• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] aosp-4.2.2-thor-0 (Kindle fire hdx 7")

Search This thread

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Yup ! Full aosp 4.2.2 port for the thor based on nexus 7 2012 image (kindle fire hdx 7") is coming very, very soon ! :D

I just booted a few minutes ago (after a lot of work) ! Rendering is working/fixed, touchscreen is working/fixed, sound working/fixed, wifi working/fixed. After registration (which worked) i tested playstore, gmail and some settings menu which are all working.

It's a good news for me, and i guess for you too. The rom should be ready for tomorow i guess/hope (even if there's still some bugs, which will be the case) is ready for download.

Installation :
  • Install safestrap
  • Create rom slot
  • Go to recovery
  • Wipe data, cache, dalvik cache
  • Flash aosp-4.2.2-thor-*.zip

Download :

Not working yet :
  • MediaPlayer (youtube, musics, games)
  • Crash on screen wake up (ui restart)
  • Headphones out not working

Note :
  • Help to fix mediaplayer and other bugs is welcome as time is missing
  • Rom used for the port : Grouper-JDQ39_4.2.2-Deodex_Rooted-02-14-13-teshxx
  • Playing with /system/lib and /system/bin between stock and grouper rom should be enough
  • No need to ask permission to use/repack do anything with the rom just go for it

• To Hashcode for safestrap !

Attachments

• aosp-4.2.2-thor-0-bootanimation-fix.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
Yup ! Full CM 10.1.3 port for the thor (kindle fire hdx 7") is coming very, very soon ! :D

I just booted to cm a few minutes ago (after a lot of work) ! Rendering is working/fixed, touchscreen is working/fixed, sound working/fixed, wifi working/fixed. After registration (which worked) i tested playstore, gmail and some settings menu which are all working. MediaPlayer (youtube, musics) not working for now.

It's a good news for me, and i guess for you too. The rom should be ready for tomorow i guess/hope (even if there's still some bugs, which will be the case) .

Couldn't wait to share !

Great work... Looking forward to trying it out. Just curious what bugs have you ran into if any?

Thanks

Cdub50

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Yup ! Full aosp android 4.2.2 port for the thor based on nexus 7 2012 image (kindle fire hdx 7") is coming very, very soon ! :D

I just booted a few minutes ago (after a lot of work) ! Rendering is working/fixed, touchscreen is working/fixed, sound working/fixed, wifi working/fixed. After registration (which worked) i tested playstore, gmail and some settings menu which are all working. MediaPlayer (youtube, musics) not working for now.

It's a good news for me, and i guess for you too. The rom should be ready for tomorow i guess/hope (even if there's still some bugs, which will be the case) .

Couldn't wait to share !

Great work! Whenever you're ready to post, I can probably help debug the ROM a bit.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Great work! Whenever you're ready to post, I can probably help debug the ROM a bit.

Thanks ! I have to say thanks to safestrap (you) as overriding the init.rc script is required (well and for all other things it does).
Unfortunately it's 03:52 of the night here so i'm not sure i'll have the courage to
package a rom and upload but i'll do it tomorow for sure even in the current state.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks ! I have to say thanks to safestrap (you) as overriding the init.rc script is required (well and for all other things it does).
Unfortunately it's 03:52 of the night here so i'm not sure i'll have the courage to
package a rom and upload but i'll do it tomorow for sure even in the current state.

I totally understand. Take your time (and get some sleep!) Was offering support so you didn't feel like you had the entire responsibility of the KFireHDX universe on your shoulders :)

WebDev28

Jul 18, 2010
Yup ! Full aosp android 4.2.2 port for the thor based on nexus 7 2012 image (kindle fire hdx 7") is coming very, very soon ! :D

I just booted a few minutes ago (after a lot of work) ! Rendering is working/fixed, touchscreen is working/fixed, sound working/fixed, wifi working/fixed. After registration (which worked) i tested playstore, gmail and some settings menu which are all working.

Not working yet: MediaPlayer (youtube, musics)

Couldn't wait to share !

Great work. I have been waiting patiently for HDX 8.9 roms and safestrap. But all the developers are doing a great job. Keep it up guys.

Sent from my KFAPWI using xda premium

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Hi ! Good news, ROM is packed ! I upload it asap ( should take a few hours). No changes since yesterday, all seems working except something with media player I think which prevent music's, hardware video player, and most games to work (hashcode and other help of course more than welcome as I may not have a lot of free time until next week end).

The main directions was : edit stock system/etc/rootfs/init.rc for grouper frameworks and remove calls to main2 services (amazon), replace app, fonts, framework and media stock system folders by grouper ones, replace a few stock system/bin/* and system/lib by grouper ones (more details soon).

Also note that data partition can (and must) be wiped so more room on nand !

Last edited:

vdsno1

Nov 6, 2013
thanks !!

Rom boot has failed to follow the instructions but still failed, Error youtube movies have not considered how to fix it?? remaining works well!!v

Reactions: qswind

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
I already knew it was wishful thinking at this early state of the rom dev but Amazon stuff such as kindle and mp3 player doesn't work, at least not in mine. Amazon Mobile for Tablet does work though. Just wanted to put it out there so we don't have a gazillion people posting about it. ;) I can do w/o games and video for now but would really like Kindle to work. I am really glad I don't have to deal w/ the auto hiding home and back buttons now from the stock fireOS, that was really annoying. Thanks Cpasjuste for putting this together!

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I already knew it was wishful thinking at this early state of the rom dev but Amazon stuff such as kindle and mp3 player doesn't work, at least not in mine. Amazon Mobile for Tablet does work though. Just wanted to put it out there so we don't have a gazillion people posting about it. ;) I can do w/o games and video for now but would really like Kindle to work. I am really glad I don't have to deal w/ the auto hiding home and back buttons now from the stock fireOS, that was really annoying. Thanks Cpasjuste for putting this together!

Yes it's due to the mediaplayer bug. I'm not sure if it will be easly fixable or fixable at all yet !

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
For information to other developers here is the error when trying to play an mp4 for example :

Code:
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 66 (Baseline), level = 21
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Enable frame by frame mode
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Enabling timestamp reordering
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Smoothstreaming Enabled
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] video dimensions are 480 x 360
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] Crop rect is 480 x 360 @ (0, 0)
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] Calling native window update buffer geometry [480 x 360]
  781                OMXCodec  E  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] NATIVE_WINDOW_UPDATE_BUFFERS_GEOMETRY failed -2
  781                OMXCodec  E  native_window_set_buffers_size failed: No such file or directory (2)
  781           AwesomePlayer  E  failed to start video source
  781                          E  
  781                          E   Destroy C2D instance
 24932            MediaPlayer  E  error (1, -2)
 24932            MediaPlayer  E  Error (1,-2)
 24932        MX.Player.Joint  E  1st error: what=1 extra=-2

S_transform

Oct 12, 2012
So first off, many thanks to cpasjuste! This is absolutely fantastic! On the media thing, I just thought it might be good to mention to you and anyone interested that the soundcloud app works pretty well, with the exception of some minor freezing.

spaghettiknight

Mar 10, 2011
Maple Grove, MN
Yup ! Full aosp 4.2.2 port for the thor based on nexus 7 2012 image (kindle fire hdx 7") is coming very, very soon ! :D

It's a good news for me, and i guess for you too. The rom should be ready for tomorow i guess/hope (even if there's still some bugs, which will be the case) is ready for download.

Installation :
  • Install safestrap
  • Create rom slot
  • Go to recovery

Download :

Not working yet :

Note :
  • Playing with /system/lib and /system/bin between stock and grouper rom should be enough
  • No need to ask permission to use/repack do anything with the rom just go for it

You are the Man!

I will be trying this rom in a little bit and be donating 10 dollars to Cpasjuste for his hard work!

Thank you so much! im so exited to try this!

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
Him
For information to other developers here is the error when trying to play an mp4 for example :

Code:
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 66 (Baseline), level = 21
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Enable frame by frame mode
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Enabling timestamp reordering
  781              QCOMXCodec  I  Smoothstreaming Enabled
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] video dimensions are 480 x 360
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] Crop rect is 480 x 360 @ (0, 0)
  781                OMXCodec  I  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] Calling native window update buffer geometry [480 x 360]
  781                OMXCodec  E  [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] NATIVE_WINDOW_UPDATE_BUFFERS_GEOMETRY failed -2
  781                OMXCodec  E  native_window_set_buffers_size failed: No such file or directory (2)
  781           AwesomePlayer  E  failed to start video source
 24932            MediaPlayer  E  error (1, -2)
 24932            MediaPlayer  E  Error (1,-2)
 24932        MX.Player.Joint  E  1st error: what=1 extra=-2

Just by looking at the error it looks like it can't find OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc can you confirm it's present? Or its missing an include or header file maybe GraphicBuffer.h

Sent from my Optimus G using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Him

Just by looking at the error it looks like it can't find OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc can you confirm it's present? Or its missing an include or header file maybe GraphicBuffer.h

No it's there. The problem is probably due to the mixed surfaceflinger and/or audio binaries/libraries, which may be very difficult to fix :x
It would probably better to work from aosp sources instead to debug around but this would require a huge amount of time which i don't have !

Last edited:

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
No it's there. The problem is probably due to the mixed surfaceflinger and/or audio binaries/libraries, which may be very difficult to fix :x
It would probably better to work from aosp sources instead to debug around but this would require a huge amount of time which i don't have !

Bummer. I would lean more towards surfaceflinger since it seems more related to the error. Hope we can get some extra eyes on this. Would be awesome to have asop on kindle hdx. Thanks for hard work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Installation :
    • Install safestrap
    • Create rom slot
    • Go to recovery

Download :

Not working yet :

Note :

Thanks S_transform, this is interesting. I'll take a deeper look soon !

I am kind of leaning towards setting up a cm10.1 build from source and then overlaying any binaries that would be needed.

I can probably set the gits up sometime this week @ www.github.com/KFire-Android

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Goog news !

I did fix some major bugs :

- MediaPlayer (youtube, musics, games) -> FIXED !
    - Crash on screen wake up (ui restart) -> FIXED !

There is still some problems with games (subway surfer), no audio now but it's not crashing anymore. There's also a new bug added, the volume up/down notification is not showing anymore but it does work.

i'll upload the rom in a few hours.

EDIT: in fact there's still some random crash on games. But youtube and hardware mediaplayer do work.

I just booted a few minutes ago (after a lot of work) ! Rendering is working/fixed, touchscreen is working/fixed, sound working/fixed, wifi working/fixed. After registration (which worked) i tested playstore, gmail and some settings menu which are all working. MediaPlayer (youtube, musics) not working for now.

Couldn't wait to share !

Since the HDX7 is similar to the Nexus 7 2013, I would recommend using that as a base because they both use QCOM and that may fix some issues.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk