[ROM][9.0][A3FU]LineageOS 16.0 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015)

Search This thread

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
LineageOS 16.0 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015)​

Supported variants:
SM-A300FU

DISCLAIMER
Code:
#include 
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* The ROM is under developement and have some bugs.
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. By flashing this ROM, you accept this disclaimer.
*/

• LineageOS 16.0-20191129
  • Kernel 3.10.108
  • CAF LA.BR.1.2.9.1_rb1.5
  • Magisk compatible
  • MicroG ready
  • NFC disabled
  • Keymaster disabled
  • Thx to @vl_w
This TWRP recovery uses Lineage partition layout that differs from other recoveries.
Do not mix up efs/modem/apnhlos... backups with other releases.

All ROMs/Recoveries are compiled with latest LOS16 sources/toolchain.

BUGS:
No Sound (WIP - needs proper ASOC driver)
Probably the same as 15.1

2a0e1xv.jpg

LineageOS 16 for Galaxy A3 (2015)

Uploading my files elsewhere is not appreciated, if you need to upload my files, just use the links provided here. Thanks.

ROM 16.0 -> DOWNLOAD
TWRP 3.3.1 -> DOWNLOAD

Credits:
@vl_w

Sources:
https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916

Version Information:
ROM Status: Beta
ROM OS Version: 9.0 Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
ROM Firmware Required: Any Bootloader and Modem.
Based On: LineageOS 16.0

Created: 2019-11-29
Last Updated: 2019-11-29

Last edited:

klasie

Nov 16, 2019
The function of the speaker icon on the phone is meant to be to let other people participate in the conversation or to work while speaking (for example ). But if i tap on it, i cannot here anything anymore. The sound is not redirected to the speaker. Consequently I can only hear the conversation partner, if do not tap and keep the phone on my ear.

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
The driver for the speaker/amplifier is missing so it's not working at all atm. I will fix it asap.
But good to know that the phone function is otherwise working properly. Thanks for reporting.

Reactions: carlos974

bavay

Jul 18, 2018
OEM unlock required?

Hello! I'm just about to flash my Dad's A3FU with Lineageos 16 (which I use on my own phone), but something is unclear to me: there is no OEM unlock option in the dev menu. Does it means that I should not worry about it and I can simply flash anything I want (with heimdall, manually compiled because Debian's precompiled version seems to have a bug that prevents it from connecting to the phone)?
Thanks a lot!
Mathias
PS: by the way, any news on the sound routing issue for the speaker phone?

klasie

Nov 16, 2019
My A3FU hasn't got a OEM-unlock option, too (maybe it is like this in general). Never mind, just confirm "USB-Debugging". That's enough! (At least it was with me like that).
Make sure you've downloaded the OS from the link above!

Last edited:
Reactions: bavay

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
I had no OEM unlock option either and just flashed LOS without problems. That's the only thing i can tell about this.

Regarding the sound problem: The Samsung sound driver implementation is horribly outdated and doesn't work properly anymore (just affects the external speaker on the backside). The userspace part is closed source and there seems to be some kind of race condition or timing problem. What people have done on other devices with same hardware is they patched the 'mute' function (or something similar) in the closed source HAL blobs so the speaker is always on. That leads to several side effects like the speaker is always-on as well when calling and similar. It's a dirty hack and unfortunately the only thing we have currently. I do not really like that. Instead i'm going to overhaul the kernel driver. I have the new codec driver running already. The next part is to glue it all together and bring it to userspace.

Hello! I'm just about to flash my Dad's A3FU with Lineageos 16 (which I use on my own phone), but something is unclear to me: there is no OEM unlock option in the dev menu. Does it means that I should not worry about it and I can simply flash anything I want (with heimdall, manually compiled because Debian's precompiled version seems to have a bug that prevents it from connecting to the phone)?
Thanks a lot!
Mathias
PS: by the way, any news on the sound routing issue for the speaker phone?

A3FU doesn't have locked bootloader at all.. so no OEM unlock option needed :laugh:
I had no OEM unlock option either and just flashed LOS without problems. That's the only thing i can tell about this.
Jesus, even OP doesn't know that... wasted..
Good luck :laugh:

P.S.: but it will trigger knox count (aka warranty from 2015 ;) ) - useless these days :D

Last edited:

bavay

Jul 18, 2018
Great!

So, for me too the rom works great so far. But I have one more question: I've seen that SE-Linux is not enabled. Is it because this is a development rom and you need more permissions debug information, is it because of some other issues or is it related to a LineageOs misconfiguration (such as this issue)? Or in short, can I just revert the kernel boot parameter to get it to "enforced" and it would work?

Thanks a lot,
Mathias

carlos974

May 18, 2016
Saint-Denis
So, for me too the rom works great so far. But I have one more question: I've seen that SE-Linux is not enabled. Is it because this is a development rom and you need more permissions debug information, is it because of some other issues or is it related to a LineageOs misconfiguration (such as this issue)? Or in short, can I just revert the kernel boot parameter to get it to "enforced" and it would work?

Thanks a lot,
Mathias

$ sudo setenforce 1

McKay98

Jan 13, 2020
Hi!

Thank you for the ROM! am just flashing so i cannot refer to it.
May I ask when can we expect sound support and whether we get nfc?
Thanks again

Jul 20, 2017
It's not working. Needs help.

Hi. I've used TWRP 3.X and LineageOS 16.X before in my SGA300FULTE before. But other roms or recoveries didn't work. Only 2 TWRP 3.X and the LineageOS 16.X by @vl_w strangely seemed to work so I used them as daily driver. But these 2 became old and I needed new latest updated Roms and Recoveries. So I searched for new ones but found none. I'm glad when I found your this post a few days ago. Your TWRP 3.3.X is working somehow but the LineageOS 16.X isn't working. When I flash it from the Recovery and I reboot my device [ To remind you I always do full clean flash with wipe dalvik, cache, data, system and sometimes even internal storage ] it flashes and reboots and shows the Samsung stock Boot Logo/Splash Screen and the LineageOS also boots till the LineageOS boot animation. And it bootloops [ Either it keeps booting and showing boot animation forever or the screen gets dimmed with the boot animation completely freezed with the boot animation stopped ].

I was waiting for this latest TWRP 3.X and LineageOS 16.X. But It's very bad and sad thing that they're not working in my device . :( :crying: I thought I'd use them like before as daily driver. But I'm disappointed now because of this. I wish it'd work. And I wish this device SGA300FULTE had more developers working with more things and also make it Project Treble supported. I'm also trying to experiment with this to make it Project Treble supported. I'm eagerly waiting for your reply. I hope you can assist me with this. Thanks. :) :eek:

Last edited:

Beatz106

Jul 25, 2018
Hi. I've used TWRP 3.X and LineageOS 16.X before in my SGA300FULTE before. But other roms or recoveries didn't work. Only 2 TWRP 3.X and the LineageOS 16.X by @vl_w strangely seemed to work so I used them as daily driver. But these 2 became old and I needed new latest updated Roms and Recoveries. So I searched for new ones but found none. I'm glad when I found your this post a few days ago. Your TWRP 3.3.X is working somehow but the LineageOS 16.X isn't working. When I flash it from the Recovery and I reboot my device [ To remind you I always do full clean flash with wipe dalvik, cache, data, system and sometimes even internal storage ] it flashes and reboots and shows the Samsung stock Boot Logo/Splash Screen and the LineageOS also boots till the LineageOS boot animation. And it bootloops [ Either it keeps booting and showing boot animation forever or the screen gets dimmed with the boot animation completely freezed with the boot animation stopped ].

I was waiting for this latest TWRP 3.X and LineageOS 16.X. But It's very bad and sad thing that they're not working in my device . :( :crying: I thought I'd use them like before as daily driver. But I'm disappointed now because of this. I wish it'd work. And I wish this device SGA300FULTE had more developers working with more things and also make it Project Treble supported. I'm also trying to experiment with this to make it Project Treble supported. I'm eagerly waiting for your reply. I hope you can assist me with this. Thanks. :) :eek:
Alright, let's go in parts:

1) It is very likely that this build is as old as those published by @vl_w, it would not be much of being surprised the problems that this ROM brings.

2) No one, not even the one who published this ROM, has done any further research on GitHub (where development is done for the MSM8916) on what happened to development for Android 9.

3) There are already Pie builds made for some phones like Grand Prime (as expected [additional note] the weak or no development for fortuna3g or serranove) with changelogs in late 2018 or mid 2019, I don't remember exactly, Still, it was not wrong to consult at least here with some of the developers for such phones on topics related to driver compatibility mainly, as long as libraries and other components are tested in order to see if work something or not.

4) At least with a33g it is impossible to have a generic image because there is no way to create a partition from which it is required to make it work. An average developer for this model simply won't want to work on it since, equally whether or not there's a chance to have a dedicated partition, Creating such a ROM is said to be very difficult.

5) It is highly unlikely that we will have a sufficiently new Android Pie ROM available, much less for the A300FU (which in theory among all models is the one that receives the most support), the most probable but not totally certain reason (due to some mistake) is that the published changes on LineageOS are not available on the final ROM, i.e The battery icon setting.

6) There is no one capable or willing to try again the construction of a ROM (for each version of the A3, of course) with the latest updates from each repository for, In addition to discarding the theory of the old versions, to advance a little more in the mediocre development that there is, even being reporting every moment to GitHub.

7) It is believed (as I did) that a much easier way is to port a ROM ... with Brotli it is an impossible mission, with that I summarize everything.

Last edited:

Krisol

Mar 9, 2013
@DualJoe
Can we expect an update that fixes sound issue? It's basically the only thing that makes this ROM unusable, it would be great if you could manage to get around it. ;)

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
At the moment there's nothing i can do. There are too many open questions regarding the manual kernel driver implementation and the alternative method (how ppl did it in the past) with proprietary blobs and newer CAF drivers is unreliable on LOS16. It works properly on one boot and on the next it's gone.

Reactions: carlos974

carlos974

May 18, 2016
Saint-Denis
At the moment there's nothing i can do. There are too many open questions regarding the manual kernel driver implementation and the alternative method (how ppl did it in the past) with proprietary blobs and newer CAF drivers is unreliable on LOS16. It works properly on one boot and on the next it's gone.

Hi,
Thank you for the information !
Maybe try to build android 10 ;)
Have a nice day

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS 16.0 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015)​

Supported variants:
    SM-A300FU

DISCLAIMER
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * The ROM is under developement and have some bugs.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. By flashing this ROM, you accept this disclaimer.
    */

• LineageOS 16.0-20191129
    • Kernel 3.10.108
    • CAF LA.BR.1.2.9.1_rb1.5
    • Magisk compatible
    • MicroG ready
    • NFC disabled
    • Keymaster disabled
    • Thx to @vl_w
    This TWRP recovery uses Lineage partition layout that differs from other recoveries.
    Do not mix up efs/modem/apnhlos... backups with other releases.

All ROMs/Recoveries are compiled with latest LOS16 sources/toolchain.

BUGS:
    No Sound (WIP - needs proper ASOC driver)
    Probably the same as 15.1

2a0e1xv.jpg

LineageOS 16 for Galaxy A3 (2015)

Uploading my files elsewhere is not appreciated, if you need to upload my files, just use the links provided here. Thanks.

ROM 16.0 -> DOWNLOAD
    TWRP 3.3.1 -> DOWNLOAD

Credits:
    @vl_w

Sources:
    https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916

Version Information:
    ROM Status: Beta
    ROM OS Version: 9.0 Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Any Bootloader and Modem.
    Based On: LineageOS 16.0

Created: 2019-11-29
    Last Updated: 2019-11-29
    FYI !
    New Samsung Galaxy A3 series 2015 device tree : Lineage-17.1
    https://github.com/vlw/android_device_samsung_a3lte

Regarding the sound problem: The Samsung sound driver implementation is horribly outdated and doesn't work properly anymore (just affects the external speaker on the backside). The userspace part is closed source and there seems to be some kind of race condition or timing problem. What people have done on other devices with same hardware is they patched the 'mute' function (or something similar) in the closed source HAL blobs so the speaker is always on. That leads to several side effects like the speaker is always-on as well when calling and similar. It's a dirty hack and unfortunately the only thing we have currently. I do not really like that. Instead i'm going to overhaul the kernel driver. I have the new codec driver running already. The next part is to glue it all together and bring it to userspace.
    Hi !
    Works well for now :good:
    Thanks to @DualJoe
    FYI!
    Lineage-17.1 a3lte (vlw)
    Thanks to @vl_w
    This package is for device: SM-A300F,SM-A300H,SM-A300FU,a3lte,a3ltexx,a33g,a33gxx,a3ulte,a3ultexx
    https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=315246