[ROM] Ainol Novo 8 Adv 2.3.4 Root UK V4.0 (NEW 15/04/12)

Search This thread
Very necro update March 2021:
All versions of this ROM are now stored on my personal site and can be found here:
Ainol Novo 8 Advanced Firmware Downloads
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A long time coming but Release 4.0 is now here :)
Site Link:NebularNerd.com

To save keep opening new threads I shall now just update this one to reflect the latest release. The main reason for the delay was waiting to find a firmware to base it on that offered something more than just a minor update.

To keep things short and sweet the full Readme will now be kept on a separate page on my blog Click Here and a plain text copy is in the download. Check out the Change log/What's New below then get your download and enjoy. Screen shots after the download links.

Posts #70 onwards for support on this release

Change log/What's New:
Key: + New # Updated > Information ! Important - Removed
07/04/2012 Version 4.0

+ Newer base firmware based on cheeyee and tomx2h releases.
! English only release, Multi Language may follow
! Google Maps will Force Close if you have no active Wifi or Data connection, this is the way the app works and not a bug.
- Flash and Skype removed as they only semi worked. You can install these from the market.
+ Modified Google Play Store gives the best results yet. Still not perfect but improves on last firmware.
! Play Store must not be updated, auto updater removed to prevent this. Any updates will remove the modded version.
+ build.prop altered with HTC Flyer data (closest match to our tablet) again results have improved in the Market.
# All included Google Apps, Facebook and Dolphin are latest versions as of compliling the Firmware
- Root explorer because it would still give Chinese menus, ES File Manager is just as good when given root access rights.
+ New Statusbar icons for Home, Menu, Up, Down and Back (See screenshots)
# The wallpaper app that was in Chinese I have converted to English, look for 'ICS Wallpapers'
- Separate Latitude.apk (now comes with Maps) and Car Home (Too small for our screens)
> For UK users iPlayer and latest Flash seem to play Medium quality streams without any problems, High quality is broken in iPlayer by the looks of it as setting it makes no difference over Medium.

Downloads:
If you mirror the file please let me know so I can add it here.
Ainol Novo 8 2.3.4 UK Rom V4.0 @ nebularnerd.co.uk

Screenshots:
Click for full size images. Apps that have been pixelised are not included.

Last edited:

educuritiba

Aug 4, 2008
Huawei e220 and bluetooth

Hello. First of all, congratulations for the nice work!
I´m wondering if anyone managed to make Huawei e220 modem work on this rom. If so, please send the instructions.
Another thing that would be important on further updates is to make bluetooth hardware work on our Novo8 or also a external dongle.
Bye!:):):)

Bluetooth would be great

Hello. First of all, congratulations for the nice work!
I´m wondering if anyone managed to make Huawei e220 modem work on this rom. If so, please send the instructions.
Another thing that would be important on further updates is to make bluetooth hardware work on our Novo8 or also a external dongle.
Bye!:):):)

I am looking into the whole Bluetooth thing as it's something I would quite like to have running as well, on some of the other forums there is some Bluetooth stuff being worked on so I need to look and see what that is about and if I can use it.

daniel.eriksson

Nov 17, 2005
www.digitex.se
Hehe, something is def. done with the power control. i can "easily" power it off now when the powercord is plugged in. But it immediately starts up again.
power off works and stays off without power cord. plug cord in and it powers on.

first cents.
thanks for fb, and dolphin! Why not make ES FileExplorer standard too?

Trying not to bloat the rom, and new base firmware

Hehe, something is def. done with the power control. i can "easily" power it off now when the powercord is plugged in. But it immediately starts up again.
power off works and stays off without power cord. plug cord in and it powers on.

first cents.
thanks for fb, and dolphin! Why not make ES FileExplorer standard too?

I left ES out as it can be downloaded from the market, while it is my preferred file manager other may want something else so I'm trying to not overload the rom. To most people having the stock File Explorer and Root Explorer is likely enough. Facebook, Dolphin and Skype were added because like some of the Google apps they cannot be had off the market but are near enough essential to daily tablet usage.

*** NEWS FLASH ***
I have just managed to download the latest beta from the Chinese sites, took a while to work out how to do get it off their chosen download host, need to add learning Chinese to my todo list :)

I shall start playing with this new firmware and see how it behaves, who knows what that will bring us.
*** NEWS FLASH ***

daniel.eriksson

Nov 17, 2005
www.digitex.se
Ok, so yesterday while falling asleep i looked at latest topgear.
New in this rom, is that every five ten minutes, the "power off" dialog pops up. :D
Any idea how come? Also while playing games it pops up every now and then now. didnt in the earlier rom.

Also , when i started skype it said "Skype must be reinstalled" and i was never able to log in.

Exciting about new beta! Crazy stuff. :D

kinterinho

Nov 9, 2011
I left ES out as it can be downloaded from the market, while it is my preferred file manager other may want something else so I'm trying to not overload the rom. To most people having the stock File Explorer and Root Explorer is likely enough. Facebook, Dolphin and Skype were added because like some of the Google apps they cannot be had off the market but are near enough essential to daily tablet usage.

*** NEWS FLASH ***
I have just managed to download the latest beta from the Chinese sites, took a while to work out how to do get it off their chosen download host, need to add learning Chinese to my todo list :)

I shall start playing with this new firmware and see how it behaves, who knows what that will bring us.
*** NEWS FLASH ***
V2 install yesterday, and today I learned that in China have released a new version.

It has some bugs that you've fixed in V2, so I think you can pick your version of china and improve it.

I encourage you.

Thank you very much for making us enjoy both.

educuritiba

Aug 4, 2008
Feedback

A little feedback ROMs:
concerns:
First, after installing programs, I'm having problems ("com.androi.settings process stopped") to access Settings-App Manager. The same happens with the time zone setting. I tried reinstalling, but it continues going after the installation of any problem.
I am also having problems with skype ("resinstall skype").
Another question is about the graphics processing. Although our tablet has enough technology, games like Spiderman and Real footbal run without the proper rendering.
I think that ultimately, the ROM should not come with installed applications, it can easily be found through the Aptoide.
Moreover, the ROM is good, with few delays in Appmenu and tablet features working except bluetooth, but this is a problem of its own original ROM and still no solution proposed.
Keep the good work!

Replies to all,

Regarding Skype issues, is this cropping up as soon as you are running Skype or after name and password entry. I do not have a Skype account so could not fully test, I shall add it onto the fix list for the next version.

naguz:
Thaks for the heads up I shall get onto rikeys and see what's doing. I should have another Mirror or two coming up any time soon.

daniel.eriksson:
The Power dialog is a weird on, everytime I flash it appears either more or less than before, hopefully the new beta has some fixes.

educuritiba:
Are you trying to change to another language? I've not ran into issues with Settings myself and did try changing languages around before release, if not please let me know what it is you are doing that leads to the FC.

App bundling is a tricky one to win, while those of us more skilled in the ways of the internet and things we can easily grab an apk to stick on, not everyone can or they prefer a all-in-one flash and be done solution. I'm not looking to stick anything on that can be had off the market and equally nothing that is not free for but things like Skype, Facebook and Dolphin are what I consider for most people must haves. Maybe for the next release I will bundle a working set of .apk's for people to install post flash.

educuritiba

Aug 4, 2008
Oberth, you are right. Those problems in settings only happen when the language is not english ( I am trying portuguese br).
Keep the good working in the next releases!!!
Bye:)

kinterinho

Nov 9, 2011
Yesterday I install the latest version to come out of China and is a wonder. Very stable and if no delay. The problem is that in Chinese and English is not complete. Would be nice if the Chinese were also multilingual and that all people around the world have this tablet. Bad for them.

I think that you would work with this version because it goes very very well.

I leave the link:
http://bbs.imp3.net/thread-10500965-1-1.html

Thank you for your work from Spain.

Last edited:

tobituba

Nov 28, 2011
hi, the rom is very good!

i change only the task bar to a another smaller.

a question:
what resolution u use?
how row and coluns in launcher u use?
to assist videos in 1080p, u use a standart video player or a mx video?
in the mx 1080p movies are slow, same in S/W fast.

im from brazil, and the rom is the best!

Taskbar changes on the todo list

hi, the rom is very good!

i change only the task bar to a another smaller.

a question:
what resolution u use?
how row and coluns in launcher u use?
to assist videos in 1080p, u use a standart video player or a mx video?
in the mx 1080p movies are slow, same in S/W fast.

im from brazil, and the rom is the best!

Hi Tobituba, Resolution is set at 160dpi which is 1280x768 (what the screen is) at 160dpi the Launcher gives 6 columns by 7 rows in the app screen. Video playback is just through the stock player using HW Decode where it can no other software required. If you're using MX you need to make sure you have the Arm 7 Codecs as well and make sure it tries to use HW where possible. Not tried it heavily as the stock player is pretty good now.

Well that looks shiny :)

Yesterday I install the latest version to come out of China and is a wonder. Very stable and if no delay. The problem is that in Chinese and English is not complete. Would be nice if the Chinese were also multilingual and that all people around the world have this tablet. Bad for them.

I think that you would work with this version because it goes very very well.

I leave the link:
http://bbs.imp3.net/thread-10500965-1-1.html

Thank you for your work from Spain.

Downloading now, that does look very nice and appears to be based on the latest beta, very interesting about the Flash 11 integration wonder if the performance issues have been fixed in this rom? Well lets see what I can do with it . . .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Very necro update March 2021:
    All versions of this ROM are now stored on my personal site and can be found here:
    Ainol Novo 8 Advanced Firmware Downloads
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long time coming but Release 4.0 is now here :)
    Site Link:NebularNerd.com

To save keep opening new threads I shall now just update this one to reflect the latest release. The main reason for the delay was waiting to find a firmware to base it on that offered something more than just a minor update.

To keep things short and sweet the full Readme will now be kept on a separate page on my blog Click Here and a plain text copy is in the download. Check out the Change log/What's New below then get your download and enjoy. Screen shots after the download links.

Posts #70 onwards for support on this release

Change log/What's New:
    Key: + New # Updated > Information ! Important - Removed
    07/04/2012 Version 4.0

+ Newer base firmware based on cheeyee and tomx2h releases.
    ! English only release, Multi Language may follow
    ! Google Maps will Force Close if you have no active Wifi or Data connection, this is the way the app works and not a bug.
    - Flash and Skype removed as they only semi worked. You can install these from the market.
    + Modified Google Play Store gives the best results yet. Still not perfect but improves on last firmware.
    ! Play Store must not be updated, auto updater removed to prevent this. Any updates will remove the modded version.
    + build.prop altered with HTC Flyer data (closest match to our tablet) again results have improved in the Market.
    # All included Google Apps, Facebook and Dolphin are latest versions as of compliling the Firmware
    - Root explorer because it would still give Chinese menus, ES File Manager is just as good when given root access rights.
    + New Statusbar icons for Home, Menu, Up, Down and Back (See screenshots)
    # The wallpaper app that was in Chinese I have converted to English, look for 'ICS Wallpapers'
    - Separate Latitude.apk (now comes with Maps) and Car Home (Too small for our screens)
    > For UK users iPlayer and latest Flash seem to play Medium quality streams without any problems, High quality is broken in iPlayer by the looks of it as setting it makes no difference over Medium.

Downloads:
    If you mirror the file please let me know so I can add it here.
    Ainol Novo 8 2.3.4 UK Rom V4.0 @ nebularnerd.co.uk

Screenshots:
    Click for full size images. Apps that have been pixelised are not included.

Latest news about beta testing for V3.0

Hi everyone,

I have started looking at the latest rooted beta (thanks kinterinho for the link to fengs rooted one) and initial impressions are. . .

Good:
    Really Really Fast
    Power Issues have not yet shown up
    Looks Amazing
    Flash 11 performance issues seem to be resolved (need to test iplayer)

Bad:
    Something has caused YouTube to start stuttering which it did not previously
    Seems a bit twitchy in places, most likely needs tweaking.
    Flash 11 not integrated (maybe I misread the translation)
    Included ES File Manager unable to gain root access, could be rom or app at fault

Where I am at:
    English conversion pretty much done.
    Multi Language to sort out (need to try and get that working better this time)
    Google stuff, Dolphin and Facebook added.
    Headphone volume adjusted to not deafen you.
    Looking to add an email.apk following request on old rom thread.
    Yes and no

So cool. really looking forward to test your version..
    so "powerissue" meaning powerbutton and charging with unit off is working!!!!??

It looks like the random screen on, power off dialog and no working power button bugs are gone. The screen does not come on when you connect a charger if it is asleep.

However if the unit is fully powered off/shutdown when you connect the charger it will power up, this is a hardware design issue and cannot be resolved, essentially connecting the charger in this state is the same as pressing the power on button. My other dead unit does exactly the same thing, as soon as I hook it up it will attempt to power on despite there being no software on the unit.
    The original Chinese rom lacks the Google stuff

Chinese rom is very fast and stable. But i can't add google account. My tablet go to reboot when i click on "add account". In 2.0 ROM this problem not apears.

P.S. Waiting for new ROM. Thanks from Ukraine!

The Chinese rom that I use as a base tend to be missing all the Google framework stuff which is required to add and use the accounts with, part of my conversion work is adding in all the stuff needed to allow this.
    This is for the ad-hoc:

http://115.com/file/e6glptkx

Install like a rom.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

For bricked download the version it says on the official website of the program to format the card in fat32.
    Can be arranged.