[ROM][A5|7 2017][11] LineageOS 18.1 Official [MONTHLY]

Search This thread

Mad-Marty

Dec 15, 2010
Hi, is it a known bug that lineage standard camera flash timing is wrong?
Picture taken is too late i guess, so flash doesn't do anything useful.

Mad-Marty

Dec 15, 2010
Ok, flash timing is fine with 3rd party camera.
I wonder whats the technical reason for the flash being a few milliseconds off?

Thanks for the ROM and also LOS 20.
Anyway, I hope LOS 20 will be fully working in a few months, so while i'm waiting for it, still enjoying the great reliable 18.1 :)

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
Running the latest nightly build. For mobile data I sometimes get a Connection Timed Out Error. Any idea of what the culprit may be?

Edit: Managed to solve it. Don't know how. Tried multiple methods.

Last edited:

cappuccini

Nov 16, 2022
is it possible to replace the current camera by the developer with one that has a working flash? the camera apps in the playstore require many permissions. Which one should I choose?

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S4
i9100
is it possible to replace the current camera by the developer with one that has a working flash? the camera apps in the playstore require many permissions. Which one should I choose?
Open Camera is FOSS and very powerful while also a lot of settings. Simple Camera of the Simple app family could be a simpler option and is also OS but I haven't tried it myself. For both, I would trust on the required permissions in order to fulfill their purpuse.

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
Open Camera is FOSS and very powerful while also a lot of settings. Simple Camera of the Simple app family could be a simpler option and is also OS but I haven't tried it myself. For both, I would trust on the required permissions in order to fulfill their purpuse.
I am very impressed by GCam. Any reason to go with Open Camera instead?

cappuccini

Nov 16, 2022
Thanks for your answer. Has the error just been detected with the preinstalled camera, so maybe the camera will be replaced in the next update?

cappuccini

Nov 16, 2022
I am very impressed by GCam. Any reason to go with Open Camera instead?
Read that GCam is able to get the best out of the hardware. However, I don't understand how this works with the settings that are required for each device.

Is GCam actually better in quality on A5 2017 than OpenCamera for example?

Thank you @Option58 for this Tom. The best one I've tested. I csnt complain about anything with the exception of one. Gps/location services.

I've been running this as a daily for a couple of weeks now and strangely noted the following

(with WiFi and Bluetooth scanning off)
- opening maps and hitting 'locate me' , weather apps trying to locate me and any app that requests cureent location to work (check-in services) - fails.

- driving and following a path, strangely does works

- using a gps testing app sometimes shows satalites, sometimes not. But looking at my spare phones they always have access to many.

- I'll continue running this rom but for anyone who wants to know if this can be run as a daily. Yes I believe it can with the exception that location/gps is unreliable.

I'd be willing to help anyway I can in testing so shout out if I can.

Gps test next to a a32. As you can see the s32 has over 50 satalites but the A5 has none.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-133239_GPS Test.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215-133239_GPS Test.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20221215-133346_GPS_Test.png
    Screenshot_20221215-133346_GPS_Test.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 27

cappuccini

Nov 16, 2022
It remains a bit of a mystery. Not challenging what you write - also seeing this thread - but I managed today to activate OEM Unlock on another phone (A5 2017) where the previous user confirmed to me to have done factory reset before handing it to me. Not sure whether it has to do with the global region - I am located in Germany. Just sharing for information.

The OEM unlock toggle only appears after a certain amount of time running stock and this is determined by checking a server, since the server is now dead the toggle won't appear
I unlocked the bootloader of my A5 2017 a few weeks ago. fortunately, I too did not have the problems described due to stopped servers.

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
I managed to install the latest gcam for a5 bsg 8.1 ruler including script. in direct comparison OpenCamera is much more comfortable, I can not notice a qualitative difference of the photos.
GCam actually has a bug where the capture button start flickering and doesn't let you take pictures.
Also using the ruler version with script.

Haven't tried OpenCamera yet.

cappuccini

Nov 16, 2022
GCam actually has a bug where the capture button start flickering and doesn't let you take pictures.
Also using the ruler version with script.

Haven't tried OpenCamera yet.
If you only want to take photos, even with flash, I think OpenCamera is very good, definitely better than Gcam. when shooting video, the latest LOS18.1 unfortunately occasionally crashes and restarts, so I use the preinstalled camera for that.
I think it would be optimal if the developers would swap the camera app for a bug free one.... ;-)

SchWeinSAuG

Sep 7, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5
hey guys,
is there any option to use WIFI sharing?
using wlan and hotspot at the same time.
I want to use phone as Wifi repeater to extend wlan radius....
Tried some apps but none of them worked.
i think stock rom has the option "wifi sharing" in the advanced section of wlan options.
i am on holiday without laptop and dont really want to much flashing around with other roms...

hey guys,
is there any option to use WIFI sharing?
using wlan and hotspot at the same time.
I want to use phone as Wifi repeater to extend wlan radius....
Tried some apps but none of them worked.
i think stock rom has the option "wifi sharing" in the advanced section of wlan options.
i am on holiday without laptop and dont really want to much flashing around with other roms...
you can also use tethering blueetooth/usb tethering connected to the laptop and the phone stay connected to the wifi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you use Magisk, in most cases yes.
    Thanks, in the end my mom decided to buy a new A13 to avoid the whole Android Pie losing support for secure/banking apps instead of letting me flash a different rom to tackle that issue 🤣 Oh well, I guess that means I've got myself a new device to mess around with 😋
    Thanks, in the end my mom decided to buy a new A13 to avoid the whole Android Pie losing support for secure/banking apps instead of letting me flash a different rom to tackle that issue 🤣 Oh well, I guess that means I've got myself a new device to mess around with 😋
    Better to be on the safe side 👍 I have a few banking apps which just refuses to work no matter what tricks I pull. Fortunately I only need them in certain country that I rarely visit.
    Because of the flashlight error of the preinstalled Camera, I installed OpenCamera. When I enable Camera2-API in the app settings, photos become 10 times larger. A comparable shot of 2.3 MB becomes 23 MB. This doesn't seem normal to me, especially since the photos don't seem any better in quality.
    Is Camera2 API even available on the A5 2017? Is it a bug of the ROM or of OpenCamera?
    I seem to remember, that there is (or was?) a problem with Samsung's vendor libraries which are used in this ROM.
    When taking a photo the libraries create a very large file (up to 32 MByte) and fill it with the resulting JPG contents (which are most times much smaller).
    And in the end "nobody" shrinks the file to the required size.
    Other cameras (Footej e.g.) handle the situation correctly. Only OpenCamera leaves the files (large) as they are.
    I do not remember if there was a workaround for the problem.
    Because of the flashlight error of the preinstalled Camera, I installed OpenCamera. When I enable Camera2-API in the app settings, photos become 10 times larger. A comparable shot of 2.3 MB becomes 23 MB. This doesn't seem normal to me, especially since the photos don't seem any better in quality.
    Is Camera2 API even available on the A5 2017? Is it a bug of the ROM or of OpenCamera?
    In OpenCamera settings->Photo settings enable Stamp photos, it will reduce file size to normal size. If you don't want photos stamp, afterwards below disable time stamp, gps , date and address seperately.
    LineageOS 18.1 Official for Galaxy A5|7 2017

Lineage_OS_Logo_Wiki_main.jpg

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (r), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.​

What's working?

• Audio
    • Calls
    • Wifi
    • Hotspot
    • Mobile data
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Fingerprint
    • Hardware composer
    • OpenMAX (hardware encoding/decoding)
    • Camera (photos + recording)
    • NFC
    • Sensors
    • Vibration
    • Double tap to wake
    • Always on display
    • Software encryption
    • Sepolicy
    Security
    • We are shipping with enforced selinux policy.

Supported variants

All variants of Galaxy A5 (2017) and Galaxy A7 (2017). Dual SIM is also supported.

How to install
    1. Make sure you had Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this.
    2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
    3. Download the lineage build and optionally google apps.
    4. In TWRP format data (if you still have stock rom encryption).
    5. In TWRP wipe data and cache.
    6. Flash LineageOS.
    7. Optional: Flash Google apps (rightafter).
    8. Reboot.

LineageOS updater will handle updates automatically (OTA).
    If you're flashing manually, it's okay to dirty flash.

