[ROM][AOSP][8.1 Oreo] Unlegacy Android (Unofficial)

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 11418521

That's pointless, then you can ditch the whole tablet because EVERYTHING is obsolete by todays standards. The screen is low resolution, battery is awfully slow to charge, headphone DAC is full of noise, processor is ancient and makes everything slow, etc etc. To ditch features is not the point of this community, it is to make new software adapt to the old hardware so we can use it again.

I used the front camera a lot last year and this one taking college classes via Zoom. It's the only tablet I have, don't want to buy another one and make electronic waste when I know it's perfectly capable of doing things like Zoom, even if the other people can't see the details of my ugly face.

Ps: I say all of this to try boost morale, with total respect for the devs. I wish I can help more but I'm a noob, I do what I can but bug hunting takes me weeks, even for something simple like the bt bug I worked on. I will be helping with what I can but please, don't make this another "just web browsing" kind of release...
I can understand you. My situation was same last year but not so bad. Good thing my parents bought me a laptop this year for my school's, tuitions

html6405

Recognized Developer
And yes, we would be working on the stability issues and camera by using the 3.0.101 kernel on the Tab 2 with oreo. The only issue is that @Mighty have a weak laptop that almost cannot build roms. We have to ask for help from developers like @html6405, which as they have a lot of devices to maintain, won't be the fastest update speed.
Cameras are very unlikely, if @html6405 manages to get 3.0 kernel working with oreo there is some chance, but with 3.4 kernel its a no.
BTW, I'm already having a booting 3.0.101 Kernel with working OTG, dock keyboard and many more functions.
It's still unstable, because there are many other commits and backports to do.

I've fixed the camera hal partly, so that it's buildable, but the camera doesn't work so far (I think it's a hal problem),
also, I've found a partly RIL fix, but at the moment only the BASEBAND is known.

Because of other ROM updates, I think will proceed in november with this...

MMXI

May 10, 2021
BTW, I'm already having a booting 3.0.101 Kernel with working OTG, dock keyboard and many more functions.
It's still unstable, because there are many other commits and backports to do.

I've fixed the camera hal partly, so that it's buildable, but the camera doesn't work so far (I think it's a hal problem),
also, I've found a partly RIL fix, but at the moment only the BASEBAND is known.

Because of other ROM updates, I think will proceed in november with this...
I'm using slim7. Never tired RR rom. Is it better than slim7 in overall performance?
Should I downgrade?

foxite

May 22, 2016
@Mighty is having problems with building the rom due to a weak laptop
If they are interested, they can use my computer to build roms.

Send me a DM or something so we can get going. I have no experience building android roms, but I have enough experience building web apps to automate it, with your help, so you can just upload the sources and get a build done by my hardware. Hopefully the delay of uploading the entire source code and downloading the artifacts is less than the time you save.

Mighty

If they are interested, they can use my computer to build roms.

Send me a DM or something so we can get going. I have no experience building android roms, but I have enough experience building web apps to automate it, with your help, so you can just upload the sources and get a build done by my hardware. Hopefully the delay of uploading the entire source code and downloading the artifacts is less than the time you save.
Im grateful for your offer :D but already have found a way to build roms now

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
New Update for espresso3g!
Updated lowmemorykiller
We are using 64 bit binder, instead of 32 bit binder (which was for android 4.4)
Fixed wifi, no more patches needed!
Removed zram as it was causing freezes
You can install apks more than 100mb now
The build is ported to espressowifi. Post #175 is updated.
Thank you @Mighty for the stability fix. It is not until now for the tablet can be meant to be used as a daily driver.

As one may argue, in fact yes you can use zoom, but you have to say that your webcam is broken to your teacher or manager, with a stable OS that zoom (100MB+) can run on.

I mean, only few teachers insist one to show their face in zoom lessons, does they?

Mighty

The build is ported to espressowifi. Post #175 is updated.
Thank you @Mighty for the stability fix. It is not until now for the tablet can be meant to be used as a daily driver.

As one may argue, in fact yes you can use zoom, but you have to say that your webcam is broken to your teacher or manager, with a stable OS that zoom (100MB+) can run on.

I mean, only few teachers insist one to show their face in zoom lessons, does they?
I know that many people need cameras but it's something I cannot fix, cameras are handled by the 2x Cortex M3 cores which are handled by a proprietary blob given by TI. The original was for 3.0 kernel which had camera support but the one for 3.4 kernel doesn't, ig we can ask TI for some solution but idk

Reactions: mirhl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warranties:
    THIS GUIDE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OF BREAKING YOUR PRECIOUS TABLET.
    PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE CONTINUING, AS THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.
    Also, this guide assumes you have the following requirements:
    • Bootloader unlocked
    • TWRP installed

Installation:
    Before proceeding, pick the tablet and go to TWRP.
    Do the normal wipes for clean flash.
    Copy the zip to sdcard or on the tab wherever you like.
    Flash the zip from TWRP.
    Reboot and done, enjoy :)

Problems:
    Wifi connects but shows no internet. (Need help in fixing this!) Fixed!
    No SELinux support yet!
    Cameras will NOT work, as we are using a newer 3.4 kernel for Oreo!
    GPS
    The tablet does not charge from 0% accodring to some users (https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-aosp-8-1-oreo-unlegacy-android-unofficial.4323203/post-87301845). PLEASE DO NOT DRAIN IT COMPLETELY until a fix is found
    You tell :D

Download:
    espresso3g
    espressowifi

Thanks for @LR7875 for making it work on espressowifi!!
    Thanks to Daniel071 for his support! See #306

Source Code:

ROM OS Version: 8.1.0 Oreo
    Updated link in #1 where wifi is working now!
    Great to see that development continues!
    Thanks a lot @Mighty and @html6405 !

From time to time I am reading on XDA or taking a look at our dev chat Channels, even if I am not a big help anymore.

I am spending my rare spare time working on a OpenSource Photobooth project, mainly to run on a raspberry pi.

My daughter was born end of August and now new, different challenges are waiting for me!

Best regards

Andi
    New builds are now available (UnlegacyAndroid 8.1). Both espressowifi and espresso3g has been built.
    • If your model is P3110, P5110, P3113 or P5113, download the espressowifi build.
    • If your model is P3100 or P5100, download the espresso3g build.
    What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status, hardware accelerated video
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

DOWNLOADS:
    The md5sum files are optional. Use them to verify the integrity of the downloaded files.

INSTALL GUIDE (espressowifi)
    INSTALL GUIDE (espresso3g)

CHANGELOG:
    - Implement F2FS support (Merge request)
    - Apply GPU accelerated video patch
    - Upstream changes (if any)

The previous build is available here
    Build scripts for the device available here
    Automated jenkins builds are nearing completion.
    I compiled Unlegacy Android 8.0 builds for espressowifi using sources from thread. Automated builds using jenkins for espresso (wifi) and espresso3g coming soon

DOWNLOAD (espresso)

INSTALL GUIDE

What works: Wifi, bluetooth, stereo audio, autorotate, sdcard, gapps, USB file transfer, battery status
    What doesn't work: Camera (drivers don't support kernel 3.4), gps, selinux, you tell me

Stock calendar and email apps are missing due to causing numerous build issues.
    If the right stereo speakers has any delayed popping/clicking sounds please let me know.

espressowifi.jpg

Screenshot_20220201-220027.png

Screenshot_20220201-220233.png

Screenshot_20220201-220203.png
    Device specific resources you will need

My manifests files (in .repo/local_manifests/espresso.xml)
    XML:
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="github"
               fetch="https://github.com/"/>

<!-- device specfic files -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso" path="device/samsung/espresso" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>
      <project name="MightyM17/android_device_samsung_espresso3g" path="device/samsung/espresso3g" remote="github" revision="aosp-8.1"/>

<!-- kernel -->
      <project name="MightyM17/android_kernel_ti_omap4" path="kernel/ti/omap4"  remote="github" revision="3.4/common"/>
      <project name="airend/android_hardware_ti_omap4" path="hardware/ti/omap4" remote="github" revision="stable"/>
    </manifest>

Need help getting started?

For other questions or support, either contact Mighty or ask for help in the XDA discord

Huge thanks to MightyM17 for the port and support.