[ROM][AOSP][5.1.1] AOSP for Google Glass

Search This thread

Devoniani

May 5, 2020
Google Pixel 4
My installed version shows that it only has 582 megabytes of RAM. Is this a normal issue? How can it be resolved? Also, I know I'll probably never get a reply. But whatever.

manoj.blore90

Dec 14, 2011
This is just amazing! Is there an update version or its just the one from 2016 that's final guys? Looking forward to links for anything latest if available.

log3an

May 21, 2011
Indianapolis
Google Glass
Just installed this rom on a now unsurrported Google Glass explorer edition, and it looks absolutely beautiful, I wish I could say more for its functionality. The touchpad is multidirectional and it's impossible to navigate, since input devices aren't working. Bravo though on its current condition, it's 10 times better than the final Glass update offered by Google. In 2022 it's all a crapshoot now anyway, not knowing what will work from 2013, and whatnot.

Sep 18, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Just installed this rom on a now unsurrported Google Glass explorer edition, and it looks absolutely beautiful, I wish I could say more for its functionality. The touchpad is multidirectional and it's impossible to navigate, since input devices aren't working. Bravo though on its current condition, it's 10 times better than the final Glass update offered by Google. In 2022 it's all a crapshoot now anyway, not knowing what will work from 2013, and whatnot.
Are you able to install any APK files with this rom and have it work? I ask this because I found online a launcher for glass that allows easy navigation and was wondering if it'll work with the rom.

As for navigation through the rom would using a app (fluid navigation guestures) help with that?

Ps I plan to get my hands on my own pair in a few weeks so hopefully I can answer these questions in case no one else is able to

log3an

May 21, 2011
Indianapolis
Google Glass
Are you able to install any APK files with this rom and have it work? I ask this because I found online a launcher for glass that allows easy navigation and was wondering if it'll work with the rom.

As for navigation through the rom would using a app (fluid navigation guestures) help with that?

Ps I plan to get my hands on my own pair in a few weeks so hopefully I can answer these questions in case no one else is able to
5e18a2a98519d601b5ff7aee9b0e7d0e40885020-14.jpg

4339b3feae1ec5df8ea7b4a74ac19168212d8159-14.jpg

cc6962b9d324315e40af88b7088cfeef4cf765ae-14.jpg

Yes, with this ROM you can install any 5.1.1 APK, just as you would any other rooted Android. Right now I've got the Clockworkmod recovery installed with this ROM, and the nano GApps pack, which allows Google account sign-in, Play Store installs, and YouTube play. What is the launcher you are referring to though? Could you share the link? Thanks.

Sep 18, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
View attachment 5601117
View attachment 5601119
View attachment 5601121

Yes, with this ROM you can install any 5.1.1 APK, just as you would any other rooted Android. Right now I've got the Clockworkmod recovery installed with this ROM, and the nano GApps pack, which allows Google account sign-in, Play Store installs, and YouTube play. What is the launcher you are referring to though? Could you share the link? Thanks.

This is the launcher I was talking about

And where would I find the clockworkmod recovery/nano Gapps

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
So I pulled out the Google Glass yesterday and was looking in my computer for something that might fix the issue with Google voice search not working anymore on it. It hadn't been used for just over 2 years so I wasn't yet aware of the destructive end Google decided to make for this expensive device. I found a folder on my PC labeld 'don't use' which had the XE24 rom in it. To my recall I probably tried it before Feb. 2020 and saw how limited it was thus my 'don't use' folder. But of course I thought I'd try it not realizing that now you can't go back to XE23. Before that big mistake I could still make phone calls , do texts, and a number of other things XE24 totally eliminated.

After seeing again what XE24 did and the fact that putting XE23 back on made it impossible to get past the Setup / Tutorial on either my phone or the PC I decided to try taking apart the XE23 system image to delete the Setup in hopes I could do that and repack it without getting an error with fastboot reinstalling this modded system image. It probably won't work but now I'm stuck at not being able to repack everything as I haven't found anything that is working in either Windows or Linux. Is this even possible or am I just wasting my time? Willing to try anything to get it back like it was since the only thing that wasn't working before yesterday was to Google voice question function - which was really nice 'till they killed it.

BTW I couldn't find the AOSP 5.1.1 rom anymore on the Google drive. But I found it here along with 4.4.4 and 6.0.1 - all in a place that says it is a backup of lost files from XDA after the big update:

Note that the above link in my browser warns it is a Malware site but I'm sure it is not. Maybe Google doesn't want anyone using these? I have very tight security with my firewall and AV and nothing suspicious is happening when I go forward from the warning. Very slow downloading but if I get all three I'll put them up somewhere that is faster if anyone is interested and won't have the warning.

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
I spent a lot of time trying to install an app on the stock Glass XE24 without luck so I did a Clockworkmod backup of XE24 and put the AOSP 6.0.1 on it. USB with ADB was very flaky. Nearly impossible to get to the function to turn on USB for file transfer protocol and even when it was on the adb wouldn't see the Glass except very briefly - very on and off almost to where I couldn't do an adb reboot bootloader. Attempts to use Vysor to have control of the Glass from the computer only worked for a few seconds before Vysor crashed.
Camera kept coming up and there was no way to get out of the camera once it was started by any touches I used. Had to power down to close camera.

Overall 6.0.1 was very frustrating and I would not suggest it to anyone for Glass. I finally got adb to reboot to the bootloader so I could try AOSP 5.1.1. That is a way better experience. ADB worked right away without any intermittency. So I could control it with Vysor easily although it's a bit slow. Without Vysor though I still could not find a way to exit the camera app - which tends to heat up Glass quite a bit. I do wish the normal Glass 'go back' function would work on this AOSP as that could really make Glass more useful again than Google's sinister despicable unethical reduction of this expensive hardware to nothing more than an over priced eyeglass camera :mad: :giggle:

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
BTW I spent hours at stackoverflow.com reading how members were describing how to get an app to run with adb but everything suggested did not work on my Glass. If anyone knows how to do that with the XE24 Glass OS please post here as I would still like to be able to use it under XE24 if I can get some useful apps on it and have them show up from the Glass menu.

I tried things like adb shell am start app.name, adb shell monkey -p app.name, adb shell startservice app.name and a whole lot of variations like the start activity on those with zero success.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://developers.google.com/glass/tools-downloads/system#factory_images said:
    Warning: Rooting, unlocking, or flashing your Glass voids your warranty and can leave your device in an irrecoverable state. Proceed at your own risk.

This is the Android Open Source Project for Google Glass. The current version is 5.1.1 Lollipop. Thanks to the OMAP4-AOSP project, development for Glass has been rapid and stable. The blobs that are not provided by OMAP4-AOSP are pulled from XE22, and the XRX13B kernel is compiled from source.

This is not the OS you would expect to run on Glass. This is stock Android, and it is difficult to use. If you enjoy using your Glass on a day-to-day basis, please do not flash this ROM.

attachment.php

Why did you do this?
    1. I wanted to create a base platform for developers, like myself, who like to experiment. We shouldn't be bound to the GDK.
    2. I wanted to revive community interest in Google Glass. It is an incredibly interesting device that seemed to disappear before its peak.
    3. Above all else, I just wanted to see if I could.

Installation Instructions

Your Glass will be wiped if you follow these instructions.

1) Download and extract the zip containing the boot.img and system.img files:
    2) Boot Glass into fastboot mode:
    • From Glass, enter the Settings menu.
    • Scroll to the Device Info card and select it.
    • Scroll to the "Turn on debug" card and select it.
    • Once debugging is enabled, connect Glass to your computer and enter:
      Code:
      $ adb reboot-bootloader
      https://developers.google.com/glass/tools-downloads/system#factory_images said:
      You can also enter fastboot mode by holding down the camera button, pressing the power button (Glass must be off before doing this), and waiting about 10-15 seconds. Glass does not indicate that it is in fastboot mode (display is off), but you can run fastboot devices to check.
    3) If you have not already, unlock your Glass:
    Code:
    $ fastboot oem unlock
    4)
    Code:
    $ fastboot flash system system.img
    $ fastboot flash boot boot.img
    $ fastboot erase cache
    $ fastboot erase userdata
    $ fastboot reboot

The first boot may take some time as partitions are created and firmware versions are checked. You may also experience a reboot during the initial boot. To revert back to the stock Glass ROM, simply follow the instructions at https://developers.google.com/glass/tools-downloads/system#factory_images.

