[ROM][AOSP][8.1 Oreo] Unlegacy Android (Unofficial)

Search This thread
After a while, i've retried the build on my tab 2 wifi. By now, it's running not that bad for a now ten years old tablet. Funny for me is, that some apps (i've flashed gapps, too) won't work first, but do work fine after an first update by the play store.

One thing i do not unterstand is, that my Browser downloads something and saves it, but if i try to localise it, it's not there. Hitting the "download ready" message opens it anyway, and i can save it somewhere.

Until now, this Android was working fully stable.

Helping to get another working version with last updates: until now, i am too stupid to get that procedure done.. I've failed a year ago with it.

Just as an idea: i've charged it in twrp for testing purpose, but not under 15 %. Maybe someone likes to try that, if in trouble?

Reactions: missytoby2000

RDS5

One thing i do not unterstand is, that my Browser downloads something and saves it, but if i try to localise it, it's not there. Hitting the "download ready" message opens it anyway, and i can save it somewhere.
im using brave browser (chromium based) and it works fine, what browser are you using?
Helping to get another working version with last updates: until now, i am too stupid to get that procedure done.. I've failed a year ago with it.
its not so hard, its mostly just the fact that 8.1.0 is outdated build wise (still uses jack to build) so it doesnt work properly under modern linux distros.
i had to spin up an ubuntu 18.04 vm just to get it to build successfully, and the build doesnt even boot anyways.

@Mighty did you ever test the patches you added for SELinux? because my tablet wont boot with the build i just compiled, and im wondering if ive done something wrong.
i have built android multiple times in the past so i sorta half know what im doing, but in this case i honestly dont know if i did something wrong or if there's something with your code

Reactions: Catfish78

Mighty

Yes I did test SELinux and it worked fine for me, I might have the build somewhere xD
Wdym it doesnt boot? Goes back to twrp? Bootloops?
Anyways once 8.1 has bugs squashed, which I have no idea how (power saver, cold booting etc) we could easily go to 9.0

RDS5

Yes I did test SELinux and it worked fine for me, I might have the build somewhere xD
Wdym it doesnt boot? Goes back to twrp? Bootloops?
it shows the galaxy tab 2 screen, flashes and then shows black
i had this happen previously when i flashed the wrong kernel, so theres something probably wrong with the kernel, and i thought it was SELinux.
i guess not, seems like ive done something wrong.
Anyways once 8.1 has bugs squashed, which I have no idea how (power saver, cold booting etc) we could easily go to 9.0
wait, whats wrong with power saver?
also, we should probably work on moving to lineageos sources, since they're quite a bit easier to work with than UA/AOSP (UA is abandoned too)

EDIT: im going to try using 16.04 (the version UA used to build) as i know that sometimes newer compilers can cause issues with source code, although i feel thats unlikely if you got it to compile too.

what are you using to compile this? im honestly really stuck here as to why my build wont work but yours will, since we're working off the same code..

Last edited:
im using brave browser (chromium based) and it works fine, what browser are you using?

Don't hit me, i'm using Edge. The alternative, Firefox, which is on my main phone, is not working here until now. Edge works fine, only that download issue is a problem in my case . There are some graphic errors by showing empty tab bars, but that's ok.

its not so hard, its mostly just the fact that 8.1.0 is outdated build wise (still uses jack to build) so it doesnt work properly under modern linux distros.
i had to spin up an ubuntu 18.04 vm just to get it to build successfully, and the build doesnt even boot anyways.

@Mighty did you ever test the patches you added for SELinux? because my tablet wont boot with the build i just compiled, and im wondering if ive done something wrong.
i have built android multiple times in the past so i sorta half know what im doing, but in this case i honestly dont know if i did something wrong or if there's something with your code

Maybe i'll give it a try again, if i find the time. I don't own fast PCs, but i think it will be fast enough for it, with some extra time.

RDS5

Don't hit me, i'm using Edge. The alternative, Firefox, which is on my main phone, is not working here until now. Edge works fine, only that download issue is a problem in my case . There are some graphic errors by showing empty tab bars, but that's ok.
may i ask why you are using edge? 😅
also, if i remember correctly, firefox did work (slowly) on 6.0.1
anyways, edge is chromium based so i dont get why it doesnt work while all other chromium browsers work, so its probably an edge issue and not a problem chromium and this rom. (ive used brave to download games and stuff and it works perfectly fine, even with big files ~700mb)
maybe when you want to download something you may want to switch to a different browser, or just use a different browser entirely.
this bug does sound like a microsoft bug tho, so its not really got to do with this rom specifically.

also, those graphical issues with the tabs is something to do with this tablet's gpu/gpu driver, the SGX540 behaves strangely in lollipop+ for whatever reason, its not slow or anything but just buggy and bizarre, so this stuff is to be expected and nothing really scary.
Maybe i'll give it a try again, if i find the time. I don't own fast PCs, but i think it will be fast enough for it, with some extra time.
aight, if i manage to succeed id be glad to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catfish78

Mighty

it shows the galaxy tab 2 screen, flashes and then shows black
i had this happen previously when i flashed the wrong kernel, so theres something probably wrong with the kernel, and i thought it was SELinux.
i guess not, seems like ive done something wrong.

wait, whats wrong with power saver?
also, we should probably work on moving to lineageos sources, since they're quite a bit easier to work with than UA/AOSP (UA is abandoned too)

EDIT: im going to try using 16.04 (the version UA used to build) as i know that sometimes newer compilers can cause issues with source code, although i feel thats unlikely if you got it to compile too.

what are you using to compile this? im honestly really stuck here as to why my build wont work but yours will, since we're working off the same code..
Yup gonna move to Lineage (sources are on my git :p), will just build on my laptop now ssince im pretty bored :D
So if its showing a black screen, can you connect usb and does it get detected, also can you hear any audio? Maybe the display is being blocked by SELinux (its very irritating)
Regarding power saver, i dont remember the exact issue, but it just fails to turn on

RDS5

Yup gonna move to Lineage (sources are on my git :p), will just build on my laptop now ssince im pretty bored :D
i noticed those, what's their current status? i kinda wanna try those too..
So if its showing a black screen, can you connect usb and does it get detected, also can you hear any audio? Maybe the display is being blocked by SELinux (its very irritating)
i thought that too, but the backlight was on and i expected it to dim, but it didnt. also i somehow lost the usb cable for this tablet, and im now only able to charge it (i charge it with an iphone 30-pin connector)
Regarding power saver, i dont remember the exact issue, but it just fails to turn on
oh, last time i tried it i think it worked but i dont quite remember..
ill try that out.

EDIT: once again it doesnt boot even building with 16.04, which device did you test your SELinux build on @Mighty? mine's p5113 (espressowifi)

Last edited:

RDS5

Gimme some time to build it then, currently i took up halium xD
Cant do both at the same time
building lineageos or UA with SELinux?
i might try to build lineageos, since ive got spare computers i can run the build process on. (although ive been busy with some other things)

also, i noticed you were working on postmarketos for this tablet, how's that going? does it have gpu support yet? (obviously with the proprietary gpu drivers)

may i ask why you are using edge? 😅
also, if i remember correctly, firefox did work (slowly) on 6.0.1
anyways, edge is chromium based so i dont get why it doesnt work while all other chromium browsers work, so its probably an edge issue and not a problem chromium and this rom. (ive used brave to download games and stuff and it works perfectly fine, even with big files ~700mb)
maybe when you want to download something you may want to switch to a different browser, or just use a different browser entirely.
this bug does sound like a microsoft bug tho, so its not really got to do with this rom specifically.

also, those graphical issues with the tabs is something to do with this tablet's gpu/gpu driver, the SGX540 behaves strangely in lollipop+ for whatever reason, its not slow or anything but just buggy and bizarre, so this stuff is to be expected and nothing really scary.

aight, if i manage to succeed id be glad to help.
I'm using Edge because i have my reason , and, as told, i use other browsers, too. :) .

Edge works on the Tab 2 stable, only this "my download is not in the download folder (or anywhere else)" makes me unhappy. On other reflashed, old tablets/phones Edge do work without issues. I do not really need the Tab 2 as a daily driver, just thought about silent users which tries this build.

If i would get enough time, i would like to learn how to build those aosp/lineageos or else OS alternatives by myself. But i'm more of an physical worker than working at software. I'm barely just too old i think.

Mighty

building lineageos or UA with SELinux?
i might try to build lineageos, since ive got spare computers i can run the build process on. (although ive been busy with some other things)

also, i noticed you were working on postmarketos for this tablet, how's that going? does it have gpu support yet? (obviously with the proprietary gpu drivers)
Nah, Halium/Ubuntu Touch and LineageOS, anyways I'll work on Lineage today hopefully
Yeah postmarketOS is going great we got a community release and support for all Tab 2 (P3xxx and P5xxx)
GPU support is here - https://gitlab.com/pvrports/pvrports/-/tree/v22.12

RDS5

Nah, Halium/Ubuntu Touch and LineageOS, anyways I'll work on Lineage today hopefully
aight, tell me how it works out
ill most likely try to compile it too
Yeah postmarketOS is going great we got a community release and support for all Tab 2 (P3xxx and P5xxx)

GPU support is here - https://gitlab.com/pvrports/pvrports/-/tree/v22.12
oh, ill probably install it once i find my usb cable.
this tablet has mainline too?

ReWeNgE

Feb 27, 2023
Hi everyone.
I tried to install gapps arm 8.1 stock but tablet havn't enough system space but i have 12 gb free space

What can i do ?
thanks

RDS5

Hi everyone.
I tried to install gapps arm 8.1 stock but tablet havn't enough system space but i have 12 gb free space

What can i do ?
thanks
its referring to not enough free space on the /system partition
install a smaller gapps package, or dont use gapps at all (i dont and it still works fine).
if you use a big gapps package and it was able to install onto the system partition (eg. by resizing the size of the system partition in the pit file) it would likely crash anyways, so you'll need as lightweight as you can get.

ReWeNgE

Feb 27, 2023
its referring to not enough free space on the /system partition
install a smaller gapps package, or dont use gapps at all (i dont and it still works fine).
if you use a big gapps package and it was able to install onto the system partition (eg. by resizing the size of the system partition in the pit file) it would likely crash anyways, so you'll need as lightweight as you can get.
Thanks
With pico It work but it's too slow

Which roms Is faster ?
Maybe with Android 6 marshmallow?

luchettodj94

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks
With pico It work but it's too slow

Which roms Is faster ?
Maybe with Android 6 marshmallow?
The dhollmen rom based on marshmallow is the more stable, is also pretty fast (there was couple rom that were faster than this but in long term they were not that good, speacially in heat and battery) and it have an amazing battery span, there is also a custom kernel but i didn't tried it yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warranties:
    THIS GUIDE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OF BREAKING YOUR PRECIOUS TABLET.
    PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE CONTINUING, AS THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.
    Also, this guide assumes you have the following requirements:
    • Bootloader unlocked
    • TWRP installed

Installation:
    Before proceeding, pick the tablet and go to TWRP.
    Do the normal wipes for clean flash.
    Copy the zip to sdcard or on the tab wherever you like.
    Flash the zip from TWRP.
    Reboot and done, enjoy :)

Problems:
    Wifi connects but shows no internet. (Need help in fixing this!) Fixed!
    No SELinux support yet!
    Cameras will NOT work, as we are using a newer 3.4 kernel for Oreo!
    GPS
    The tablet does not charge from 0% accodring to some users (https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-aosp-8-1-oreo-unlegacy-android-unofficial.4323203/post-87301845). PLEASE DO NOT DRAIN IT COMPLETELY until a fix is found
    You tell :D

Download:
    espresso3g
    espressowifi

Thanks for @LR7875 for making it work on espressowifi!!
    Thanks to Daniel071 for his support! See #306

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: 8.1.0 Oreo
    Updated link in #1 where wifi is working now!
    Great to see that development continues!
    Thanks a lot @Mighty and @html6405 !

From time to time I am reading on XDA or taking a look at our dev chat Channels, even if I am not a big help anymore.

I am spending my rare spare time working on a OpenSource Photobooth project, mainly to run on a raspberry pi.

My daughter was born end of August and now new, different challenges are waiting for me!

Best regards

Andi
    New builds are now available (UnlegacyAndroid 8.1). Both espressowifi and espresso3g has been built.
    • If your model is P3110, P5110, P3113 or P5113, download the espressowifi build.
    • If your model is P3100 or P5100, download the espresso3g build.
    What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status, hardware accelerated video
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

DOWNLOADS:
    The md5sum files are optional. Use them to verify the integrity of the downloaded files.

INSTALL GUIDE (espressowifi)
    INSTALL GUIDE (espresso3g)

CHANGELOG:
    - Implement F2FS support (Merge request)
    - Apply GPU accelerated video patch
    - Upstream changes (if any)

The previous build is available here
    Build scripts for the device available here
    Automated jenkins builds are nearing completion.
    I compiled Unlegacy Android 8.0 builds for espressowifi using sources from thread. Automated builds using jenkins for espresso (wifi) and espresso3g coming soon

DOWNLOAD (espresso)

INSTALL GUIDE

What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

Stock calendar and email apps are missing due to causing numerous build issues.
    If the right stereo speakers has any delayed popping/clicking sounds please let me know.

espressowifi.jpg

Screenshot_20220201-220027.png

Screenshot_20220201-220233.png

Screenshot_20220201-220203.png
    Device specific resources you will need

My manifests files (in .repo/local_manifests/espresso.xml)
    XML:
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="github"
               fetch="https://github.com/"/>

<!-- device specfic files -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso" path="device/samsung/espresso" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso3g" path="device/samsung/espresso3g" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>

<!-- kernel -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_kernel_ti_omap4" path="kernel/ti/omap4"  remote="github" revision="3.4/common"/>
      <project name="airend/android_hardware_ti_omap4" path="hardware/ti/omap4" remote="github" revision="stable"/>
    </manifest>

Need help getting started?

For other questions or support, either contact Mighty or ask for help in the XDA discord

Huge thanks to MightyM17 for the port and support.