[ROM] Android 11 + mainline Linux Kernel for Sony Xperia M4 Aqua

Search This thread

pawloland

Jan 23, 2019
Sony Xperia 5 II
Do keep in mind that this ROM isnt ready for daily driving just yet. It is unstable for the moment.
It is worth mentioning what is not working.
Last time I used it I found those issues:
-no camera nor fm radio app (so I assume they are not working)
-no gps (location)
-no media playback (only works through web browser like firefox, which has media player built in so it doesn't depent on OS to play video I suppose). Newpipe, gallery or any other app that plays media and depend on OS for this functionality is crashing (missing codecs I guess)
-huge battery drain
-selinux problems
-no Google services (not a bug really since it is AOSP, but rather an inconvenience.)
-visual glithes like LSD halucination (most often observed in QS panel)
-I tried booting gsi lineage 17.1 but failed to do so ending with bootloop (I am a noob with gsi flashing so it may be my fault, and gsis are working fine, but I don't know how to flash them properly)
-wifi settings is't showing all available networks nerby. I was unable to find my hotspot network from second phone, but after I manually typed it (ssid, wpa2 key password) i was able to connect.
- audio is sometimes loud sometimes quiet even if I am not changing loudness.
- changing brightness is buggy

It is all I remember, of what wasn't working at the time.

Now here is the list of what is working and I am surprised it is at this stage:

-charging LED
-bt (sort of work, audio over bt is very unstable but I think it is tied to audio issue I mentioned previously, so once it is resolved, audio over bt may be working juat fine).
- wifi (expect for the bug mentioned earlier)

It would be cool to see m4 aqua run android 11 flawlessly, but I can demand that from the OP.

Last edited:

codeanit

Nov 25, 2020
Thanks. More details please.

@Cubbins, Thanks a lot for the resources.

I'm new beeee in this kinda things and would love to read more detail processes/steps that you followed to make those img files.
Also, there is an issue with network as it seems to be deactivated by default and there is no way to reactivate them.

At the moment I have not found a way to revert the phone back to its original state so would love to hear from you on this issue.

Thanks again. Cheers,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9635294

It is worth mentioning what is not working.
Last time I used it I found those issues:
-no camera nor fm radio app (so I assume they are not working)
-no gps (location)
-no media playback (only works through web browser like firefox, which has media player built in so it doesn't depent on OS to play video I suppose). Newpipe, gallery or any other app that plays media and depend on OS for this functionality is crashing (missing codecs I guess)
-huge battery drain
-selinux problems
-no Google services (not a bug really since it is AOSP, but rather an inconvenience.)
-visual glithes like LSD halucination (most often observed in QS panel)
-I tried booting gsi lineage 17.1 but failed to do so ending with bootloop (I am a noob with gsi flashing so it may be my fault, and gsis are working fine, but I don't know how to flash them properly)
-wifi settings is't showing all available networks nerby. I was unable to find my hotspot network from second phone, but after I manually typed it (ssid, wpa2 key password) i was able to connect.
- audio is sometimes loud sometimes quiet even if I am not changing loudness.
- changing brightness is buggy

It is all I remember, of what wasn't working at the time.

Now here is the list of what is working and I am surprised it is at this stage:

-charging LED
-bt (sort of work, audio over bt is very unstable but I think it is tied to audio issue I mentioned previously, so once it is resolved, audio over bt may be working juat fine).
- wifi (expect for the bug mentioned earlier)

It would be cool to see m4 aqua run android 11 flawlessly, but I can demand that from the OP.
Maybe camera (and fm radio) will work because my j730 does not have stock camera and i installed google camera go and it works.

Feb 4, 2021
I'm so impressed about your work!!! You really do make me regain the hope of my old device running smoothly again. I've been thinking about making custom ROMs myself, since there are a lot of old and unpopular devices lacking custom ROMs of a higher Android version. I'm really admire developers like you whose works revive old devices. Could you please simply describes what you have done to create such a ROM? Thanks!!! (Sorry about my poor English, I'm still learning it :)) @Cubbins

linccracker

Sep 23, 2013
What firmware version do I flash this over, as when I try my phone starts up and shows log scrolling past then reboots couple of times then gets stuck on log with penguins at the top, I've tried many times and also left it over an hour but it's stuck. So have to use flashtool too restore phone again.

It
What firmware version do I flash this over, as when I try my phone starts up and shows log scrolling past then reboots couple of times then gets stuck on log with penguins at the top, I've tried many times and also left it over an hour but it's stuck. So have to use flashtool too restore phone again.
It should be the latest firmware available for your device.

Reactions: linccracker

linccracker

Sep 23, 2013
Reflashed phone again , started it up , went through usual setup stuff , rebooted to fastboot and flashed rom .
But iit's still getting stuck on boot up .
Here is the firmware version i'm flashing over (see pic)
screenshot.png

bruno$0

Mar 26, 2014
Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
Sony Xperia XZ3
Dear Mr. @Cubbins , i flashed your rom and device boot up pretty fast. I have noticed that my touchscreen dosen't work. I have a M4 Aqua Dual (E2363). I can support your work with all you need if you say what i need to do. Maybe i can donate too if your project mininal working in my device.

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
Dear Mr. @Cubbins , i flashed your rom and device boot up pretty fast. I have noticed that my touchscreen dosen't work. I have a M4 Aqua Dual (E2363). I can support your work with all you need if you say what i need to do. Maybe i can donate too if your project mininal working in my device.
What if you try to boot a GSI from fastboot (with the 5.4 kernel boot.img, and vendor.img flashed)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    I'm not responsible if you destroy your device. Use at your own risk.

Description:
    First of all, I want to say thank my friend Pablo for the provided device. It wouldn't have happened without him.
    This is a pure Android 11 that runs on the mainline Linux Kernel.
    This project is part of my Linux kernel experiments and will be updated from time to time.

Current state:
    It is a very early stage, very unstable and has extremely limited functionality. Keep this in mind.
    What works:
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • Display
    • Sound (only main speaker at this moment)
    Known bugs:
    • Device stability
    • Screen flickering when changing brightness
    • TODO

Flashing instructions:
    1. Download and extract zip archive
    2. Flash the boot, system vendor and userdata images by entering the following commands in a terminal:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
      fastboot flash system system.img
      fastboot flash cache vendor.img
      fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    3. Unplug and boot device

Screenshots:
    Screenshot_20201004-133400.jpg

Screenshot_20201004-133441.png

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sL4m93ZErYgPleLQfVH8N1_KHkekYgj8

Kernel sources: https://github.com/bartcubbins/kernel_kanuti_mainline
    Android device tree sources: https://github.com/bartcubbins/device_sony_tulip-mainline

OS Version: Android 11
    Kernel version: 5.9.0-rc7
    Sorry for the inactivity and lack of support, but I have absolutely no free time for this project. The only way I can help at this point is some advice if anyone decides to continue working on this.
    I would never expect anyone to pick up old and forgotten m4 aqua and give it any custom ROM. I am positively surprised here. What is even more insane is that m4 aqua will be my first device running android 11 ?! Life is so unpredictable.
    I would never expect anyone to pick up old and forgotten m4 aqua and give it any custom ROM. I am positively surprised here. What is even more insane is that m4 aqua will be my first device running android 11 ?!

I'm glad to hear that, but please note this is very unstable at the current stage.

Life is so unpredictable.
    it is;)
    I have the same error in E2303