[ROM] AOSP-Shamu - 5.1.1_r5 - LYZ28E - Pure AOSP [14/07]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
Yep, Chochiwpg said there was no "pure" AOSP ROM without the mods and "tweaks", so I figured it was easy to fill that gap. I added a couple of things I felt didn't take away from AOSP too much, like USB-OTG and Layers (which will be in API 23 for sure anyway).

I'll be looking at enabling HDR in the camera and other fixes like that as well. Things that are there in the Nexus image but are not. I plan on later using this ROM as my absolute base for a custom AOSP ROM anyways and publishing both (as well as another based on the stock ROMs too). Those will have all kinds of features like LED control, toggle control, clear all buttons and the like.

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Yep, Chochiwpg said there was no "pure" AOSP ROM without the mods and "tweaks", so I figured it was easy to fill that gap. I added a couple of things I felt didn't take away from AOSP too much, like USB-OTG and Layers (which will be in API 23 for sure anyway).

I'll be looking at enabling HDR in the camera and other fixes like that as well. Things that are there in the Nexus image but are not. I plan on later using this ROM as my absolute base for a custom AOSP ROM anyways and publishing both (as well as another based on the stock ROMs too). Those will have all kinds of features like LED control, toggle control, clear all buttons and the like.

Simple, easy to use, pure AOSP ROM. It's great thanks again for your hard work.

Also for HDR+ mode you can download the Google camera from the Play Store and you will get that feature.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

jdavis7882

Apr 7, 2013
Weren't there some kernel changes needing to be made for Wi-Fi calling?

I could be wrong but I think the changes were on both ends? If it were on the kernel end would the changes be in the boot img of the LYZ28E(5.1.1_r5) update?

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hey @eng.stk how's it going. I remember back in the Nexus 5 days running Purity ROM with Purified kernel (was my favourite combination) are you still developing Purified kernel/ Code Blue?
Hi :)
Until a couple weeks ago yes, now I don't.
Too many stuff from *****ing users and crappy fellow "devs".
I just pulled the plug, have better things to do...
I just build for me and my friends.
But lets not hijack this ROMs thread, it's past :)

Sent from my Lollipoped Code_Blue Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Hi [emoji1]
Until a couple weeks ago yes, no I don't.
Too many crap from *****ing users and crappy fellow "devs".
I just pulled the plug, have better things to do...
I just build for me and my friends.
But lets not hijack this ROMs thread, it's past :)

Sent from my Lollipoped Code_Blue Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No worries mate, completely understand. Apologize @MattBooth didn't mean to get the thread off topic. Peace.

Reactions: eng.stk

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
I'm very, very lax about my thread topics, generally :)

My new Nexus should arrive tomorrow, all being well.

The reason I sold it is funny and lucky. I paid £399 for a 32GB white version (I had cash, and it was burning a hole in my pocket - it was also Sunday and I wanted it immediately). Then Google messed up and put the UK price on their store as £304 - 32GB and £379 - 64GB. So the next day I returned my N6 to the store for a full refund, planning to spend £20 less on a Blue 64GB version. Only for me to get home and find out Google had made a mistake, and corrected it. But, there was a Blue 64GB new phone on Amazon, with Prime delivery, for £389, so I bought that today. All is well, haha. Still £10 less for double the capacity and in my preferred colour.

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm very, very lax about my thread topics, generally :)

My new Nexus should arrive tomorrow, all being well.

The reason I sold it is funny and lucky. I paid £399 for a 32GB white version (I had cash, and it was burning a hole in my pocket - it was also Sunday and I wanted it immediately). Then Google messed up and put the UK price on their store as £304 - 32GB and £379 - 64GB. So the next day I returned my N6 to the store for a full refund, planning to spend £20 less on a Blue 64GB version. Only for me to get home and find out Google had made a mistake, and corrected it. But, there was a Blue 64GB new phone on Amazon, with Prime delivery, for £389, so I bought that today. All is well, haha. Still £10 less for double the capacity and in my preferred colour.

Wow that's actually a really good deal. I would have done the same thing.

pkgnex

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan
Keep it up!

@MattBooth,

I just recently migrated from the GNex to N6, and I want to thank you for taking this project on. I hope you keep it going.

I predict this ROM will be hugely popular when factory OTA support ends (like Bugless Beast / MMuzzy / Shiny were on GNex... if anyone here is familiar with those) if you keep building it. Once all the "feature-laden" ROMs stop being developed for a device shortly after carrier updates end, pure AOSP is where it's at... and I actually prefer it all the time. I am still stock/rooted/custom kernel at the moment, but will probably start using this ROM soon just to not have to deal with the re-image / OTA / re-root hassle!

BTW, I saw this ROM a few days ago in "Original Android Development" section and had to hunt a while to find it this evening since it switched forums and hasn't had a lot of traffic (yet). I hope the lack of immediate traffic doesn't deter you from continuing this project... there are a lot of Android purists out there looking for a stock-like AOSP ROM. If you build it, they will come!

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
What's the consensus on these changelogs? I was going to roll back to r5 since it had WiFi calling, and it seemed r6 was for tablets. If r7 or r8 are newer and have the WiFi calling I will update today.

Reactions: micmars

miketino

Mar 25, 2013
Liverpool
What's the consensus on these changelogs? I was going to roll back to r5 since it had WiFi calling, and it seemed r6 was for tablets. If r7 or r8 are newer and have the WiFi calling I will update today.

I believe the newest release of stock Images is for project Fi, and that is r8 iirc, and that supports WiFi calling but I don't know if project fi WiFi calling is different. One day vodafone will have WiFi calling ahhh

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
That's exactly correct...R5 is the latest version. R6-R8 are releases specifically for Project Fi, have an earlier release date, and are missing WiFi calling.

The ideal build is to include all of the latest commits for WiFi calling, and merge the elements from R6, R7 and R8 that are not present in R5...check the comments from @BeansTown106 in this post for details...

https://plus.google.com/+SykoPompos/posts/1xcw6jwkK82

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: MattBooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AOSP-Shamu

Information

This is a pure AOSP ROM with no tweaks, extra features or messing around - just fixes for game breaking issues.

This is for purists who just want a totally stock AOSP experience.

Features
    • Android 5.1.1_r5 - LYZ28E
    • Pure AOSP
    • Odex'd and ART optimised
    • OTA Updates (handled by RomHut)
    • Layers v2.1
    • USB OTG enabled
    • Google update service blocked (no wakelock)

Download

Android Lollipop 5.1.1

Download AOSP-Shamu 20150714
    39b383630dec4dcb6270003adb1aa209

Github: here

Note:
    SuperSU is not included by default. I toyed with this idea, and figured it best to leave that up to you to root if you so wish. Many of the intended features of this ROM will work ok without root.

Installation instructions

TWRP 2.8.7.1 or greater is preferred. CWM should be considered "abandoned" these days
    1. Copy the ROM files to your device (I prefer to keep a folder especially for anything ROM related)
    2. Choose "install" in TWRP
    3. Locate this ROM
    4. (Optional) Queue up some other files like SuperSU
    5. Flash

Changelog

post #2

Issues

post #3

Donations

Donations are welcome and accepted here:

MattBooth : Donate here

Permissions

Use this ROM freely in any project you wish, as a base or to modify.

XDA:DevDB Information
    AOSP-Shamu, ROM for the Nexus 6

Contributors
    MattBooth
    Source Code: https://github.com/AOSP-Shamu

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 20150714
    Beta Release Date: 2015-07-14

Created 2015-07-02
    Last Updated 2015-07-14
    Changelog
    • Rebased to LYZ28E (android-5.1.1_r5 Wifi Calling)
    • Enabled the USB OTG removable notification to be dismissed
    • Build official kernel from source (instead of prebuilt - no changes)
    • Use Nexus sounds and ringtones
    • Default to non-enforced encryption (encrypted version found in addons)
    • Enabled tethering without provisioning (for those that affects)
    • Fix for MMS sending FC
    • Removed video editor libraries (not used in Lollipop)
    • Changed zip format from system.dat to non-block method (a system folder, with apk's, etc)
    • Fully removed recovery patching from the zip
    • Various build improvements (mainly for me when building)
    • Added USB OTG support
    • Disabled Google update service from running (as it is not necessary)
    • Now using the user build variant. Odex'd and framework compressed into boot.oat
    • Fixed WiFi display and screen mirroring
    • Added Layers RRO v2.1
    • Updated Dialer icon to proper Lollipop icon
    • Based on LMY48G
    • Nexus wallpaper set as default
    • Nexus boot animation set as default
    • Fixes applied for GMS Location, AOSP Browser and DRM videos (YouTube, Netflix untested)
    • Added OTA Updates (my app) to keep this up to date.
    • Rebased to LYZ28E (android-5.1.1_r5 Wifi Calling)
    • Enabled the USB OTG removable notification to be dismissed
    • Build official kernel from source (instead of prebuilt - no changes)
    • Use Nexus sounds and ringtones
    • Default to non-enforced encryption (encrypted version found in addons)
    • Enabled tethering without provisioning (for those that affects)
    • Fix for MMS sending FC
    • Removed video editor libraries (not used in Lollipop)
    • Changed zip format from system.dat to non-block method (a system folder, with apk's, etc)
    • Fully removed recovery patching from the zip
    • Various build improvements (mainly for me when building)
    • Added USB OTG support
    • Disabled Google update service from running (as it is not necessary)
    • Now using the user build variant. Odex'd and framework compressed into boot.oat
    • Fixed WiFi display and screen mirroring
    • Added Layers RRO v2.1
    • Updated Dialer icon to proper Lollipop icon

Decided to add Layers for you guys. Found some fixes for various things in the CM device repository, including Wi-Fi display/screen mirroring. Will start looking for adding HDR to the camera, if currently possible.
    Warning, though, this is new a "user" build, so it comes force encrypted :D I've provided a non-encrypted kernel in the addons section for the ROM on RomHut (though it's untested, it should work). Should be ok if you flash the ROM, then the kernel, before booting.

I've been known to sleep from time to time!

Awesome, good to know thanks, I'll give it a go or lean / hells. Those are the kernels I use most of the time anyway. Thanks again.

Edit: The kernel that doesn't force encryption in the add ons section did work. ROM booted unecrypted. Just though I'd follow up to let you know. Peace.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Free mobile app