[ROM] [A12] Official ColorOS 12 Open Beta from OnePlus

Search This thread

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Oneplus has started officially releasing Android 12 builds to the public in the form of an Open Beta. However you can only join the beta program in China, so this thread will have all the latest package files if you want to install on your non-chinese OP8

DOWNLOADS

Oneplus 8 (C.11)
Oneplus 8 Pro (C.11)
Oneplus 8T (C.15)

Install Instructions
1.) Make sure you're on the latest stock OOS 11. You can't install otherwise.
2.) Place downloaded OTA zip on root of phone storage
3.) Open Settings app > System Update > Gear icon in top left corner > Local Update > Select downloaded OTA
4.) Wait to complete than reboot

Root Instructions
1.) Extract payload.bin file from the OTA you downloaded with 7zip
2.) Use payload_dumper to extract boot.img from payload.bin (DL in second post)
3.) Patch boot.img with Magisk, than flash in fastboot with "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Note: To make sure you keep Google Play Services just make sure your logged into your Google account before installing the OTA file. If you flash OTA on a clean install of OxygenOS 11, and don't login to your Google account, you will have no Google Play Services after you take the OTA.

Works on: Global Variant, EU Variant, T-MO Variant (probably all others, Verizon and other users please report so I can update)

Video Review of Open Beta 1 for Oneplus 8 (all credit to Techibee he's an awesome Youtuber)

Last edited:

Ramrod71

Nov 21, 2011
Is this still loaded with all the Chinese bloatware? After trying the earlier version of colorOS I think this will be my last oneplus device. I really didn't like it all.

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
Is this still loaded with all the Chinese bloatware? After trying the earlier version of colorOS I think this will be my last oneplus device. I really didn't like it all.
Yes, but to be fair unless you have a Chinese Oneplus 8, ColorOS was never meant for your device. So you can't really install it than be mad at Oneplus lol. OxygenOS is still pretty good at not having bloat.

Ramrod71

Nov 21, 2011
Yes, but to be fair unless you have a Chinese Oneplus 8, ColorOS was never meant for your device. So you can't really install it than be mad at Oneplus lol. OxygenOS is still pretty good at not having bloat.
I understand the phones country of origin but I was under the impression that oxygen OS was to be ditched in favour of Color OS. If this is the case then i wont be staying with oneplus. I have loved previous versions of OOS which is why I have stuck with oneplus for so long.

FoxyDrew

Aug 18, 2014
East Taunton
I understand the phones country of origin but I was under the impression that oxygen OS was to be ditched in favour of Color OS. If this is the case then i wont be staying with oneplus. I have loved previous versions of OOS which is why I have stuck with oneplus for so long.
Not exactly. The new OxygenOS is sort of leaning towards what ColorOS is. But they're still not the same thing, just getting more similar and streamlined.

If you wanna get the best idea of what's coming OxygenOS 12 is already available for the Oneplus 9. Plenty of coverage on it. Not my favorite to be fair. And I actually liked OOS11 more than OOS10 unlike most people.

But obviosuly when our Oneplus 8's in the USA get OxygenOS12, they'll see the same amount fo bloat as they do on OOS11. So none really. Don't have to worry about the Chinese stuff.

ADMJohnny

Apr 14, 2017
Bad News about the Audio
1) It sounds very bad and compressed with Poweramp and Mp3 320 (Previous OxygenOS 11 had no issues)
2) Sometimes the sound plays from both speakers and Bluetooth devices and needs restart
3) Dolby Atmos Presets doing nothing, not working.

david1907

Dec 8, 2015
Ankara
OnePlus 9
Why not work ram expansion?
Screenshot_2022-01-31-13-05-01-60_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg

ceza1380

Feb 21, 2013
Istanbul
Thank you. It will be great if you make debloated and maybe features added stock roms in the feature both oos and cos.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oneplus has started officially releasing Android 12 builds to the public in the form of an Open Beta. However you can only join the beta program in China, so this thread will have all the latest package files if you want to install on your non-chinese OP8

DOWNLOADS

Oneplus 8 (C.11)
    Oneplus 8 Pro (C.11)
    Oneplus 8T (C.15)

Install Instructions
    1.) Make sure you're on the latest stock OOS 11. You can't install otherwise.
    2.) Place downloaded OTA zip on root of phone storage
    3.) Open Settings app > System Update > Gear icon in top left corner > Local Update > Select downloaded OTA
    4.) Wait to complete than reboot

Root Instructions
    1.) Extract payload.bin file from the OTA you downloaded with 7zip
    2.) Use payload_dumper to extract boot.img from payload.bin (DL in second post)
    3.) Patch boot.img with Magisk, than flash in fastboot with "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Note: To make sure you keep Google Play Services just make sure your logged into your Google account before installing the OTA file. If you flash OTA on a clean install of OxygenOS 11, and don't login to your Google account, you will have no Google Play Services after you take the OTA.

Works on: Global Variant, EU Variant, T-MO Variant (probably all others, Verizon and other users please report so I can update)

Video Review of Open Beta 1 for Oneplus 8 (all credit to Techibee he's an awesome Youtuber)
    New open beta Released yesterday was just getting them uploaded to GDrive

OP8 C.11
    OP8PRO C.11
    OP8T C.15
    Using it Since Yesterday as my Daily Driver. ( C. 11 Build )
    I upgraded directly over Indian Latest Build OOS 11 ( Local Upgrade )

Initial Impressions:
    • Rom is Smooth till now. ( First hour after boot was too much laggy, Optimisations was the cause)
    • No Major Issues Found as a daily Driver ( Indian Region )
      • All apps working, WIFI, Bluetooth, UPI apps - All fine
    • I do miss the One plus Stock OS thing. Color OS is too much ( Themes n all - Personally Dont like it)
    • I Play BGMI A lot, Its working Fine. ( There was an Issue with audio breaking with One Plus Budz Z) but Repairing Did the thing, Will check more this weekend.
    Issues:
    • As mentioned earlier I had and Issue with Bluetooth Audio Breaking but Repairing the headsets did the job. ( Will update more )
    • My Sim Slot 1 Internet is not working( soeed 0.1 mbps )
      • Reason-
        • I tried changing LTE band and As Band 40 and other Indian Bands are not directly accessible in this Build, I am not able to change ( Its completely My Mistake, as after installing the ROM it was working
        • Calls and connectivity is fine only Internet is messed due to this
    • Charging is not that good, Sometimes it shows VOOc 65 W sometimes it don't, Sometimes it feels its 65 W but not sure ( will update about this further)
    If anyone finds it great, Please heads up the post

Note: Is there anything, anyone wants me to test ? I can try but not sure as OP8t is my Daily Driver so fingers crossed :p
    Unpopular opinion but I really like the look and feel of ColorOS, surprisingly smooth. I just wish they didn't remove so many features from the OOS stock launcher.

Removing bloat wasn't an issue either I can add my list of apps I removed if anyone wants it. 80+ apps lol.

I rooted fine with Magisk but Quickswitch module bootlooped me, that's the only thing holding me back, might try another systemless launcher soon.