I'd do a quick update for both devices. Starlte built just fine but I ran out of disk space when finishing star2lte so the compile failed (at 91% ?)
Not to fret, the May Security Patch has not yet been merged into LineageOS so this would have been just another build on April Patch. However, the included kernel has updated to latest of Endurance, though you can just flash Eamon's latest kernel zip to update and have the same effect.
Both devices will of course get an update when May Patch is out. Gracias bien

For starlte:
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/131WWohHbpeZroYaHISBPpPnhDKYA6kj2

Last edited:
Reactions: a_swed

Muntasir Mahmud Saif

Dec 17, 2013
I don't see what is not to grasp here, you are flashing a Pie vendor lib on an Oreo Vendor. How would that work out? Didn't think I'd have to spell it out, but you've spammed this issue across 3 posts now:

Use the Oreo modded lib (not the Pie/OneUI lib), as this ROM is based on an Oreo Vendor, and the 4.1.apk (not the 4.1_fix.apk).
sorry if i did wrong or hurt your feelings but can you please provide those two files?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How is this different to the 'Official' Build?
    From October 17th onwards, the Official builds had merged N9 sources which has ridden users the chance of flashing custom kernels due to the new N9 dependency. These builds aim to backtrack that, reverting to S9(+)'s Oreo Vendor, to gain custom kernel support again. Also, the firmware source used in the 'Official' builds have become fairly antique, so it was time for a refresh and use the latest and final Oreo source (BSB1) Samsung had to give, and an upstreamed kernel of latest (almost always) ELS thanks to @Eamo5's Endurance Kernel being baked into the builds.
    Aside from these factors and a few more listed below, this is the LineageOS you know and love. Although LineageOS' nightly-build system is great, there is only so much change that can happen over a night. You can expect these builds updating to cover latest Security Patch a.k.a Monthly Builds, but maybe more if a great change is required.
    Simple motive: Have a solid daily driver before the Pie Tree sources are dropped.

Screenshots
    If you are on the App they may instead be at the bottom of the post
    Screenshot_20190504-160739_Settings.png Screenshot_20190430-125204_Settings.png Screenshot_20190504-160829_Nova_Launcher.jpg Screenshot_20190504-162524_Magisk_Manager.png
    What's working:
    As this build is based on the 'Official' LineageOS build, it complies with the device support requirements, which means including but not limited to these hardwares will work:
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth
    • Mobile Network (Calling, Data, etc.)
    • Audio
    • USB
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Camera
    • Fingerprint Sensor - Noticeable speed improvement reverting to an S9(+) Vendor.
    Software:
    • The build has overridden auto-generated fingerprint keys, with an official, whitelisted fingerprint from Samsung, which can also be found in MagiskHideProps. This ensures SafetyNet passes without the need for extra flashing - refer to above screenshot also.
    • F2FS Support - Instructions to switch from default ext4 to f2fs
    • Miscellaneous - Overlays:
      - Dialer - Call recording enabled. If your country is not blacklisted (for legality reasons) you should see a 'Record' button during your call.
      - Trebuchet - Notification Badges
      - Files - File Operation Dialog Box, Default Show Internal Storage
      - Settings - Default Enable Autobrightness for Night Time flashers; Default Disable Bluetooth and LED
      - SystemUI - Button to Expand Notifications; Notifications fade on dismiss
      - Snap: api v2 enabled for better quality pictures and remove green artefacts & flashing.
    What's not working:
    • Samsung's own features such as Samsung Pay, KNOX, Theme Center, Game Launcher, etc. won't be ported to LineageOS. They may have their own implementation to similar functions, though.
    • Iris sensor does not work because AOSP upstream does not support that yet.
    • IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port.
    • Encryption Support as of now, exploring for a workaround (if there is one).

Bugs:
    • Lock screen shortcut - Camera: Screen flashes white, and then Camera force closes using shortcut.
      Work around: Install another app using Camera action (e.g. SnapChat) and set stock Camera to default for shortcut.
    Instructions:
    1. Make sure TWRP has been installed and is functional.
    2. Download the latest build, Vendor and optionally GApps - Links found under the header below.
    3. Reboot to Recovery
    4. Wipe data and cache (required if you are not currently using LOS and are coming from OneUI or SamExp.)
    5. Install Vendor image to Vendor partition.
    6. Flash the latest build (and GApps if you downloaded it)
    7. If you are on and beyond April Patch (OneUI), do not flash a found Oreo Firmware as you will lose Baseband (Sim, Network, RIL). There is also no need to change firmware.
    8. Reboot to System.
    If a new build is released, to update:
    • Downloading and flashing a later build, will automatically replace (wipe & install) the /system partiton and retain your compatible User /data partition and firewall due to LineageOS' addon.d supprort.
    • You also do not need to flash GApps again, as they too have addon.d support, backing up which GApps you have installed and holding them until after the /system partition wipe has been done.
    • Same applies to Magisk Root due to (you guessed it) addon.d support too. It holds your currently installed Modules until after the /system partition wipe has been done.
    • Therefore, due to these addon.d files surviving because of the way LineageOS.zip manipulates the wipe to the /system partition there is no need to wipe partitions manually. Just leave it to the lone flash.
    • However, do remove any system modified theme overlays (substratum) to ensure no loop on boot, which may then result needing to wipe.
    Downloads:
    Vendor: Included to the respective Device drives below
    Samsung Galaxy S9 (G960F): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/131WWohHbpeZroYaHISBPpPnhDKYA6kj2
    Samsung Galaxy S9+ (G965F): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cr-ivOdTj8lo3p9kYjGcxT1AvgFYy3M9
    OpenGApps (Optional): https://opengapps.org/

Telegram Group - Handle @invisibazinga2 a.k.a Lil' G-Raf

Contributors:
    Big thanks to: @jesec ; @Synt4x.93 ; @Ivan_Meler ; @Eamo5 ; please check GitHub commit history for anybody that I may have missed out, you have all been great!

ROM Information
    LineageOS Source: https://github.com/LineageOS
    Android Security Patch: May
    Android Version: 8.1.0
    Kernel Version: ELS - 4.9.xx - Endurance Kernel - Version subjected to change with ELS updates.
    Device Source: https://github.com/AzzyC
    For those of you that are still here, here is a link to a LineageOS 16 build from today:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iFcOCFCMqaMCbp-7HsH4xvbQEGRb-NLS?usp=sharing

Also, I made this super easy script for you guys to use to build your own LOS updates!
    Here are the steps on how you use the script, to build Lineage 16:
    1) Boot into a Linux OS (Debian based e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint)
    2) Open up Terminal
    3) git clone https://github.com/AzzyC/scripts.git
    ** 3b) sudo chmod +x scripts/android9.sh
    4) . scripts/android9.sh
    5) Wait for profit!

PM me for any questions. Thanks!

**Edited
    Would just like to mention, OP is not dead. In fact May Security Patch was released only a few days ago and I've been trying to build but have come across apparently a 'rare' syncing issue on my end the the interwebs or other users can't seem to relate. Strange as I built and synced fine just last week.
    Nonetheless, a good news is that I have made a script for you eager beavers that still want to use this ROM which you can find at https://github.com/AzzyC/scripts which will compile with these same trees.
    Explore around the script with its guided comments, but if you bash it at default it will compile this ROM - it's essentially what I would have otherwise done and uploaded to GDrive. Hopefully it teaches some of you guys too.

If you guys do build you should note there have been a few misc. changes, such as overlays and f2fs support but more on that when I can actually deliver the ROM update and resolve this sync issue (or check the device-common repo mainly).
    Thanks, have a good evening.
    Oreo Builds on this thread will be ceased, while test builds are running for LOS 16. To keep it light and redirect you to where you can find the builds: https://t.me/exynos9810
    Thank you for the comments and compliments, it did make it worthwhile trying this Oreo run. Hope to see you all on the other side!
    Stay open and saucy my fellows ;]
    A good friend of mine @turbolukex5 has compiled the ROM.
    Changelog 21/05/19:
    May Security Patch
    F2FS Enabled - See below for instructions
    Miscellaneous - Overlays:
    Trebuchet - Notification Badges
    Files - File Operation Dialog, Default Show Internal Storage
    Settings - Default Enable Autobrightness; Default Disable Bluetooth, LED
    SystemUI - Button to Expand Notifications; Notifications fade on dismiss

starlte:

md5:

star2lte:

md5:
    ————————————————————
    F2FS Instructions: (- Not recommended to make a filesystem change for the fun of it, make sure you recognise benefits and drawbacks)
    White Wolf F2FS TWRP 3.3.1.0

1.Flash F2FS patched TWRP by @yarpiin
    2. Make a backup of your /data partition (problems with restoring backups are solved now)
    3.Go to Wipe -> Advanced wipe select Data and Change File System to F2FS, you can do the same to Cache.
    4. Restore the backup of your /data

Follow these steps or you will lose your data.

- built on omni 9.0 branch
    - built on samsung pie kernel credits @farovitus
    - add busybox
    - fix mtp when in recovery credits @Eamo5