[ROM][All-F2FS] SlimKat with All-F2FS support [02/05/14]

Search This thread

D-m-x

Apr 28, 2011
Germany
After a few Days of using this ROM, I have to say it's quite nice. The Tablet seems to be smoother and also more responsive. And everything works fine so far, even Xposed with the new Update.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Lotek

Fransis88

Apr 19, 2011
please can get an upgrade for tilapia ... I can never try new things that you are going because we have seen a very forgotten bringing ...
I would like to try the omnirom f2fs, but I do not care if haceis the slim, but to build any tilapia please!
thanks

Reactions: ganeshp

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
please can get an upgrade for tilapia ... I can never try new things that you are going because we have seen a very forgotten bringing ...
I would like to try the omnirom f2fs, but I do not care if haceis the slim, but to build any tilapia please!
thanks

+1 please on Tilapia build.
I'm currently using the grouper one (want to try out f2f so) but until we don't have a tilapia build my sim will be practically useless..

Also recovery image for tilapia too (tilapia builds will have problem installing from this recovery right?)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spitwista

Mar 23, 2013
Bloemfontein
Last edited:
Reactions: dumpy83

adomol

Jan 25, 2014
/etc/init.d
@legolas93,

Any chance you can make a short general "How-to guide" on how to modify a ROM to use All-F2FS please?

Can I please get a show of hands with some users here who would also like to know what's involved in modifying a ROM to use All-F2FS?

I think you just include the f2fs modifications to the system and cache lines of the fstab in the rom you want to use, the way ss2man44 did to only the data part. The OP in his F2FS thread has a link to what he did.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49996449&postcount=1

Last edited:

ksss

Jul 10, 2011
Have you activated ROOT in Developer Options? And have you activated Developer Options by tapping the build number tab 8 times in the about tablet section in settings?

Developer Options activated. ROOT not activated there. New way of handle the root for me.

Thanks for your help.

Tested this rom a couple of weeks, with full F2FS, went back to sabre AOSPL and use F2FS in data only, and now back to Slimkat with full F2FS, and I must say it is probably the smothest rom I have felt.
Thanks to the developers!

SkOrPn

Jun 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
www.planetamd64.com
I think you just include the f2fs modifications to the system and cache lines of the fstab in the rom you want to use, the way ss2man44 did to only the data part. The OP in his F2FS thread has a link to what he did.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49996449&postcount=1

I already tried that several times. I tried modifying the fstab myself, it didn't boot. I tried using the fstab from OmniROM and it still didn't boot. There must be something else missing from the process hence why I'm asking for some kind of simple how to guide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

laill

Sep 23, 2010
Hong Kong
Tested the ROM for few days, smooth with ~50MB swap and 95 swapiness.
(As a heavy multitasking user, Facebook, chrome, WhatsApp, Adobe reader, Newstand, Poweramp, Google Map...all the heavy stuffs at the same time)
u9uza4y3.jpg

It is quote good for a old device.

Titanium Backup seems to have trouble with system partitions.
Also, noticed some strange behavior in Google now.
5adyhyta.jpg

Pressing any choice gives me no response, perhaps it is not the ROM problem

The work is good overall, much better than my expectations, keep the work pal, you saved my day: )

Regards,
L

nlabrad

Jul 29, 2011
Buenos Aires
I already tried that several times. I tried modifying the fstab myself, it didn't boot. I tried using the fstab from OmniROM and it still didn't boot. There must be something else missing from the process hence why I'm asking for some kind of simple how to guide.

If you flash a standard rom, the zip file will format the /system partition as ext4 instead of f2fs, you need to change the script in the zip file so when it formats the partitions it uses f2fs

ronedogg

Nov 3, 2012
If you flash a standard rom, the zip file will format the /system partition as ext4 instead of f2fs, you need to change the script in the zip file so when it formats the partitions it uses f2fs

That's all we got to do? Sounds simple enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

nlabrad

Jul 29, 2011
Buenos Aires
Nah the utils are needed in the recovery.
I think you just need that and a modified fstab which I don't know how to flash with a zip. It seems it's created with a script during the ROM install

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimKat with "All-F2FS" support

I have modified SlimKat to work with F2FS partitions. All credits for the ROM to SlimKat guys.
    This is for "All-F2FS" that mean that /system, /cache and /data are formatted with F2FS.
    This is needed to switch to "All-F2FS".
    ROM contains my Kernel with "All-F2FS" support and other goodies.

Ported sl[aou]b from Linux 3.4
    Ported timer and workqueue from Linux 3.4
    Ported random from Linux 3.13-rc4
    Ported rwsem from Linux 3.11
    Kernel NEON Mode
    Etc..Etc..
    Added GPU OC (Franco way..)
    Added Toggle for FSYNC
    Revert CPU OC things (We don't need it and it was a bit dirty..)

One of the goodies of my kernel is that i was able to reclaim more 18MB of RAM for Android. As you can see in Settings we are now at 993MB.
    MultiROM isn't supported as now because i need to patch it to work with "new" ram.

What is F2FS?

F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel. The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.

banner.png

Download:
    • SlimKat 4.8: Here (New Kernel2)
    • SlimKat 4.6: Here (New Kernel)
    • SlimKat 4.4: Here
    • SlimKat 4.2: Here
    • SlimKat 4: Here
    • SlimKat 3.10: Here
    • SlimKat 3.8: Here
    • SlimKat 3.6: Here

You need a recovery with "All-F2FS" support. So..
    To use this ROM read the instructions Here!

If you have problem with Xposed installation:
    You can download the v2.5 beta 2 from here. After installing, click on Setting and then select "Install from Recovery" either the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Hope i dind't any errors writing this down. I personally tested this procedure.
    Enjoy. :D

1zd0qv6.png
    30ww5c0.png
    When is v. 3836 being released? as it is on the weekly builds on slimrom site dated 21 / 04 / 14, I realise you will have other things to do, just curious as to whether there is a reason you haven't released it yet?

There is one reason. I worked hard on a new kernel that i wanted to include with new version. So i had to make sure that it works well at least for me. :D Sorry for the delay.

Slim-grouper-4.4.2.build.4.6-WEEKLY-3836-F2FS.zip

I'm just writing the link for the new release here. If you guys tell me that all work good i will push it to the first post.

New kernel contains a lot of unique optimizations for our N7 made by me. I tested it for days and seems to work right. I even did some benchs (usually i don't them..) and seems that with Antutu we are around 15000 points..(Obviously without overclock..). There is nothing to configure or to tweak. It's to use as is out of the box.
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4.8.

Kernel updated.
    - USB OTG Fixed
    - Optimizations
    - Battery improved

:D
    Hey guys. I've just published an app that let you convert a Standard ROM to All-F2FS ROM without a computer. Directly on your phone/tablet.

Convert To F2FS
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runnerway.converttof2fs

-lSpP8Rh6vRVew5L72u3ZEh7Vf4d6VDx2kul2ueIhfihJ2Cw0gyDbYiMHVnRI7A9X6A=h900-rw

So you can convert yourself every ROM you want without troubles.
    Now it's easy to stay up to date with the ROM you like.

Tested with:
    - SlimROM
    - Paranoid
    - Omnirom
    - Cyanogenmod
    - Etc..

It cost very little, like a coffe.
    I think it's usefull and it's a good way to support my work.
    Thank you. :D
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4 Stable.

:)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone