[ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [n7000]

Search This thread

CarbonROM

Mar 30, 2013
carbonrom.org
About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

Last edited:

nocoast

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
...Here is the new discussion thread for the CarbonRom n7000 releases....a new round of nightlies will be available in the morning. Kejar31, Morfic, and myself will continue to support the exynos4 line in spite of our fallen brother....Sadly we had to part ways with ToxicThunder...the details of this can be discussed elsewhere. Carbon is dedicated to continuing the advancement and development of the n7000 and i9100. (as well as all of our devices) Next nightly should be up on the servers in a few hours and i highly reccomend checking them out...

Last edited by a moderator:

warfareonly

Dec 20, 2011
Mumbai
Re: [ROM][AOSP][GCC 4.7/-O3] CarbonRom 1.5 beta JB 4.2.2 [n7000] » Mar 3

I'm sorry for asking a stupid question right off the bat, but what is gcc/-O3?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

nocoast

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
I'm sorry for asking a stupid question right off the bat, but what is gcc/-O3?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

GCC 4.7 in this scenario refers to Google's GCC 4.7, i would list that in the title except it doesnt look that nice. You may be familiar with the term 'linaro' Google's GCC 4.7 shares a lot of the same traits and tools as the linaro toolchain and in benchmarking (the ROM...kernel is a different story) it seems to outscore linaro almost everytime (across the board) so for now well be sticking with it....The best explanation of O3 i can give you will come from gentoo wiki Which has some pretty cool excerpts...Here's one that might help you gain an understanding of Os, O2, and O3...
gentoowiki said:
What effects -O3 has
-O3 is the highest optimization level and could possibly make faster code but the applications that benefit from it are very few, usually image and video decoders and such. However the side effects, like larger binary size, affects everything. Larger binaries use more memory, load slower, cause more disc I/O, etc. So compiling a system with -O3 will have the effect that a few applications run slightly faster at the expense of the rest of the system running slightly slower and becoming less responsive.
Linux caches regularly used programs and files in RAM (that's the "cache" part when you run free -m on the command line), so the program may only need loading from the hard disk once (depending on the program and computer usage). Therefore this is less of a problem on systems with large amounts of RAM. A large CPU cache also helps as it is better suited to larger binaries, so you are more likely to see some sort of speed up. So if you have a high-end system, you will suffer less from the problems associated with -O3.

The choice: Summarised
-O2 is the default optimization level. It is ideal for desktop systems because of small binary size which results in faster load from HDD, lower RAM usage and less cache misses on modern CPUs. Servers should also use -O2 since it is considered to be the highest reliable optimization level.
-O3 only degrades application performance as it produces huge binaries which use high amount of HDD, RAM and CPU cache space. Only specific applications such as python and sqlite gain improved performance. This optimization level greatly increases compilation time.
-Os should be used on systems with limited CPU cache (old CPUs, Atom ..). Large executables such as firefox may become more responsive using -Os.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
@Nocoast - Check your PM.

@All else, please stop with the arguing and speculation. Once this gets taken care of, the thread will be cleaned anyways so no point in wasting keystrokes.

Edit: Ok the 2nd post was revised. Please note that all team movings and shakings can be read, delat with, talked about, spammed, whatever on the team site. Whether it be Carbon or some other team. There is no need for it here. This is a Development thread about the ROM and not team politics.

Thanks to all, however bangsti, Galaxtus and nocoast, your volleys had to go to preserve the real reason for this thread....ROM Development

Last edited:
B

baz77

Let's not argue here guys. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If i contributed 0% code, I am sorry I couldn't do more.
I tried to do everything to the best of my ability and I learnt a lot in the process.

Cheers :)

I loved your Rom, pretty solid bro, thanks, we will be seeing you around m8!

parisayo

May 24, 2012
Barrow in Furness

Hope someone can help me here as I love this ROM but at the moment it is becoming unstable for me. I am suffering random reboots and recently getting a huge battery drain. All of a sudden my phone become really hot, almost too hot to touch, and the battery just drops off.

I was on 1.5 beta but have gone back to 1.4. My battery stats show gpsd having a huge drain, any idea what this is and how to fix it? Or could it be something else.

How do I get hold of the latest nightly?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363026696634.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363026696634.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9,487
Reactions: osworup007

nocoast

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
Hope someone can help me here as I love this ROM but at the moment it is becoming unstable for me. I am suffering random reboots and recently getting a huge battery drain. All of a sudden my phone become really hot, almost too hot to touch, and the battery just drops off.

I was on 1.5 beta but have gone back to 1.4. My battery stats show gpsd having a huge drain, any idea what this is and how to fix it? Or could it be something else.

How do I get hold of the latest nightly?

Thanks

Its on http://goo.im/devs/carbon/ Sadly for the moment their service is down..

bfikkert

Sep 7, 2009
Rotterdam

View attachment 1797526

I had this also yesterday.
Gpsd was eating my battery.
I installed terminal emulator. It's free in play store.
First reboot.

Then open terminal emulator.
Type: su
Enter
Type: killall gpsd
Enter.
Close terminal emulator.

I have also better battery stats installed.
So, if all is ok. You will see the battery drain stop.

For me this worked.:)
Battery drain now between 2 and 3% per hour.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Reactions: SirRhor

parisayo

May 24, 2012
Barrow in Furness

yeah thats obviously some kind of wakelock...please try the latest nightly and let me know if the problem persists...

Thanks for the reply, and this may sound stupid but where will I find the latest nightly? Lol

I have performed a full wipe as well as dalvic and cache. I have installed 1.5 beta and will monitor.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

How often are you using the gps on your phone?

Only in apps such as Facebook etc. Not sure how to turn off yet with this ROM lol

:)

NoRmAlY_CrAzY

Jun 12, 2011

Overall the Rom is very smooth but facing problems regarding low sound volume. Can anyone suggest a solution??

coincoin4ever

Oct 21, 2012
Paris
Thanks for the reply, and this may sound stupid but where will I find the latest nightly? Lol

You can find them in the download section for GTN700 : http://goo.im/devs/carbon/n7000

does the nightlies require a full wife coming from stables? or just do it?
I have just wipe cache dalvkik cache from 1.3, 1.4, 1.5beta np with nightlies for the moment :)

edit:
I think I have the battery charging problem mentionned for 1.5beta that even Toxic encountered... Plugged in and charging really really slow...

Reactions: parisayo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

Let's not argue here guys. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If i contributed 0% code, I am sorry I couldn't do more.
    I tried to do everything to the best of my ability and I learnt a lot in the process.

Cheers :)
    ...Here is the new discussion thread for the CarbonRom n7000 releases....a new round of nightlies will be available in the morning. Kejar31, Morfic, and myself will continue to support the exynos4 line in spite of our fallen brother....Sadly we had to part ways with ToxicThunder...the details of this can be discussed elsewhere. Carbon is dedicated to continuing the advancement and development of the n7000 and i9100. (as well as all of our devices) Next nightly should be up on the servers in a few hours and i highly reccomend checking them out...
    Yes, while we work on 4.4 kitkat. .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hi all, I'm a Carbon Rom team member, and just got my hands on a second hand n7000, so am now the maintainer for this device...

When I get home I will root and flash carbon, and try to get the thread out into my name (for easier conscience (easier to see the OP))...

Matt

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

where can i find the launcher settings please ? i want hide the dock and google search bar ....

do notification bar and quick setting toggles get merged in tablet ui ?

We have the stock android launcher, install a 3rd party launcher (like Nova launcher) for your request..

The tab ui does have quick settings :)

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

I hope this rom stays w/o any music player...use your own music player is better than to have a primary bloat player.

We took Apollo out as it was buggy... I know the stock android player is on the market, but not sure if it is available in all countries... I guess users can always get it from XDA though :)

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Haven't tried the ROM yet (I'm downloading right now :D ) but +1, the swipe thingy is super awesome. Please add it :)

As said by moviecut, it is in the rom, you must swipe at the bottom bar (the bit that turns blue)