[ROM][AOSP][4.4/6.0/7.1] Unlegacy Android Project

Search This thread

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
The Unlegacy-Android Project​
Introduction
Unlegacy-Android started out as the OMAP4-AOSP Project. It was created in late 2015 in order to maintain a clean and organized place for pure AOSP support for various OMAP4 devices, such as the Galaxy Nexus and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 series. Over time this evolved to support more than just these devices, but still maintains its roots of supporting "legacy" devices that no longer receive "official" updates: hence Unlegacy-Android was born.

Installation
It's important that /system needs to be unmounted before installing the ROM - some recoveries tend to leave it mounted after performing operations on it.

If you're planning to install GApps, be sure to read the second post!

Aside from these, installation and upgrading is no different than on other ROMs. As usual, 'espresso' goes for all non-3g versions, 'espresso3g' goes for all 3g versions.

Problems
- Occasional sound stuttering in some games
- No hwrotation (meaning the boot animation is landscape on p31xx). I don't consider this as a problem, as autorotation will take effect after bootup anyways... and most 7" tablets, like the Nexus 7 work this way as well.
- The 7.1 builds are experimental! Means: modem not working perfectly yet.

If you notice anything else, be sure to report it in this thread. While I'm kind of busy, I usually read the thread and acknowledge the bug reports, even if I don't reply directly to them.

Downloads
See: http://builds.unlegacy-android.org
Always use the latest TWRP, to flash Android 7.x, you must use TWRP 3.0.3-0 or newer.

Features?
There isn't much to say here - this is AOSP, if you install GApps, you pretty much get the same thing that's running on the Nexus devices. The aim of this project is to create a fast and stable ROM - although, one could use Xposed to add extra features.

As usual, feedback is appreciated :)

Want to support development? You can consider donating, I spent countless of hours with this :)

XDA:DevDB Information
Unlegacy Android Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Contributors
Ziyan, Android-Andi
Source Code: https://github.com/Unlegacy-Android

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Firmware Required: The latest bootloader for your device.

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 4.4, 6.0

Created 2016-07-03
Last Updated 2017-10-22

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
GApps
If you want to install GApps, we recommend Open GApps Nano or BaNkS GApps.

An important note: as this is a pure AOSP ROM, installing GApps tends to be problematic: in order to try to avoid installation issues, be sure to install GApps immediately after installing the ROM, before booting the system for the first time. After the initial bootup finished, be sure to go into Settings -> Apps, and grant every permission to every Google application - most importantly, Google Play services.
In the case of an upgrade, be sure to re-install the GApps package, as upgrading wipes /system. You shouldn't need to re-set the permissions afterwards.

One more note. DO NOT set up your Google account until you grant all permissions, otherwise you will be stuck on the initial setup.

Rooting
You can flash either the latest SuperSU or OpenSource SuperUser to get rooted.

Bastiary

Jun 13, 2013
palembang
GApps

An important note: as this is a pure AOSP ROM, installing GApps tends to be problematic: in order to try to avoid installation issues, be sure to install GApps immediately after installing the ROM, before booting the system for the first time. After the initial bootup finished, be sure to go into Settings -> Apps, and grant every permission to every Google application - most importantly, Google Play services.
In the case of an upgrade, be sure to re-install the GApps package, as upgrading wipes /system. You shouldn't need to re-set the permissions afterwards.

Rooting

Wow, i saw this rom on galaxy nexus section. Does this rom included CMA?

Az-09

Oct 3, 2014
Noname1
Thank you for everything , dear friend ! And for the support of the old device , and what you are doing and Andi for us ordinary users .
I understand correctly , that support will only 6.0.1 Android N and we do not see , because the device and its old base ?

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
I understand correctly , that support will only 6.0.1 Android N and we do not see , because the device and its old base ?

Before every new Android release, we devs get all sorts of questions like this. I'd like to say it once and for all: there's no such thing as 'we do not see' the next versions and whatnot. People are being negative for some reason, but we always try and succeed in the end... I'm sure that if you start reading past posts, you'll find a lot of people saying that we1l never see Lollipop or Marshmallow due to the device being too old, lol.

radz_

Feb 23, 2013
Download link?
It just says look at the top of the page? Is it soon?

Thanks for the new ROM....keep it up!
All the best...

pickandrew

Jan 8, 2016
Trieste
Hello! The ROM with the codename "espresso" is for the version: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Wi-Fi P3110 / P3113 and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi P5110 / P5113. Namely we talk about all versions with codename "espressowifi"?!

Astro Noid

Dec 8, 2015
Bandung
Dear Mr. @Ziyan,
1stable congrat and thx Sir for being ROM Maker, we would love to see you update it regularly and add these:
*feature list
*changelog
*screenshot

~Omaple~

"...stay success and keep tab 2 alive at least till 2020"

smart-t78

Jun 24, 2014
www.androidfilehost.com
Screeshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160704-131832.jpg
    Screenshot_20160704-131832.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5,832
  • Screenshot_20160704-124900.png
    Screenshot_20160704-124900.png
    247 KB · Views: 5,808
  • Screenshot_20160704-125651.png
    Screenshot_20160704-125651.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 5,881
  • Screenshot_20160704-124844.jpg
    Screenshot_20160704-124844.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 5,826

iks8

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Mr. @Ziyan,
1stable congrat and thx Sir for being ROM Maker, we would love to see you update it regularly and add these:
*feature list
*changelog
*screenshot

~Omaple~

no need for this, it's aosp there isn't any custom features and everybody know how aosp looks

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Dear Mr. @Ziyan,
*feature list
*changelog
*screenshot

~Omaple~

Oh don't worry, I'm working extremely hard in the background almost since like a year... I know a lot about these devices (bought a P5100 specifically for testing 3G on the builds and kernels) ;)

Feature list: well, this is AOSP, and I'd like to keep it this way. Imagine this like the stock ROM on the Nexus devices (with GApps flashed, of course).

Changelog: don't expect anything other than AOSP updates and hardware related fixes and updates - of course, I'm going to write a post each time I release an update, just like I do in the Galaxy Nexus thread :) however, it's unlikely that I'll add a changelog to the OP (I just don't see the usefulness in it).

Screenshots: will do, but then again, don't expect anything special. Stable and fast pure Android, that is AOSP. As a side note, it's Xposed compatible ;)

I hope everybody likes the new shiny unified forum section! There's still a bit of a work left to do, but I think it looks great and eases maintaining the threads; blame me if you think otherwise :silly:

sinisthro

May 17, 2013
Thak you for your effort to keep tab 2 alive :cowboy: . Amazing work. Are RRO Layers compatible with this rom?

Reactions: sorheim

mentat

Feb 9, 2007
I hope everybody likes the new shiny unified forum section! There's still a bit of a work left to do, but I think it looks great and eases maintaining the threads; blame me if you think otherwise :silly:

Hi Ziyan,

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I thought that I was going insane this morning (or just slightly more insane than usual).

Just browsing the new "Unified" forum (to verify my subscriptions) and noticed that the "Dhollmen" threads could be clarified (just like the "Linaro" threads), for example ...

This thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176563 could be titled: [KERNEL][P51xx][AOSP] Dhollmen Espresso

This thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2183830 could be titled: [KERNEL][P31xx][AOSP] Dhollmen Espresso

Just to avoid confusion (I freely admit that I am easily confused).

Thanks.

mentat

Feb 9, 2007
@mentat no need to have 2 threads, one is enough now in unified section ;)
I also don't know what your question hast to do with this rom [emoji14]

~ All my work, news etc. on http://andi34.github.io ~

Hi Andi,

I only suggested renaming the existing "pair" of threads (they both exist in the Unified Forum) ... Just like the "pair" of Linaro threads (that also both exist in the Unified forum).

The download links in (all four) of the threads (mentioned above) link to unique builds on AFH (for both P31xx and P51xx devices) in this forum: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-2/galaxy-tab-2-unified

@Ziyan, while we're on the subject, the CandySix for P51XX thread: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-2/10-inch-development/rom-candysix-v1-1-t3331598 should also be moved to the new Unified forum as well (the CandySix for P31xx thread has already been moved).

Sorry for all the edits (I put the blame on OCD).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
@Ziyan, while we're on the subject, the CandySix for P51XX thread: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-2/10-inch-development/rom-candysix-v1-1-t3331598 should also be moved to the new Unified forum as well (the CandySix for P31xx thread has already been moved).

Done; I guess this is it then. Like the XDA forum admin said, the best way to handle moving both threads is to move them both to this unified section, and close one of them (preferably the one with the less posts). While we could merge them into one thread, the posts would get all mixed through the other threads posts (because of the date order) and we would lose any sense of a flow in the conversation...

Gideon.Salim

Feb 18, 2014
Minimum Custom Recovery version?

@Ziyan @Android-Andi Thanks for bringing new life to this old tabs :)

Is there any minimum requirement for recovery for flashing this ROM? I'm running pretty old CWM v.6.0.5.1. Is it sufficient?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Unlegacy-Android Project​
    Introduction
    Unlegacy-Android started out as the OMAP4-AOSP Project. It was created in late 2015 in order to maintain a clean and organized place for pure AOSP support for various OMAP4 devices, such as the Galaxy Nexus and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 series. Over time this evolved to support more than just these devices, but still maintains its roots of supporting "legacy" devices that no longer receive "official" updates: hence Unlegacy-Android was born.

Installation
    It's important that /system needs to be unmounted before installing the ROM - some recoveries tend to leave it mounted after performing operations on it.

If you're planning to install GApps, be sure to read the second post!

Aside from these, installation and upgrading is no different than on other ROMs. As usual, 'espresso' goes for all non-3g versions, 'espresso3g' goes for all 3g versions.

Problems
    - Occasional sound stuttering in some games
    - No hwrotation (meaning the boot animation is landscape on p31xx). I don't consider this as a problem, as autorotation will take effect after bootup anyways... and most 7" tablets, like the Nexus 7 work this way as well.
    - The 7.1 builds are experimental! Means: modem not working perfectly yet.

If you notice anything else, be sure to report it in this thread. While I'm kind of busy, I usually read the thread and acknowledge the bug reports, even if I don't reply directly to them.

Downloads
    See: http://builds.unlegacy-android.org
    Always use the latest TWRP, to flash Android 7.x, you must use TWRP 3.0.3-0 or newer.

Features?
    There isn't much to say here - this is AOSP, if you install GApps, you pretty much get the same thing that's running on the Nexus devices. The aim of this project is to create a fast and stable ROM - although, one could use Xposed to add extra features.

As usual, feedback is appreciated :)

Want to support development? You can consider donating, I spent countless of hours with this :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unlegacy Android Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Contributors
    Ziyan, Android-Andi
    Source Code: https://github.com/Unlegacy-Android

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Firmware Required: The latest bootloader for your device.

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.4, 6.0

Created 2016-07-03
    Last Updated 2017-10-22
    GApps

One more note. DO NOT set up your Google account until you grant all permissions, otherwise you will be stuck on the initial setup.

Rooting
    Good news: Bluetooth is now fixed as well, the 0119 nightly will include both the Bluetooth and audio fixes :)
    The audio on only one speaker/headphone issue is now fixed, the fix is included in tomorrow's nightly :) next is bluetooth.
    I completely forgot to show this off!
    View attachment 3862027