- Nov 3, 2017
LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for US LG G8 (G820*)
LineageOS (also known as “Lineage”) is a free and open-source operating system based on Android. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod.
#include "std_disclaimer.h" /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */
This is an unofficial build of Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) for the US LG G8.
THIS IS NOT A GSI
This should work on all carriers!
This will only work for the US LG G8.
This will only work for alphalm, not alphaplus.
This will not work on the 'G8s' or the 'G8x'.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
This has only been tested on two devices, a T-Mobile G8 and an Open US G8. There shouldn't be any issues with other carriers, but in case there are it would be a good idea to heed the following:
Please backup all important data before installing this ROM. It's a good idea to become familiar with EDL on the G8, so a backup of all phone partitions can be made before installing anything through TWRP. As stated above, I am not responsible for any bricks, hard or otherwise. This is good practice before installing anything on your device.
Bootloader Must Be Unlocked
There's a guide for this linked below. This step is a must.
This must be installed from TWRP or other custom recovery on stock.
Please make sure latest stock firmware is installed. This may not be completely
necessary, but having an old firmware image installed has caused me
issues with call audio and such while developing this ROM.
- Data 2G/3G/LTE
- Camera (GCam is required for wide angle back camera)
- GPay Contactless Payments (Requires Magisk Hide)
- Google Assistant Voice Match
- Nearly Everything!
- VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS - LG has a complicated proprietary IMS, so no VoLTE at all!
- Assistant Voice Match while screen is off (This is a limitation of lineage imposed by google, nothing to do here)
- AOD (I'm working on this)
- Please let me know in the comments
- US LG G8 on any carrier
- Latest firmware installed on device (may work with older firmware but results will vary)
- Latest unofficial LineageOS zip (on github, linked in thread) and TWRP zip (attached to thread)
- SD Card or adb for sideloading (see step 5)
- PC with Windows (Linux is possible if you know what you're doing. Check out bkerler/edl on github, it works the same way as QFIL, but requires a small amount of Linux knowledge/experience.)
How to install
- Unlock Bootloader and root with Magisk (Follow guide linked below)
- Make a backup of all your data (I stronly recommend making a backup of your partitions with qfil (or EDL for linux users))
- Download TWRP and the Lineage zip
- Installl TWRP (Follow quick guide in attached archive)
- Place Lineage zip and anything you want to install through recovery on external SD card (Can also be sideloaded with 'adb sideload', If so, skip this step)
- Boot into TWRP or other custom recovery with volume and power shortcut
- Install Lineage zip from sdcard or sideload (I always recommend sd, there's less to go wrong)
- Once it completes, reboot into recovery again. There's an option for this in TWRP to skip the button combo. TWRP IS GONE. YOU WILL BOOT INTO LINEAGE RECOVERY. USE THIS FOR REMAINING STEPS.
- Format Data (This is completely necessary. You will be returned to recovery on boot if you do not follow this step.)
- Install Gapps, Magisk, and anything else from sd or with adb sideload. (If you don't want/need root, you can skip installing Magisk
- Format Data Again (System will send you back to recovery to do it if you don't)
- Reboot to system and enjoy!
Big thanks to those I haven't named from the V50 G8 G8s Telegram group as well
Guide For Unlocking Bootloader
posted by Seasee606
GCam For Wide Angle Back Camera
GCam Hub MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i
Go to this link and download MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i_libs_MGC.apk
Others will work, but some not as well. I've noticed some issues with this version crashing. If you experience this, try other versions from the link above.
Only install GApps packages for Android 11!
Highly recommended. (Because I use it and I know it works, it doesn't necessarily mean it's best though.) Follow download buttons. Go to Releases > NikGapps-R. Packages will be here. Info about what each package contains is on the page linked above.
I've tried this once and It seemed alright, but it was a little minimal for my taste. It's linked by LineageOS so it's here.
I haven't tried this at all, but it's also linked by LineageOS so it should be here.
Release: LineageOS 18.1
Release Date: 2021-10-13
Device: LM-G820 USA
Android Version: 11
Download from Github
Sources / Device Tree
Screenshots from LM-G820QM7 (Open US)
Attached is a copy of the archive containing TWRP for the G8. I downloaded this from telegram and take no credits, there just isn't a thread about this here that I've seen. The instructions to install are included in the archive.
Please let me know of any bugs in the comments!