[ROM][AOSP][8.1 Oreo] Unlegacy Android (Unofficial)

Search This thread

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
i only follow tutorial on andi only
Update:
If you want to fix your tab at your own risk, try this:
1. Download both espressowifi and espresso3g zip
2. Extract both
3. Put the META-INF folder from espressowifi zip, and all other files from espresso3g zip, into a single folder (The other files are not placed into the META-INF folder, but alongside one another in the folder).
4. Go into the folder (which should contain META-INF, system.img, and boot.img, maybe more), select all files, right click, then click compress into zip file. Then flash that zip.
5. Happy testing

Last edited:
EDIT: I got it to work. l had the wrong TWRP installed. Works also with TWRP 3.3.0-2.

Thanks to developers pushing this G.Tab 2 thru Android Oreo, but lm having trouble flashing the coffee onto the device GT-P5100 3G Europe. I followed all of the updated instructions from the first page of this Thread. Installed Odin to Comp, flashed the twrp, was successful.
I followed also the instructions after installing the TWRP that flashing multidisabler might be neccessary for it to unlock. That failed (picture).
Then tried flashing espresso 3G, also failed. Device was normally wiped and after also advanced wiped; dalvik,system,cache data. I watched this video (
), but it doesnt go thru the install like in the video.
Any solutions ?

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

CoreNameJhay

Oct 29, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Thanks to developers pushing this G.Tab 2 thru Android Oreo, but lm having trouble flashing the coffee onto the device GT-P5100 3G Europe. I followed all of the updated instructions from the first page of this Thread. Installed Odin to Comp, flashed the twrp, was successful.
I followed also the instructions after installing the TWRP that flashing multidisabler might be neccessary for it to unlock. That failed (picture).
Then tried flashing espresso 3G, also failed. Device was normally wiped and after also advanced wiped; dalvik,system,cache data. I watched this video (
), but it doesnt go thru the install like in the video.
Any solutions ?
you are using a older TWRP well that causes problems to install Android 8.1, you need atleast TWRP 3.4.0-0 to install it without problems

you are using a older TWRP well that causes problems to install Android 8.1, you need atleast TWRP 3.4.0-0 to install it without problem
Thank you for response, but it didnt work with TWRP 3.4.0-0, it failed, but it was successful with TWRP 3.3.0-2

• I most often use twrp from andi, AOSP rom, SLIM, LineageOS, Omni, I tried and it's the same.
  • the error is still the same
  • and finally my roms returned to the default version
  • and everything works normally, but im only use rom in version 4.1.2 :(
Look at Page 19, I posted the solution where it worked for me. TWRP 3.3.0.-2 and coffee 3g 20220213

Yes, Firefox requires really high resources. It won't even work on my Lenovo tab with 2GB ram and a decent processor.
Maybe try Brave?
Latest Brave wont work. I installed Brave v1.35.100 , one of the first versions. It works fluid for a 1GB RAM (but dont get to excited). It crashed and rebooted the Tab when l tried to open Discord Web app.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 12

Mighty

Mar 17, 2018
To clear this TWRP confusion, after wiping system, data and so on, you cannot install a zip, you need to reboot back to recovery zip after that to make it work. I use twrp 3.4 myself and it has worked for me using this method and will work on all unified recoveries by Andi (https://github.com/andi34/samsung_galaxy_tab2_secrets/blob/master/FAQ#L11)

Latest Brave wont work. I installed Brave v1.35.100 , one of the first versions. It works fluid for a 1GB RAM (but dont get to excited). It crashed and rebooted the Tab when l tried to open Discord Web app.
I don't exactly know why this happens, even firefox crashes and makes the tab reboot. Hard point is to get the logs (maybe last_kmsg or some service that writes logcat to a file)

Last edited:
Reactions: Freemaurer
New builds are now available (UnlegacyAndroid 8.1). Both espressowifi and espresso3g has been built.
  • If your model is P3110, P5110, P3113 or P5113, download the espressowifi build.
  • If your model is P3100 or P5100, download the espresso3g build.
What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status, hardware accelerated video
What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

DOWNLOADS:
The md5sum files are optional. Use them to verify the integrity of the downloaded files.

INSTALL GUIDE (espressowifi)
INSTALL GUIDE (espresso3g)

CHANGELOG:
- Implement F2FS support (Merge request)
- Apply GPU accelerated video patch
- Upstream changes (if any)

The previous build is available here
Build scripts for the device available here
Automated jenkins builds are nearing completion.
I tested it last night so l wanted to give my feedback.
Bluetooth is working with mp3 and pdf/word files, but wont support transfer even small APK files, it says its not supported by Galaxy Tab 2, works with wireless headphones.
charging is recognised after couple of minutes (battery icon gets lightning sign), Brave works, but only the first versions like Brave v1.35.100 - l invite you to try others starting from there, latest Brave wont even start. Discord Web app is not working, in fact it tries to load in Brave but then crashes the Tablet and reboots the sistem UPDATE: after that crash, l tried again, and possibly after it loaded the page once again, l got presented with a QR Code. Feels kinda slow, but i dont need it for anything else but reading text. Vanced works, l installed it thru latest Vanced Manager. It sets the first page with Videos quite fast. Background playback works but if yu exit to home screen, yu will only hear sound, "try new features" doesnt show in Settings even if its the latest version of Vanced (17.03.38 - Build - 01.55.00) ; that small video screen wont appear over other apps. Videos run smooth after they load a bit after few seconds, except the FPT videos, they are lagging, but he probably doesnt use compression on his video content. scrcpy doesnt work even with USB - tethering turned on in Dev settings. WIN-Comp pushes the command, Tab freezes and than shows "snow" on the screen, after which yu have to reboot it over Power button. And the last part; Windows wont let yu safely remove Tablet from USB.

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 30
  • scrcpy-1.jpeg
    scrcpy-1.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 27
  • scrcpy-2.jpeg
    scrcpy-2.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
To clear this TWRP confusion, after wiping system, data and so on, you cannot install a zip, you need to reboot back to recovery zip after that to make it work. I use twrp 3.4 myself and it has worked for me using this method and will work on all unified recoveries by Andi (https://github.com/andi34/samsung_galaxy_tab2_secrets/blob/master/FAQ#L11)

Don't rea

I don't exactly know why this happens, even firefox crashes and makes the tab reboot. Hard point is to get the logs (maybe last_kmsg or some service that writes logcat to a file)
since lm new to this, its my first rooting/flashing Android on a device, lm unfamiliar with all of the terms. If l can help providing sum logs, please give me a holla (and "how to").

Mighty

Mar 17, 2018
since lm new to this, its my first rooting/flashing Android on a device, lm unfamiliar with all of the terms. If l can help providing sum logs, please give me a holla (and "how to").
holla! :D

to get logs you need to run `logcat` maybe through adb as in connected to a pc, or just through a terminal on the device, no worries if you dont know how, I'll try to get those myself on my device

Mighty

Mar 17, 2018
I tested it last night so l wanted to give my feedback.
Bluetooth is working with mp3 and pdf/word files, but wont support transfer even small APK files, it says its not supported by Galaxy Tab 2, works with wireless headphones.
charging is recognised after couple of minutes (battery icon gets lightning sign), Brave works, but only the first versions like Brave v1.35.100 - l invite you to try others starting from there, latest Brave wont even start. Discord Web app is not working, in fact it tries to load in Brave but then crashes the Tablet and reboots the sistem. Vanced works, l installed it thru latest Vanced Manager. It sets the first page with Videos quite fast. Background playback works but if yu exit to home screen, yu will only hear sound, "try new features" doesnt show in Settings even if its the latest version of Vanced (17.03.38 - Build - 01.55.00) ; that small video screen wont appear over other apps. Videos run smooth after they load a bit after few seconds, except the FPT videos, they are lagging, but he probably doesnt use compression on his video content. scrcpy doesnt work even with USB - tethering turned on in Dev settings. WIN-Comp pushes the command, Tab freezes and than shows "snow" on the screen, after which yu have to reboot it over Power button. And the last part; Windows wont let yu safely remove Tablet from USB.
First of all thanks for the detailed review! About bluetooth i never tried copying files so thats a nice catch. Charging works fine for me, on usb as well, dunno what the issue is (bad cable?). Why use web app when discord app exists? About Vanced, please contact their developers, I have no clue about that. About scrcpy, please send in some logs and maybe create an issue on their github, so even their devs can help us out! Windows wont let you safely remove the tablet, this is new I'll have to dig into this once i get time. Anyways I'll add these to my ever expanding list of todos :p

ginore

Feb 15, 2015
Mantova
no problem, the rom is very good, thanks!

I was just wondering if any updates had been made to the February rom.

First of all thanks for the detailed review! About bluetooth i never tried copying files so thats a nice catch. Charging works fine for me, on usb as well, dunno what the issue is (bad cable?). Why use web app when discord app exists? About Vanced, please contact their developers, I have no clue about that. About scrcpy, please send in some logs and maybe create an issue on their github, so even their devs can help us out! Windows wont let you safely remove the tablet, this is new I'll have to dig into this once i get time. Anyways I'll add these to my ever expanding list of todos :p
Its still original Samsung cable. The device was barely used before, so its like brand new. Charging got little laggie after running thru sum processing with the apps. When its not connected to a PC right before, it shows "charging battery instantly. For the Discord, I will try the app also on the weekend, just wanted to pack as small amount of apps on that "1GB RAM bad boy" as possible, so just tried it thru Brave browser. But it worked eventually (l updated the first review). Will send you the logs or post it here on the weekend; l will try to get them over PC and also report it on Github. Vanced also. You (and other devs) actually resurected my old tablet, so lm glad l can help 🙂

Reactions: Mighty

RDS5

stupid question:
how does this rom compare to others? is it as fast/nearly as fast?
also, ive heard about ways to optimize android compiler to make android run faster, would that be applicable here? (uber toolchain or something).
sorry this question is so noobish xd, i just got this tablet from e-waste and im trying to squeeze some speed out of it (it has some half decent speakers, so ideally for media consumption).
also, could anyone help point me in the right direction for a fast custom rom? just looking for decent battery life and usable speeds.

stupid question:
how does this rom compare to others? is it as fast/nearly as fast?
also, ive heard about ways to optimize android compiler to make android run faster, would that be applicable here? (uber toolchain or something).
sorry this question is so noobish xd, i just got this tablet from e-waste and im trying to squeeze some speed out of it (it has some half decent speakers, so ideally for media consumption).
also, could anyone help point me in the right direction for a fast custom rom? just looking for decent battery life and usable speeds.
check out Orion OS. Havent tried this because keeps giving me corrupt zip error

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The download servers and build servers will be undergoing maintainence over the coming few days.
    That means that downloads for espressowifi and espresso3g builds may not be available through the pavela.net domain. Once the maintainance is done, it should allow the build server to be up more reliably.

More information about server status is available here: https://status.pavela.net/
    And the Jenkins build server with espressowifi and espresso3g builds and their logs can be viewed here: https://jenkins.pavela.net/

I've uploaded the latest builds to a mirror. Use these links if the pavela.net domain is down. These builds are the same as the ones uploaded earlier, just in a mirror while the download server will be going through maintainance.

DOWNLOADS:
    espressowifi
    espresso3g

Once maintainance is done, automated builds for espresso and espresso3g and access to more builds for more devices should be available soon™
    im going with orion for now, but ill probably switch to oreo once it gets a proper SEPolicy.
    orion seems alot faster (although i may not have waited long enough for oreo's optimization to do its thing).
    i have a question tho, is it just my tablet, or can this rom not handle 1080p youtube on newpipe? im ok with watching in 720p (native resolution of the tablet), but i just want to know if it can handle 1080p youtube.
    also, would battery life on this rom be similar to orion?
    The tablet has a resolution of 1024x600 (7 inch) so even enabling 1080p on YouTube wouldn't upgrade the hardware 😂
    This has SEPolicy working iirc
    i didnt know it was that low..
    i thought it was in the ballpark of 1280x720, but whatever. i didnt mind that it couldnt play 1080p youtube itself, i just want better battery life and it to handle 720p video. it handles 720p video, but i havent tested for battery life.
    is it comparable to other roms in terms of battery life?
    FYI 1280*720 is the 10.1 inch model. This might have been confused some of you.
    Is there already any fix for the camera?
    Not yet
    I'm using the camer for zoom meeteings. It's useful dispite the old camera.
    ah alright that makes more sense
    Because I mean, who will carry a 500g heavy tablet just to take some photos instead of a 200g light phone?
    exactly. especially when dslrs are getting cheap nowadays, and phone cameras are getting damn good.
    But it may still be useful for video conferencing though, I mean, people only look at whether you have turned on camera or not, to prove that you are here, but will not examine the quality, unless you are the main speaker that gets attention.
    yeah, plus more important is a decent microphone, which this tablet probably has? i havent used it much, i quite literally just got this tablet a few days ago..
    Warranties:
    THIS GUIDE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OF BREAKING YOUR PRECIOUS TABLET.
    PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE CONTINUING, AS THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.
    Also, this guide assumes you have the following requirements:
    • Bootloader unlocked
    • TWRP installed

Installation:
    Before proceeding, pick the tablet and go to TWRP.
    Do the normal wipes for clean flash.
    Copy the zip to sdcard or on the tab wherever you like.
    Flash the zip from TWRP.
    Reboot and done, enjoy :)

Problems:
    Wifi connects but shows no internet. (Need help in fixing this!) Fixed!
    No SELinux support yet!
    Cameras will NOT work, as we are using a newer 3.4 kernel for Oreo!
    GPS
    You tell :D

Download:
    espresso3g
    espressowifi

Thanks for @LR7875 for making it work on espressowifi!!
    Thanks to Daniel071 for his support! See #306

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: 8.1.0 Oreo
    Updated link in #1 where wifi is working now!
    Great to see that development continues!
    Thanks a lot @Mighty and @html6405 !

From time to time I am reading on XDA or taking a look at our dev chat Channels, even if I am not a big help anymore.

I am spending my rare spare time working on a OpenSource Photobooth project, mainly to run on a raspberry pi.

My daughter was born end of August and now new, different challenges are waiting for me!

Best regards

Andi
    I compiled Unlegacy Android 8.0 builds for espressowifi using sources from thread. Automated builds using jenkins for espresso (wifi) and espresso3g coming soon

DOWNLOAD (espresso)

INSTALL GUIDE

What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

Stock calendar and email apps are missing due to causing numerous build issues.
    If the right stereo speakers has any delayed popping/clicking sounds please let me know.

espressowifi.jpg

Screenshot_20220201-220027.png

Screenshot_20220201-220233.png

Screenshot_20220201-220203.png
    Device specific resources you will need

My manifests files (in .repo/local_manifests/espresso.xml)
    XML:
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="github"
               fetch="https://github.com/"/>

<!-- device specfic files -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso" path="device/samsung/espresso" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso3g" path="device/samsung/espresso3g" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>

<!-- kernel -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_kernel_ti_omap4" path="kernel/ti/omap4"  remote="github" revision="3.4/common"/>
      <project name="airend/android_hardware_ti_omap4" path="hardware/ti/omap4" remote="github" revision="stable"/>
    </manifest>

Need help getting started?

For other questions or support, either contact Mighty or ask for help in the XDA discord

Huge thanks to MightyM17 for the port and support.
    Yeah, I agree with you. @Mighty, you better change your name to Almighty because many devs tried to build this rom but failed. Only you were successful to get the rom even booting in tab 2. That's really a big step forward.💯🏆⚡🎉🎆
    Haha, thanks a lot! It's my pleasure to work on tab 2, and many thanks to Ziyan, Andi, html6405 for helping me out!