[ROM][AOSP][Renditions][2.3.4] Savaged-Zen(MOD) Updated Daily 5AM EST

Search This thread

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Hey, I'm just throwing this question out to see if anyone has noticed this as well ... it could be about the kernel or the rom, but I've only noticed it on the rom, so I post here.

I have noticed that pretty consistently since I've started using SZ, I have EXTREMELY high Sensor usage, like a full blue bar in Spare Parts. It doesn't affect battery life a whole lot, but I have noticed that it has affected it a little since my days using the .35 kernel on CM (granted, that could be because of the power regression starting on the .38 that just happened to coincide with the beginning of this problem, but I don't really believe in coincidences). The phone itself sleeps no problem, but the sensor just appears to keep on going, and it does this on pretty much every governor I've tried.

Just curious if anyone else had opened up Spare Parts and noticed obscene sensor usage from Android System. I realize that sometimes these things are phone specific, so before I post anything on the bug site I wanted some confirmation.

Edit: even with this problem, I get over 30 hours battery life. Still a huge fan.

I have noticed this as well, though not on this rom but on Decks rom. I thought maybe it was from being in my pocket or something :confused:

DaKlown

Jul 22, 2010
Atlanta
I've noticed this on all aosp roms if you turn the auto rotate screen option under the display. If you turn it off it goes away though...

Last edited:

LifeInTheGrey

Dec 2, 2009
Boston
I've noticed this on all aosp roms if you turn the auto rotate screen option under the display. If you turn it off it goes away though...

Yeah, but I rather enjoy being able to rotate the screen with certain applications (such as gTalk's video chat), and with that unchecked it disables it system-wide. The only exception I've found is setting browser to "always landscape". Additionally, if you enable it in the system but disable it in all other apps (like in your launcher), the problem persists. It really is a minor nuisance, but considering how flawless this kernel/rom is otherwise, it is worth noting.

igotroot

Dec 4, 2010
3-way calling a success!!!!!!

I have long read and experienced myself the inability to make a 3-way call on AOSP...well, after loving Vaelpak and SavagedZen AOSP Gingerbread ROMs and being determined to stop finding excuses to flash back to HTC Sense ROMs just to have a 3-way call, I have found the way to do so without any mods, diapers, etc....

1. Call a buddy, friend etc and have them answer your call.....tell them to hold on and let you make a three way call.

2. Then press the add call option on bottom left... you will hear a dial tone. Then go to you recent calls or contacts and place a call to another buddy, etc and as usual the call will not go thru......however..do NOT press merge call (in HTC sense you normally would, but its a no no in AOSP dialer.).

3. Repeat step 2 again and that time the call will be made and when 3 party answers THEN YOU CAN press at top left merge call.

Peace

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
Does anyone have a link for the 5/17 gapps? ........link still doesn't work.....been like that for a while now huh?.....thanks guys

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

cheflarry

Feb 20, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I know someone mentioned it before, but when is the sz rom going to have an ad blocker built in? The ads are really annoying in the apps and ad free isn't working for some reason.

Yes the adds are annoying. So why don't u pay for your apps then. That's how the developers get paid.

DaKlown

Jul 22, 2010
Atlanta
I do, but some apps don't have that option.

Edit your host file?

On another note how is this rom working out for everyone? My only gripes would be that my button backlights come on and off as they please no matter if I have auto brightness on or not. Also my battery use has gives relatively less info than it has in the past with other Tom's. Either my android system is sky high in the 70s or its low and the screen is higj and I keep my brightness well below 50%. Also no apps show up in the battery use either which is pretty weird. Not sure if I have an app that's messing up or if its the rom. I tried reading logcat but I have no clue what that stuff means. Any ideas?

BlueHarford

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2010
Abingdon, MD
Edit your host file?

On another note how is this rom working out for everyone? My only gripes would be that my button backlights come on and off as they please no matter if I have auto brightness on or not. Also my battery use has gives relatively less info than it has in the past with other Tom's. Either my android system is sky high in the 70s or its low and the screen is higj and I keep my brightness well below 50%. Also no apps show up in the battery use either which is pretty weird. Not sure if I have an app that's messing up or if its the rom. I tried reading logcat but I have no clue what that stuff means. Any ideas?

it is just an edited host file. we used to have one with our kernel and people freaked, so we removed it.

it will happen, we just got pressing things to focus on right now, anyone is free to submit to gerrit, if you dont want to wait... find the mod, submit it to gerrit... instructions are github.com/Savaged-Zen/android

DaKlown

Jul 22, 2010
Atlanta
it is just an edited host file. we used to have one with our kernel and people freaked, so we removed it.

it will happen, we just got pressing things to focus on right now, anyone is free to submit to gerrit, if you dont want to wait... find the mod, submit it to gerrit... instructions are github.com/Savaged-Zen/android

I was responding to the poster above me about baking ad-free into the tom. The question mark was for sarcasm. I don't think something like that should come baked in as some people don't mind ads and what not. Any chance you reply to the other stuff in my post?

mwielgosz

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2010
xbones.org
Edit your host file?

The button backlight is programmed to turn on or off when a certain level of brightness is reached from the proximity sensor. About.once a second, it takes a reading of how bright your surroundings are and changes.the brightness of the screen or turns the bottom buttons on/off. Back when I was using CM6, my backlights were going nuts in my bathroom, and I discovered that the sensor reading was fluctuating right on the line.

Your battery issues could be a number of things. We could go on for hours about how to use and tune a phone to get the best battery life. As long as you don't have any apps pegging the CPU and you have a decent governor and havs profile selected, your phone should perform well and give you good battery life. Try experimenting with different CPU governors and havs profiles to see what your phone can handle, as they all respond differently.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I noticed that all of the members of the SavagedZen team have nice banners in their signatures and I've noticed ones for other kernels popping up, but I've never seen any SZ banners for users, so to show my support for what I consider to be the best kernel available for the EVO, I thought I'd make one (or several; I made one for the ROM as well). It's nothing spectacular, but I think it looks good (I basically just reformatted content from their website and put it together). Please feel free to use it for yourself. If someone from the SavagedZen team doesn't like this and wants me to take it down, let me know and I'll remove it immediately. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: WFG

Lento10

Apr 4, 2010
I noticed that all of the members of the SavagedZen team have nice banners in their signatures and I've noticed ones for other kernels popping up, but I've never seen any SZ banners for users, so to show my support for what I consider to be the best kernel available for the EVO, I thought I'd make one (or several; I made one for the ROM as well). It's nothing spectacular, but I think it looks good (I basically just reformatted content from their website and put it together). Please feel free to use it for yourself. If someone from the SavagedZen team doesn't like this and wants me to take it down, let me know and I'll remove it immediately. Thanks!

It looks good, long time kernel user.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Reactions: raphenucleus

igotroot

Dec 4, 2010
So far I'm finding this ROM to be very versatile. I've never useda Kernel with HAVS or SBC and I am experiencing a major difference. A donation is in order. I would like to have a black themed Market 2.3.6...I see a few on here but people say the 2.3.6 is hard to find...I've found a few for different model phones, but all android phones should be able to use any phones market right?

selders59

Jul 10, 2008
Cape Coral, Florida
Here ya go, black themed market.

http://db.tt/IqWXV04

So far I'm finding this ROM to be very versatile. I've never useda Kernel with HAVS or SBC and I am experiencing a major difference. A donation is in order. I would like to have a black themed Market 2.3.6...I see a few on here but people say the 2.3.6 is hard to find...I've found a few for different model phones, but all android phones should be able to use any phones market right?

"Hell I don't know anymore"

M4ver1ck

Feb 21, 2011
Knoxville, IA
I've noticed this rom takes forever to boot. I don't know if its just my phone our what. I just noticed it after I flashed sense to reset my gps and surprisingly sense was so much quicker booting into the rom.

Jeremy300

Jan 5, 2011
Java

If you need people who know Java i can always learn it, I would just need some good pratice ideas to get it down. This rom is already sweet, I would like to see it keep getting better. Looking forward to the updated dialer and stuff :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Savaged-Zen ROM
    RC3-Rendition

This is not a CM based ROM, as we have used some hardware librarys from them, and a hand full of features, litterally. We have created this rom from the AOSP google repo, and ported theme chooser directly from T-Mobile.

Thank you:
    Anyone who has ever submitted code to AOSP development. Without you, projects like these would not be possible. (CyanogenMod, Evervolv, etc)
    Our dedicated testers: aimbdd, noahguz, cheflarry
    For helping us set up the repo and countless other reasons: preludedrew
    If I forgot anyone for ANY reason, please kindly PM me and I will correct as needed! No need for flame wars.

Savaged-Zen ROM is an AOSP project based on Google's AOSP Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3). We have incorporated some popular tweaks from other AOSP ROMs, as well as added a bunch of our own.

The main focus on this, it to make a lightweight. FAST ROM that is specifically designed to work perfectly with our Kernel. Right now, we are tweaking the ROM and adding our own custom features that you won't find anywhere else.

Source Code & Additions:
    Github Source
    -----

Full wipes are allways recommended on renditions as framework might change. please always NAND backup before moving from one build to another.

To download go to http://mirror.savaged-zen.com/?renditions
    Anyone who has tried this can confirm if GPS works?

GPS has always worked on our ROM, if your GPS is borked you just need to flash sense and clear your GPS then flash back, its a one time deal unless your a flashaholic... then you'll need to do it often...

i use our ROM daily and use GPS constantly.
    Any other themes?

Sent from the WizeguyEvo
    ohh god yeah......a whole thread of GOODNESS! !!!!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=948109
    Changelog/features

Also see the CHANGELOG
    Stock Gingerbread Launcher (slightly modified)
    WiMAX thanks to TeamWin
    HDMwIn support thanks to TeamWin
    Savaged-Zen CFS 2.0.0 2.6.38.3 SBC/noSBC kernel (switch on-the-fly!)
    Kick ass custom wallpapers
    Notification Power Widget from CM
    CPU Governor/Clock Options from CM
    Working camcorder (thank you cyanogen for helping us with this)
    HAVS user interface
    SBC on/off switch
    Custom status bar icons
    Transparent notification bar
    Theme Chooser
    Theme Chooser compatibility mode
    Many, many more features to come soon!
    Yup, I've tried the new beta Deck, and I'm currently running OMFGB 1.3.1 (sorry SZ, I still got love), and both are based off of 2.3.5. It does feel faster to the touch, smoother overall compared to 2.3.4.

Ok, cool. I don't think SZ DEVs mind a verbal comparison. So far I've been loyal to Ricsim, my first Rom on my OG... VaelPak AOSP, which is very very good with built in mod support, and finally to SavagedZen Mod Renditions. I tried Myn, its cool, but i stuck with AOSP. I like the idea of adding what, when, and how I want. I'm surprised I haven't seen a AOSP only FORUM YET.....maybe all the AOSP DEVs can come together.

AOSP civil-rights activist ...... :D