[ROM] [9.0.0] LineageOS 16.0 [walleye] [unofficial]

Search This thread

leqacy

Jan 25, 2019
1024px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

**** This is an unofficial ROM.. Install at your own risk! ****​

The ROM has been stable for me and I use it as a daily driver. However, if you encounter any instabilities or bugs, please do post in this thread.

Installation Instructions
First install, coming from stock
1. Before you start: Backup everything on your device before you start. You will delete all data during the installation.
2. Install the August 2019 factory image for the Pixel 2. I used Deuce's script for flashing.
3. Boot to TWRP (I used twrp-3.3.0-0)
4. Wipe data and 'Dalvik/'Art Cache' in TWRP - Wipe - Advanced Wipe
5. Install the zip and optionally install TWRP and reboot. Take note of the slot you installed the ROM to in the Reboot menu.

Upgrade to new version
1. Boot to TWRP
2. Flash the new zip that you downloaded from the links below (no need to wipe data)
3. Optionally flash TWRP
4. Reboot

What works:
Code:
Everything I have tried so far works: 
-Camera/Video
-Phone calls
-Data
-WiFi
-PTP
etc.

August 2020
ROM:
lineage-16.0-20200821-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip
MD5: see ROM link

July 2020
ROM:
lineage-16.0-20200715-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip

June 2020
ROM:
lineage-16.0-20200610-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip

Device Sources
Wahoo
Muskie

Kernel Sources
Wahoo

Code:
[B]Changelog[/B]
+ Synced with LineageOS source
+ August 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ July 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ June 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ May 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ April 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ March 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ February 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ January 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ December 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ November 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ October 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ September 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ August 01, 2019 Android security patch level

+ July 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ June 05, 2019 Android security patch level
+ New default LineageOS wallpaper

+ May 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ April 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ March 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ First release
+ February 05, 2019 Android security patch level

ROM OS Version: Linage 16.0 (Pie 9.0.0)
ROM Kernel: 4.4.116

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 16.0 [walleye], ROM for the Google Pixel 2

Contributors
leqacy
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-02-10
Last Updated 2019-02-10

Last edited:

RobertQc

May 10, 2011
Thank you for your effort. Will there ever be an official release? If not, why do they not release even a 8.1 official?

I find it strange that LineageOS has still official nightly builds for even the very old nexus, but for the pixel2 there is nothing official.

leqacy

Jan 25, 2019
Thank you for your effort. Will there ever be an official release? If not, why do they not release even a 8.1 official?

I find it strange that LineageOS has still official nightly builds for even the very old nexus, but for the pixel2 there is nothing official.

Thanks for your interest.

There will be an official release if a maintainer submits a request for an unofficial build to become official and gets accepted by LineageOS. Maintainers are people like me, who do this as a hobby, not the LineageOS team. So at some point my builds could become official, if I submit a request for review and my request gets accepted. In order to pass the review, the items on the quality control checklist need to be met. You can read more about the process on the LineageOS Website. This could be a starting point:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/device_requests.html

These are the device support requirements:
https://github.com/LineageOS/charter/blob/master/device-support-requirements.md

If you are interested in getting the Pixel 2 on the list of officially supported devices, then assisting me with the quality assurance is a great way to contribute.. Thus, I am grateful for everyone, who flashes my builds and posts feedback in this thread.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
great stuff.
personally i dont understand why people want official builds of roms, unofficial are just as good as official. they may not pass the official standards or requirements but as long as everything is working it should not be a problem.
official is just a stamp these days, people need to understand that. the code base is same for official or unofficial. Plus, official means a responsibility on people who do it for fun and for free.
heck even devices with official los members working on them (moto x4, poco f1) dont have official los builds.

Adamzapple_

Jan 11, 2019
Last edited:

leqacy

Jan 25, 2019
Any possibility that you could please compile 15.1 as well? Xposed isn't supported on Pie, and there's a PNG vulnerability looming around.

Regarding PNG vulnerabilities: These vulnerabilities exist(ed) in both LineageOS 16 and 15.1. They were patched with the February 2019 security patch. This patch is contained in my build, which is linked in the first post.

You can check for the patch level in Settings->About phone->Android version. The current status in my build is: February 5, 2019. The link directs you to the list of monthly updates. If you select February 2019 in the list, you will see the 3 PNG vulnerabilities you are referring to are already patched.

Framework

The most severe vulnerability in this section could enable a remote attacker using a specially crafted PNG file to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process.

CVE References Type Severity Updated AOSP versions
CVE-2019-1986 A-117838472 [2] RCE Critical 9
CVE-2019-1987 A-118143775 [2] RCE Critical 7.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 8.0, 8.1, 9
CVE-2019-1988 A-118372692 RCE Critical 8.0, 8.1, 9

I hope that addresses your security concern with the LineageOS 16.0 build.

Substratum and Bluetooth working!:p
The only problem I have had is with data transfer tool.

Thank you for testing. I just tested with the data transfer tool on macOS. I was able to transfer files to and from the device without any problems, after setting USB Preferences to "File Transfer".

What problems were you having exactly and on which OS?

I'll address other points in later posts.

Last edited:

Adamzapple_

Jan 11, 2019
Thank you for testing. I just tested with the data transfer tool on macOS. I was able to transfer files to and from the device without any problems, after setting USB Preferences to "File Transfer".

What problems were you having exactly and on which OS?

I'll address other points in later posts.
The transfer tool refused to respond. However I just tried it again and it worked just fine. Don't know what was happening yesterday but it refused to work at all. If I have the problem again I will provide a logcat.

bleh815

May 6, 2010
Google Pixel 7
First of all i'd like to thank you for your efforts in building this ROM and sharing your work with the community! It's really cool to have recent updates of LineageOS for the Pixel 2.

You have picked up the great work from Jorgen2009 as it seems but unlike the original thread you do not provide any details on wether if and how this ROM is dependend on a specific(?) version of the vendor partition. I assume that one has to flash Google Factory Image from february in order to use this ROM?

Furtheremore i'd like to know about what Jorgen2009 has called "the Pixel specific bits for unlimited photo upload for instance". Unsure what this means in technical detail but it's definatly something i would want to preseve when moving to this ROM. For example, the ability to install original Google Camera from PlayStore and use all of its Pixel related features seems somewhat tricky to achive. Is this solely related to GApps or is there some relation to the ROM itself? And if so, is that included here?

Last but not least about GApps itself. As i have understood from the former maintainer getting them work with this ROM was also some kind of a challenge. I'm going to install MindTheGApps on top of this so any hints are highly appreciated.

I guess i'll create some backups now and then just give it a try to migrate my device from Jorgen2009's november release to this ROM.

bleh815

May 6, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Wow, that was easy! I've successfully migrated my existing installation (almost) without loosing any data. :D

So here's what i did:

1. Install february factory image walleye-pq2a.190205.002-factory-781881b5.zip without wiping data
2. Boot into twrp 3.2.2-1 via fastboot
3. Flash lineage-16.0-20190210-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip without wiping cache nor data
4. Flash twrp-pixel2-installer-walleye-3.2.3-1.zip
5. Flash Magisk-v18.1.zip
6. Flash MindTheGapps-9.0.0-arm64-20190122_071653.zip (official MindTheGapps-9.0.0-arm64-20190203_191233.zip did not work for me probably because of this)
7. Reboot

Only a few Google apps kept force closing such as Maps, Google Camera and YouTube (i dont use any other Google Apps) but PlayStore worked right away so i simply reinstalled them. :victory:

leqacy

Jan 25, 2019
Any possibility that you could please compile 15.1 as well?
At the moment my focus is on 16.0. If there is more demand for 15.1 I may consider running a build.

First of all i'd like to thank you for your efforts in building this ROM and sharing your work with the community! It's really cool to have recent updates of LineageOS for the Pixel 2.

You have picked up the great work from Jorgen2009 as it seems but unlike the original thread you do not provide any details on wether if and how this ROM is dependend on a specific(?) version of the vendor partition. I assume that one has to flash Google Factory Image from february in order to use this ROM?
Thank you for your feedback! This is an important point and I edited the installation instructions to include this. I had February 2019 stock installed before flashing my LineageOS build, so I did not encounter any problems with regards to the vendor image, but if you have an older vendor image on your phone you may have problems, since there were some API changes lately.

Furtheremore i'd like to know about what Jorgen2009 has called "the Pixel specific bits for unlimited photo upload for instance". Unsure what this means in technical detail but it's definatly something i would want to preseve when moving to this ROM. For example, the ability to install original Google Camera from PlayStore and use all of its Pixel related features seems somewhat tricky to achive. Is this solely related to GApps or is there some relation to the ROM itself? And if so, is that included here?

So far my build does not contain the modifications from jorgen2009. I started my build on a clean plate, so in terms of modifications my build does not have a lot in common with jorgen, the LineageOS and device tree is in common, of course. My build does not contain Pixel specific modifications at the moment.

Last but not least about GApps itself. As i have understood from the former maintainer getting them work with this ROM was also some kind of a challenge. I'm going to install MindTheGApps on top of this so any hints are highly appreciated.

I went down the microG path and got GmsCore working.

Reactions: benstyle1

OrangeFlare

Mar 14, 2018
Does this contain the squeeze for assistant functionality?
I doubt it but honestly, this is the one feature that's keeping me from switching to a custom rom

Additionally what else would I lose in terms of base features or is it everything?

(Sorry I have a decent amount of experience with Lineage and Custom Roms but this is the first time I have ever been able to get a phone with an unlocked bootloader)

nolimit78

May 13, 2009
Kansas City
Does this contain the squeeze for assistant functionality?
I doubt it but honestly, this is the one feature that's keeping me from switching to a custom rom

Additionally what else would I lose in terms of base features or is it everything?

(Sorry I have a decent amount of experience with Lineage and Custom Roms but this is the first time I have ever been able to get a phone with an unlocked bootloader)

No custom ROMS support the squeeze feature. I agree with you, I can't give it up. It's too handy! :highfive:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1024px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

**** This is an unofficial ROM.. Install at your own risk! ****​

The ROM has been stable for me and I use it as a daily driver. However, if you encounter any instabilities or bugs, please do post in this thread.

Installation Instructions
    First install, coming from stock
    1. Before you start: Backup everything on your device before you start. You will delete all data during the installation.
    2. Install the August 2019 factory image for the Pixel 2. I used Deuce's script for flashing.
    3. Boot to TWRP (I used twrp-3.3.0-0)
    4. Wipe data and 'Dalvik/'Art Cache' in TWRP - Wipe - Advanced Wipe
    5. Install the zip and optionally install TWRP and reboot. Take note of the slot you installed the ROM to in the Reboot menu.

Upgrade to new version
    1. Boot to TWRP
    2. Flash the new zip that you downloaded from the links below (no need to wipe data)
    3. Optionally flash TWRP
    4. Reboot

What works:
    Code:
    Everything I have tried so far works: 
    -Camera/Video
    -Phone calls
    -Data
    -WiFi
    -PTP
    etc.

August 2020
    ROM:
    lineage-16.0-20200821-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip

July 2020
    ROM:
    lineage-16.0-20200715-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip

June 2020
    ROM:
    lineage-16.0-20200610-UNOFFICIAL-walleye.zip

Device Sources
    Wahoo
    Muskie

Kernel Sources
    Wahoo

Code:
    [B]Changelog[/B]
    + August 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ July 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ June 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ May 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ April 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ March 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ February 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ January 05, 2020 Android security patch level

+ December 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ November 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ October 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ September 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ August 01, 2019 Android security patch level

+ July 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ June 05, 2019 Android security patch level
    + New default LineageOS wallpaper

+ May 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ April 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ March 05, 2019 Android security patch level

+ First release
    + February 05, 2019 Android security patch level

ROM OS Version: Linage 16.0 (Pie 9.0.0)
    ROM Kernel: 4.4.116

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 16.0 [walleye], ROM for the Google Pixel 2

Contributors
    leqacy
    ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-02-10
    Last Updated 2019-02-10
    I figured since I'm already doing most of the work by building Lineage OS 17.1 for taimen, I might as well try and port it to walleye. Keep in mind this is untested but hopefully should work. You won't be able to keep userdata if you're coming from the OP's lineage 16.0 builds and must wipe your data before flashing. For installation steps, please refer to my taimen thread. You can download the build here. Walleye devices trees are here, and the rest are linked on my thread. Please let me know if you're successful booting :)

EDIT: New builds for walleye have been uploaded to my thread.
    I uploaded a new build with the Android security patch level for April 2019. I updated the first post with the link to the download.

Thanks for your interest.

There will be an official release if a maintainer submits a request for an unofficial build to become official and gets accepted by LineageOS. Maintainers are people like me, who do this as a hobby, not the LineageOS team. So at some point my builds could become official, if I submit a request for review and my request gets accepted. In order to pass the review, the items on the quality control checklist need to be met. You can read more about the process on the LineageOS Website. This could be a starting point:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/device_requests.html

These are the device support requirements:
    https://github.com/LineageOS/charter/blob/master/device-support-requirements.md

If you are interested in getting the Pixel 2 on the list of officially supported devices, then assisting me with the quality assurance is a great way to contribute.. Thus, I am grateful for everyone, who flashes my builds and posts feedback in this thread.