• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Android 11][UNOFFICIAL]LineageOS 18.1[LG G8][alphalm]

Search This thread

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
los-banner.png

LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for US LG G8 (G820*)

LineageOS (also known as “Lineage”) is a free and open-source operating system based on Android. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod.

Code:
#include "std_disclaimer.h"
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

This is an unofficial build of Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) for the US LG G8.

THIS IS NOT A GSI

This should work on all carriers!

This will only work for the US LG G8.
This will only work for alphalm, not alphaplus.

This will not work on the 'G8s' or the 'G8x'.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This has only been tested on two devices, a T-Mobile G8 and an Open US G8. There shouldn't be any issues with other carriers, but in case there are it would be a good idea to heed the following:

Please backup all important data before installing this ROM. It's a good idea to become familiar with EDL on the G8, so a backup of all phone partitions can be made before installing anything through TWRP. As stated above, I am not responsible for any bricks, hard or otherwise. This is good practice before installing anything on your device.

Bootloader Must Be Unlocked
There's a guide for this linked below. This step is a must.
This must be installed from TWRP or other custom recovery on stock.
Please make sure latest stock firmware is installed. This may not be completely
necessary, but having an old firmware image installed has caused me
issues with call audio and such while developing this ROM.

What Works
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • Call/SMS
  • Data 2G/3G/LTE
  • Camera (GCam is required for wide angle back camera)
  • Audio
  • NFC
  • GPay Contactless Payments (Requires Magisk Hide)
  • Hotspot
  • Google Assistant Voice Match
  • Nearly Everything!
What Doesn't Work
  • VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS - LG has a complicated proprietary IMS, so no VoLTE at all!
  • Assistant Voice Match while screen is off
  • AOD (I'm working on this)
  • Please let me know in the comments

Requirements

1. US LG G8 on any carrier
  2. Latest firmware installed on device (may work with older firmware but results will vary)
  3. Latest unofficial LineageOS zip (on github, linked in thread) and TWRP zip (attached to thread)
  4. SD Card or adb for sideloading (see step 5)
  5. PC with Windows (Linux is possible if you know what you're doing. Check out bkerler/edl on github, it works the same way as QFIL, but requires a small amount of Linux knowledge/experience.)

How to install
  1. Unlock Bootloader and root with Magisk (Follow guide linked below)
  2. Make a backup of all your data (I strongly recommend making a backup of your partitions with qfil (or EDL for linux users))
  3. Download TWRP and the Lineage zip
  4. Installl TWRP (Follow quick guide in attached archive)
  5. Place Lineage zip and anything you want to install through recovery on external SD card (Can also be sideloaded with 'adb sideload', If so, skip this step)
  6. Boot into TWRP or other custom recovery with volume and power shortcut
  7. Install Lineage zip from sdcard or sideload (I always recommend sd, there's less to go wrong)
  8. Once it completes, reboot into recovery again. There's an option for this in TWRP to skip the button combo. TWRP IS GONE. YOU WILL BOOT INTO LINEAGE RECOVERY. USE THIS FOR REMAINING STEPS.
  9. Format Data (This is completely necessary. You will be returned to recovery on boot if you do not follow this step.)
  10. Install Gapps, Magisk, and anything else from sd or with adb sideload. (If you don't want/need root, you can skip installing Magisk
  11. Format Data Again (System will send you back to recovery to do it if you don't)
  12. Reboot to system and enjoy!
A big thanks to SGCMarkus for everything he has done for LG devices on this platform. This wouldn't be possible without his work. Go buy him a coffee or something!

Big thanks to those I haven't named from the V50 G8 G8s Telegram group as well

Other Credits

J0SH1X
enforc

Links

Guide For Unlocking Bootloader

Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

posted by Seasee606

GCam For Wide Angle Back Camera

GCam Hub MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i

Go to this link and download MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i_libs_MGC.apk
Others will work, but some not as well. I've noticed some issues with this version crashing. If you experience this, try other versions from the link above.

GApps

Only install GApps packages for Android 11!

NikGApps
Highly recommended. (Because I use it and I know it works, it doesn't necessarily mean it's best though.) Follow download buttons. Go to Releases > NikGapps-R. Packages will be here. Info about what each package contains is on the page linked above.

MindTheGApps
I've tried this once and It seemed alright, but it was a little minimal for my taste. It's linked by LineageOS so it's here.

OpenGapps
I haven't tried this at all, but it's also linked by LineageOS so it should be here.

Download

Release: LineageOS 18.1
Release Date: 2021-10-13
MD5: 8e63d765ea7fe90c6fe9ebf4975c2a35
Filename: lineage-18.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-alphalm-signed.zip
Size: 908 MB (951854628 B)
Device: LM-G820 USA
Android Version: 11

Download from Github

Release Page

Sources / Device Tree

https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alpha-common
https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alphalm
https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_sm8150-common
https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_common/tree/76432f76c5994bd1033d01150433f081a8c6dee3
https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_kernel_lge_sm8150
https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_hardware_lge/tree/lineage-18.1
https://github.com/xmusjackson/proprietary_vendor_lge_alpha

Screenshots

Screenshot_20211014-142150_Updater.png
Screenshot_20211014-135754_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211014-135817_LineageOS_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211014-142111.png

Screenshots from LM-G820QM7 (Open US)

Attached is a copy of the archive containing TWRP for the G8. I downloaded this from telegram and take no credits, there just isn't a thread about this here that I've seen. The instructions to install are included in the archive.
Please let me know of any bugs in the comments!
Thanks!

Attachments

• TWRPG8.zip
    25 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

lufan

Oct 10, 2006
OnePlus 8T
After two days of use, I found that the functions of always on display are abnormal, and the side Google buttons cannot be customized

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
After two days of use, I found that the functions of always on display are abnormal, and the side Google buttons cannot be customized
There's a feature in Lineage called Ambient Display, alongside AOD. It's hard to find in settings, but if you go to your quick settings tiles and tap the edit button, there will be a tile for Ambient Display to add. Disabling this made the display behave more normally for me.
If this does not fix your problem, please elaborate

As for the side Google buttons, I'm not sure what you're referring to, please be more specific.

Natedanver_99

Jul 21, 2012
Hanoi
Thank you for your efforts!
I was about to get rid of my Sprint G8 for not receiving any software updates for half a year haha
Edit: Just installed and its working flawlessly on Sprint G8

Last edited:

btbochs

Oct 20, 2018
Thank you!
I tested MindTheGapps, contacts and calendar couldn't sync, because google play service had no rights.
Just set the rights, it's perfect.

lufan

Oct 10, 2006
OnePlus 8T
There's a feature in Lineage called Ambient Display, alongside AOD. It's hard to find in settings, but if you go to your quick settings tiles and tap the edit button, there will be a tile for Ambient Display to add. Disabling this made the display behave more normally for me.
If this does not fix your problem, please elaborate

As for the side Google buttons, I'm not sure what you're referring to, please be more specific.
Thank you for your reply. I tried to turn off ambient display and turn on AOD. After locking the screen, AOD information will be displayed for a second or two, then flash once and disappear

Eudisleo1329

Oct 18, 2021
First of all Thank you for your great work you saved the life of my Lg G8, so I will tell my experience after 3 days of use, deactivate everything that would have to do with the AOD because it is not working correctly even though in my case It is not essential, the ROM is really smooth and everything else works correctly, I am using it with Open GApps and it has not given me problems, the truth is the ROM is on the right track, but I only had a problem and it is time to playing the device hangs it stays bibrando until it forces the closing of the app, it does not always do it but when it happens annoying, I also feel that it does not go so fluid in the games compared to the stock, but it is nothing serious perhaps with a better kernel you can get more out of the ROM but for the moment it is a great advance for the LG G8 and again Thanks for your work!.

orkhan96

Oct 22, 2021
hi. can i do this with lg lmg820um Android 9 pie version. I will be glad if you answer

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021
Alrighty, So I've been using the ROM for 2 days and I have a minor grievance with the OS itself which I'm sure is out of your control, Wallpaper zoom is incredibly annoying and the most common work around is an app called KLWP which is compatible with stock rom but not this one. My current solution is an app called SB Wallpaper Changer, under portrait setting it to single and Fixed, fixes the problem. But this breaks any system function that bases colors on the wallpapers color.

That all being said TYVM OP, stock rom on my device was falling apart at the seams, and while it may have taken me 15 hours to get LOS working it's ages better than stock.

Also edit: MY Phone was a Model LM-G820TM but reported as a 850UM in LG Bridge, don't even wanna know why. Android Reports LM-G820 after unlock and LOS

Last edited:

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021
Ok so I'm about a week in, the fingerprint scanner is just, gone. It's not that it isn't reading, it's just not an option. The fingerprint scanner is completely gone from the system settings, any attempt to communicate with it fail immediately. it just, disapeared from the software. Restarting or factory reseting didn't do anything, it's still gone.

Edit: Gonna try and go through recover to update then reflash if needed, pain

Edit 2: reflashed, still gone

Last edited:

Eudisleo1329

Oct 18, 2021
Ok so I'm about a week in, the fingerprint scanner is just, gone. It's not that it isn't reading, it's just not an option. The fingerprint scanner is completely gone from the system settings, any attempt to communicate with it fail immediately. it just, disapeared from the software. Restarting or factory reseting didn't do anything, it's still gone.

Edit: Gonna try and go through recover to update then reflash if needed, pain

Edit 2: reflashed, still gone

How strange I have been for 2 weeks and I still have not had that problem in relation to fingerprints, will the sensor of your device have been damaged?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A full reflash does not bring the sensor back, at least on my device. It comes back at seemingly random intervals after extended periods of being powered off or unused. since it persists past reflash It might be a safe assumption that it's something to do with the bootloader's unlocked state?
    A bootloader's unlocked state has nothing to do with what's on the partitions. Nothing on your storage will be saved or deleted because you have an unlocked bootloader. It just gives you the ability to boot with them in a non-stock state.

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked will not affect whether the fingerprint scanner service detects the hardware or not. At this point, a hardware issue is seeming like the only answer.

If you want to be sure, get a different G8 and install this ROM on it. I have two here that do not have this issue at all.
    los-banner.png

LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for US LG G8 (G820*)

LineageOS (also known as “Lineage”) is a free and open-source operating system based on Android. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is an unofficial build of Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) for the US LG G8.

THIS IS NOT A GSI

This should work on all carriers!

This will only work for the US LG G8.
    This will only work for alphalm, not alphaplus.

This will not work on the 'G8s' or the 'G8x'.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This has only been tested on two devices, a T-Mobile G8 and an Open US G8. There shouldn't be any issues with other carriers, but in case there are it would be a good idea to heed the following:

Please backup all important data before installing this ROM. It's a good idea to become familiar with EDL on the G8, so a backup of all phone partitions can be made before installing anything through TWRP. As stated above, I am not responsible for any bricks, hard or otherwise. This is good practice before installing anything on your device.

Bootloader Must Be Unlocked
    There's a guide for this linked below. This step is a must.
    This must be installed from TWRP or other custom recovery on stock.
    Please make sure latest stock firmware is installed. This may not be completely
    necessary, but having an old firmware image installed has caused me
    issues with call audio and such while developing this ROM.

What Works
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi
    • Call/SMS
    • Data 2G/3G/LTE
    • Camera (GCam is required for wide angle back camera)
    • Audio
    • NFC
    • GPay Contactless Payments (Requires Magisk Hide)
    • Hotspot
    • Google Assistant Voice Match
    • Nearly Everything!
    What Doesn't Work
    • VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS - LG has a complicated proprietary IMS, so no VoLTE at all!
    • Assistant Voice Match while screen is off
    • AOD (I'm working on this)
    • Please let me know in the comments

Requirements

1. US LG G8 on any carrier
    2. Latest firmware installed on device (may work with older firmware but results will vary)
    3. Latest unofficial LineageOS zip (on github, linked in thread) and TWRP zip (attached to thread)
    4. SD Card or adb for sideloading (see step 5)
    5. PC with Windows (Linux is possible if you know what you're doing. Check out bkerler/edl on github, it works the same way as QFIL, but requires a small amount of Linux knowledge/experience.)

How to install
    1. Unlock Bootloader and root with Magisk (Follow guide linked below)
    2. Make a backup of all your data (I strongly recommend making a backup of your partitions with qfil (or EDL for linux users))
    3. Download TWRP and the Lineage zip
    4. Installl TWRP (Follow quick guide in attached archive)
    5. Place Lineage zip and anything you want to install through recovery on external SD card (Can also be sideloaded with 'adb sideload', If so, skip this step)
    6. Boot into TWRP or other custom recovery with volume and power shortcut
    7. Install Lineage zip from sdcard or sideload (I always recommend sd, there's less to go wrong)
    8. Once it completes, reboot into recovery again. There's an option for this in TWRP to skip the button combo. TWRP IS GONE. YOU WILL BOOT INTO LINEAGE RECOVERY. USE THIS FOR REMAINING STEPS.
    9. Format Data (This is completely necessary. You will be returned to recovery on boot if you do not follow this step.)
    10. Install Gapps, Magisk, and anything else from sd or with adb sideload. (If you don't want/need root, you can skip installing Magisk
    11. Format Data Again (System will send you back to recovery to do it if you don't)
    12. Reboot to system and enjoy!
    A big thanks to SGCMarkus for everything he has done for LG devices on this platform. This wouldn't be possible without his work. Go buy him a coffee or something!

Big thanks to those I haven't named from the V50 G8 G8s Telegram group as well

Other Credits

J0SH1X
    enforc

Links

Guide For Unlocking Bootloader

Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

posted by Seasee606

GCam For Wide Angle Back Camera

GCam Hub MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i

Go to this link and download MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i_libs_MGC.apk
    Others will work, but some not as well. I've noticed some issues with this version crashing. If you experience this, try other versions from the link above.

GApps

Only install GApps packages for Android 11!

NikGApps
    Highly recommended. (Because I use it and I know it works, it doesn't necessarily mean it's best though.) Follow download buttons. Go to Releases > NikGapps-R. Packages will be here. Info about what each package contains is on the page linked above.

MindTheGApps
    I've tried this once and It seemed alright, but it was a little minimal for my taste. It's linked by LineageOS so it's here.

OpenGapps
    I haven't tried this at all, but it's also linked by LineageOS so it should be here.

Download

Release: LineageOS 18.1
    Release Date: 2021-10-13
    MD5: 8e63d765ea7fe90c6fe9ebf4975c2a35
    Filename: lineage-18.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-alphalm-signed.zip
    Size: 908 MB (951854628 B)
    Device: LM-G820 USA
    Android Version: 11

Download from Github

Release Page

Sources / Device Tree

https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alpha-common
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alphalm
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_sm8150-common
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_common/tree/76432f76c5994bd1033d01150433f081a8c6dee3
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_kernel_lge_sm8150
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_hardware_lge/tree/lineage-18.1
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/proprietary_vendor_lge_alpha

Screenshots

Screenshot_20211014-142150_Updater.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135754_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135817_LineageOS_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-142111.png

Screenshots from LM-G820QM7 (Open US)

Attached is a copy of the archive containing TWRP for the G8. I downloaded this from telegram and take no credits, there just isn't a thread about this here that I've seen. The instructions to install are included in the archive.
    Please let me know of any bugs in the comments!
    Thanks!
    Can i install rom for G820N Korea ?
    Can you help me fix vibration for G820N ?
    I using Los gsi rom but my phone hadn't vibration
    I don't think this rom would work on your device, but I could be wrong. Either way, I do not recommend trying it. Also, I've never used a GSI but I've heard they're buggy in general.
    hi. can i do this with lg lmg820um Android 9 pie version. I will be glad if you answer
    I don't think this would work. Your device's firmware should be updated to android 10. The ROM does not install this, it is retained from original stock ROM. This would probably result in a brick.
    A full reflash does not bring the sensor back, at least on my device. It comes back at seemingly random intervals after extended periods of being powered off or unused. since it persists past reflash It might be a safe assumption that it's something to do with the bootloader's unlocked state?
    A bootloader's unlocked state has nothing to do with what's on the partitions. Nothing on your storage will be saved or deleted because you have an unlocked bootloader. It just gives you the ability to boot with them in a non-stock state.

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked will not affect whether the fingerprint scanner service detects the hardware or not. At this point, a hardware issue is seeming like the only answer.

If you want to be sure, get a different G8 and install this ROM on it. I have two here that do not have this issue at all.