Downloads

A5 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    A7 2017: download.lineageos.org | wiki.lineageos.org | twrp.me
    Google apps (arm64): wiki.lineageos.org

Old builds:
    18.1 beta: mega
    17.1 last official: androidfilehost
    17.1 alpha/beta: androidfilehost
    16.0 last official: mega
    15.1 last beta: androidfilehost

Donations
    If you find the work I do helpful, you can support me by donating via this link.

Telegram
    There's a telegram group made by A5|7 users where we hang out. Feel free to check it out.

Credits
    Huge thanks to (a lot of people):
    • RaymanFX for the original work on lineage 14.1 and thus making this possible.
    • Forkbomb for contribution to original 14.1 sources.
    • Simon1511 for contributing to these devices via patches uploaded to lineageos gerrit.
    • Stricted, Danwood76, Fcuzzocrea, Ivan Meler and others for contribution to exynos platform.
    • SGTPresticle, Jmackley, Simon1511, Arno and others for doing the testing.
    • LineageOS Team
    • Me, for the infinite hours spent on this project. :p

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][11][A5|7 2017] LineageOS 18.1 Official [WEEKLY], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017 A5 and A7

Contributors
    Option58
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_universal7880

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.140
    ROM Firmware Required: Samsung oreo firmware

Version Information
    Monthly

Created 2018-12-07
    LineageOS 18.1 is the last official version of LineageOS. The contents of this post have been moved to a new xda thread.
    FAQ
    Help my sim doesn't work
    Please read the installation instructions more carefully. Oreo firmware bootloader and modem is a must.
    You can find the collection along with the guide in this xda thread.

I'm sometimes having crackling sound when listening to music
    Turn off 'ok google now' functionality in google app settings. If you have troubles finding it you can as well go to settings>apps, find app called 'google' and disable microphone permission.

Does this rom support VoLTE?
    No. And it likely won't in the near future. Samsung's exynos VoLTE implementation is proprietary and non-standard. It is not possible on AOSP based roms for the time being.

I have weird issues with camera (wrong resolution, issues with flash etc.)
    Тhis could very well be an issue with the included camera app. Try a third party camera app.

My device fails to encrypt
    1. You were likely using older TWRP, update to the latest version
    2. Backup your data somewhere (external sd, pc...)
    3. In TWRP Advanced -> Format data.

My hardware keys light up whenever I touch the screen
    Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Illuminate buttons only when pressed'. You might want to reduce time on the scaler to 1 second, too.

How to switch to full screen gestures
    1. Navigate to Settings->System->Buttons->Backlight and tick 'Enable on-screen nav bar'.
    2. Navigate to Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation and tick 'Gesture navigation'.

I need help with google camera
    Please see this xda post.
    New build up!

This one is huge. The changelog list is big and I've probably fixed more bugs in the previous 7 days than I did in the past 6 months.
    Lineage 17.1 for this device is getting better and a lot of bugs are squashed now. We can now declare this a beta!

All the changes for this build are now properly sorted and merged-in. You can easily find everything at github.com/LineageOS, build the rom yourselves and contribute with new code, if you are able to.

• Beta 3.0
      • Pulled RIL blobs from G965F Q firmware (more modern, fixes signal strength)
      • Fixed issues with connecting to RILD (fixes in-call volume, fixes echo in calls)
      • Updated GPS blobs from A720S P firmware (better signal, we are actually able to acquire a lock)
      • Updated fingerprint blobs from A720S P firmware (works more reliably, dropped all hacks)
      • Pulled sensors from A720F O firmware (cleaner)
      • Updated DRM to support Widevine L1
      • More HALs are binderized
      • Build FlipFlap (a flip cover app)
      • Fully written and enforced selinux policy
      • Latest LineageOS sources

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=304603
    Also I've just updated my sources so you can fully build the rom again.

I've tested some roms like PixelExperience today on my device. It's not bad with the added 'google' feel to it. Later I might test RR and others.
    All that I'm asking from both developers and users is please be clear that these roms are based on LineageOS. Meaning that most of the hard work that actually got them to work was done here, on LineageOS. And unfortunately most of the issues they are facing as well :p Work was done by RaymanFX, forkbomb, and in the latest days by me. Not respecting this makes me less motivated to keep working on the device.

Cheers :highfive: