[ROM][AOSP 7.0][T700/T705/T800/T805]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

amateurhack

Sep 25, 2011
I am currently using Schischu's MM ROM as my daily driver for my T800 and am having no issues with it., in fact quite the opposite. Is it worth switching to this?

There are lots of little bugs. read the thread and proceed with caution. Only you know if its worth the risks and hassles. I'm using it as my daily, but it's not without compromises.

Orphee

Jan 31, 2008
Google Pixel 8
My build of TWRP supports raw partition backup for several partitions as well as normal backup. The same you would get using the DD command.
If you want a 1-1 backup you can use the system image backup option. More info on this can be found in the twrp thread.

Could you add data IMAGE partition to the list ?
Thanks

Edit : I had to install busybox on the TabS and Cygwin / NetCat package on the PC :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1744584

DD backup in progress

Last edited:

malosasha

Oct 4, 2014
Any plan to update it to 7.1.1?

Sent from my SM-T805 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Yeah sure , i m just waiting for official aosp support for the google reference tablet , pixel C. It should be pushed next month. so either in December or January i ll migrate to 7.1 . Would be cool to fix the RIL and HW Video dec/enc bugs in the meantime.

M9x3mos

May 12, 2008
Around
Is there any way to keep the key lights from being on all the time? I have a t700 and they never seem to shut off. Also I don't get 5ghz Wi-Fi. How do I change the region?

bieltv3

Jun 12, 2012
Barcelona
AOSP 7.0

Hello guys,
I'm bieltv3 and I used to be an android developer a few years back, when porting Ice Cream Sandwich to a legacy device was tendency :D you can find my works at my threads!
Suddenly, I just had in my hands a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700 and, as a good XDA and Android developer, I hate the bad software expierence Samusng offers to their products. The thing is, I am an expierenced guy with Samsung Android development and I was looking forward to any development here... and I just found this!
I haven't installed yet the ROM as I have some questions for the developer or any user that can help. ln my expierence with Android development, bringing CyanogenMod / AOSP to a device with proprietary SoC is not the easiest in Android Development. That's why, here at XDA, we recommend supporting Qualcomm devices as they release the code for their SoC's. When I worked on CM, we made a working ROM for Broadcom chips using propietary pre-compiles libraries (.so) from stock devices with the same chipset. That's not a good workaround but it is better than not working HW drivers (= software rendering expierence). As a consequence, we had the green screen issue you guys are facing... so I'm wondering, do you compile from source the code for the EXYNOS SoC? Did Samsung ever release the code for this chip? I have curiosity as T700 was once supported by official CM team, when CM used to support Qualcomm based chips, such as the 4g model of this tablet. Can anyone explain to me how you guys managed to get HW (Video encoders and decoders) drivers work on this tablet? As far as I knew, Exynos chips were closed source, that's why I am impressed on the works here!

Thanks for reading this, and well... Like to see Android ROM development isn't dead yet! (Pixels are coming...)

Last edited:

subaquatic

Jan 18, 2010
Here's a possible fix if you lost mirroring. Edit the build.prop according to this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54516532&postcount=16

I rolled back to stock until the video issues and battery burn down are resolved, but the problem persisted. Adding the one line to the build.prop fixed it. Don't forget to chmod 644 after you write to the file. Nice to see dedicated work on this tablet.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: amateurhack

malosasha

Oct 4, 2014
Here's a possible fix if you lost mirroring. Edit the build.prop according to this post:

I rolled back to stock until the video issues and battery burn down are resolved, but the problem persisted. Adding the one line to the build.prop fixed it. Don't forget to chmod 644 after you write to the file. Nice to see dedicated work on this tablet.

I just tested with a miracast wifi dongle (emtec mirror dongle) but it does'nt work. The issue is not related to hdcp i think but to openmax avc encoder that is broken.

Reactions: amateurhack

malosasha

Oct 4, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm bieltv3 and I used to be an android developer a few years back, when porting Ice Cream Sandwich to a legacy device was tendency :D you can find my works at my threads!
Suddenly, I just had in my hands a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700 and, as a good XDA and Android developer, I hate the bad software expierence Samusng offers to their products. The thing is, I am an expierenced guy with Samsung Android development and I was looking forward to any development here... and I just found this!
I haven't installed yet the ROM as I have some questions for the developer or any user that can help. ln my expierence with Android development, bringing CyanogenMod / AOSP to a device with proprietary SoC is not the easiest in Android Development. That's why, here at XDA, we recommend supporting Qualcomm devices as they release the code for their SoC's. When I worked on CM, we made a working ROM for Broadcom chips using propietary pre-compiles libraries (.so) from stock devices with the same chipset. That's not a good workaround but it is better than not working HW drivers (= software rendering expierence). As a consequence, we had the green screen issue you guys are facing... so I'm wondering, do you compile from source the code for the EXYNOS SoC? Did Samsung ever release the code for this chip? I have curiosity as T700 was once supported by official CM team, when CM used to support Qualcomm based chips, such as the 4g model of this tablet. Can anyone explain to me how you guys managed to get HW (Video encoders and decoders) drivers work on this tablet? As far as I knew, Exynos chips were closed source, that's why I am impressed on the works here!

Thanks for reading this, and well... Like to see Android ROM development isn't dead yet! (Pixels are coming...)

The hardware based codec lib are closed source and taken from LL rom. Actually the omx layer is wonky and lead to multiple bugs
*Camera video encoding broken(mpeg4)
*Some youtube vids in h264 do not work (avc)
*Screen cast is broken (avc)

Ths lib are located here

Actually the libstagfrighthw has in fact not been updated either from the aosp 6.0 schiscu rom. So i was planning to update it ; use the hw codec blobs from MM and then adapt the new api changed between MM et Nougat. Was just busy since the last release and could not afford 10 mins on this project .

Glad if you can help Pm me if you need more details.

rookie12

Nov 22, 2014

You are saying that You added one line in build prop and it fixed battery drain and heat issue if so where is this line?

Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA-Developers mobile app

bieltv3

Jun 12, 2012
Barcelona
The hardware based codec lib are closed source and taken from LL rom. Actually the omx layer is wonky and lead to multiple bugs
*Camera video encoding broken(mpeg4)
*Some youtube vids in h264 do not work (avc)
*Screen cast is broken (avc)

Ths lib are located here

Actually the libstagfrighthw has in fact not been updated either from the aosp 6.0 schiscu rom. So i was planning to update it ; use the hw codec blobs from MM and then adapt the new api changed between MM et Nougat. Was just busy since the last release and could not afford 10 mins on this project .

Glad if you can help Pm me if you need more details.

Hi, thanks for the response. As I can see this was the standar way used also in CyanogenMod. As I can see, in official cm12.1 releases they also used prebuilt HW decoders libs as I can see HERE but it is also true that CM call's the MakeFiles of Exynof5420-common which does compile the Gralloc libraries. I've spoken with some friends developers involved in CM for the Exynos Devices and we talked about the origin of Exynos Sources. What I see HERE though is that exynos5420 has the order to build libstatgefrighthw from source, so the thing is to make compatible source libraries with prebuilt ones: this require some reverse engineer which is not easy at all. Hopefully, CM team will update its exynos hardware repo's and then we can use their work to adapt the new statgefright libraries for the prebuilt OMX ones. As always, building CM for a device is much more easy than pure AOSP, that's why I may get inside buidling an unofficial CM 14 Rom for it later this year. I am really happy that someone took the time to see which stock libraries were compatible with gralloc and some Open Source libraries that ODROID provided in their EXYNOS motherboards. Unfortunatly this didn't happen beyond KitKat. Android stories :) Anyway, I will try to keep me updated in github to see the progress made. Updating the stock libraries to MM could make some important changes... but this needed to be done when CM13 porting was going on... not on Nougat! We first should have a MM AOSP fully funcitonal ROM with the MM stock SAMSUNG libraries, then move on to Nougat... Anyway, this is an amazing work! As said, I do preefer CM ROM because, as I can see, you had to edit the native AOSP frameworks to adapt the exynos device tree, and that made your github grow... As CM supports other devices, we can use their framework and just modify the exynos device tree, klimtwifi device tree and kernel device tree, as well as update the blobls.
Keep up the good work and I'll stay tuned. Any questions here I will try to answer or elsewhere give some support. Remember this thread is to keep the topic on Development of the ROM, not spamming the thread with bugs report, nougat is still in Beta Stage, so expect this to be an ALPHA release.

malosasha

Oct 4, 2014
Hi, thanks for the response. As I can see this was the standar way used also in CyanogenMod. As I can see, in official cm12.1 releases they also used prebuilt HW decoders libs as I can see HERE but it is also true that CM call's the MakeFiles of Exynof5420-common which does compile the Gralloc libraries. I've spoken with some friends developers involved in CM for the Exynos Devices and we talked about the origin of Exynos Sources. What I see HERE though is that exynos5420 has the order to build libstatgefrighthw from source, so the thing is to make compatible source libraries with prebuilt ones: this require some reverse engineer which is not easy at all. Hopefully, CM team will update its exynos hardware repo's and then we can use their work to adapt the new statgefright libraries for the prebuilt OMX ones. As always, building CM for a device is much more easy than pure AOSP, that's why I may get inside buidling an unofficial CM 14 Rom for it later this year. I am really happy that someone took the time to see which stock libraries were compatible with gralloc and some Open Source libraries that ODROID provided in their EXYNOS motherboards. Unfortunatly this didn't happen beyond KitKat. Android stories :) Anyway, I will try to keep me updated in github to see the progress made. Updating the stock libraries to MM could make some important changes... but this needed to be done when CM13 porting was going on... not on Nougat! We first should have a MM AOSP fully funcitonal ROM with the MM stock SAMSUNG libraries, then move on to Nougat... Anyway, this is an amazing work! As said, I do preefer CM ROM because, as I can see, you had to edit the native AOSP frameworks to adapt the exynos device tree, and that made your github grow... As CM supports other devices, we can use their framework and just modify the exynos device tree, klimtwifi device tree and kernel device tree, as well as update the blobls.
Keep up the good work and I'll stay tuned. Any questions here I will try to answer or elsewhere give some support. Remember this thread is to keep the topic on Development of the ROM, not spamming the thread with bugs report, nougat is still in Beta Stage, so expect this to be an ALPHA release.

This is the same here ; only the hw decoder blobs are closed source ; the other layer are open source and in fact forked from CM
chekc the manifest here : https://github.com/alexmaloteaux/android_chagall_klimt/blob/nougat-release/default.xml
libstagefrighthw is built from here : https://github.com/alexmaloteaux/android_hardware_samsung_slsi_exynos
gralloc from here : https://github.com/alexmaloteaux/android_hardware_samsung_slsi_exynos5420
omx core lib from here : https://github.com/alexmaloteaux/android_hardware_samsung_slsi_openmax

All are the same as on the aosp 6.0 rom from Schischu, as i told you ; i plan to upgrade those to 14.0 cm then follow with the blobs and then look at the required adaptations. I already implemented shims mechanism from android X86 while upgrading gpsd blob from LL to MM if it will be required. (Not yet pushed)
Btw what is the history background between this repo hardware_samsung_slsi_exynos5420 and the insignal one ? : hardware_samsung_slsi_exynos5-insignal.
Do you have any idea ?

Reactions: tensux

C0derbear

Nov 6, 2012
Is there any way to keep the key lights from being on all the time? I have a t700 and they never seem to shut off. Also I don't get 5ghz Wi-Fi. How do I change the region?

re:WiFi

I don't recall the precise path, but it's like this ...

Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced

And there's an option to set the region, once I did that the 5 ghz network at home started showing up on my T700.

Good luck.

malosasha

Oct 4, 2014
re:WiFi

I don't recall the precise path, but it's like this ...

Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced

And there's an option to set the region, once I did that the 5 ghz network at home started showing up on my T700.

Good luck.

It is Settings->Wifi->Settings->Wifi country code right ? I added it like this in the Tip&Tricks sections :) Don''t have 5ghz ap to test atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. INTRODUCTION
      This rom is just a revival work based on the awesome rom from @Schischu in this thread. @Schischu managed to port aosp 6.0 to the galaxy tab S family before samsung ever annouced it, then reiterated the exploit by porting aosp 7.0 to it. Unfortunatly he kind of paused/stopped the job without further notice. So i have revived and will maintain this rom until he eventually decide to take back the project.

I have been downloading roms on xda for various phones since my first htc tytn smart phone almost 10 years ago and one thing that really bother me is that one never know if the job will be stopped or when a new release will be out. So while i consider that this is pure fun and the devs have no obligations to the end users, i will keep this rom alive by applying the monthly patch from Goggle (Around the 10th of each month). The only reason that i could stop doing so is that my galaxy Tab S is lost/stolen or eating by the kids (bet on that one :eek:), if so i will notify it here. I can only really test on the T805 too btw, don't have the other variants.

2. DOWNLOAD

3. GAPPS
      I am not using gapps so i can't really test it. however i can post the latest confirmed version based on post/pms
      LATEST WORKING VERSION : 2016-11-16 (with GApps 2016-Nov-17)​

4. OTA - UPGRADES
      I do not plan to maintain OTA. and i will even disable the options in an upcoming release.
      However it would be great if someone could maintain an ota branch & OpenDelta server each time a new rom is published.
      If you are interested contact me in PM to setup the procedures together.

You can always manually upgrades from twrp (zip or sideload), just clean cache & dalvik after each upgrades and always reinstall Supersu (and gapps)

5. PREREQUISITES

• TWRP 2.8.6.2 or higher. I always use @ashyx newest builds (TWRP builds by @ashyx)

• Applied bootloader update, e.g. by

• flashing the stock 5.0(or higher) samsung rom or

• by applying bootloader directly with odin (link).

Don't skip this step! If the incorrect bootloader is used your device WILL NOT BOOT!

6. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
      • Cleaning System
        This step is only necessary on the initial installation.
        Reboot into recovery. Go into wipe menu. Select "Advanced Wipe". Check
        • Dalvik Cache
        • System
        • Cache
        • Data
        and wipe them. Don't reboot just yet.
      • Install this ROM
        Go into Install
        Flash aosp-XXX.zip
        On initial installation it is necessary to Reboot to Recovery. Don't skip this step!
        (E:unknown command [log] messages can be ignored.)
      • Install Google Apps and SuperSU
        Go into Install
        Flash GAPPS.zip
        Flash SuperSU.zip
        Reboot to System

7. CHANGELOG
        • Fix CVE-2016-5195 (DirtyCow) Kernel privilege exploitation bug
          • Those with compil skills can test before and after flashing with this poc : CVE-2016-5195 Poc
        • Fix Bug : Graphical glitches on rotation
        • [T705/T805]Fix Bug : No Data Connection
          • Rem If dirty flashing from aosp 6 it is necessary to delete those folders :
            Code:
            adb root
            adb shell rm -Rf  /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases
            adb shell rm -Rf  /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/files
        • Fix Bug : No GPS localization (device only)
        • Disable OTA options from settings (OpenDelta still included from the moment (read above)
        • Enable TunerActivity by default (Appears below developer options in Settings)
        • Use apns conf list from CyanogenMod project and add 2 apns for Gabon
        • [Untested] Add a list of webview providers
          • Require gapps to be installed
          • Read here
        • Fix some typos in shutdown/reboot dialog
        • Initial Version based on @Schischu work
        • Update to November Patch
    8. ISSUES
      • CONFIRMED
        • [T705/T805] Tablet may crash and reboot when starting phone call, and overall ril intability (audio quality , ...)
        • Stock camera app works, but crashes when recording video. Better Camera and other gapps camera app crashes too.
        • Screen cast (mirroring)doesn't work
        • Picture taken in portrait mode are not rotated in gallery (lack of orientation metadata ? )
        • [T800/T805] Impossible to register a new fingerprint (Crash in Settings)(fixed in upcoming release)
        • Phone call Activity does not display common controls (mute , speaker , ....)
        • Tablet encryption does not work (neither FDE nor FBE)
        • SEAndroid policy is not enforced
      • UNCONFIRMED (Need further proof to accept or reject)
        • Wifi seems to disconnect during long usage for some users
        • Wifi stays connected while icon is off
        • 4G not working
        • Huge battery drain in some misconfigured situation ( may be related to min cpu freq)
        • Youtube video playing in 1440 or 1080 resolution can be laggy
          • A reference video would be enough to confirm the bug
      • UNTESTED FEATURES
        • Infrared remote
          • Confirmed to work for at least two user ( @Orphee / @Deltafox79) but waiting for confirmation about the need of this patch
    9. DONATION
      • Donate to me
        • Bitcoin : 1CTH7mFUdgPow4Gzzrbbm8mgCa8Q1kohPU
        • Paypal : TODO ( Can't receive Confirmation SMS for mobile phone in my country so far ;( )
    10. REMARK

TODO

11. TIPS'n'TRICKS

• MTP mount are sometimes (each time for me under linux) not browsable after plugging the tablet. As workaround going to Developer options -> Select Usb Configuration and re-choosing MTP, remount it correctly
      • If 5Ghz Wifi does not work , you need to change the region in Settings->Wifi->Settings->Wifi country code
      • Hearthstone and serveral other Unity games: Enable 4x MSAA in development options else it won't work
      • Slither.io and a few other games don't run if 4x MSAA is enabled: Disabled 4x MSAA in development options else it won't work
      • If you install Gapps after the ROM has been booted for the first time you either need to wipe data or manually delete /data/system/users/0/runtime-permissions.xml and reboot. Without this Gapps will crash constantly. This is due to the new permissions-system in M.

12. SOURCE CODE
    13. SCREENSHOTS
      http%3A%2F%2Fduckbox.de%2Fandroid%2Fchagalllte%2Faosp-7.0%2Ftabs_aosp7.gif

14. LEGAL NOTICE

Code:
      /*
       * Your warranty is now void.
       * I will not accept responsibility for any adverse effects to your device,
       * including, but not limited to: bricking, dead SD card, bootloops etc.
       * You mod your device at your own risk.
       */

XDA:DevDB Information
    AOSP 7.0 For Galaxy Tab S, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Contributors
    malosasha, Schischu
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 2016-11-10

Created 2016-11-13
    Last Updated 2016-11-26
    Hi sorry guys but i had to report working on this rom ; i caught Malaria last week and just start recovering. Hope to manage the 7.1 migration during end of year . Best Regards
    this rom being in an alpha/beta stage ; i think i will try to migrate it to 7.1 this month as pixel C is now officially suported.
    Locally i only have a fix for gpsd to push so it is the good time to do it i think.
    Hi people is there currently any fix for this rom and HD video playback lag? Searching through the thread seems the answer is NO because of hardware decoding stuff but since my t800's main purpose is a video watching machine I'm going to have to go back to 6.0 again if I can't fix it

As @zigonneux said don't use this rom for video atm all omx decoder/encoders are pretty buggy atm.
    I had to pause the dev for 2 weeks , then now catching up with work and get ready for chistmas ...
    Just check here every 2 weeks / month i m pretty sure that video bug can be easily fixed by me or some side help and i don't plan to abandon this rom.

Best Regards
    How are the current bug fixes coming? While it will be really cool to take a peek at 7.1, (I would certainly give it a try) I'm sure that upgrading won't magically fix all the issues.

No it won't ; In the best case there won't be any regression.
    I ll take a look at the video issue after this ; the bugs are really talky and i don't see any reason to not find the fix.
    For the ril this may be way harder.
    need to finish a small TODO list regarding end of year schedule and i ll do it .