• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [Android 11] DotOS SamsungGalaxy S9 [OFFICIAL][starqltechn][star2qltechn]

Search This thread

ele3131

Feb 26, 2015
I've been using the ROM for 5 days now, everything works great apart from two things:

- Battery usage is high (around 6%/h) on average, I did as @ele3131 suggested and installed naptime and betterbatterystats. The latter detected that most partial wakelocks happened because of "NfcService:mRoutingWakelock". I went and checked whether NFC is on and it turns out it's toggled on and greyed out...Any idea on how I could solve that?

- Bluetooth works great for listening to music but doesn't for calls, on three different BT devices. I read somewhere that disabling "Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" could do the trick, but again the option is toggled on and greyed out. Any thought?
Before coming to DotOS, did you update your phone to latest (One Ui 2.5) and did a clean flash of TWRP?

Here Bluetooth and NFC can be enabled, try finding them inside "Settings", if not crazy I remember seeing a similar issue with Quick Panel alone. If it does not work try cleaning cache and dalvik cache and dirty flashing the rom again.

Here I have 1,2%/h.

Last edited:

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
Before coming to DotOS, did you update your phone to latest (One Ui 2.5) and did a clean flash of TWRP?

Here Bluetooth and NFC can be enabled, try finding them inside "Settings", if not crazy I remember seeing a similar issue with Quick Panel alone. If it does not work try cleaning cache and dalvik cache and dirty flashing the rom again.

Here I have 1,2%/h.

Before unlocking the phone using @afaneh92's service, I was on OneUi 2.5, I followed his instructions and factory reset, so yes, I believe it was a clean flash.

The issue for NFC idoesn't only occur in the quick panel, the option is stuck on and greyed out in the settings menu.

I did not install magisk and am therefore not rooted, could that be related to the problem?

As for bluetooth, I can turn it off and on, music works but calls results in either no sound at all or the person I'm talking to saying it's really loud and garbled. Have you tried making calls using BT on your s9? Does it work?

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Before unlocking the phone using @afaneh92's service, I was on OneUi 2.5, I followed his instructions and factory reset, so yes, I believe it was a clean flash.

The issue for NFC idoesn't only occur in the quick panel, the option is stuck on and greyed out in the settings menu.

I did not install magisk and am therefore not rooted, could that be related to the problem?

As for bluetooth, I can turn it off and on, music works but calls results in either no sound at all or the person I'm talking to saying it's really loud and garbled. Have you tried making calls using BT on your s9? Does it work?
NFC issue because of kernel based on china s9

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
S9 SM-G9600 (Klabit Kernel).

Bluetooth works fine, have been using it with my TWS earbud without problème.

If i understand well, the reason why some features work for you and not for me is that you have an international, bootloader-unlocked version of the S9 and I have a US, formerly locked version.

I would consequently encounter the same issues using another ROM, can someone confirm?

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
Las Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S9
I've been using the ROM for 5 days now, everything works great apart from two things:

- Battery usage is high (around 6%/h) on average, I did as @ele3131 suggested and installed naptime and betterbatterystats. The latter detected that most partial wakelocks happened because of "NfcService:mRoutingWakelock". I went and checked whether NFC is on and it turns out it's toggled on and greyed out...Any idea on how I could solve that?

- Bluetooth works great for listening to music but doesn't for calls, on three different BT devices. I read somewhere that disabling "Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" could do the trick, but again the option is toggled on and greyed out. Any thought?
I have the same issue here. I just decided to disable the NFC service and it improved battery life, but still not the best around 7%/h. it was around 10%/h before i disabled NFC

edit: don't just disable the NFCservice app, do
Code:
adb shell pm hide com.android.nfc
. this completely disables the nfc service, otherwise on reboot, android will attempt to revive the process continually and will make the battery and heat issue worse. speaking from experience lol. this is the only way to have normal battery life on this rom for most of us until the issue is fixed, so NFC doesnt work anyway. Might as well improve battery life and heat

Last edited:

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
I have the same issue here. I just decided to disable the NFC service and it improved battery life, but still not the best around 7%/h. it was around 10%/h before i disabled NFC

edit: don't just disable the NFCservice app, do
Code:
adb shell pm hide com.android.nfc
. this completely disables the nfc service, otherwise on reboot, android will attempt to revive the process continually and will make the battery and heat issue worse. speaking from experience lol. this is the only way to have normal battery life on this rom for most of us until the issue is fixed, so NFC doesnt work anyway. Might as well improve battery life and heat
Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, between the high battery drain and bluetooth call not working, I'm thinking of changing ROM. I just sent a post on Jkruse's thread to see if I should transition to his ROM.

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
Las Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S9
Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, between the high battery drain and bluetooth call not working, I'm thinking of changing ROM. I just sent a post on Jkruse's thread to see if I should transition to his ROM.

After a day of using my phone after disabling the NFC service completely, I have impeccable battery life. See attachment. I have excellent idle and with the help of Naptime my phone can deep doze. Heat is also not an issue anymore. It's even better than stock. Of course, it doesn't have the features of stock. But the customizable features is what sells me. Give it a try. Do the adb command and reboot and you'll see a difference. I haven't tried Bluetooth call yet though. Maybe there's a magisk module that could fix it. I haven't looked

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-100836.png
    Screenshot_20211005-100836.png
    194 KB · Views: 31

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
After a day of using my phone after disabling the NFC service completely, I have impeccable battery life. See attachment. I have excellent idle and with the help of Naptime my phone can deep doze. Heat is also not an issue anymore. It's even better than stock. Of course, it doesn't have the features of stock. But the customizable features is what sells me. Give it a try. Do the adb command and reboot and you'll see a difference. I haven't tried Bluetooth call yet though. Maybe there's a magisk module that could fix it. I haven't looked
Ok, I gave your suggestion a try and haven't been able to deactivate NFC:

k*:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
4******************** device

k*:~$ adb shell pm hide com.android.nfc

Exception occurred while executing 'hide':
java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.

I'm not familiar with Magisk and haven't installed it, I'm guessing I'm not root and I do not have the proper permissions?

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
Las Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S9
Ok, I gave your suggestion a try and haven't been able to deactivate NFC:

k*:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
4******************** device

k*:~$ adb shell pm hide com.android.nfc

Exception occurred while executing 'hide':
java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.

I'm not familiar with Magisk and haven't installed it, I'm guessing I'm not root and I do not have the proper permissions?
You need to run it with root. I forgot to add that so apologies. You'll need magisk or another kind of root method.
Do
Code:
adb shell su pm hide com.android.nfc

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
You need to run it with root. I forgot to add that so apologies. You'll need magisk or another kind of root method.
Do
Code:
adb shell su pm hide com.android.nfc
I've found various methods to install Magisk, including the official way that implies flashing the latest firmware, which I know may re-lock the bootloader.

Could you point me to the install method you used so that I'm sure I won't mess anything up?

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
Las Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S9
I've found various methods to install Magisk, including the official way that implies flashing the latest firmware, which I know may re-lock the bootloader.

Could you point me to the install method you used so that I'm sure I won't mess anything up?
Do you already have twrp? I assume you do if you have this rom. All you need to do is find the latest magisk zip file and flash it. Open the magisk manager app after you reboot and it'll update the app. That's it. You'll have root. You'll need to do some extra steps to pass safetynet if you want that.

Pteroglossus

Sep 16, 2021
Do you already have twrp? I assume you do if you have this rom. All you need to do is find the latest magisk zip file and flash it. Open the magisk manager app after you reboot and it'll update the app. That's it. You'll have root. You'll need to do some extra steps to pass safetynet if you want that.
Magisk installed, I was able to run the cmd to disable NFC. I did notice a decrease in battery usage at around 5% an hour but I haven't used the phone that much today.

However, at the end of the day, BBS still shows this:
Screenshot_20211009-201925202 (1).jpg

Is NFC really deactivated?

Teet1

Sep 17, 2013
Las Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S9
Magisk installed, I was able to run the cmd to disable NFC. I did notice a decrease in battery usage at around 5% an hour but I haven't used the phone that much today.

However, at the end of the day, BBS still shows this:View attachment 5429261
It doesnt show up anymore for me. Did you fully charge it after disabling NFC? it may just be counting the time when NFC was still active. If your phone isn't hot or warm at idle then its probably disabled lol. To be really sure, do adb shell logcat. If the window is being spammed with errors then NFC is still active although im not sure why it would still be running. Thats the command that got rid of it for me

edit: today i can confirm that bluetooth calls indeed do not work. I hope that a kernel can be developed that fixes this issue and NFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Pteroglossus

Top Liked Posts

However, at the end of the day, BBS still shows this:View attachment 5429261
    It doesnt show up anymore for me. Did you fully charge it after disabling NFC? it may just be counting the time when NFC was still active. If your phone isn't hot or warm at idle then its probably disabled lol. To be really sure, do adb shell logcat. If the window is being spammed with errors then NFC is still active although im not sure why it would still be running. Thats the command that got rid of it for me

edit: today i can confirm that bluetooth calls indeed do not work. I hope that a kernel can be developed that fixes this issue and NFC
    dotOS_banner-5.0.png

" #DroidOnTime "

ROM Version: 5.0.1

Device: starqltechn and star2qltechn

Maintainer: Nyoutaaa

Build Status:
    Official

banner_discl.png

Code:
    * Your warranty is now void.

* We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by installing any custom ROMs and/or kernels.

* You do it at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself and you are not to blame us or XDA and its respected developers.

"This is a user-friendly thread, all your suggestions are important to us and will be taken into consideration.."

banner_about.png

dotOS is an Android ROM which focuses on performance and stability. We focus on making our rom look and feel great without struggling on Performance and Battery! So that one can get most out of his/her device.....

banner_inst.png

CLEAN FLASH :

Download the latest build and GApps

Reboot to recovery

Make nandroid backup (Not Necessary)

Wipe System, Data, Cache, Dalvik

Flash the latest build and GApps

Reboot

DIRTY FLASH :

Download the latest build

Reboot to recovery

Flash the latest build

Wipe Cache

Reboot

Note: GApps only has to be flashed once whereas Magisk/Su is to be flashed every time you Dirty Flash the OTA Update.

banner_downlods.png

SourceForge

banner_features.png

Code:
    [LIST]

New and refreshed UI

New Customization app (previous named as DotExtras)

Accent Overlay & RGB Picker

Edge Lightning

Battery Styles

Battery Percentage Styles

Clock Customization

Traffic Indicator

Battery Light Customizations

QS Tiles title toggle

QS Tiles style toggle (AOSP & accent)

QS Rows & Columns Customization

New FOD Icon & Animation picker with previews

FOD recognition color picker

Screen-Off FOD

Automatically temporary disable night light while using FOD (toggle)

New Theme Manager

Overlays based Accent Picker

Material Palette Accent Picker

Smart Accent Picker (find automatically proper shade of accent for the other theme; if you apply custom accent for dark theme, press Smart Accent Picker and it will find a good shade to use for light theme and vice-versa)

Fonts, Icon Packs and Icon Shapes picker

Other Extra Features

Hold power to torch

Double tap on statusbar and lockscreen to sleep

Double tap while sleeping to open doze (ambient display)

Quick Screenshot (3 fingers gesture)

Volume Panel position switch (right or left)

Navigation bar pill size customization (hide, stock, medium, large)

Pocket Mode - avoid scree touches while the phone is in your pocket

Use Biometrics on first boot (unavailable for encrypted users)

Lockscreen Media toggle

Built-in Launcher Grid control

MicroG support

[CENTER]

[/LIST]

banner_credits.png

DotOSteam

AOSP

Pixel Experience

Dirty Unicorns

And all other open source Devs/Teams.

banner_team.png

Mohan CM - Founder/Core Developer

Sam Grande - UI Developer/Project Co-ordinator

Iacob Ionut - UI, UX Developer/ Core Developer

Sipun Kumar - Developer/Maintainer

Shreehari Vaasistha L - Developer/Maintainer

Special thanks:

Aswin
    - Graphics Designer

ShreeJoy - Web Backend Developer

Manish Bajpai - Web Frontend Developer[/SIZE]

Important Links

Liked The ROM? Want to Help Us? Then gift us some credits

banner_sources.png

dot OS source

dotOS-Device Sources

telegram.png

Telegram Group

Telegram Channel

web.png

Website

REPORTING BUGS!

As soon as the problem occurs, take a logcat!

for more READ THIS

and do not forget to send it to us 😜

header_logo_50.png

XDA DevDB Information

dotOS, ROM for Galaxy S9 (Snap)

Contributors: Nyoutaaa

Source Code:
    https://github.com/DotOS']://github.com/DotOS

Kernel Source::
    https://github.com/Nyoutaaa/android_kernel_samsung_sdm845

ROM OS Version: 11.x Android R

ROM Kernel: 4.9.18

ROM Firmware Required: Must be On latest Firmware

Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Enforcing

Current Stable Version: v5.0.1

Stable Release Date: 14-04-2021
    Guys, I have a situation.

Just downlaoded today, unlocked Bootloader and TWRP, flashed it after multidisabler and forceencrypt, and all was fine! Working good.

But now, in the night the phone battery was empty and I tried to charge it... to no avail! Absolutely nothing happens when plugging in. Tried wireless charging also, nothing works. Some people told in an old forum post that it could be corrupted kernel.

Is anybody experiencing it? How can I proceed?
    I had a similar issue, let the phone charge for a while and then try booting it with holding "Volume Down + Power" sometimes.

Idk why but when phone turns of with 0% it is a little hassle to turn it on again, but it will after charging for a while with holding power and/or Volume Down + Power.
    Hello, will there be a release for the Exynos Version of the S9(S9+)? I love this Rom but i can't find any for this European S9+.
    Thanks
    Ur comment is the one that isnt right,this thread was in Snapdragon section not exynos.
    Just noticed that now much apologies you are absolutely right