[ROM][AOSP][8.1 Oreo] Unlegacy Android (Unofficial)

Search This thread

RDS5

will do, flashing it right now.
i prefer more modern versions of android (i dont like sticking to older versions of android), but im willing to try this to see if performance is alot better than others (like omni7 and this rom).
i might end up coming to this rom again if orion has similar battery life tho, since this rom did run 720p youtube (although barely, with newpipe) and ran brawl stars (a semi-intensive mobile game, usually its optimized) and well.. it managed to run "playable" but it entered some "low graphics" mode and most models werent loading. i think it detected that im using a mali 400mp and tried to not cook this tablet and enter that low graphics mode. come to think of it, it makes alot of sense. this thing has no thermal sensor, so it can, quite literally, cook itself to death.
Havent tried this because keeps giving me corrupt zip error
are you using the latest version of twrp? at least for me, on espressowifi (GT-P5113), everything made for it seems to be flashing fine. if you are on the latest official version of twrp (espresso3g or espressowifi).

RDS5

Using twrp 3.3. Cant update because my data cable broke
ah.
im using 3.4 so thats probably where the issue is..
you could probably buy one for cheap off ebay, thats where i got mine. i tested this tablet before that using a 30 pin iphone cable, but of course you know this tablet works already, so really you only need to get the cable from somewhere like ebay.
in any case, wish you good luck.

RDS5

im going with orion for now, but ill probably switch to oreo once it gets a proper SEPolicy.
orion seems alot faster (although i may not have waited long enough for oreo's optimization to do its thing).
i have a question tho, is it just my tablet, or can this rom not handle 1080p youtube on newpipe? im ok with watching in 720p (native resolution of the tablet), but i just want to know if it can handle 1080p youtube.
also, would battery life on this rom be similar to orion?

Mighty

Mar 17, 2018
im going with orion for now, but ill probably switch to oreo once it gets a proper SEPolicy.
orion seems alot faster (although i may not have waited long enough for oreo's optimization to do its thing).
i have a question tho, is it just my tablet, or can this rom not handle 1080p youtube on newpipe? im ok with watching in 720p (native resolution of the tablet), but i just want to know if it can handle 1080p youtube.
also, would battery life on this rom be similar to orion?
The tablet has a resolution of 1024x600 (7 inch) so even enabling 1080p on YouTube wouldn't upgrade the hardware 😂
This has SEPolicy working iirc

• Haha
Reactions: LR7875

RDS5

The tablet has a resolution of 1024x600 (7 inch) so even enabling 1080p on YouTube wouldn't upgrade the hardware 😂
This has SEPolicy working iirc
i didnt know it was that low..
i thought it was in the ballpark of 1280x720, but whatever. i didnt mind that it couldnt play 1080p youtube itself, i just want better battery life and it to handle 720p video. it handles 720p video, but i havent tested for battery life.
is it comparable to other roms in terms of battery life?

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
i didnt know it was that low..
i thought it was in the ballpark of 1280x720, but whatever. i didnt mind that it couldnt play 1080p youtube itself, i just want better battery life and it to handle 720p video. it handles 720p video, but i havent tested for battery life.
is it comparable to other roms in terms of battery life?
FYI 1280*720 is the 10.1 inch model. This might have been confused some of you.

Reactions: Mighty

Mighty

Mar 17, 2018
I can't comment about my battery life, it's still the same battery it was 10 years ago, so quite degraded, sorry bout that

RDS5

I can't comment about my battery life, it's still the same battery it was 10 years ago, so quite degraded, sorry bout that
well, at the end of the day, we're all using the same tablet, and mine (from what i can see at least) probably hasnt had its battery replaced. i have no idea of this tablet's history, because it quite literally was found in e-waste, but judging by the fact that someone hated this thing so much they decided to throw it away even tho it still functions pretty much fine means that this thing probably wasnt cared for enough to ever get repaired.
also, side tangent, who the hell throws away a fully functional tablet?! or a 5000$ 4k samsung tv.
who has this money.

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
also, side tangent, who the hell throws away a fully functional tablet
Well, a lot of people don't know about the custom ROMs and the Android 4.1 stock ROM is indeed, not very useful (can't install most apps, and generally slow). But I think to get rid of it, that person should at least have listed it on eBay for 10 bucks or less as an electronic picture frame instead of dumping it, so to reduce e waste.

Last edited:

RDS5

Is there already any fix for the camera?
..no offense but uhh.. what do you need this camera for?
this camera is literally a solid 20 miles worse than the galaxy s4's camera, and that phone's from 2013..
..why in the world would anyone need this camera in 2022?
unless you want it for video confrencing? but that front camera is even worse than the back camera..

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
this camera is literally a solid 20 miles worse than the galaxy s4's camera, and that phone's from 2013..
unless you want it for video confrencing? but that front camera is even worse than the back camera..
Well is worse than the first gen galaxy S camera. (The photos are like have gone to Mars and back.) Because I mean, who will carry a 500g heavy tablet just to take some photos instead of a 200g light phone?
But it may still be useful for video conferencing though, I mean, people only look at whether you have turned on camera or not, to prove that you are here, but will not examine the quality, unless you are the main speaker that gets attention.

SanyoL

Oct 31, 2009
I'm using the camer for zoom meeteings. It's useful dispite the old camera.

RDS5

I'm using the camer for zoom meeteings. It's useful dispite the old camera.
ah alright that makes more sense
Because I mean, who will carry a 500g heavy tablet just to take some photos instead of a 200g light phone?
exactly. especially when dslrs are getting cheap nowadays, and phone cameras are getting damn good.
But it may still be useful for video conferencing though, I mean, people only look at whether you have turned on camera or not, to prove that you are here, but will not examine the quality, unless you are the main speaker that gets attention.
yeah, plus more important is a decent microphone, which this tablet probably has? i havent used it much, i quite literally just got this tablet a few days ago..

Reactions: LR7875

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://github.com/MightyM17/android_kernel_ti_omap4 the kernel is open source feel free to make the changes
    Thanks for the reply.

Ok, Mighty, I will try make the changes. Thanks.
    Warranties:
    THIS GUIDE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OF BREAKING YOUR PRECIOUS TABLET.
    PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE CONTINUING, AS THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.
    Also, this guide assumes you have the following requirements:
    • Bootloader unlocked
    • TWRP installed

Installation:
    Before proceeding, pick the tablet and go to TWRP.
    Do the normal wipes for clean flash.
    Copy the zip to sdcard or on the tab wherever you like.
    Flash the zip from TWRP.
    Reboot and done, enjoy :)

Problems:
    Wifi connects but shows no internet. (Need help in fixing this!) Fixed!
    No SELinux support yet!
    Cameras will NOT work, as we are using a newer 3.4 kernel for Oreo!
    GPS
    You tell :D

Download:
    espresso3g
    espressowifi

Thanks for @LR7875 for making it work on espressowifi!!
    Thanks to Daniel071 for his support! See #306

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: 8.1.0 Oreo
    Updated link in #1 where wifi is working now!
    Great to see that development continues!
    Thanks a lot @Mighty and @html6405 !

From time to time I am reading on XDA or taking a look at our dev chat Channels, even if I am not a big help anymore.

I am spending my rare spare time working on a OpenSource Photobooth project, mainly to run on a raspberry pi.

My daughter was born end of August and now new, different challenges are waiting for me!

Best regards

Andi
    I compiled Unlegacy Android 8.0 builds for espressowifi using sources from thread. Automated builds using jenkins for espresso (wifi) and espresso3g coming soon

DOWNLOAD (espresso)

INSTALL GUIDE

What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

Stock calendar and email apps are missing due to causing numerous build issues.
    If the right stereo speakers has any delayed popping/clicking sounds please let me know.

espressowifi.jpg

Screenshot_20220201-220027.png

Screenshot_20220201-220233.png

Screenshot_20220201-220203.png
    Device specific resources you will need

My manifests files (in .repo/local_manifests/espresso.xml)
    XML:
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="github"
               fetch="https://github.com/"/>

<!-- device specfic files -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso" path="device/samsung/espresso" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso3g" path="device/samsung/espresso3g" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>

<!-- kernel -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_kernel_ti_omap4" path="kernel/ti/omap4"  remote="github" revision="3.4/common"/>
      <project name="airend/android_hardware_ti_omap4" path="hardware/ti/omap4" remote="github" revision="stable"/>
    </manifest>

Need help getting started?

For other questions or support, either contact Mighty or ask for help in the XDA discord

Huge thanks to MightyM17 for the port and support.
    Yeah, I agree with you. @Mighty, you better change your name to Almighty because many devs tried to build this rom but failed. Only you were successful to get the rom even booting in tab 2. That's really a big step forward.💯🏆⚡🎉🎆
    Haha, thanks a lot! It's my pleasure to work on tab 2, and many thanks to Ziyan, Andi, html6405 for helping me out!