[ROM][A11] Evolution X 5.3 for Xiaomi Mi 8 [OFFICIAL]

Debty

Mar 6, 2015
Hi all,

Yesterday I pulled the trigger.
Replaced my battery in my Mi8 and thought I will do a clean install of a ROM to have the maximum "new" experience.

So I did :
Edit: 0. Replaced phones battery
1. Unlock my bootloader (and therefore wipe my phone)
2. Install TWRP
3. Wiped all caches, factory reset, etc.
4. Installed EvolutionX_5.3_dipper-11-20210121-1612-OFFICIAL.zip
5. Installed magisk.zip (forgot version)
6. Restored from Google account
7. Calibrated my battery
7.1. let phone turn itself out at 0%
7.2. charge while off up to 100%

That's it.

The ROM is so f**** smooth but my battery life is worse than ever :(
10% every hour with max 2h SOT
No specific app is recognizes it just empties itself :(

Did I do somewhere something wrong?
Would love to keep this ROM, love the features and feeling.

Maybe you guys can help me here, would appreciate!

Irish_Dude

Dec 18, 2013
Hey guys

We still have to use twrp-3.4.0-10-dipper-mauronofrio for decryption to be possible with this ROM?

Reason I ask is that I am currently using orange fox 10.1 which has always been rock solid for me?

Would appreciate your input Dark Angel

DarkAngelGR

Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2017
Athens
Hey guys

We still have to use twrp-3.4.0-10-dipper-mauronofrio for decryption to be possible with this ROM?

Reason I ask is that I am currently using orange fox 10.1 which has always been rock solid for me?

Would appreciate your input Dark Angel
If you want decryption working, then you will need TWRP 3.5, OFRP afaik doesn't support decryption for now.

DarkAngelGR

Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2017
Athens
Hi all,

Yesterday I pulled the trigger.
Replaced my battery in my Mi8 and thought I will do a clean install of a ROM to have the maximum "new" experience.

So I did :
Edit: 0. Replaced phones battery
1. Unlock my bootloader (and therefore wipe my phone)
2. Install TWRP
3. Wiped all caches, factory reset, etc.
4. Installed EvolutionX_5.3_dipper-11-20210121-1612-OFFICIAL.zip
5. Installed magisk.zip (forgot version)
6. Restored from Google account
7. Calibrated my battery
7.1. let phone turn itself out at 0%
7.2. charge while off up to 100%

That's it.

The ROM is so f**** smooth but my battery life is worse than ever :(
10% every hour with max 2h SOT
No specific app is recognizes it just empties itself :(

Did I do somewhere something wrong?
Would love to keep this ROM, love the features and feeling.

Maybe you guys can help me here, would appreciate!
The battery could be faulty, or the calibration wasn't correct. Also check if you bought the correct type of battery.

Debty

Mar 6, 2015
If I remember correctly, official batteries may have degraded as they are quite old. Although I am not sure since I never changed battery
No prob, it was from 09/20 production date, so pretty new.

Any idea how I can check for battery drain?
You think restoring from Google account was any problem?

When I last installed custom roms on my oneplus one, there was the thing that you had to wait some days until everything gets normal (never understood), still the case?

DarkAngelGR

Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2017
Athens
No prob, it was from 09/20 production date, so pretty new.

Any idea how I can check for battery drain?
You think restoring from Google account was any problem?

When I last installed custom roms on my oneplus one, there was the thing that you had to wait some days until everything gets normal (never understood), still the case?
As I said before I haven't replaced batteries on any of my phones, so I don't know much. You could also wait for a few days and see how it goes

nerot_ud

Jul 9, 2018
Tver region
I flashed somehow EvolutionX_5.3_dipper-11-20210108-1941-OFFICIAL. I could not configure the APN point in it. When entering the APN setup menu, I get the error "this user cannot change the access point settings." I press +, fill in the name and access point and press "ok", then after three points "Save". After these steps, a new APN point does not appear. When I try to add an APN again, I get a Settings app error report. Did you fix this in EvolutionX_5.3_dipper-11-20210121-1612-OFFICIAL?

freeman94

Jul 2, 2011
Tarnów
And One more question, about Always on Display, as it works nice but there is missing scheduler, with the time options for it automatic turn on/off on time, as its useless over night and eat battery massivly.
So, I would like to anwser to myself and help others, with AOD.
After searching all the phone settings I did find official way to make AOD auto on/off on specific time.
You need to go into settings of digital wellbeing in settings and after getting there in the top right corner 3 dots
click "beta program" and register + update the app.
After update launch the digital wellbeing one more time and you will see in the "Night Mode" additional option in the "adjust" with dimming the screen or something like that, I have UI set to Polish, so it might write differently, but u can get the point.

gogocar62

Aug 30, 2017
So, I would like to anwser to myself and help others, with AOD.
After searching all the phone settings I did find official way to make AOD auto on/off on specific time.
You need to go into settings of digital wellbeing in settings and after getting there in the top right corner 3 dots
click "beta program" and register + update the app.
After update launch the digital wellbeing one more time and you will see in the "Night Mode" additional option in the "adjust" with dimming the screen or something like that, I have UI set to Polish, so it might write differently, but u can get the point.
thank you, it works

Last edited:
Reactions: freeman94

xdamami

Oct 21, 2013
Antalya
Almost year ago bought New battery from Aliexpress.
Battery life is awesome on this rom sure!!!
Specially deep sleep almost not using battery!
Thanks dev!
Screenshot_20210123-221341.png
Screenshot_20210123-221358.png

luigir-it

Oct 8, 2016
Hello. Yesterday I installed the rom. So far, almost everything went smooth.
Here are the small issues I encountered:
1) the record icon at the bottom left of the lock screen doesn't work
2) Personal Safety app doesn't work (there is an issue with Google Maps). But this problem was also present in PE A10
3) The option "Show ambient music wicker" has a sub-option Centered (under the cLock). Is capital L on purpose :ROFLMAO:?
4) If I cover the proximity sensors, an annoying "Long press power to interact" appears (if pocket mode is on). Is there a way to just disable ambient display when proximity sensors is covered?
5) There were few random reboots. Two of them, one or two minutes after manually rebooting the phone
6) When I type, two icons appears at the bottom of the keyboard, one for changing the keyboard and the other one to hide it. Is there a way to hide those icons which take useful screen space?
7) Edge lighting doesn't work
8) Blur in "Media cover art filter", under Lock screen setting, doesn't work.

If this is interesting, can you implement a tap on the back gesture on this rom?

There were no problems with battery / apn as other users mentioned

Can anyone suggest a good GCAM for this rom?

Reactions: Speedo1320
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone