[ROM][9.0][ LineageOS 16.0 - MediaPad M3 8.4 ][ Update 06/12/2020 ]

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's Working :
  • Touchscreen
  • Audio & Video
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • Lights
  • Internal/External Storage
  • USB/ADB/MTP/OTG
  • Off-mode Charging
  • DRM enabled ( the same Level L3 like on Stock EMUI Firmware )
  • Sensors
  • Notification light
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • RIL & LTE data connection

What's Not Working :
  • Headphone jack & voice call ( due to our older Audio hal from Android 7 )
  • Adoptable Storage
  • Camera
  • WiFi tethering
  • HW Composer not working properly : hw overlays was disabled and used GPU for screen compositing !
  • SELinux Disabled
  • Encryption

Instructions :
  • Install the new TWRP 3.3.1-1 ( needed for Android Pie/Q )
  • Reboot to TWRP 3.3.1-1
  • Perform a clean wipe for the first install
  • Flash the latest build available and gapps
  • Reboot

Downloads :

Reporting Bugs
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops and /sys/fs/pstore/dmesg-ramoops-0. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

DEV: Information

Contributors

surdu_petru
Kernel Source Code: android_kernel_huawei_btv

ROM OS Version: LineageOS 16.0 - Android Pie

Version Information
BETA

Created 2020-11-22
Last Updated 2020-12-06

Last edited:

ravedave2005

Aug 15, 2012
Very exciting news!

question: Why are you working on Android 9 instead of jumping to Android 10? (i think i saw in the other thread that you already managed to boot it up on your tablet)

Half Alive

Jun 16, 2012
Jeddah
Been using it for half a day now. I'm amazed that it's not laggy/buggy for a testing build.The build is fluid and smooth. I thought it'll random reboot every 5 minutes. No force closes or reboots until now. I might be spesking too soon though.

For rotation I used *rotation control* app from the play store and the controls are pinned in the notifications.
And Because it felt that stable I went and installed magisk and safetynet passed with the same steps explained in the Oreo thread.

Pie gestures are there for who cares about it. And you can enable A10 gestures with magisk and an app.. You can google (Android 10 gestures for android pie) and it's worth it tbh.
ofc If I encounter any bug first thing I'd do is removing magisk.

Appreciate your work man. Hope working on the Oreo builds helped a little in bringing Pie. We saw a glimpse of the huge efforts you made to bring Oreo and you keep pushing through.. Hope you're getting enough sleep n rest.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Very exciting news!

question: Why are you working on Android 9 instead of jumping to Android 10? (i think i saw in the other thread that you already managed to boot it up on your tablet)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83888223&postcount=686

Reactions: ZaeZae

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Awesome! Btw encryption is listed as not working, does this mean android adoptable storage won't work?
Yes, unfortunately it doesn't work ... I guess it's working in the same way like in LOS 15.1.

I'll spend a few days in the near future to see why it doesn't work and maybe I'll find a solution.

Been using it for half a day now. I'm amazed that it's not laggy/buggy for a testing build.The build is fluid and smooth. I thought it'll random reboot every 5 minutes. No force closes or reboots until now. I might be spesking too soon though.

For rotation I used *rotation control* app from the play store and the controls are pinned in the notifications.
And Because it felt that stable I went and installed magisk and safetynet passed with the same steps explained in the Oreo thread.

Pie gestures are there for who cares about it. And you can enable A10 gestures with magisk and an app.. You can google (Android 10 gestures for android pie) and it's worth it tbh.
ofc If I encounter any bug first thing I'd do is removing magisk.

Appreciate your work man. Hope working on the Oreo builds helped a little in bringing Pie. We saw a glimpse of the huge efforts you made to bring Oreo and you keep pushing through.. Hope you're getting enough sleep n rest.
Thank you very much for your feedback :)

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hi !

Fingerprint sensor it's also fixed right now :)

Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to activate very easily ...

Starting now to build Android 11 , Lineage OS 18 ... if I manage to boot successfully, I guess I'll abandon this project ( and also I'll skip Android 10 ) and I'll start working on the last Android !

Why Android 9 without Camera working, instead Android 11 without Camera working, right ?

Anyway, I'll keep you updated ...

Reactions: earlg100

Userusing

Sep 12, 2020
Hello,
First of all, I want to thank you for your amazing work. I really appreciate it.

Bugs in my btvdl09:

1) My bluetooth keyboard (logitech k380) connects but the tablet suddenly shuts down and boots into eRecovery. I'm having the same issue in LOS 15.1 and mentioned this issue in the thread. For LOS 15.1 I managed to resolve the issue by flashing your boot_lte_4.3.img kernel but I got the well-known wifi + bluetooth speed problem back!

The Google drive links of console-ramoops-0 and dmesg-ramoops-0 files (I don't know how to attach files to posts in threads.):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ObE1tOuG-5y50rDNMh5ZCJE6MrQP2cs8/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oi5Od8U3If28GszdlRuZ6r8FNbJ58DPK/view?usp=drivesdk

2) When I insert a flash drive, everything works fine but as soon as i unplug the flash drive, it suddenly shuts down.

The links of console-ramoops-0 and dmesg-ramoops-0 files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OskZOuvi0cc6nxI2fKNga9lamJEF5l6S/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OuHnnerAwUema7ufClNibt9XnByIIhLw/view?usp=drivesdk

3) I noticed that the display becomes snowy from time to time. It happens often under rather heavy tasks like surfing the web with 15 tabs open or installing something etc.

Below is the log file and a screenshot of the incident.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pp1CjEYiV-nvrfetfauQ1okFwsSBIEuk/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hello,
First of all, I want to thank you for your amazing work. I really appreciate it.

Bugs in my btvdl09:

1) My bluetooth keyboard (logitech k380) connects but the tablet suddenly shuts down and boots into eRecovery. I'm having the same issue in LOS 15.1 and mentioned this issue in the thread. For LOS 15.1 I managed to resolve the issue by flashing your boot_lte_4.3.img kernel but I got the well-known wifi + bluetooth speed problem back!

The Google drive links of console-ramoops-0 and dmesg-ramoops-0 files (I don't know how to attach files to posts in threads.):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ObE1tOuG-5y50rDNMh5ZCJE6MrQP2cs8/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oi5Od8U3If28GszdlRuZ6r8FNbJ58DPK/view?usp=drivesdk

2) When I insert a flash drive, everything works fine but as soon as i unplug the flash drive, it suddenly shuts down.

The links of console-ramoops-0 and dmesg-ramoops-0 files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OskZOuvi0cc6nxI2fKNga9lamJEF5l6S/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OuHnnerAwUema7ufClNibt9XnByIIhLw/view?usp=drivesdk

3) I noticed that the display becomes snowy from time to time. It happens often under rather heavy tasks like surfing the web with 15 tabs open or installing something etc.

Below is the log file and a screenshot of the incident.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pp1CjEYiV-nvrfetfauQ1okFwsSBIEuk/view?usp=drivesdk
Ok, I know your issues, unfortunately I can't do anything to fix your bluetooth keyboard.

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Did a total wipe, 9.0 nano gaaps, booted fine, restoring programs now, thanks!
OK, adoptable storage does not seem to work; formats card to 20% then reboots. Have to create partition on SD card using my PC, then format SD card to portable storage on M3 I am not able to download books using Amazon Kindle, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, won't download to main or SD Card. Other apps seem able to download OK Kindle error is 'Device Storage is Full' 19GB free on main, and 32GB free on SD Card
EDIT: And, I missed the part about the new TWRP version... time to start over.

OK, starting over, have confirmed that adopted storage still does not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: surdu_petru

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
OK, new TWRP, fresh app installations, SD Card as portable storage, same problem with Kindle (on internal storage) being able to download.

EDIT: Apparently, when Kindle was restored, it did not automatically get storage permissions. Fixed that, and now working fine!

Will now try to download a Google Maps 'offline map' to internal.

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
This is strange... gboard installs, but voice typing does not work. Have checked permissions, that's not the issue. When I try to use it, says 'initializing' then that stops and does not allow voice input.

The problem may be that I don't have 'Voice Typing' showing under setting, even though gboard is installed... maybe because I used pico gaaps? Thinking about installing a larger package...

EDIT: Downloading the Micro GAAPS package added voice typing back into the system... I've turned on all permissions for board, set Google Voice typing to 'on,' and still not working.

I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
This is strange... gboard installs, but voice typing does not work. Have checked permissions, that's not the issue. When I try to use it, says 'initializing' then that stops and does not allow voice input.

The problem may be that I don't have 'Voice Typing' showing under setting, even though gboard is installed... maybe because I used pico gaaps? Thinking about installing a larger package...

EDIT: Downloading the Micro GAAPS package added voice typing back into the system... I've turned on all permissions for board, set Google Voice typing to 'on,' and still not working.

I'm open to suggestions!

Well, on Android 9 our hal Audio ( we still using stock hal Audio from EMUI 5.x, Android 7 ) it's not fully working ... in fact wasn't working at all at beginning but I managed to find a hack to enable audio working but only partially as you can see !

Headset and also voice call on LTE devices it's not working due to this issue ... and ofcourse your related audio issues !

I'm sorry I wasn't clear from the beginning .

Reactions: friedsonjm