[ROM][Android 11][UNOFFICIAL]LineageOS 18.1[LG G8][alphalm]

Search This thread

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
Can i install this rom in G820UM ?
Yes as long as it's a US model this will work. If it's an AT&T you should make a backup of your important partitions to make sure you can go back to stock if you want. There are no KDZs available and it's hard to find a backup for AT&T (Though not impossible.) If it's Amazon or others, I believe a KDZ should be available.

Important partitions are:
boot
product
vendor
dtbo
vbmeta
and system

Make a backup of these in QFIL, You will need to use QFIL during the bootloader unlock step anyway, so you can make this backup during that process.

Last edited:

Ebizza

Dec 18, 2018
HTC One (M9)
Xiaomi Poco F1
Will I still have Twrp recovery on Slot A?

If yes, I have Arrow on Slot B (active slot atm) and stock on slot A. If I boot to recovery for A (twrp) and make slot a my active slot, would the new flashed lineage rom go to slot b automatically?

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
Will I still have Twrp recovery on Slot A?

If yes, I have Arrow on Slot B (active slot atm) and stock on slot A. If I boot to recovery for A (twrp) and make slot a my active slot, would the new flashed lineage rom go to slot b automatically?
You will have twrp on whichever slot you installed it on. I'm not sure if that TWRP installer will work for non stock as it was designed for stock (to my knowledge).
When you install Lineage via this zip, it installs the partitions listed near the top of the first post titled "Important Partitions" to the unbooted slot. But you should retain TWRP on slot B if that's the active slot when you installed it. The zip installs lineage recovery on the unbooted slot, so you will not be able to access TWRP. A small amount of work has been done on this by others and I've attempted to create a bootable TWRP image once but it's not working currently and with school I don't have much time to work on it further.
Edit to add: If you have another custom rom installed that has it's own recovery, you should have no problem installing LOS from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebizza

Pypy50

Nov 6, 2021
Does the twrp attached in the guide works on G8 android 11 and then flash LOS from a11 stock ?

therealrayzzor

Jul 6, 2010
Neo Louisiana
Hey, what's the best way to return to stock from this rom? I really like the rom but it's rough on my gaming experience., Either it starts to easily lag if I keep everything "normal" or if I change the governor to get better performance the battery gets eaten up. That's the one thing I didn't have to worry about on stock.

EDIT: Figured out the right balance with the kernel so I'm good for now

Last edited:

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
Hey, what's the best way to return to stock from this rom? I really like the rom but it's rough on my gaming experience., Either it starts to easily lag if I keep everything "normal" or if I change the governor to get better performance the battery gets eaten up. That's the one thing I didn't have to worry about on stock.

EDIT: Figured out the right balance with the kernel so I'm good for now
I'm starting to think I should find the time to look into this issue. I don't do much gaming on my device so I've never noticed this issue, but it shouldn't be a problem either way. I'll see what I can do if I find the time. If I may ask, what did you do to solve your problem?

Pypy50

Nov 6, 2021
I'm starting to think I should find the time to look into this issue. I don't do much gaming on my device so I've never noticed this issue, but it shouldn't be a problem either way. I'll see what I can do if I find the time. If I may ask, what did you do to solve your problem?
Can I flash the ROM being on Android 11 if yes what TWRP should I use ?

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
Can I flash the ROM being on Android 11 if yes what TWRP should I use ?
I wouldn't try it, the firmware would be different. I'm waiting to see what the future of 3G in the US is (As long as there isn't a fix for LG's proprietary IMS, this ROM would lose calling and sms if 3G is shut down). If it's gone soon then it might take me a while to upgrade this rom to support devices running stock 11, though I may still do it for those that use this ROM outside of the US.
If your device has a KDZ available, I would recommend downgrading to Android 10 before installing this ROM.

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
When are you building Lineage os 19(12)?
If someone can solve the lack of IMS (The service that controls VoLTE and VoWIFI) then I will likely proceed with Lineage 19. Until then, this phone has a very limited lifetime for custom roms in the US. Carriers plan to shut down 3G networks soon, which would effectively disable calling and texting in this, and in fact, any custom ROM for this device.
I'm in school for programming currently, so perhaps in the next year or so I will take a crack at the IMS problem and see if I can't get something working. If that happens, it's very likely that I'll continue with development on LOS 19.
Edit: not Lineage 12

Last edited:

Parkia_Jr

Dec 12, 2021
Kano
If someone can solve the lack of IMS (The service that controls VoLTE and VoWIFI) then I will likely proceed with Lineage 12. Until then, this phone has a very limited lifetime for custom roms in the US. Carriers plan to shut down 3G networks soon, which would effectively disable calling and texting in this, and in fact, any custom ROM for this device.
I'm in school for programming currently, so perhaps in the next year or so I will take a crack at the IMS problem and see if I can't get something working. If that happens, it's very likely that I'll continue with development on LOS 19.
Okay, thank you. Because I plan on using mine for as long as it takes.

parag14

Jan 24, 2013
I flashed LineageOS 18.1 on my LG G8. Everything works as reported, except for one thing - I can't make or receive calls. I am on AT&T btw. I put another network's sim in my G8, and that didn't work either. On the other hand, I put my AT&T sim in another phone and it can make and receive calls there. I can use data and can make and receive texts though. Not really sure what the problem is. Does anyone know what can cause this issue? I tried googling and people suggested disabling VoLTE, but I don't even see that option in my Settings app, so I doubt that is the problem.

cheger32

Nov 3, 2017
LG G8
I flashed LineageOS 18.1 on my LG G8. Everything works as reported, except for one thing - I can't make or receive calls. I am on AT&T btw. I put another network's sim in my G8, and that didn't work either. On the other hand, I put my AT&T sim in another phone and it can make and receive calls there. I can use data and can make and receive texts though. Not really sure what the problem is. Does anyone know what can cause this issue? I tried googling and people suggested disabling VoLTE, but I don't even see that option in my Settings app, so I doubt that is the problem.
The issue is that AT&T disabled their 3G networks. There isn't much to do about this except to switch carriers or hope someone solves the LG IMS issue. I really should update the main thread with a disclaimer. At the end of March even T-Mobile users such as myself will lose the ability to call and text. LG uses a proprietary system for enabling VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) and no one had been successful in enabling the service on custom roms thus far. I'm likely going to look into this in the future, but my programming skills probably aren't where they need to be for that. All we can do is go back to stock and hope someone (or maybe myself) comes up with a solution in the near future.
I will soon be updating the main post and I'm going to attempt to find dumps for G8 owners without access to a KDZ for their variant, in case they didn't make backups and wish to return to stock and fix calling and texting.

parag14

Jan 24, 2013
The issue is that AT&T disabled their 3G networks. There isn't much to do about this except to switch carriers or hope someone solves the LG IMS issue. I really should update the main thread with a disclaimer. At the end of March even T-Mobile users such as myself will lose the ability to call and text. LG uses a proprietary system for enabling VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) and no one had been successful in enabling the service on custom roms thus far. I'm likely going to look into this in the future, but my programming skills probably aren't where they need to be for that. All we can do is go back to stock and hope someone (or maybe myself) comes up with a solution in the near future.
I will soon be updating the main post and I'm going to attempt to find dumps for G8 owners without access to a KDZ for their variant, in case they didn't make backups and wish to return to stock and fix calling and texting.
Somehow texting works for me for now, I really hope that part isn't killed off. I can get away without calls in the US I suppose because I use Google Voice as my main number, so while this is an absolute bummer, as long as data works I can work with this.

Iskr

Mar 12, 2022
Greetings,

I've been out of playing with mods for a number of years now. Seems to have forgotten most of the little I once knew, and as a result got myself in a limbo with my device. Any help would be most appreciated. I followed the guide laid on this thread to the best of my ability. Obviously not close enough, as I presume my issue would not have occurred otherwise.

Device - LG G8 (Verizon). A/B. Android 10
Steps done - Unlocked bootloader, rooted with Magisk
Step stuck on - installation of TWRP.
Message - Recovery partition is not found. When switching to recovery partition via button combo, an icon of a broken droid is displayed.
Other info - using buttons still able to get into EDL, factory reset (though perhaps not into bootloader). Device is still operational in other ways. Going into Recovery, reset, bootloader via Magisk result in simple reloading of the the device. (protocol to go into bootloader, reset is missing or mapping is erased by me inadvertedly in the process)
Best guess - erased internal mapping or perhaps a recovery partition, but it still has a factory reset partition, just cannot locate where exactly.

If you are able to help, please advise your thoughts on what I likely messed up and how to resolve it. Let me know if you need additional info.

Thank you in advance,
Iskr

P.S.: I've done my best to search for a solution on other threads, but could not locate one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: Carriers in the US are shutting down 3G networks. This ROM does not have VoLTE capability at this time, so calls will not be sent or received if your carrier has disabled 3G.

If you are in the US and wish to use this ROM, please check your carrier's 3G support and if there are any dates set for a 3G shutdown. If you are outside the US, this is unlikely to affect you, but do a google search anyway.

At the time of writing this disclaimer (March 18, 2022) AT&T has already disabled 3G and T-Mobile will shut down 3G networks for prior sprint users by the end of the month.

los-banner.png

LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for US LG G8 (G820*)

LineageOS (also known as “Lineage”) is a free and open-source operating system based on Android. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is an unofficial build of Lineageos 18.1 (Android 11) for the US LG G8.

THIS IS NOT A GSI

This works on all carriers!

This will only work for the US LG G8.
    This will only work for alphalm, not alphaplus.

This will not work on the 'G8s' or the 'G8x'.
    This will not work on Korean models.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Partition Backup:
    Please backup all important partitions and data before installing this ROM. THis is very important for certain carriers including AT&T, as they do not provide the KDZ firmware files, so once you install lineage, you may not easily be able to go back if you haven't made a backup, though it's a good idea for anyone attempting to install any ROM on any device.

Important partitions are:
    boot
    product
    vendor
    dtbo
    vbmeta
    system

Make a backup of these in QFIL (both _a and _b slots of each, You will need to use QFIL during the following bootloader unlock guide so you can make this backup during that process.

Bootloader Must Be Unlocked
    There's a guide for this linked below. This step is a must.
    This must be installed from TWRP or other custom recovery on stock.
    Please make sure latest stock firmware is installed. This may not be completely
    necessary, but having an old firmware image installed has caused me
    issues with call audio and such while developing this ROM.

What Works
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi
    • Call/SMS (WARNING: Carriers in the US and perhaps other countries are disabling 3G, so no more calls and possibly even texts if this happens with your carrier!)
    • Data 2G/3G/LTE
    • Camera (GCam is required for wide angle back camera)
    • Audio
    • NFC
    • GPay Contactless Payments (Requires Magisk Hide)
    • Hotspot
    • Google Assistant Voice Match
    • Nearly Everything!
    What Doesn't Work
    • VoLTE/VoWiFi/IMS - LG has a complicated proprietary IMS, so no VoLTE at all!
    • Assistant Voice Match while screen is off
    • AOD (I'm working on this)
    • Please let me know in the comments

Requirements

1. US LG G8 on any carrier
    2. Latest firmware installed on device (may work with older firmware but results will vary)
    3. Latest unofficial LineageOS zip (on github, linked in thread) and TWRP zip (attached to thread)
    4. SD Card or adb for sideloading (see step 5)
    5. PC with Windows (Linux is possible if you know what you're doing. Check out bkerler/edl on github, it works the same way as QFIL, but requires a small amount of Linux knowledge/experience.)

How to install
    1. Unlock Bootloader and root with Magisk (Follow guide linked below)
    2. Make a backup of all your data (I strongly recommend making a backup of your partitions with qfil (or EDL for linux users))
    3. Download TWRP and the Lineage zip
    4. Installl TWRP (Follow quick guide in attached archive)
    5. Place Lineage zip and anything you want to install through recovery on external SD card (Can also be sideloaded with 'adb sideload', If so, skip this step)
    6. Boot into TWRP or other custom recovery with volume and power shortcut
    7. Install Lineage zip from sdcard or sideload (I always recommend sd, there's less to go wrong)
    8. Once it completes, reboot into recovery again. There's an option for this in TWRP to skip the button combo. TWRP IS GONE. YOU WILL BOOT INTO LINEAGE RECOVERY. USE THIS FOR REMAINING STEPS.
    9. Format Data (This is completely necessary. You will be returned to recovery on boot if you do not follow this step.)
    10. Install Gapps, Magisk, and anything else from sd or with adb sideload. (If you don't want/need root, you can skip installing Magisk
    11. Format Data Again (System will send you back to recovery to do it if you don't)
    12. Reboot to system and enjoy!
    A big thanks to SGCMarkus for everything he has done for LG devices on this platform. This wouldn't be possible without his work. Go buy him a coffee or something!

Big thanks to those I haven't named from the V50 G8 G8s Telegram group as well

Other Credits

J0SH1X
    enforc

Links

Guide For Unlocking Bootloader

Guide LG G8/G8x/v50 Bootloader Unlock and Magisk Root using Firehose

posted by Seasee606

GCam For Wide Angle Back Camera

GCam Hub MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i

Go to this link and download MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0i_libs_MGC.apk
    Others will work, but some not as well. I've noticed some issues with this version crashing. If you experience this, try other versions from the link above.

GApps

Only install GApps packages for Android 11!

NikGApps
    Highly recommended. (Because I use it and I know it works, it doesn't necessarily mean it's best though.) Follow download buttons. Go to Releases > NikGapps-R. Packages will be here. Info about what each package contains is on the page linked above.

MindTheGApps
    I've tried this once and It seemed alright, but it was a little minimal for my taste. It's linked by LineageOS so it's here.

OpenGapps
    I haven't tried this at all, but it's also linked by LineageOS so it should be here.

Download

Release: LineageOS 18.1
    Release Date: 2021-10-13
    MD5: 8e63d765ea7fe90c6fe9ebf4975c2a35
    Filename: lineage-18.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-alphalm-signed.zip
    Size: 908 MB (951854628 B)
    Device: LM-G820 USA
    Android Version: 11

Download from Github

Release Page

Sources / Device Tree

https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alpha-common
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_alphalm
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_device_lge_sm8150-common
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_common/tree/76432f76c5994bd1033d01150433f081a8c6dee3
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/android_kernel_lge_sm8150
    https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_hardware_lge/tree/64bef53ae00f0496e35bc59a61a07ad40537d706
    https://github.com/xmusjackson/proprietary_vendor_lge_alpha

Screenshots

Screenshot_20211014-142150_Updater.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135754_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-135817_LineageOS_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20211014-142111.png

Screenshots from LM-G820QM7 (Open US)

Attached is a copy of the archive containing TWRP for the G8. I downloaded this from telegram and take no credits, there just isn't a thread about this here that I've seen. The instructions to install are included in the archive.
    Please let me know of any bugs in the comments!
    Thanks!
    我的是spr_us ,可以运行吗?
    Yes, Sprint US will work. You must be on stock Android 10 for the install to work though.
    Yeah! you are right. I need to flash both the slots. Thank you. One question, how is your phone idle battery life. My phone is loosing about 20% during idle period. It is not because of apps. I tested with Gsam.
    Make sure that AOD is not on. It's enabled by default even though it does not work anymore (an update to LOS broke it a little while ago but if I'm going to revamp this rom with new a11 blobs in the near future it would be pointless to try and make it work now). AOD will keep your screen on but with no brightness so the battery loss will not be incredibly significant, but significant enough to notice.
    Can i install rom for G820N Korea ?
    Can you help me fix vibration for G820N ?
    I using Los gsi rom but my phone hadn't vibration
    I don't think this rom would work on your device, but I could be wrong. Either way, I do not recommend trying it. Also, I've never used a GSI but I've heard they're buggy in general.