Working:
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth pairing
    • GPS
    • Touchpad
    • Audio (kind of)
    • Camera (see below)

Known Issues:
    • Audio currently outputs either the left or right signal
    • Bluetooth connections cannot be made to various devices
    • Backlight control does not work
    • Powered off charging indicator is flakey
    • Camera gamma is sketchy in low light
    • Screenshots are glitchy
    • You tell me

Tips and Tricks:

XDA:DevDB Information
    AOSP for Google Glass, ROM for the Google Glass

Contributors
    jtxdriggers, http://omap4-aosp.github.io/
    Source Code: https://github.com/justindriggers/android_device_glass_glass-1

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2016-04-11
    Last Updated 2016-04-20
    I'd be interested in playing around with a no-audio build! I have some networking stuff I want to try out, and the audio hardware never worked that great for me in the first place...

Count me in to test, thanks

Anymore updates on marshmallow?

I've uploaded the no-audio Marshmallow images for people to play with at http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=18306. Let me know what you guys think! The flappy bird easter egg thing is hilarious to play on such a tiny screen, it's almost impossible. I haven't updated the OP yet, and probably won't until I get audio working. Honestly I have a lot going on this month, so development is slow.

Keep playing with different apps and controls - that's exactly what these builds are for. I want to find out what the best way of using the device might be.
    Awesome!

Thank you! That's awesome! I'll Flash it later this day :)

[edit]

installed it and its working :) I have also installed the pulled XE7 APKs from zhuowei . So far it is working. A real custom rom for Glass, with an easy to use launcher and glass-friendly apps would be fantastic. I think your Work is a perfect base for it. I am really looking forward on upcoming developments. Thank you again!
    A real custom rom for Glass, with an easy to use launcher and glass-friendly apps would be fantastic. I think your Work is a perfect base for it. I am really looking forward on upcoming developments. Thank you again!

That's the long-term goal. Hopefully we can focus on getting Marshmallow working first, then we can start work on a new application layer. I am glad to hear that it's working for you. If you don't mind me asking, which version of Glass do you have (1GB or 2GB)? I personally have the 1GB model but I'd like to make sure the 2GB model works as well.
    Congratulations on the job at Google!! That is so awesome.

Do you have a repo set up with your work with marshmallow? I would like to try and finish it if possible. I don't have a lot of experience building kernels so any documentation you can send my way, and any advice on methods or pitfalls would go a long way.

Congratulations again my friend. I'm glad your talent has been recognized. I'm sure you will do good things.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to be here, it's been a goal of mine for a long time.

Honestly the Marshmallow stuff is largely the same as Lollipop at the moment. The kernel and device trees on my GitHub have branches for Marshmallow. The "audio" branch is very incomplete, and you should completely ignore it. The biggest challenge with bringing up the device is not the kernel, but rather the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for different subsystems. I've been using binaries pulled from the official KitKat releases (audio.primary.glass_1.so), which worked well up until Marshmallow. Unfortunately, that means a lot of reverse engineering is involved to get those pieces working at all - that means rewriting the HAL from scratch.

My best advice is to use Unlegacy-Android's device trees as a guide. If you can get tuna's audio HAL working at all for Glass, then it should just be a matter of modifying routes from there. The Glass hardware is very peculiar due to the many configurations that should be supported "out of the box" (mono with no earpiece attached, mono with single earpiece, stereo with dual earpiece, etc). Much of this logic should be controlled in the HAL (Android shouldn't know about it, and the kernel doesn't care). From the reverse-engineering I've done, it looks like the binary that was included in KitKat didn't properly support a lot of this, which means they likely modified the Android frameworks for the custom behavior. If they didn't modify the frameworks themselves, then they would have to have done the work inside the GDK, which means no application built without the GDK would work properly, which is precisely what I would have liked to avoid.

I wanted a "pure" build of AOSP to work as a typical user might expect. That means the Android frameworks should largely remain untouched, and also means that bringing Glass to Nougat and beyond would just be a matter of updating the kernel and HAL, if necessary. This also means any new apps should simply use the standard Android SDK rather than the GDK, as none of those APIs are supported at all in these AOSP builds.

Bluetooth needs a lot of work too, feel free to play with that instead if you want :) good luck!