[ROM][Android 12L] Unofficial LineageOS 19.1 Nightlies Tab Pro 8.4 Wifi (mondrianwifi)

Search This thread

Yxo 6o6uka

Dec 14, 2018
US Eastern Time Zone
For me this doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

It will work. The caveat is in "go back". "Enable taskbar" toggle is only visible when "on-screen nav bar" is ON (which is counterintuitive since taskbar and navbar are mutually exclusive, yet this is how it is at the moment). Once navbar is ON, you need to refresh the "Buttons" page... for that click on something at the level of System, for example Location, then go back to System-> Buttons and then the taskbar toggle will be visible.

With the baseline 19.1 functionality now working (thanks again @phoval !), perhaps this surfaces the nice-to-have's - 19.1 current usability stumbles:

- It would be sooooo nice for the Taskbar toggle being visible in Buttons unconditionally (regardless of Navbar enable status). The latest stock Samsung UI based on 12L has that.
- Grids: The only available is 6x5. Would be nice to have more choices, perhaps on par with 18.1. Fwiw, 5x6 seems to fit the aspect ratio more naturally and looks great in 18.1.
- Styles: Not available. The default 19.1 round icon shape is a bit lame, any other shape may be more appropriately modern, pleasing to the eye.

fz9999

Apr 23, 2009
Brighton
Sorry I know this is a post for the T320 but would it work for the T520?
Are they the same hardware but with just a different screen size? Is the resolution even different?

Thanks for your great work :)

• Love
Reactions: Neta76
It will work. The caveat is in "go back". "Enable taskbar" toggle is only visible when "on-screen nav bar" is ON (which is counterintuitive since taskbar and navbar are mutually exclusive, yet this is how it is at the moment). Once navbar is ON, you need to refresh the "Buttons" page... for that click on something at the level of System, for example Location, then go back to System-> Buttons and then the taskbar toggle will be visible.

With the baseline 19.1 functionality now working (thanks again @phoval !), perhaps this surfaces the nice-to-have's - 19.1 current usability stumbles:

- It would be sooooo nice for the Taskbar toggle being visible in Buttons unconditionally (regardless of Navbar enable status). The latest stock Samsung UI based on 12L has that.
- Grids: The only available is 6x5. Would be nice to have more choices, perhaps on par with 18.1. Fwiw, 5x6 seems to fit the aspect ratio more naturally and looks great in 18.1.
- Styles: Not available. The default 19.1 round icon shape is a bit lame, any other shape may be more appropriately modern, pleasing to the eye.
New build available.

Grids :
1663515692781.png

Icon shapes :
1663515698688.png

Colors :
1663515718443.png

Task bar toggle should be always visible :
1663515739569.png

Are they the same hardware but with just a different screen size? Is the resolution even different?

No, T520 is not the same hardware, It use Exynos soc.

Yxo 6o6uka

Dec 14, 2018
US Eastern Time Zone
Ask and ye shall receive! lineage-19.1-20220918- is x-mas in september. Icons, buttons, grids are in the bag, thank you! All usable and super nice to have.

There are a couple of small caveats with the grid, probably the same cause. The big thing - alternative grids are now available, so below is minor.
- Long press in background -> WP and style -> # (app grid) -> Change the grid
- Repeat the above a couple of times, changing the grid selection and letting the screen to redraw
- Press Recent button - there will be as many recent Settings instances as many times you changed the grid. Should be one.
An apparent side effect of the issue is if you change default bottom icons (e.g. delete one, add others), when grid is changed so the bottom icons have to redraw, the buttons return to the default row.

I'm also trying to figure out the original design idea between the navbar and the taskbar. There are some non-intuitive things in the current build, will share thoughts after a bit more research/tests. Sadly I don't have a native android 12L. If anyone has a pointer to a functional reference for the taskbar, LOS or android, pls share.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-195125_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20220920-195125_Trebuchet.png
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: pocketrule

Ken Perkins

Sep 21, 2022
Installation of Twrp.fota, NikGapps and Lineage went well. When I boot it becomes stuck in boot loop and just keeps restarting every time it says, "tablet is starting". The only way to have success is to have it plugged into charger, even though the battery has 90%. Any ideas what to try.
TIA.

Yxo 6o6uka

Dec 14, 2018
US Eastern Time Zone
Installation of Twrp.fota, NikGapps and Lineage went well. When I boot it becomes stuck in boot loop and just keeps restarting every time it says, "tablet is starting". The only way to have success is to have it plugged into charger, even though the battery has 90%. Any ideas what to try.
TIA.
I'd start by confirming the issue exist after a full charge and a clean install (wipe 2 caches, data, system before flashing los). After that I'd try isolating the culprit by flashing individual zip separately and restarting into recovery after flash before restarting into system.

Last edited:

Ken Perkins

Sep 21, 2022
I'd start by confirming the issue exist after a full charge and a clean install (wipe 2 caches, data, system before flashing los). After that I'd try isolating the culprit by flashing individual zip separately and restarting into recovery after flash before restarting into system.
Thanks. Tried you suggestions. The OS runs properly. When I flash the Gapps it starts the problem. Tried 2 versions of Gapps from different sources and both fail.

Yxo 6o6uka

Dec 14, 2018
US Eastern Time Zone
You have to flash LOS and Nikgapps at the same step with TWRP.
If you are already flashed LOS than you have to do a factory reset and than flash Nikgapps.
Yeap yeap... and can also try a quick fix with what you already have (los + gapps) installed - just wipe the 2 caches and restart.

If none of suggestion above work, los 18.1 from this developer + bitgapps is super stable/predictable, try that to rue out h/w.

The fact los is booting suggests it's a s/w config issue rather than battery h/w. Though if the battery is really old /worn out it could cause abrupt shutdowns (or restarts). US $13 for a new battery and 20 minutes with a guitar pick (this tab is very serviceable) will make the tab very happy.
Good luck

eirrann

May 31, 2010
Hi,

I just wanted to say major kudos for this.

My sm t320 had been stuck on I think Android 7, whatever CyanogenMod stopped at. That stopped allowing me to update some apps like chrome, so I started messing with some roms.

I was about to give up on this old tablet because of WiFi issues I was having on the LOS 18.1 build, then saw this. With your recommended TWRP and NikGapps, everything seems stable.

Thanks again! I can't believe this tablet is on Android 12!

I've attached a screen record of how the taskbar can be toggled by long pressing the nav gesture bar when the settings are as seen in the attached screenshots. That's such a cool little thing, I love it.

Crazy mad props for the effort to keep these old tablets alive! I'm so happy!

Attachments

• screen-20220922-112619.mp4
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220922-112813_LineageOS Settings.png
    Screenshot_20220922-112813_LineageOS Settings.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20220922-112825_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20220922-112825_Settings.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

redkaku

Jun 12, 2017
hello. I hope someone can help me out. I have 18.1-20220822 build on my tablet. not sure if this build is by phoval or valera1978. I have a problem with YouTube videos buffering too long. The issue can be temporarily fixed by restarting the device but the issue will return after several minutes. I have tried clearing cache and data of Youtube, then reinstalling it, then installing an older version but none fixed it. I then did a wipe of everything except system. Issue still happens after reinstalling YouTube. Anyone here have any idea how to fix this? I'm thinking to just downgrade to 17 or upgrade to 19. Unfortunately, I cannot access the nyyu dev that is linked on the first page

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
    By flashing this, you take responsibility of anything that happens.
    Process at your own risk!

If you want to check - please make backup. Better to store all partitions.

What works

• audio
    • bluetooth
    • brightness
    • camera
    • DRM
    • OTA
    • selinux
    • video
    • wifi
    • wifi display (fixed at build 20220830)

What doesn't work
    • Torch QS not working -> regression in 0903, fixed in 0904
    • Back camera preview : wrong rotation on preview in default app, open camera works (fixed at build 20220903)
    • Some Keyboard bug. Workaround : When prompted to enter something like a Bluetooth pin or text based password, sometimes the keyboard is not shown on the screen or off screen. The workaround is to goto settings, system, languages & input, on-screen keyboard, Android Keyboard (AOSP), appearance & layout, theme and choose "Material - follow system settings".

Instructions:
    0. Patched TWRP for FOTA
    1. Factory reset if coming from another ROM.
    2. Install ROM
    3. Install GApps (optionally) [Recommended NickGapps Patched for ARM]
    4. Install Magisk 25.2 (optionally)

Sources & Changes:
    Device tree
    Kernel tree
    Vendor tree
    TWRP tree

Download:
    Note to users: I'm not responsible if you brick your tablet. See the disclaimer above.

Contributors

ROM OS Version: 12.1

Version Information
    Nightlies

Created 2022-08-28
    Last Updated 2022-09-04

New build available.

Grids :
    1663515692781.png

Icon shapes :
    1663515698688.png

Colors :
    1663515718443.png

Task bar toggle should be always visible :
    1663515739569.png

No, T520 is not the same hardware, It use Exynos soc.
    I can't turn it off, please guide me to turn it off.

Disabling the task bar:

Settings -> System -> Buttons -> enable nav bar -> go back -> Buttons -> disable task bar and nav bar
    Hi,

I just wanted to say major kudos for this.

My sm t320 had been stuck on I think Android 7, whatever CyanogenMod stopped at. That stopped allowing me to update some apps like chrome, so I started messing with some roms.

I was about to give up on this old tablet because of WiFi issues I was having on the LOS 18.1 build, then saw this. With your recommended TWRP and NikGapps, everything seems stable.

Thanks again! I can't believe this tablet is on Android 12!

I've attached a screen record of how the taskbar can be toggled by long pressing the nav gesture bar when the settings are as seen in the attached screenshots. That's such a cool little thing, I love it.

Crazy mad props for the effort to keep these old tablets alive! I'm so happy!
    A12 is not slow. I recommend to use it. It's stable.
    Dunno about performance of LOS 13.