[ROM] [A12] Official ColorOS 12 Open Beta from OnePlus

Search This thread

infected_

Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2008
OnePlus 8
Stable ColorOS 12 for the 8 series is out!

Screenshot_2022-03-18-09-52-33-93_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
Screenshot_2022-03-18-09-52-33-93_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg

Bastienhere

Oct 24, 2015
So here are some points of my experience with stable ColorOS 12 so far (coming from OOS11):

All in all it's usable and battery performance is really good. But its vastly different from OxygenOS, and to be frank I didn't expect the shortcomings of ColorOS 12 to put me off (The UI appealed to me though).

Bugs or annoying things I encountered so far:

1. Edge Lighting notification doesn't work most of the time, unsure of how to fix it. Eventually, I get notifications (haptics and sound) but no edge lighting. The only way to know what notification I get is if I enable wake screen when receiving notification.

2. No notification icons on Always-On Display, sometimes it shows, most times it doesn't. Also there's no tap screen to glance at always-on (if you have Always-On to show only for a few seconds) like you can on OOS11.

3. Past notifications are not shown on lockscreen (only new ones will appear).

4. Notifications in general are intermittent - you need to really dig in and tinkle with individual app settings to receive notifications as you should (ex: for each app, allow background activity, allow notification, no battery optimisation, no data saving).

5. Chinese bloats, some you can uninstall or disable, but it's bloated.

6. No google feed when swiping left on Home Screen.

7. Can't rename apps/change individual icon themes on stock launcher.

8. Hiding apps on ColorOS12 is very different, it hides the entire app from the launcher. So say you have a widget you want to use but you want to hide its homescreen icon; you can't, as hiding apps pretty much prevents the use of that widget and put them in a type of sleep/restricted mode until you access hidden apps (through a dial code). Probably no notifications allowed for hidden apps as well.

8. Say you disable your wifi/data before bed, when you wake up and enable these again, notifications are mostly likely not pushed (even with power saving mode off). So you literally have to open the apps you think you might get notifications to check.

9. Auto brightness control on some custom control apps (eg: super status bar) won't work, but that might be A12 and not ColorOS12.

10. Some Chinese text (ex: in game assistant, theme store, and Music app).

Now the good things about ColorOS12:

1. Very snappy and fast, bit laggy at the start but it seems to get better and smoother as I use it, apps launch faster than on OOS11.

2. I couldn't get 5G to work on my phone on OOS, but ColorOS12 somehow fixed it on my OnePlus 8, lol.

3. The on-screen fingerprint unlock feels much faster.

4. I like the theming and customisation options (in terms of colour UI and always-on).

5. Some annoying stutters I used to get on OOSS 11 are gone (ex: swipe and hold to access recent apps used to be very buggy, or google chrome scrolling).

6. Again great battery performance, especially standby, my battery health is 87% and I lose only 2% at night (on Airplane mode, I'd lose maybe ~5% on OOS11). But then, it blocks notifications so its a dilemma.

7. The brightness slider is much more usable and better positioned for one-handed operations than on OxygenOS; much prefer a thicker slider than a thin one.

8. Flexible/Floating windows are really nice and easy to operate.

Personal Conclusion:

I really want to like it and stick with it, but it doesn't feel as intuitive and easy as OxygenOS. There's too much tweaking to get notifications to work properly. It feels bloated with unnecessary things you wouldn't use at all, especially if you come from OxygenOS (ex: Breeno, HeyTap Cloud, Wallet, blah blah blah).

In the end, I will probably switch over to OxygenOS 12 when the stable version is out. Hopefully the transition from COOS12 to OOS12 should be as easy as an upgrade.

enjoy_life

Mar 5, 2016
So they released a stable ColorOS, but still didn't fix the notifications. How on Earth would anyone consider an OS usable when notifications aren't working? It boggles my mind. Chinese are a special kind.

• Haha
Reactions: azoller1

Bastienhere

Oct 24, 2015
So they released a stable ColorOS, but still didn't fix the notifications. How on Earth would anyone consider an OS usable when notifications aren't working? It boggles my mind. Chinese are a special kind.
If you fiddle a lot with the settings they start working as normal, just bummed the edge lighting doesn't work for third party apps, i swear it only works for SMS

soniettadc94

Dec 11, 2021
hello everyone, can I safely install the stable version of colorOS for OP8 from stable Oxygenos11 via ota? or is ColorOS only valid for Chinese OP8s?

jemadrid

Aug 10, 2014
Cd. Juarez

OnePlus 8 Pro ColorOS 12.1 C.21​

found:

Just installed and seems to be running good - try at your own risk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-10-09-30-48-94_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-10-09-30-48-94_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: ps000000

jordansamuel_01

May 14, 2022
Unpopular opinion but I really like the look and feel of ColorOS, surprisingly smooth. I just wish they didn't remove so many features from the OOS stock launcher.

Removing bloat wasn't an issue either I can add my list of apps I removed if anyone wants it. 80+ apps lol.

I rooted fine with Magisk but Quickswitch module bootlooped me, that's the only thing holding me back, might try another systemless launcher soon.
Hello. Could you please add the list of 80+ (bloatware) apps you removed? It would really be a great help. Thanks and regards, C.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OnePlus 8 Pro ColorOS 12.1 C.21​

found:

Just installed and seems to be running good - try at your own risk
    Oneplus has started officially releasing Android 12 builds to the public in the form of an Open Beta. However you can only join the beta program in China, so this thread will have all the latest package files if you want to install on your non-chinese OP8

DOWNLOADS

Oneplus 8 (C.11)
    Oneplus 8 Pro (C.11)
    Oneplus 8T (C.15)

Install Instructions
    1.) Make sure you're on the latest stock OOS 11. You can't install otherwise.
    2.) Place downloaded OTA zip on root of phone storage
    3.) Open Settings app > System Update > Gear icon in top left corner > Local Update > Select downloaded OTA
    4.) Wait to complete than reboot

Root Instructions
    1.) Extract payload.bin file from the OTA you downloaded with 7zip
    2.) Use payload_dumper to extract boot.img from payload.bin (DL in second post)
    3.) Patch boot.img with Magisk, than flash in fastboot with "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Note: To make sure you keep Google Play Services just make sure your logged into your Google account before installing the OTA file. If you flash OTA on a clean install of OxygenOS 11, and don't login to your Google account, you will have no Google Play Services after you take the OTA.

Works on: Global Variant, EU Variant, T-MO Variant (probably all others, Verizon and other users please report so I can update)

Video Review of Open Beta 1 for Oneplus 8 (all credit to Techibee he's an awesome Youtuber)
    New open beta Released yesterday was just getting them uploaded to GDrive

OP8 C.11
    OP8PRO C.11
    OP8T C.15
    Using it Since Yesterday as my Daily Driver. ( C. 11 Build )
    I upgraded directly over Indian Latest Build OOS 11 ( Local Upgrade )

Initial Impressions:
    • Rom is Smooth till now. ( First hour after boot was too much laggy, Optimisations was the cause)
    • No Major Issues Found as a daily Driver ( Indian Region )
      • All apps working, WIFI, Bluetooth, UPI apps - All fine
    • I do miss the One plus Stock OS thing. Color OS is too much ( Themes n all - Personally Dont like it)
    • I Play BGMI A lot, Its working Fine. ( There was an Issue with audio breaking with One Plus Budz Z) but Repairing Did the thing, Will check more this weekend.
    Issues:
    • As mentioned earlier I had and Issue with Bluetooth Audio Breaking but Repairing the headsets did the job. ( Will update more )
    • My Sim Slot 1 Internet is not working( soeed 0.1 mbps )
      • Reason-
        • I tried changing LTE band and As Band 40 and other Indian Bands are not directly accessible in this Build, I am not able to change ( Its completely My Mistake, as after installing the ROM it was working
        • Calls and connectivity is fine only Internet is messed due to this
    • Charging is not that good, Sometimes it shows VOOc 65 W sometimes it don't, Sometimes it feels its 65 W but not sure ( will update about this further)
    If anyone finds it great, Please heads up the post

Note: Is there anything, anyone wants me to test ? I can try but not sure as OP8t is my Daily Driver so fingers crossed :p
    Unpopular opinion but I really like the look and feel of ColorOS, surprisingly smooth. I just wish they didn't remove so many features from the OOS stock launcher.

Removing bloat wasn't an issue either I can add my list of apps I removed if anyone wants it. 80+ apps lol.

I rooted fine with Magisk but Quickswitch module bootlooped me, that's the only thing holding me back, might try another systemless launcher soon.