[ROM][9.0][OFFICIAL] Kraken Project [POTTER]

Search This thread

vbobbyer5

Jun 15, 2019
Check that you are using the latest version of the official TWRP. Maybe the file is corrupted, download it again.
i figured out the problem and have used the rom. its very smooth on the 2gb ram moto g5 plus.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Got a minor bug with screenshot edits. Says markup keeps stopping. I have attached screenshot.

Markup doesn't not work for me too.

Reactions: eduardobastier93

rgnicholas

Dec 22, 2012
the Volunteer State
Hello everyone, I have just flashed this RPM and so far it seems very smooth and stable. However, this version did not have a FM Radio app in it. (I am not complaining) Can someone suggest a Pie radio app (not a streaming app) to use? I have been using an Oreo stock build for a while and would like to move up to a good Pie version (like this one) but I do enjoy using the FM Radio chip. Thank you!

Reactions: eduardobastier93

stark1296

Mar 31, 2018
How Activate root and Superuser ?
Flash magisk please?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

This can only be solved with the help of the twrp flashable stock rom from here. After flashing this you will be able to format data in twrp which finally removes encryption. Read instructions carefully.
That's wrong mate. It isn't necessary to flash stock to decrypt. I've myself decrypted my device on a pie rom.

stark1296

Mar 31, 2018
Hello everyone, I have just flashed this RPM and so far it seems very smooth and stable. However, this version did not have a FM Radio app in it. (I am not complaining) Can someone suggest a Pie radio app (not a streaming app) to use? I have been using an Oreo stock build for a while and would like to move up to a good Pie version (like this one) but I do enjoy using the FM Radio chip. Thank you!
Well, since @eduardobastier93 hasn't mentioned anything about FM radio in his post (though he says that DTV isn't working on this ROM), I am attaching a magisk module (I created myself) for you to try. I've never tried it as my current ROM already has an FM radio app pre included.
Please do remember that this module requires 2 things to work:
1) Your device variant should support FM.
2) This ROM should support FM.

EDIT: If the module works, please do report back as I'm also looking forward to try this ROM.

Attachments

• FM-Pie.zip
    316.2 KB · Views: 18

io_gh0st

Sep 27, 2011
Colombo
Flash magisk please?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

That's wrong mate. It isn't necessary to flash stock to decrypt. I've myself decrypted my device on a pie rom.
And how did you do that? I'm on stock Oreo and I know pretty much nothing about this encryption stuff. My device doesn't ask for a password when I power it on, does it means that it is decrypted?

NeoPreacher

• Dec 4, 2012
    Bielefeld
    And how did you do that? I'm on stock Oreo and I know pretty much nothing about this encryption stuff. My device doesn't ask for a password when I power it on, does it means that it is decrypted?

if you're on full stock oreo firmware your device is encrypted by default. however, if you like to decrypt check the threads of nzpred. there you'll find many informations. i didn't know about the possibility to encrypt with a pie rom eg never read about until now.

io_gh0st

Sep 27, 2011
    Colombo
    if you're on full stock oreo firmware your device is encrypted by default. however, if you like to decrypt check the threads of nzpred. there you'll find many informations. i didn't know about the possibility to encrypt with a pie rom eg never read about until now.

Not stock at all :D Bootloader unlocked, with TWRP installed and rooted with Magisk. I didn't do anything on my own, it just worked OOB after unlocking + installing TWRP and rooting.

stark1296

Mar 31, 2018
    Not stock at all :D Bootloader unlocked, with TWRP installed and rooted with Magisk. I didn't do anything on my own, it just worked OOB after unlocking + installing TWRP and rooting.
    Well, it worked because stock ROM does support encryption. To decrypt, on your TWRP screen, select wipe, then format data (I think on bottom right), then, you will be asked to type "yes" and press enter. Do it and reboot to recovery (NOT system). Now, your /data is decrypted. Also, do remember that doing so will wipe your /data partition, INCLUDING your internal storage, which houses all your photos, videos and other media stuff. Even TWRP backups can't survive this process - they are lost, as well.
    But, if you're on stock, I see no point to decrypt your device unless you're planning to flash a pie ROM.

io_gh0st

Sep 27, 2011
    Colombo
    Well, it worked because stock ROM does support encryption. To decrypt, on your TWRP screen, select wipe, then format data (I think on bottom right), then, you will be asked to type "yes" and press enter. Do it and reboot to recovery (NOT system). Now, your /data is decrypted. Also, do remember that doing so will wipe your /data partition, INCLUDING your internal storage, which houses all your photos, videos and other media stuff. Even TWRP backups can't survive this process - they are lost, as well.
    But, if you're on stock, I see no point to decrypt your device unless you're planning to flash a pie ROM.

This is exactly what I plan on doing. I have to flash something to prevent the phone from encrypting /data again, right? Another user is giving me a hand here (https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5...emove-device-encryption-t3863586/post79878872) and he mentioned that I should flash a script to prevent this from happening again. This is where I usually get lost.

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
    CT
    This is exactly what I plan on doing. I have to flash something to prevent the phone from encrypting /data again, right? Another user is giving me a hand here (https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5...emove-device-encryption-t3863586/post79878872) and he mentioned that I should flash a script to prevent this from happening again. This is where I usually get lost.

I don't think you need the script that @Wolfcity mentioned for what you plan on doing which is installing a custom ROM. Just do the 'Wipe/Format data' procedure in TWRP as @stark1296 explained and device will remain decrypted for any Pie or Oreo custom ROMs for as long as you stay on those, and will only become encrypted again if you flash Oreo stock firmware again in future. Be sure to backup any personal data first, and afterwards immediately boot back into TWRP (not system) and install a custom ROM (and Gapps is you want them) already put onto your SD. This is all that I ever had to do and had no problems. Usually I boot once into the new ROM and do the basic setup, then go back into TWRP to install Magisk for root, others install it with the ROM so it may not matter but that is how I do it.

Reactions: stark1296

rgnicholas

Dec 22, 2012
    the Volunteer State
    Well, since @eduardobastier93 hasn't mentioned anything about FM radio in his post (though he says that DTV isn't working on this ROM), I am attaching a magisk module (I created myself) for you to try. I've never tried it as my current ROM already has an FM radio app pre included.
    Please do remember that this module requires 2 things to work:
    1) Your device variant should support FM.
    2) This ROM should support FM.

EDIT: If the module works, please do report back as I'm also looking forward to try this ROM.

Hey, maybe someone else will give it a try. I appreciate your posting a possible solution, but after several days, I decided to go back to stock oreo. For me, I can't seem to find a pie version that is as stable as I would like.

stark1296

Mar 31, 2018
    Hey, maybe someone else will give it a try. I appreciate your posting a possible solution, but after several days, I decided to go back to stock oreo. For me, I can't seem to find a pie version that is as stable as I would like.
    If that's what you want, then I suggest you to go for an Oreo custom ROM. Stock Oreo has some Network and battery issues.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
    Apr 26, 2013
    Bonn, Germany
    Moto G 2014
    Moto G5 Plus
    I don't think you need the script that @Wolfcity mentioned for what you plan on doing which is installing a custom ROM. Just do the 'Wipe/Format data' procedure in TWRP as @stark1296 explained and device will remain decrypted for any Pie or Oreo custom ROMs for as long as you stay on those, and will only become encrypted again if you flash Oreo stock firmware again in future. Be sure to backup any personal data first, and afterwards immediately boot back into TWRP (not system) and install a custom ROM (and Gapps is you want them) already put onto your SD. This is all that I ever had to do and had no problems. Usually I boot once into the new ROM and do the basic setup, then go back into TWRP to install Magisk for root, others install it with the ROM so it may not matter but that is how I do it.
    If you format /data before flashing a custom ROM you're right, the Disable_Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip isn't needed. It's just the case if you want to stay stock and/or want to root your device.
    I gave that advice for rooting a stock firmware and rooting it with magisk because magisk doesn't always do the job to force encrypting.
    You're right ,it's not needed when wiping/formatting the system for flashing a custom ROM.
    To be on the safe side the user should read the installing instructions of the ROM developer.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Reactions: stark1296

stark1296

Mar 31, 2018
    Well, I tried it myself and can confirm that FM doesn't work on this rom. The FM app installed by the module shows "currently unavailable" toast message. So, the ROM pretty much doesn't support FM (maybe DTV in known bugs does account for FM too), but the ROM is really smooth and snappy.

