[ROM][9.0][UNOFFICIAL] Nexus Stock for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510]

Search This thread

massivekind

Aug 10, 2012
Fantastic! I flashed BL, AP and CSC without USERDATA and it worked perfectly. In awe of your knowledge!
Thank you both very much for your time. I'll be sure not to jump into these things half-cocked in the future.

Good to hear :highfive:, no problem, I also started with not allot of knowledge. ( like everybody) :cool:

Reactions: Boots!

piro.lito

Jan 28, 2012
HEllo,

i'm still getting the "Tablet's bootloader" warning message at boot. Can this be removed?
I'm using this tablet in car and it makes the boot time to increase. Can this message be removed and also some way to speed up the boot time?

Thanks

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
i'm still getting the "Tablet's bootloader" warning message at boot. Can this be removed? I'm using this tablet in car and it makes the boot time to increase. Can this message be removed and also some way to speed up the boot time?
No, that's done entirely in the bootloader, and messing with the bootloader is very risky business (not to mention difficult, since we don't have source). One wrong move and the device is permanently bricked. All I've been able to do is reduce the warnings so that they don't sound so scary, which is just replacing bitmaps in param.bin.

piro.lito

Jan 28, 2012
No, that's done entirely in the bootloader, and messing with the bootloader is very risky business (not to mention difficult, since we don't have source). One wrong move and the device is permanently bricked. All I've been able to do is reduce the warnings so that they don't sound so scary, which is just replacing bitmaps in param.bin.

And is there also an easy way to change the boot logo?
Since i'm using the tablet as my car screen would prefer to have the logo rotate, is it possible?

piro.lito

Jan 28, 2012
Yes. You can just create a .tar of the modified param.bin and flash it with Odin. You don't even have to compress it with LZ4 or include the MD5 checksum.

Ok, i uncompressed the param.bin and edited the logo.jpg.
Then i compressed all files again with 7-zip as a .TAR File.
Opened Odin 3.14.1, started the tablet in download mode, on AP choose the param.tar file, hit START but odin just crashed/closed.
Am i doing anything wrong?

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Ok, i figured it out.
I need to compress the param.bin as tar.
It's working now.. Thanks a lot.

Hi, I have only access to the bootloader Inna t510 for a member of our congregation. It looks like it failed an ota.

Is there a stock ROM i can install?

I have a kernel length error.

I assume I need a specific build to match.

Or take a chance and go for the oldest ?

I tried the newest stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_230106.jpg
    IMG_20200620_230106.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200620_232218.jpg
    IMG_20200620_232218.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 199

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
Would not recommend this rom, at all. I used it for about four months because I was waiting for android 10 to mature and it was nothing but one headache after another. Among the many issues, the three significant ones were:

1. Changing tabs (the little square icon at the bottom) always resulted in the app resetting. For example, I'm browsing a reddit app on a specific subreddit, I'll be several pages down and either minimize it or press the square to change over, and check my gmail. When coming back to it, the reddit app would either be reset to the front page or reset to the top of the subreddit I was on.
2. About twice a week, some app would crash for reasons unknown but then it would work again. The problem was that after I either shut down or tried to restart the tablet, it was softbricked. I could hold the power button for a minute, nothing would happen. Plugging it into a charger didn't work, no response at all. It eventually turned on again after holding down volume + power but it would take forever.
3. Games would just stop responding to my touchscreen. No idea why.

This rom was poorly written, it needs to be retired. I was only using it because there was nothing else available at the time.

Last edited:

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
1. Changing tabs (the little square icon at the bottom) always resulted in the app resetting. For example, I'm browsing a reddit app on a specific subreddit, I'll be several pages down and either minimize it or press the square to change over, and check my gmail. When coming back to it, the reddit app would either be reset to the front page or reset to the top of the subreddit I was on.
This is a feature of Android. If memory is low, the OS will quit background apps and resume them when brought back to the foreground.

2. About twice a week, some app would crash for reasons unknown but then it would work again. The problem was that after I either shut down or tried to restart the tablet, it was softbricked. I could hold the power button for a minute, nothing would happen. Plugging it into a charger didn't work, no response at all. It eventually turned on again after holding down volume + power but it would take forever.
This sounds like the cold charge bug, which was fixed in March.

3. Games would just stop responding to my touchscreen. No idea why.
This is the first I've heard of any touchscreen freezing issue. I also have no idea why it would happen.

This rom was poorly written, it needs to be retired. I was only using it because there was nothing else available at the time.
There is nothing "written" in this custom ROM. It's just the latest LineageOS 16.0 GSI (which I build for @AndyYan) with OpenGApps, a tweaked Pixel Launcher layout, custom boot animation & wallpaper, and fixes for cold charge & MTP. I do, however, offer a double-your-money-back 100% satisfaction guarantee. ;)

Last edited:

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
You are aware this tablet has a very nice processor and costs a lot, right? The memory was never low, always had several hundred megabytes to spare. I could be running a 1080p movie through vlc on a network share, while downloading an nzb at 50mbps and still have room. I've switched to other roms since then and it hasn't been an issue since. Cold charge bug? No. I would be playing with something, then the tablet pukes and recovers but after I shut down or try to restart, nothing happens and it becomes a brick for a while. At no point in time did I plug anything into a charger. The other one I forgot to mention: A few times a week, usually when it crashes, the wallpaper would reset itself to stock.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
You are aware this tablet has a very nice processor and costs a lot, right?
Now you've lost all credibility. :) Only 2G of DRAM is pathetically low for an Android device released in 2019, and the Exynos 7904 processor performance is mediocre at best. This is why Samsung has only released it on ARM32 architecture. But what do you expect for a 10.1" tablet selling for < $200 USD at Target right now?

Seriously, though, if anyone else is experiencing these issues, please chime in here. I'll happily pull the plug on this custom ROM, as @riverstyxxx suggests, but I suspect that this is not a widespread problem or I would have heard from other sources.

boybill

Mar 20, 2011
St Paul
Google Pixel 4a
Now you've lost all credibility. :) Only 2G of DRAM is pathetically low for an Android device released in 2019, and the Exynos 7904 processor performance is mediocre at best. This is why Samsung has only released it on ARM32 architecture. But what do you expect for a 10.1" tablet selling for < $200 USD at Target right now?

Seriously, though, if anyone else is experiencing these issues, please chime in here. I'll happily pull the plug on this custom ROM, as @riverstyxxx suggests, but I suspect that this is not a widespread problem or I would have heard from other sources.
I use the AQ and it is fine. Not just fine, terrific.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magendanz

avalx

I have no such issues and my Tab is running very smoothly, so please don't pull the plug on this ROM. :good:

Osaka_23

Jul 13, 2013
Please don't pull this ROM!
This ROM is amazing! It has significantly the performance of my tablet. It is much speedier than Samsung's stockrom.

Thanks for putting so much time and effort into this wonderful ROM. I really appreciate your work.

Lastly, there's no pleasing some people. They don't understand you have created and maintained this ROM for free and in your time.

Yes I agree there are some minor bugs, but still a million miles better than the laggy stock ROM.

Be grateful and appreciative someone has spent then own time creating the ROM.

Jun 13, 2020
How to get Netflix and prime video to work?

After a long contemplation, I finally installed the ROM. With no doubts, it performs faster than the stock rom and feels much more polished than the samsung jittery mess.

I can't seem to get Netflix to work tho. I side loaded the latest version, it would launch fine but finally stuck on a unless loading screen when trying to play anything. anyone have solutions for it?

(For prime video, it would play fine in SD after installing Magisk without further tempering; if anyone know how to get it to stream in HD, it would be much appreciated)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    qPD09.png

In the spirit of moving custom ROM development along for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510/T515], here's one I just created based on the September 2019 Update and @AndyYan's LineageOS 16.0 GSI. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
    • The current process may require you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the November 2019 Update (T510XXS3ATB4) for the SM-T510.
    • The system is based on @AndyYan's LineageOS 16.0 GSI with the latest Stock variant from OpenGApps.
    • Boot logo and default wallpaper is from my Nexus series of custom ROMs for Android TV, and I'm using the Pixel boot animation with black background.
    • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
    • I've dialed back most of scary bootloader warnings and Knox Security branding from the boot sequence.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
    SM-T510:
    SM-T515:
    • No longer supported (since I don't have hardware for testing), but archives are posted here.

Change Log:
    20200422:
    • New private build of LineageOS GSI with April 2020 security patch.
    • Updated to T510XXS3ATB4 kernel and vendor partition (February 2020 Update)
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20200422), with private fix for Chrome issue.
    20200405:
    • Fixed Double Tap to Wake feature (enabled in Phh Treble Settings).
    • Fixed crash on first two attempts to launch Phh Treble Settings.
    • New private build of LineageOS GSI with the above fixes (#663 & #1228).
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20200404), with private fix for Chrome issue.
    20200325:
    • Switched back to Pixel Launcher updated with Nexus tablet device profiles.
    • New LineageOS GSI build of treble_a64_bvN target with March 2020 Security Update.
    • Switched to ext2simg for sparse image conversion to improve Odin compatibility and reduce download size.
    • Updated to OpenGApps 20200311. (Subsequent builds have issues.)
    20200308:
    • Charging after full shutdown will no longer hang during level-of-charge animation.
    • MTP file transfers no longer require USB Debugging to be enabled.
    • Updated to T510XXU2ASK5 kernel (November 2019 Update)
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20200307)
    20200103:
    • Updated to T510XXS2ASK1 kernel (November 2019 Update)
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20200103)
    20191109:
    • USB Debugging is enabled by default (MTP workaround)
    • SurfaceFlinger optimization to improve scrolling performance
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20191109)
    • Now building TWRP update (.zip file)
    20190922:
    • Switched from AOSP base to LineageOS.
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20191022)
    20190921:
    • Updated to T510XXU2ASI4 kernel and TWRP v3.3.1-5..
    20190909:
    • Scoped MTP fix more tightly, preventing charging cap at 79%.
    20190906:
    • Fixed MTP support, so you can now transfer files easily via USB.
    20190828:
    • Google Play Protect now plays nice. You no longer have to register your GSF ID. (Thanks, @phhusson!)
    • Removed DeviceID app, since it's now unneeded.
    20190825:
    20190810:
    20190629:

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • When TWRP launches, wipe data if installing for first time. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Reboot to system
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @AndyYan and @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show them some love here and here!
    Another new release today, fixing a couple of chronic bugs in the GSI.

Change Log:
    20200405:
    • Fixed Double Tap to Wake feature (enabled in Phh Treble Settings).
    • Fixed crash on first two attempts to launch Phh Treble Settings.
    • New private build of LineageOS GSI with the above fixes (#663 & #1228).
    • Updated to latest OpenGApps (20200404), with private fix for Chrome issue.

Note that the fixes require a clean install to take effect, since one element is implemented in rw-system.sh...which only runs on initial boot.
    will there be a new release coming?
    Yes, I'm trying to build an unofficial LineageOS 16.0 release, but am struggling with some build issues. The primary goal is to deal with the Play Protect device certification (but I definitely won't pass SafetyNet). Eventually, I'll also get to fixing MTP.
    Quick survey: I have Android 10 running on my SM-T510 now, and it's really quite usable. Would folks prefer to stick to Android Pie or live on the edge?
    New build (20190810) posted today, based on @phhusson's AOSP 9.0 v117 with the August security update and a bunch of fixes for Samsung devices. If you already have 20190629 installed, you can just unpack the system image and flash it in TWRP. No factory reset needed.