EOL - [ROM][A11][H870|H870DS|H872|US997] LineageOS 18.1 for LG G6 with microG support [UNOFFICIAL]

Search This thread

spinx77

Apr 5, 2021
Hello, thank you very much for this ROM. It's really nice that you support this device. Yesterday I installed the rom as described (over stock Nougat which was previously flashed with LGUP) and everything works great.

Is it safe to install Magisk when the ROM was already used for a while? Can I flash with Skyhawk recovery?

Last edited:

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Hello,

I just installed the lastest rom on my LG G6 H870 and everything seems to be ok. It's just when I want to install magisk from recovery, it says it cannot mount /vendor partition. Any idea where this can come from ?

- Make sure you are running the recovery stated in the OP
- Use the ZIP from the TG group and flash it through recovery

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Hello, thank you very much for this ROM. It's really nice that you support this device. Yesterday I installed the rom as described (over stock Nougat which was previously flashed with LGUP) and everything works great.

Is it safe to install Magisk when the ROM was already used for a while? Can I flash with Skyhawk recovery?

If you flashed the rom on top of Nougat you'll need to update your bootloader or some things will not work (such as fingerprint reader).

It is safe to flash Magisk at any moment. I recommend using the ZIP posted in the G6 Telegram group.

More info about both things in the first post of this thread.

Reactions: spinx77

pococos

Jul 31, 2019
Glad that new camera blobs fixed your app issue.

Just clean flashed my second G6 and I can confirm IG reels are working fine.

Clean flashing is also recommended to get the best possible battery life. Takes a couple of days to reach the best performance tho.
I will proceed to a clean flash and avoid Nikk Gapp and replace them by Roar Gapps :)
Thanks for the advice.

Regarding battery life, I guess that my LG G6 won't have a great one again due to it's wear, years of charging my phone every night ^^"

Reactions: bernardobas

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
New LineageOS 18.1 (A11) build available for H870 - H870DS - H872 - US997

Build date
08/04/2021

Lineage changes
· April security patch

Device changes
· Increased mic input level for regular phone calls
· ZRAM enabled
· Various camera optimizations

>> Builds for all LG G6 variants <<

For those already running Lineage 18.1 with Roar Gapps who prefer dirty flashing: first wipe dalvik, system, cache and then flash ROM, Gapps & Trash Remover (optional), Roar Gapps, Magisk (optional). Additional links are listed in the first post of this thread.

pococos

Jul 31, 2019
Hello

The last release really had a good impact on smoothness / battery life / temperature.

Zram seems to have a real impact!

Thanks

bebr

Feb 19, 2008

Oreo or Pie bootloader required
Bootloaders for all LG G6 variants

Android 11 recovery required
Other older recoveries may not be fully compatible with Android 11
SkyHawk Recovery Project

Instructions
- Clean flash is mandatory
- Backup everything
- Update your recovery (otherwise flashing Android 11 based roms will fail). It's a flasheable ZIP, no need to unzip
- Update your bootloader (fingerprint reader doesn't work with old bootloaders)
- Download the latest build and Roar Gapps (Mini Me package is highly recommended)
- Reboot to recovery
- Wipe system, data, cache, dalvik
- Flash the latest build and Roar Gapps (Mini Me highly recommended)
- Magisk (optional)
- Reboot and enjoy
Is it just me who has experience with a handful of cyanogen mod and lineage-OS installs and still has to spend hours every time again to get a new phone running?
In other words, the Android modding community is still a fascinating sociologic phenomenon.

This time it was a LG G6, with stock Android 10 installed.
LG forces you to accept multiple regulations that "statistic" data is send to them - more than the one that Google asks. This is e-v-i-l so you want a new OS without LG bloatware.
The lineage OS wiki says there is no official port - so I was happy to find this thread.

>> What does our master mean with "Clean flash is mandatory"? <<

Finally I succeeded with these steps:
1- adb / fastboot as well as LG drivers were installed on the Windows 10 Laptop
2- Stock LG Bootloader prevents flashing new ROMs and has to be unlocked:
>> https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev
>> Setup an account at LG as developer, send IMEI and Device-ID, get Email
>> fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin > success
- "Update your bootloader" was not neccessary (because G6 was already running And.11)
3- A TWRP recovery image has to be installed (stock G6 recovery does not suffice)
Lesson learned: SkyHawk Recovery Project is just a UI on top of TWRP !
BUT: "It's a flasheable ZIP, no need to unzip" is wrong > error "image is not a boot image"
> The recovery.img file has to be extracted manually out of SHRP_v2.3.2_h870-233920072020.zip
Then:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase cache .. reboot

4- Boot into Sky Hawk TWRP:
vol-down + Power buttons, Logo appears > Power button relased for 1 sec
5- Sky Hawk > Wipe data, cache, davlik > Ok
Advanced > sideload
6- On the PC connected via USB:
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210408-UNOFFICIAL-h870.zip
after success: advanced > sideload again:
adb sideload RoarTheGapps_MINI-ME_20210407.zip
7- reboot > Lineage OS Logo appears - puhh

Took me the half day and I missed the MotoGP race .. f**k !

Last edited:

placidns11

Jun 7, 2018
First of all thanks to dev for updates. I've using the rom for a month or more now. Most functions work just great for me. Here are some things I've noticed that affect my daily use the most.
The Bluetooth on my car lincoln mkz 2017 has never had any problems in the past connecting when I turn on the car. With Android 11 it will not auto connect unless I wake up my phone screen. Not sure if is it an Android 11 feature change or if the rom is making this happen. The other thing that goes along with that is the Ford/lincoln Alexa app for android. It always was able to use the app once the Bluetooth is connected. Now I have to manually open the app on the phone before the car can detect that it's available. Anyone else see any thing like this on their end with bluetooth.??
The last thing that happens commonly is when I unlock my phone the screen will freeze up for about 5 to up to 10 seconds, before it allows me to move or do anything. Many times after this happens I'll get a system UI has stopped responding error. The phone works fine after the time passes in the error is cleared

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Is it just me who has experience with a handful of cyanogen mod and lineage-OS installs and still has to spend hours every time again to get a new phone running?
In other words, the Android modding community is still a fascinating sociologic phenomenon.

LG forces you to accept multiple regulations that "statistic" data is send to them - more than the one that Google asks. This is e-v-i-l so you want a new OS without LG bloatware.
The lineage OS wiki says there is no official port - so I was happy to find this thread.

- "Update your bootloader" was not neccessary (because G6 was already running And.11)
3- A TWRP recovery image has to be installed (stock G6 recovery does not suffice)
BUT: "It's a flasheable ZIP, no need to unzip" is wrong > error "image is not a boot image"
> The recovery.img file has to be extracted manually out of SHRP_v2.3.2_h870-233920072020.zip
Then:

Advanced > sideload

Well, you made things in the most twisted way. So when you asume some op step is wrrong, it's because of that.

There is a lot of info about how to unlock and flash a new recovery (xda, Telegram). Next time take the time to Google a bit and it will take you about an hour like any other human being. And you won't miss your race or whatever.

Good luck

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
First of all thanks to dev for updates. I've using the rom for a month or more now. Most functions work just great for me. Here are some things I've noticed that affect my daily use the most.
The Bluetooth on my car lincoln mkz 2017 has never had any problems in the past connecting when I turn on the car. With Android 11 it will not auto connect unless I wake up my phone screen. Not sure if is it an Android 11 feature change or if the rom is making this happen. The other thing that goes along with that is the Ford/lincoln Alexa app for android. It always was able to use the app once the Bluetooth is connected. Now I have to manually open the app on the phone before the car can detect that it's available. Anyone else see any thing like this on their end with bluetooth.??
The last thing that happens commonly is when I unlock my phone the screen will freeze up for about 5 to up to 10 seconds, before it allows me to move or do anything. Many times after this happens I'll get a system UI has stopped responding error. The phone works fine after the time passes in the error is cleared

BT usually tries to reconnect to the last connected device, but yeah it has to be improved.

For the frozen screen issue, I recommend doing a clean flash and using the gapps stated on the first post of this thread. I have zero lag with that.

bebr

Feb 19, 2008
Well, you made things in the most twisted way.
Oha, so what could one just leave out?
There is a lot of info about how to unlock and flash a new recovery (xda, Telegram). Next time take the time to Google a bit and it will take you about an hour like any other human being. And you won't miss your race or whatever.
Why not write precisely the neccessary steps in one post, or wiki page?
Unlocking worked fine, as I did this before for a G5.
What took my time was sorting out the relation between "Recovery" (not the OS-image, the application), TWRP and Sky Hawk; plus the bootloader question.
Clearer wording would help - for people who do not happen to practice Android-modding as their main hobby.

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Why not write precisely the neccessary steps in one post, or wiki page?
Because there are specific threads for each variant such as this for H872 which is my device (and I can test / write about): https://xdaforums.com/t/root-flash-...for-lg-g6-h872-20g-original-firmware.4201125/

Lineage wiki is for officially supported devices and is edited by Lineage team members.

Clearer wording is indeed present on those other places you should seek before starting with the process. That will save you time and avoid the risk of bricking your phone.

Edit: fyi this is the thread you should have read for unlocking and installing a custom recovery your variant: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-offic...urrently-supported-eu-h870-usa-us997.3614719/

Last edited:

samlibardi

Mar 26, 2021

Then:

Advanced > sideload

To be honest I have little experience on messing with custom ROMs, this being the second time I ever flashed a custom ROM, the other being some Samsung tablet a few years ago. I didn't find this too hard, and about 80% of the wasted time was caused by dumb LG shenanigans like the locked bootloader and their USB driver refusing to detect my phone while in fastboot. As soon as I got to boot into TWRP, everything else was a breeze when I followed the instructions strictly.

placidns11

Jun 7, 2018
One other thing about the Rom and android 11 I have been trying to figure out myself but having no luck. When I am using LTE and moving about my city it seems the text/calling portion has issues. The phone shows LTE signal being full but I lose the ability to make calls and get texts. It seems to be a signal issue with LTE and voice portion. At my own house it almost never allows me to get calls/texts, yet the data works perfectly fine(wifi is off). The solution I have been using is to go into settings-network and internet-mobile network-preferred network type.. Then I choose any settings there that Dont have LTE. Within seconds the LTE changes to 3g/UMTS/EDGE or HSPA+ and I can get calls and texts right away, but slow data of course. I have been trying to use programs like "Network Cell Info lite" and "LTE discovery" to see what service is being used but I dont really understand what to look for as far as LTE data vs LTE voice(?) and what the connections are.
When I have LTE enabled, using the program i see LTE and GSM graphs but GSM says N/A. When LTE is off, the GSM graph portion now shows HSPA+ and has signal(dBm), and my texts and calls start working again....
Maybe I need a way to force LTE and HSPA at the same time? is this possible, or does that not make any sense??
Any help or thoughts would be great!! I also see things is those programs that say (Voice is LTE) but doesnt this ROM have volte disabled, is that the same??
I have Mint Mobile as my provider( this all worked just fine with stock rom 21E) a few months ago)

Last edited:

placidns11

Jun 7, 2018
BT usually tries to reconnect to the last connected device, but yeah it has to be improved.

For the frozen screen issue, I recommend doing a clean flash and using the gapps stated on the first post of this thread. I have zero lag with that.
I will give that a clean install again some point, I dirty flashed the latest update a week ago, issue was happening prior to that! But I have using roarthegapps and Magisk v22. Thanks again for the work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

What's working?
    WiFi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    Fingerprint reader
    NFC
    Flashlight
    Sound
    Vibration
    microG support

Known issues
    - VoLTE doesn't work. LG uses a proprietary implementation of VoLTE that is not compliant with AOSP. Fixable? Probably not.
    - Encryption doesn't work

Bug reporting
    If you want to report bugs, please always indicate device variant, Gapps package, Magisk version and Magisk modules installed.

Prerequisites
    Your device must be unlocked and running a custom recovery. Click here if your variant is H870 or US997 and here for H872.

Oreo or Pie bootloader required
    H870: if you are running the latest Stock Pie, there's no need to update your bootloader.
    US997 and H872: if you are running the latest Stock Oreo, there's no need to update your bootloader.
    In case you aren't running those stock versions, you'll need to update your bootloader by flashing the right one for your variant.
    Bootloaders for all LG G6 variants

Android 11 recovery required
    After you unlocked your bootloader and flashed the suggested TWRP version for that specific purpose, you'll need to upgrade your recovery to have A11 support. Old recoveries will not fully work with Android 11.
    TWRP for all LG G6 variiants

Instructions
    - Clean flash is mandatory
    - Backup everything
    - Unlock your device and install TWRP following the prerequisites guides above
    - Update your recovery to the lastest TWRP
    - Update your bootloader if needed (fingerprint reader doesn't work with old bootloaders)
    - Download the latest build and Roar Gapps (only main package, flashing other addons will cause issues)
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Wipe system, data, cache, dalvik
    - Flash the latest build and Roar Gapps Mini Me
    - Magisk (optional)
    - Reboot and enjoy

Downloads
    LineageOS for all LG G6 variants

Debloated builds
    You can flash Gapps & Trash Remover by Cheewaca. All these apps will be removed: AudioFX, Camera2, Contacts, DeskClock, Dialer, Eleven, Email, Etar, ExactCalculator, Exchange, Gallery2, Jelly, Messaging, Recorder, Snap, Updater.

The order for flashing is: ROM + Gapps & Trash Remover + Gapps + Magisk.

You can get the remover here: https://t.me/Gapps_Trash_Remover

Stay up to date
    LG G6 LineageOS Telegram group
    LG G6 Releases

Sources
    LineageOS
    Devices tree and kernel

Thanks
    Thanks to @-Androider- for sharing his work as the previous maintainer. And special thanks to @TheWolfSVK, @dom133 and Cheewaca who are the real brains behind this (sorry if I forgot about someone).

-
    BSG GCam 8.1 (best camera choice)

Our BSG friends are doing an amazing job releasing new versions almost every week.

The below recommended version has been tested and works fine but feel free to download any other.

>> Download recommended MGC_8.1.101_A9_PVs_libs_Eng <<
    · Includes XML config and 3rd party gallery support (among other features).
    · 1/8 slow motion doesn't work but 1/4 works fine.
    · Logging disabled
    · Runs smoother than other builds

BSG Telegram Channel
    New LineageOS 18.1 (A11) build available for H870 - H870DS - H872 - US997

Build date
    14/06/2021

Lineage changes
    · June security patch
    · More fixes and optimizations

>> Builds for all LG G6 variants <<

For those already running Lineage 18.1 with Roar Gapps who prefer dirty flashing: first wipe dalvik, system, cache and then flash ROM, Gapps & Trash Remover (optional), Roar Gapps, Magisk (optional). Additional links are listed in the first post of this thread.
    New LineageOS 17.1 builds available for H870 - H870DS - H872 - US997

Build date: 10/08/2020

Changelog:

LineageOS Changes:
    - Android 10.0.0 Release 41
    - New security patch level: 05.08.2020
    - VolumeDialog: Redo expanded volume panel
    - Add APN for Telefonica
    - Calendar: Make use of system theme setting on android 10 (#715)
    - DeskClock: Fix alarm clock screen show black when screen locked
    - Messaging: fix launch screen status bar color
    - Dialer: Fix launch screen status bar color
    - Upstream updates, enhancements and fixes

Device Changes:
    · Removed AudioFX to avoid random reboots while playing video

Kernel Changes:
    · Update WireGuard to version 1.0.20200729

Random reboots while playing video are fixed.

>> Downloads for all LG G6 variants <<
    does H870DS unlock bootloader available?

How is It possible to install this ROM on H870DS? Is It possible to unlock its bootloader now?

Some users got the bin file for unlocking directly from LG. You should join this TG group to get the exact procedure: https://t.me/LGG6BootloaderExploit