• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Android 11][UNOFFICIAL]LineageOS 18.1[LG G8][alphalm]

Search This thread

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
Ok so I'm about a week in, the fingerprint scanner is just, gone. It's not that it isn't reading, it's just not an option. The fingerprint scanner is completely gone from the system settings, any attempt to communicate with it fail immediately. it just, disapeared from the software. Restarting or factory reseting didn't do anything, it's still gone.

Edit: Gonna try and go through recover to update then reflash if needed, pain

Edit 2: reflashed, still gone
That's strange. I've seen this issue in some of the early builds of the rom, but I believe formatting data solved it. Does FP work if you reinstall LOS without installing GApps? You could have success with a different distribution of GApps. (There are a few options in the GApps section.) Sometimes GApps overwrites features that are already present in the rom, and every so often it breaks things. One such example is that if you install NikGapps-stock or the NikGApps pixel launcher addon package without disabling "QuickAccessWallet" via a configuration file (more on this configuration file here,) you won't be able to access your cards from the Power menu.
Edit to add: I've also seen people's FP just stop working, even in stock. Sometimes the hardware just goes bad.

Last edited:

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021
That's strange. I've seen this issue in some of the early builds of the rom, but I believe formatting data solved it. Does FP work if you reinstall LOS without installing GApps? You could have success with a different distribution of GApps. (There are a few options in the GApps section.) Sometimes GApps overwrites features that are already present in the rom, and every so often it breaks things. One such example is that if you install NikGapps-stock or the NikGApps pixel launcher addon package without disabling "QuickAccessWallet" via a configuration file (more on this configuration file here,) you won't be able to access your cards from the Power menu.
Edit to add: I've also seen people's FP just stop working, even in stock. Sometimes the hardware just goes bad.
I want to say it's hardware, but the fingerprint sensor just mysteriously comes back after being powered off for a period of time ( it disappears after a few hours of use.) also I've done everything short of trying to change the kernel. The fingerprint reader did has minor issues before switching but they were only minor, like it not being able to wake the phone. but that issue was due more too the proxy sensor.

starboi4eva

Sep 23, 2013
Sangre Grande
LG G8
I want to say it's hardware, but the fingerprint sensor just mysteriously comes back after being powered off for a period of time ( it disappears after a few hours of use.) also I've done everything short of trying to change the kernel. The fingerprint reader did has minor issues before switching but they were only minor, like it not being able to wake the phone. but that issue was due more too the proxy sensor.
Can confirm this fingerprint issue. The first time it happened a few weeks ago I panicked and thought the fingerprint was gone forever from the rom but after a few hard restarts it was back. The sensor also doesn't register input sometimes as well. It temporarily doesn't work and starts working after locking and unlocking the phone (lockscreen).

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021
Can confirm this fingerprint issue. The first time it happened a few weeks ago I panicked and thought the fingerprint was gone forever from the rom but after a few hard restarts it was back. The sensor also doesn't register input sometimes as well. It temporarily doesn't work and starts working after locking and unlocking the phone (lockscreen).
(Sorry for bad formatting I'm on mobile)
Just Replying to say my phones symptoms are completely identical.

I used Mind the Gapps (open gaps and the one op recommended either bricked or wouldn't finish Google/Android setup) and I did not flash Magisk, my phone's a US T-Mobile Varriant.

Last edited:

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
I used Mind the Gapps (open gaps and the one op recommended either bricked or wouldn't finish Google/Android setup) and I did not flash Magisk, my phone's a US T-Mobile Varriant.
Its odd that NikGapps won't work for you, this was originally developed using a us T-Mobile variant with nikgapps-stock

As far as fingerprint goes, i've noticed this happen but I believe there's a feature that disables the scanner if so many incorrect attempts are logged (something in a pocket?) I think it should reset after a lock and unlock though, and I haven't seen this issue more than once or twice.
You could check logcat for anything relating to "goodix" or "android.hardware.biometrics" to see if there's an obvious error. If I get the issue again, I'll check my logs.

Last edited:

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021
Its odd that NikGapps won't work for you, this was originally developed using a us T-Mobile variant with nikgapps-stock

As far as fingerprint goes, ive noticed this hapen but I believe there's a feature that disables the scanner if so many incorrect attempts are logged (something in a pocket?) I think it should reset after a lock and unlock though, and I haven't seen this issue more than once or twice.
You could check logcat for anything relating to "goodix" or "android.hardware.biometrics" to see if there's an obvious error. If I get the issue again, I'll check my logs.
A full reflash does not bring the sensor back, at least on my device. It comes back at seemingly random intervals after extended periods of being powered off or unused. since it persists past reflash It might be a safe assumption that it's something to do with the bootloader's unlocked state?

I can't relock my bootloader or access it in the least, and I still get the warning prompt on boot.

I'll look into logcat when I have time and a PC

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
A full reflash does not bring the sensor back, at least on my device. It comes back at seemingly random intervals after extended periods of being powered off or unused. since it persists past reflash It might be a safe assumption that it's something to do with the bootloader's unlocked state?

I can't relock my bootloader or access it in the least, and I still get the warning prompt on boot.

I'll look into logcat when I have time and a PC
The bootloader being unlocked should have no bearing on the way your system works. All it does is allow the system to boot a boot image not signed by LG.

This really does sound like a hardware issue, but definitely look into logcat to be sure.

In order to get access to fastboot to relock your bootloader, you first have to make sure you're on full stock rom, by flashing a kdz or the appropriate images (system, vendor, product, etc...)
Then reflash the engineering abl, as described in the bootloader unlock thread.
Use fastboot to then relock bootloader with 'fastboot oem lock'
You could try this if you want to be sure, but I really don't think an unlocked bootloader is going to affect any hardware or software on the phone.

Skye_h

Oct 24, 2021

As far as fingerprint goes, ive noticed this hapen but I believe there's a feature that disables the scanner if so many incorrect attempts are logged (something in a pocket?) I think it should reset after a lock and unlock though, and I haven't seen this issue more than once or twice.

The bootloader being unlocked should have no bearing on the way your system works. All it does is allow the system to boot a boot image not signed by LG.

This really does sound like a hardware issue, but definitely look into logcat to be sure.

In order to get access to fastboot to relock your bootloader, you first have to make sure you're on full stock rom, by flashing a kdz or the appropriate images (system, vendor, product, etc...)
Then reflash the engineering abl, as described in the bootloader unlock thread.
Use fastboot to then relock bootloader with 'fastboot oem lock'
You could try this if you want to be sure, but I really don't think an unlocked bootloader is going to affect any hardware or software on the phone.
I know an unlocked bootloader normally would have no bearing, since I've done this with other phones. However it's LG and it took us a few years to unravel their spaghetti. Probably just missing a piece of spaghetti code that makes the sensor work properly. If multiple people have an identical issue that seems like it's hardware either they messed up a batch, or knew about the issue and just spaghetti coded over it

Though Im not qualified to know for sure lol.

RaskloP

May 26, 2011
Saskatoon
I think the LG G8 fingerprint sensor might just be universally a bit defective. I have a Sprint LG G8 that is completely stock; I did not unlock my boot loader and I did not install this ROM. Still the fingerprint sensor is temperamental. It often does not register touch events unless I power the screen off then on, or reboot, or have to retry touching a few times.

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
A bootloader's unlocked state has nothing to do with what's on the partitions. Nothing on your storage will be saved or deleted because you have an unlocked bootloader. It just gives you the ability to boot with them in a non-stock state.

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked will not affect whether the fingerprint scanner service detects the hardware or not. At this point, a hardware issue is seeming like the only answer.

If you want to be sure, get a different G8 and install this ROM on it. I have two here that do not have this issue at all.

Reactions: starboi4eva

mdowiseali

Aug 12, 2019
Installed today, took me a few hours from bootloader unlock to lineage OS and Gapps installation. The results are worth. The rom is so smooth and perfect, a lot better than stock rom. Discover app could not find the biometric for finger print login. But that's not a big deal. Thanks a lot for your work.
Lg g8 LM-G820TM confirmed working perfectly.
Screenshot_20211207-011120_Pixel_Launcher.png
Screenshot_20211207-011136_Pixel_Launcher.png
Screenshot_20211207-011144_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211207-011159_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211207-011215_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211207-011247_Discover.png

Last edited:

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
It's strange that Discover is not detecting biometrics, I have several apps including Paypal, A local banking app, acorns, my apartment management company's resident portal app, and more that detect it without an issue. Which distribution of Gapps did you use, this could be the issue (or something needs some changing on my part). Please test with other apps, such as the paypal or acorns app, if you have such accounts.

mdowiseali

Aug 12, 2019
It's strange that Discover is not detecting biometrics, I have several apps including Paypal, A local banking app, acorns, my apartment management company's resident portal app, and more that detect it without an issue. Which distribution of Gapps did you use, this could be the issue (or something needs some changing on my part). Please test with other apps, such as the paypal or acorns app, if you have such accounts.
I used Nikgapps ( basic). Yeah, you are right. That's the only app that won't recognize the finger print reader. My credit union app registered the finger print right away after choosing the biometric as login.I did try reinstalling the app but no luck.

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
I used Nikgapps ( basic). Yeah, you are right. That's the only app that won't recognize the finger print reader. My credit union app registered the finger print right away after choosing the biometric as login.I did try reinstalling the app but no luck.
Perhaps theres a function in the app that detects root. Perhaps you could try using Magiskhide and Magiskhide props config to pass safetynet. Props for the G8 were just added to the spoof list too. The above setup allows me to use contactless payments with GPay, so mayabe it could solve your issue.

therealrayzzor

Jul 6, 2010
Neo Louisiana
Quick question for anyone who can help. Been using the rom for about a week and all is good, but now I want to install magisk. Just wondering if going through the steps to root will keep my current setup and data or will it require me to fully wipe the rom?

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
Quick question for anyone who can help. Been using the rom for about a week and all is good, but now I want to install magisk. Just wondering if going through the steps to root will keep my current setup and data or will it require me to fully wipe the rom?
Just download the latest Magisk apk from github and rename the file to magisk.zip.
Install that file in recovery either by placing it on your external SD card or by adb sideload.
This should not wipe your data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i was trying it out, i ended flashing my backup via Qfile and then i flashed LOS 17.1 GSI via TWRP and it works sooo soo smooth that im not flashing it again its great and everything seems to work
    I'm glad you figured out something that works for you.
    Will I still have Twrp recovery on Slot A?

If yes, I have Arrow on Slot B (active slot atm) and stock on slot A. If I boot to recovery for A (twrp) and make slot a my active slot, would the new flashed lineage rom go to slot b automatically?
    You will have twrp on whichever slot you installed it on. I'm not sure if that TWRP installer will work for non stock as it was designed for stock (to my knowledge).
    When you install Lineage via this zip, it installs the partitions listed near the top of the first post titled "Important Partitions" to the unbooted slot. But you should retain TWRP on slot B if that's the active slot when you installed it. The zip installs lineage recovery on the unbooted slot, so you will not be able to access TWRP. A small amount of work has been done on this by others and I've attempted to create a bootable TWRP image once but it's not working currently and with school I don't have much time to work on it further.
    los-banner.png

LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for US LG G8 (G820*)

LineageOS (also known as “Lineage”) is a free and open-source operating system based on Android. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is an unofficial build of Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) for the US LG G8.

THIS IS NOT A GSI

This works on all carriers!

This will only work for the US LG G8.
    This will only work for alphalm, not alphaplus.

This will not work on the 'G8s' or the 'G8x'.
    This will not work on Korean models.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Partition Backup:
    Please backup all important partitions and data before installing this ROM. THis is very important for certain carriers including AT&T, as they do not provide the KDZ firmware files, so once you install lineage, you may not easily be able to go back if you haven't made a backup, though it's a good idea for anyone attempting to install any rom on any device.

Important partitions are:
    boot
    product
    vendor
    dtbo
    vbmeta
    system

Make a backup of these in QFIL (both _a and _b slots of each, You will need to use QFIL during the following bootloader unlock guide so you can make this backup during that process.

Bootloader Must Be Unlocked
    There's a guide for this linked below. This step is a must.
    This must be installed from TWRP or other custom recovery on stock.
    Please make sure latest stock firmware is installed. This may not be completely
    necessary, but having an old firmware image installed has caused me
    issues with call audio and such while developing this ROM.

What Works
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi
    • Call/SMS
    • Data 2G/3G/LTE
    • Camera (GCam is required for wide angle back camera)
    • Audio
    • NFC
    • GPay Contactless Payments (Requires Magisk Hide)
    • Hotspot
    • Google Assistant Voice Match
    • Nearly Everything!
    What Doesn't Work
    • VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS - LG has a complicated proprietary IMS, so no VoLTE at all!
    • Assistant Voice Match while screen is off
    • AOD (I'm working on this)
    • Please let me know in the comments

Requirements

1. US LG G8 on any carrier
    2. Latest firmware installed on device (may work with older firmware but results will vary)
    3. Latest unofficial LineageOS zip (on github, linked in thread) and TWRP zip (attached to thread)
    4. SD Card or adb for sideloading (see step 5)
    5. PC with Windows (Linux is possible if you know what you're doing. Check out bkerler/edl on github, it works the same way as QFIL, but requires a small amount of Linux knowledge/experience.)

How to install
    1. Unlock Bootloader and root with Magisk (Follow guide linked below)
    2. Make a backup of all your data (I strongly recommend making a backup of your partitions with qfil (or EDL for linux users))
    3. Download TWRP and the Lineage zip
    4. Installl TWRP (Follow quick guide in attached archive)
    5. Place Lineage zip and anything you want to install through recovery on external SD card (Can also be sideloaded with 'adb sideload', If so, skip this step)
    6. Boot into TWRP or other custom recovery with volume and power shortcut
    7. Install Lineage zip from sdcard or sideload (I always recommend sd, there's less to go wrong)
    8. Once it completes, reboot into recovery again. There's an option for this in TWRP to skip the button combo. TWRP IS GONE. YOU WILL BOOT INTO LINEAGE RECOVERY. USE THIS FOR REMAINING STEPS.
    9. Format Data (This is completely necessary. You will be returned to recovery on boot if you do not follow this step.)
    10. Install Gapps, Magisk, and anything else from sd or with adb sideload. (If you don't want/need root, you can skip installing Magisk
    11. Format Data Again (System will send you back to recovery to do it if you don't)
    12. Reboot to system and enjoy!
    A big thanks to SGCMarkus for everything he has done for LG devices on this platform. This wouldn't be possible without his work. Go buy him a coffee or something!

Big thanks to those I haven't named from the V50 G8 G8s Telegram group as well

Other Credits

J0SH1X
    enforc

Links

Guide For Unlocking Bootloader

Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

posted by Seasee606

GCam For Wide Angle Back Camera

GCam Hub MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i

Go to this link and download MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i_libs_MGC.apk
    Others will work, but some not as well. I've noticed some issues with this version crashing. If you experience this, try other versions from the link above.

GApps

Only install GApps packages for Android 11!

NikGApps
    Highly recommended. (Because I use it and I know it works, it doesn't necessarily mean it's best though.) Follow download buttons. Go to Releases > NikGapps-R. Packages will be here. Info about what each package contains is on the page linked above.

MindTheGApps
    I've tried this once and It seemed alright, but it was a little minimal for my taste. It's linked by LineageOS so it's here.

OpenGapps
    I haven't tried this at all, but it's also linked by LineageOS so it should be here.

Download

Release: LineageOS 18.1
    Release Date: 2021-10-13
    MD5: 8e63d765ea7fe90c6fe9ebf4975c2a35
    Filename: lineage-18.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-alphalm-signed.zip
    Size: 908 MB (951854628 B)
    Device: LM-G820 USA
    Android Version: 11

Download from Github

Release Page

Sources / Device Tree

https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alpha-common
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alphalm
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_sm8150-common
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_common/tree/76432f76c5994bd1033d01150433f081a8c6dee3
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_kernel_lge_sm8150
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_hardware_lge/tree/64bef53ae00f0496e35bc59a61a07ad40537d706
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/proprietary_vendor_lge_alpha

Screenshots

Screenshot_20211014-142150_Updater.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135754_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135817_LineageOS_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-142111.png

Screenshots from LM-G820QM7 (Open US)

Attached is a copy of the archive containing TWRP for the G8. I downloaded this from telegram and take no credits, there just isn't a thread about this here that I've seen. The instructions to install are included in the archive.
    Please let me know of any bugs in the comments!
    Thanks!
    Yeah! you are right. I need to flash both the slots. Thank you. One question, how is your phone idle battery life. My phone is loosing about 20% during idle period. It is not because of apps. I tested with Gsam.
    Make sure that AOD is not on. It's enabled by default even though it does not work anymore (an update to LOS broke it a little while ago but if I'm going to revamp this rom with new a11 blobs in the near future it would be pointless to try and make it work now). AOD will keep your screen on but with no brightness so the battery loss will not be incredibly significant, but significant enough to notice.
    Can i install rom for G820N Korea ?
    Can you help me fix vibration for G820N ?
    I using Los gsi rom but my phone hadn't vibration
    I don't think this rom would work on your device, but I could be wrong. Either way, I do not recommend trying it. Also, I've never used a GSI but I've heard they're buggy in general.
    hi. can i do this with lg lmg820um Android 9 pie version. I will be glad if you answer
    I don't think this would work. Your device's firmware should be updated to android 10. The ROM does not install this, it is retained from original stock ROM. This would probably result in a brick.
    A bootloader's unlocked state has nothing to do with what's on the partitions. Nothing on your storage will be saved or deleted because you have an unlocked bootloader. It just gives you the ability to boot with them in a non-stock state.

The fact that your bootloader is unlocked will not affect whether the fingerprint scanner service detects the hardware or not. At this point, a hardware issue is seeming like the only answer.

If you want to be sure, get a different G8 and install this ROM on it. I have two here that do not have this issue at all.