io_gh0st

Sep 27, 2011
    Colombo
    Well, my review after a few days using the ROM:
    - Not a single issue about performance. ROM feels snappy, device doesn't get too hot, no noticeable performance drop while game, in fact some games now are running faster than they were.
    - Video recording works maybe two times, then only work again after reboot. Trying to start a video recording will show a toast nagging about mic being used by another app. Also, sometimes on WhatsApp (didn't tried another apps that can take photos) the picture gets.. weird. Sometimes 3/4 of the picture will look like night vision goggles, and sometimes 3/4 of the picture will be black and white, while the last 1/4 will look like there is no red tone in the image. Kinda weird.
    - I don't know why, but pretty much every goddamn time i'll listen to a voice message on pretty much any app it "blocks" the screen like if I was using it on my ear: screen goes black, audio goes through the earpiece speaker, and the screen doesn't power on unless the device is locked using the power button;
    - Battery life is awesome. As far as I can tell, its the same (if not better) that it was on Oreo;
    - No issues with BT Audio. I have a Philips BT headphone and it works perfectly;
    - Haven't tested NFC, so I can't tell. Everything else that I use are working as expected, except the ones above.

Reactions: Ayax28

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      url]

Code:
       /*
       * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
       * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
       * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
       * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
       * Same statement for XDA.
       */

About:
      Our proposal is giving the best of clean Android experience, without forgetting few useful personalizations!

GApps:
      DON'T FLASH GAPPS, The OpenGApps project is already included.

What's working:
      Yours Working in the build
      Wifi
      RIL
      Mobile data
      GPS
      Camera
      Flashlight
      Camcorder
      Bluetooth
      Fingerprint reader
      NFC
      Lights
      VoLTE
      Sound / vibration
      Facelock

Known issues:
      DTV
      Encryption

Instructions:
      Download the latest build
      Reboot to recovery
      Flash the latest build
      Reboot

Special Thanks:
      LineageOS
      OpenGApps
      ViperOS
      AospExtended
      crDroid
      DirtyUnicorns

Downloads:
      * Download Kraken *

* Github Source *
      * Telegram News *
      * Telegram Chat *

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
      ROM Firmware Required: 8.x Oreo

XDA:DevDB Information
      kraken-project, ROM for the Moto G5 Plus

Contributors
      eduardobastier93, Vache
      ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
      ROM Firmware Required: 8.x Oreo
      Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-05-27
      Last Updated 2019-06-09
      Very nice rom, fast, clean, smooth.

Tested in 32/2GB. (Another rom that don't bootloops with latest/may patches) wiiiii :laugh:

To anyone interested kraken is pure AOSP.

keep rocking!
      Changelog:

= Source =

* June security patch
      * Translations updated
      * Google apps updated
      * Lawnchair updated
      * Add extended Qs
      * Add extended volume panel
      * Theming improved
      * Others fixes

= Device =

* Kernel based on new Omni kernel HMP (credits for Vache)
      * Adjusted for smoother vibrations

Note: Clean flash is required.
      This ROM is perfect! I do though because of my setup have to restart my phone every 2-3 days to shake the cobwebs out and keep it as lag free as possible. But otherwise this is the first Pie rom where I can open up Google Maps and it doesn't cause total lockup or Spotify and not have the LMK kill it when it felt like it. Or call up Assistant and not wait 2 minutes for it to come up! Running the 2/32 variant (at least delays my need to find a 3/32 X4 or 4/64 G5+ on eBay)

Will the new update make things even better (I know, clean flash)? Also, will there be at some point adding the only feature I think is missing? The ability to natively unlink ring and notification volumes?

Excellent work!
      Thanks for this awesome rom. Very stable and has the right amount of customization. It's been my daily driver for since the latest update.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone